Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert 2016/17 Off-Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

snowbabe wrote: »
    Daughter in tears over Home economics paper ! She said structure of questions changed a bit too. She just blanked , hopefully the rest will be ok for her, she's lashing into English now . Two big papers today was all a bit much I think for her. Just feel a bit helpless at the moment

Sorry to hear that snowbabe - I'm a home ec teacher and thought it was a very traditional.safe paper. Highly do-able. Don't let her dwell on it now though and let her move on. She probably did better than she thinks and remember 20% was for her coursework which generally is done to a high standard if they follow directions properly

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Thanks so much for that I think she just panicked as she learned lipids and didn't expect carbs at all and this threw her a good bit. Suppose her pals saying it was ok upset her too . She was hoping for a B1 ,her classwork was up to a high standard so hopefully she'll pass it . looks like it's going to be a long week here lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Consonata

snowbabe wrote: »
    Thanks so much for that I think she just panicked as she learned lipids and didn't expect carbs at all and this threw her a good bit. Suppose her pals saying it was ok upset her too . She was hoping for a B1 ,her classwork was up to a high standard so hopefully she'll pass it . looks like it's going to be a long week here lol

It's best to avoid post mortems if possible. They can do more harm than good oftentimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Sorry to hear that snowbabe, I hope she's feeling a bit better now. Happens to the best of us, especially when everyone else seemed to find it easy. Make sure she gets a good sleep tonight, it'll all seem much better in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

That was a pretty good English Paper aside from not getting my personal essay done. The whole poetry question B and the "what do you think is the best age to be" thing was pretty weird though, but I got a great laugh when I saw that Stone Age essay title hahaha

Getting increasingly nervous for P2 now though - I suppose I already know my key moments for the comparative but I still have to look over them, still haven't a clue what to study for Hamlet except for the role of women and maybe appearance/perception vs reality, and as for the poetry... I might just die on the spot if Plath or Boland isn't there. I've been trying to learn Keats and Hopkins but they just won't go into my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

Nyctolust wrote: »
    Getting increasingly nervous for P2 now though - I suppose I already know my key moments for the comparative but I still have to look over them, still haven't a clue what to study for Hamlet except for the role of women and maybe appearance/perception vs reality, and as for the poetry... I might just die on the spot if Plath or Boland isn't there. I've been trying to learn Keats and Hopkins but they just won't go into my head.

I'll be thrilled if appearance vs reality comes up! I find I tend to leave the comparative to last when studying. It's fairly straightforward but it's easy to forget the details sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

For Hamlet, I'm doing all the characters, the role of women, quick glance over appearance vs reality/deception and leaving it there. If something horrible comes up I'll probably cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

does anyone know any good points to have for hamlet in the case of appearance vs reality. I haven't really dealt with that and i'm not sure if my quotes would apply. Any small tips would help!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭BadBannana

thetalker wrote: »
    does anyone know any good points to have for hamlet in the case of appearance vs reality. I haven't really dealt with that and i'm not sure if my quotes would apply. Any small tips would help!

Hamlet pretends to be mad. Appearance versus reality.

Hamlet possibly becomes mad. Appearance becomes reality.

There's a good few examples of this

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭snowbabe

Sorry to hear that snowbabe, I hope she's feeling a bit better now. Happens to the best of us, especially when everyone else seemed to find it easy. Make sure she gets a good sleep tonight, it'll all seem much better in the morning.

Hope so thanks everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭thetalker

BadBannana wrote: »
    Hamlet pretends to be mad. Appearance versus reality.

Hamlet possibly becomes mad. Appearance becomes reality.

There's a good few examples of this
    Oh I see, that makes sense. I imagine Claudius and Polonius show this while Horatio hides behind no mask as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

I am dreading today..

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Nyctolust

Was hoping to get a good bit of study done this morning but I've been up early getting sick instead...

Best of luck today everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭ciara18

What did ye think? Really unsure if I answered the 'disturbing psychological thriller' question correctly at all, but really happy with the comparative

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭VG31

ciara18 wrote: »
    What did ye think? Really unsure if I answered the 'disturbing psychological thriller' question correctly at all, but really happy with the comparative

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057750533

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Plath came up for me down in the trenches with ordinary

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Skodaa

ciara18 wrote: »

Very odd question to come up, and the uninvited guest Horatio and Laertes...
    That first Hamlet question was quite broad which made it easier for me, so I quoted a good few times where it suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Anyone here do geog here? What geoecology essays are you learning? I'm banking on human interaction with a biome and characteristics of a soil...

Praying for a tertiary question in the GDA too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

Can someone explain what happens on Leaving Cert day?

Do you have to come in if you can avoid the 'shame'? I've seen that you can view your points online with a PIN.

Can any former leaving cert graduates share their experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Can someone explain what happens on Leaving Cert day?

Do you have to come in if you can avoid the 'shame'? I've seen that you can view your points online with a PIN.

Can any former leaving cert graduates share their experience?

You can collect a certificate which has your results in your school office (it'll be in an envelope, the school put them in envelopes so whoever was in the office saw the result). You don't have to open them in school, I opened mine at home.

You can use your PIN to view them online.

There is no shame in your results. Everyone had to go through the same thing, it is only a process, and everyone is proud that you have gone through that process.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Any hope we could keep the Off-topic thread relatively, well, off-topic? ... a refuge from the insanity? :pac:

I have just moved 60+ plus posts on HL Maths P1 to a separate thread ... >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

A lad in my year is putting bulmers into a thermos flask and bringing it into every exam.

He says it relaxes him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

You can collect a certificate which has your results in your school office (it'll be in an envelope, the school put them in envelopes so whoever was in the office saw the result). You don't have to open them in school, I opened mine at home.

You can use your PIN to view them online.

There is no shame in your results. Everyone had to go through the same thing, it is only a process, and everyone is proud that you have gone through that process.

Agreed. I took my envelope and promptly headed to my car so I wouldn't see anyone. You don't have to open them on the spot with a group of people like you see in th media.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jogd1234

A lad in my year is putting bulmers into a thermos flask and bringing it into every exam.

He says it relaxes him

It's all a great laugh until he gets 625 and makes everyone look like a dick - what a guy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭jeanjolie

He says it relaxes him

Tell him to put Smirnoff Ice and vokda in it and tighten it.

When he opens it during the exam, it'll release a loud bang. Guaranteed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

jeanjolie wrote: »
    Tell him to put Smirnoff Ice and vokda in it and tighten it.

When he opens it during the exam, it'll release a loud bang. Guaranteed.:D

Then pour it all over the paper and proceed to light it on fire if Maths Paper 2 is any harder than Maths Paper 1.

He says it relaxes him

Legend

• Registered Users Posts: 15 doob23

Odd time to be worrying about it, I know, but anyone know good places for debs suits around Dublin? Want to get something I can use for job interviews and ****e once the occasion is over. Date's dress is tentatively red or green, still hasn't been purchased, but I assume I'll be grand with a black suit.

doob23 wrote: »
    Odd time to be worrying about it, I know, but anyone know good places for debs suits around Dublin? Want to get something I can use for job interviews and ****e once the occasion is over. Date's dress is tentatively red or green, still hasn't been purchased, but I assume I'll be grand with a black suit.

I've always thought black suits are bit funeral-y. Might be personal bias though.

I've been told to just get a tie to match the date's dress and leave it at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 doob23

BadBannana wrote: »
    I've always thought black suits are bit funeral-y. Might be personal bias though.

I've been told to just get a tie to match the date's dress and leave it at that

Ehh, I always thought I looked like a bit of a dickhead in bright colours. Sure I might as well be going to a funeral because I'll definitely be dead the morning after

Advertisement