Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

Anyone have the TV schedule for the athletics events in Rio to hand by any chance?

(Is there a schedule by sport I wonder?)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mulberry wrote: »
    Anyone have the TV schedule for the athletics events in Rio to hand by any chance?

The AAI have published a timetable, but only for Irish interests here. Not sure about TV schedules either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Mulberry wrote: »

I will just record the full olympics on the bbc and go from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There's the Athletics Timetable anyway (Rio Time, add 4 hours for Irish Time)

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/365d3b61-a8e6-4553-9dc8-00c317e3636c.pdf

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/athletics-timetable-rio-2016-olympics

BBC One would usually show most of the athletics live but they might switch it to BBC Four or BBC Two if there are British Competitors in other sports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Skid X wrote: »
    There's the Athletics Timetable anyway (Rio Time, add 4 hours for Irish Time)

https://media.aws.iaaf.org/competitioninfo/365d3b61-a8e6-4553-9dc8-00c317e3636c.pdf

https://www.iaaf.org/news/press-release/athletics-timetable-rio-2016-olympics

BBC One would usually show most of the athletics live but they might switch it to BBC Four or BBC Two if there are British Competitors in other sports.

They shouldn't have too much of a scheduling problem at 3am as there will be no need to have a spare channel showing their daytime telly things such as Bargain-Tat-in-the-Attic-Hunt to appease those uninterested in the Olympics.

You can see the timing of the events via this page, just watch out for events at the very AM times appearing on the following days timetable to where it might appear on other schedules:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/schedule

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

robinph wrote: »
    They shouldn't have too much of a scheduling problem at 3am as there will be no need to have a spare channel showing their daytime telly things such as Bargain-Tat-in-the-Attic-Hunt to appease those uninterested in the Olympics.

You can see the timing of the events via this page, just watch out for events at the very AM times appearing on the following days timetable to where it might appear on other schedules:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/rio-2016/schedule

Yeah, but I'm thinking of cases where a High Profile British competitor might be going for Gold in Rowing or Cycling or whatever. In the BBC might switch the Athletics from BBC One to BBC Four (which is also showing blanket coverage).

Not a problem if you are watching live, or if you can record more than one channel at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Dindane

Murph_D wrote: »
    Any sign of Morton Games on TV? Seemed to be on ESPN but not Setanta this year?

It's been on Setanta, was on Sunday and Monday, and was on Irish TV last Friday night,so got a run before Virgin pulled the plug.

The full times are....

Irish TV
    Fri 29 July – 9:00pm

eir Sport
    Sun 31 July – 12:25pm – eir Sport 2
    Mon 1 Aug – 8:00am – eir Sport 2
    Mon 1 Aug – 11:00am – eir Sport 1
    Mon 1 Aug – 12:15pm – eir Sport 2
    Tue 2 Aug – 11:30pm – eir Sport 2
    Wed 3 Aug – 8:00am – eir Sport 1
    Fri 5 Aug – 11:00am – eir Sport 1
    Fri 5 Aug – 3:00pm – eir Sport 2
    Sun 7 Aug – 3:00am – eir Sport 1 (Sat night)
    Sun 7 Aug – 10:30am – eir Sport 1
    Sun 7 Aug – 7:00pm – eir Sport 1

Premier Sports UK
    Sun 31 July – 12:25pm
    Mon 1 Aug – 8:00am
    Mon 1 Aug – 12:15pm
    Tue 2 Aug – 11:30pm
    Fri 5 Aug – 3:00pm

The Premier Sports times seem to correspond with Eir Sport 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,025 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Mo Farrah: The Race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Ciara Mageean out in action in the Diamond League at 20.05, live on Eurosport.

After the season she has ran, will be interesting to see what kind of time she can run in paced Diamond League type race. My guess: 4.01

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

4.01.56 and a PB for Mageean, some running by Muir!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Ciara Mageean out in action in the Diamond League at 20.05, live on Eurosport.

After the season she has ran, will be interesting to see what kind of time she can run in paced Diamond League type race. My guess: 4.01

Hope you had a few quid on that :)

tang1 wrote: »
    4.01.56 and a PB for Mageean, some running by Muir!!

To run a 3.55 off a 2.09 800 is very impressive. Really felt she should have went for it from a long way out in the Olympics given her strong front running capability but its easy to be a back seat analyst in these type of situations. Taking it out in a 1500 is a hugely risky option and rarely works out. Good to see Ciara put in a good time and with her 800 speed focus this season, it bodes well for the future ahead. 1500m championship races are so predictably slow in the first two laps that any other strategy is just a fools game.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

To run a 3.55 off a 2.09 800 is very impressive. Really felt she should have went for it from a long way out in the Olympics given her strong front running capability but its easy to be a back seat analyst in these type of situations. Taking it out in a 1500 is a hugely risky option and rarely works out. Good to see Ciara put in a good time and with her 800 speed focus this season, it bodes well for the future ahead. 1500m championship races are so predictably slow in the first two laps that any other strategy is just a fools game.
    Yep agreed , that run by Ciara really puts her up there with world class runners. Think next year sub 4.00 is reachable and Sonia's recur will hopefully go eventually. Delighted for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Nearly every championship 1500m you see these days seems to be a cagey, slow first 700 and a much faster last 800. Surely that only favours only half the athletes in the field; that is the ones with the fast kick. In other words, the competitors have trained for a 1500 and are running an 800.

A prime example was the womens Europeans this year, won in 4.22 or something like that.

Womens 1500m at RIO, silver medal was 4.10...... Laura Muirs SB is a full 3 seconds quicker than the American who won bronze, and yet she finishes well behind her on the day basically because she is not a 400m runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Nearly every championship 1500m you see these days seems to be a cagey, slow first 700 and a much faster last 800. Surely that only favours only half the athletes in the field; that is the ones with the fast kick. In other words, the competitors have trained for a 1500 and are running an 800.

A prime example was the womens Europeans this year, won in 4.22 or something like that.

Womens 1500m at RIO, silver medal was 4.10...... Laura Muirs SB is a full 3 seconds quicker than the American who won bronze, and yet she finishes well behind her on the day basically because she is not a 400m runner.

Muir is a poor racer IMO. 3:55 is out of this planet (clean WR assuming she is legit), but what good is it if you run like a donkey in the Olympic final?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Muir is a poor racer IMO. 3:55 is out of this planet (clean WR assuming she is legit), but what good is it if you run like a donkey in the Olympic final?

Wouldn't totally agree. The 1500m race in the Olympics was not a 1500m race, it was a 800m race!

Wouldn't totally agree. The 1500m race in the Olympics was not a 1500m race, it was a 800m race!

Irrelevant. Nothing stopping Muir going to the front and running hard. She chose not to. She's a very poor racer relative to her PB. How on earth does a 3:55.2 runner come 7th otherwise!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Irrelevant. Nothing stopping Muir going to the front and running hard. She chose not to. She's a very poor racer relative to her PB. How on earth does a 3:55.2 runner come 7th otherwise!

Well there is something stopping her.

You are saying its possibly a clean WR.

And it possibly is.

However Muir clearly believes she is not in a clean race, she has said so.

And she believes obviously that she is running against people who are potentially faster than her on that basis. For her to win a Gold medal, which she says was her aim, she obviously believes that she can not do that by leading from the start.

In other words, she may have altered her strategy because she believes she was not in a clean race; which would really be a very sorry state of affairs.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part, but I think its plausible.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Well there is something stopping her.

You are saying its possibly a clean WR.

And it possibly is.

However Muir clearly believes she is not in a clean race, she has said so.

And she believes obviously that she is running against people who are potentially faster than her on that basis. For her to win a Gold medal, which she says was her aim, she obviously believes that she can not do that by leading from the start.

In other words, she may have altered her strategy because she believes she was not in a clean race; which would really be a very sorry state of affairs.

Of course this is pure speculation on my part, but I think its plausible.

None of the 6 ahead of her are any more suspect than Muir herself, with the exception of Dibaba who's coach was caught up in a scandal this summer. Is Muir accusing Simpson and Rowbury? Hassan? Bahta? All of them beat her.

And the only ones now faster than her are Dibaba, Ma's Army from China and Eastern European's from the 70s and 80s, so she'd want to pipe down herself. Can't go running 3:55.2 and then call her competitors dirty. That's laughable really.

For the record I think she is probably clean. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt given she is young and ran 3:58 last year.

As far as racing goes, Jenny Simpson is a master in that art. I'd have my money on her over Muir in a championship every time.

None of the 6 ahead of her are any more suspect than Muir herself, with the exception of Dibaba who's coach was caught up in a scandal this summer. Is Muir accusing Simpson and Rowbury? Hassan? Bahta? All of them beat her.

And the only ones now faster than her are Dibaba, Ma's Army from China and Eastern European's from the 70s and 80s, so she'd want to pipe down herself. Can't go running 3:55.2 and then call her competitors dirty. That's laughable really.

For the record I think she is probably clean. I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt given she is young and ran 3:58 last year.

As far as racing goes, Jenny Simpson is a master in that art. I'd have my money on her over Muir in a championship every time.

Probably have to put some of it down to experience. Most of Muir races, there were pace makers for her. Its always easier to lead out with a pacemaker ahead of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Because she went after the leaders and paid for it in the last 100m when the wheels came off. She ran 57.3 between 800 and 1200 trying to stay with the leaders.

All three of the leading pack suffered from that injection in the final 100m (Dibaba - 16.8, Kipyegon 16.1 and Muir - 17.2)

Simpson (3rd) was 2.35 seconds ahead of her and 2.3 of those came in the last 100m where she ran her slowest.

Paced better more than likely she would have medalled but I think she went for the win and we often give out about athletes settling for Bronze or Silver so I wouldn't be overly critical.

Because she went after the leaders and paid for it in the last 100m when the wheels came off. She ran 57.3 between 800 and 1200 trying to stay with the leaders.

All three of the leading pack suffered from that injection in the final 100m (Dibaba - 16.8, Kipyegon 16.1 and Muir - 17.2)

Simpson (3rd) was 2.35 seconds ahead of her and 2.3 of those came in the last 100m where she ran her slowest.

Paced better more than likely she would have medalled but I think she went for the win and we often give out about athletes settling for Bronze or Silver so I wouldn't be overly critical.

Going for the win is admirable. But her method was stupid. Leaving it to the last 700 she never stood a chance. If she wanted the win she should have run hard from the front and taken her chances that the others wouldn't live with her. Not willing to do that then she should have paced the last 700 better and aimed for a medal. She seemed clueless out there and doesn't seem comfortable without somebody teeing up the pace for her. Tim Hutchins was very critical of her tactics in Rio on the DL coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Going for the win is admirable. But her method was stupid. Leaving it to the last 700 she never stood a chance. If she wanted the win she should have run hard from the front and taken her chances that the others wouldn't live with her. Not willing to do that then she should have paced the last 700 better and aimed for a medal. She seemed clueless out there and doesn't seem comfortable without somebody teeing up the pace for her. Tim Hutchins was very critical of her tactics in Rio on the DL coverage.

The WR holder wouldn't live with her driving the pace? (at the time she was 7 seconds slower on paper and 6th fastest in the field). Given that most of these were notable better kickers (handful of sub 2 ability)

The Japanese do that every global championships, unless you are streaks ahead of the field in terms of ability (ala Rudisha in 2012) all you are doing is acting as a pace maker while others conserve energy behind you letting you do the work. Ayana proved this in the 10k with Alice Aprot falling out of the medals as a result from a hard pushed race.

If you look at the way she usually approaches DL it's quite similar to how she did in Rio - Go with leaders (pace maker) drive hard when they drop off and hold on as best possible. Had she driven the pace herself best case scenario she drives the field to faster finishing times as they blow by in latter stages (Rowbury,Hassan,Seyaum, Dibaba, Simpson and Kipyegon have all showed they are able to go sub 2 off a fast pace when they have someone to drive the pace ala DL meetings)

Should be noted that her her fastest 800m split was 2.01 low in both races which lends itself to the belief that she doesn't have the wheels for too much faster and given 1st four in Rio were all 1.59 or quicker a better timed kick may not have made any difference to the medals.

The WR holder wouldn't live with her driving the pace? (at the time she was 7 seconds slower on paper and 6th fastest in the field). Given that most of these were notable better kickers (handful of sub 2 ability)

The Japanese do that every global championships, unless you are streaks ahead of the field in terms of ability (ala Rudisha in 2012) all you are doing is acting as a pace maker while others conserve energy behind you letting you do the work. Ayana proved this in the 10k with Alice Aprot falling out of the medals as a result from a hard pushed race.

If you look at the way she usually approaches DL it's quite similar to how she did in Rio - Go with leaders (pace maker) drive hard when they drop off and hold on as best possible. Had she driven the pace herself best case scenario she drives the field to faster finishing times as they blow by in latter stages (Rowbury,Hassan,Seyaum, Dibaba, Simpson and Kipyegon have all showed they are able to go sub 2 off a fast pace when they have someone to drive the pace ala DL meetings)

Should be noted that her her fastest 800m split was 2.01 low in both races which lends itself to the belief that she doesn't have the wheels for too much faster and given 1st four in Rio were all 1.59 or quicker a better timed kick may not have made any difference to the medals.

Oh I agree going from the gun would just tee it up for others, but would have at least given her a slightly better chance than the tactics she applied in the final, if gold was all she was after.

If on paper she was only 6th going in, do you not think it was a bit stupid on her part to be turning her nose up on a minor medal and trying to follow somebody she had no chance of beating in that kind of tactical race?

It's a fine line between brave and stupid. Her 3:55 one week later only highlights how poorly she executed that race in Rio. I know there were tired bodies out there but none of them could get near her in Paris.

Personally I wasn't surprised she blew up in Rio. Think I called it on that preview thread not long after her 3:57. Hopefully she will learn from it. She needs to develop her 800 speed, which is interesting as she comes from an 800 background.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭unichick

Anyone know a link to see diamond league in Zurich tonight?

unichick wrote: »
    Anyone know a link to see diamond league in Zurich tonight?

http://rt.extremotv.net/extra-4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Barr in 6th. 49.34. He's bound to be knackered.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭runnerholic

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Barr in 6th. 49.34. He's bound to be knackered.

No reason for him to be any more knackered than the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Yup, but he looked knackered if that makes more sense, not as fit overall.

• Advertisement

Well he missed a huge part of the season so you wouldn't expect him to maintain his peak for any duration. Plus, I reckon he went off the boil after the Olympics with his graduation and all.

Still, its just an end of track season race. All the main stuff is done and dusted. Roll on London 2017.

Advertisement