Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Not every person dealing with self harm or suicide is a mess. They don't all hide away and contemplate killing themselves. It's different for each person. I feel like that's a very generalised viewpoint.

I agree. But I'm only speaking with those I know in mind. I'm not speaking on behalf of all sufferers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

If it was a walk to raise awareness for puppy farming and had the same publicity/selfies/awareness as DIL has would the OP be as annoyed? Is it the selfies at a charity event or just selfies at DIL that annoys the OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

If it was a walk to raise awareness for puppy farming and had the same publicity/selfies/awareness as DIL has would the OP be as annoyed? Is it the selfies at a charity event or just selfies at DIL that annoys the OP?

Just darkness into light, I think it's too sensitive an issue and I don't think it's the right way to deal with it. It feels wrong.

Cerisepink wrote: »
    You think about it for a minute. We live in a time where events are created just to take pictures and people accidentally die trying to get that perfect selfie. People have done far more for far less.

This event was created to help people, stand in solidarity with those who have been touched by suicide, to raise money, raise awareness and encourage people to talk about their mental issues. You saw a few selfies and started a thread on Boards. Looks like the selfies are doing their job.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I've seen a lot of photos from this morning and to be very honest, I've yet to see any duckfaces. I've seen a lot of very tired looking faces if anything. It's dark and people have broken their sleep to do the walk. I can't speak for everyone's newsfeed of course, but this what I've seen.

• Advertisement

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Im sorry I got a bit emotive in the moment but your OP was way off the mark and lacked understanding of what the movement is all about.

Dont try and play the victim now.

And I think your attitude is quite dangerous to be honest. Telling people to stop playing the victim? Seriously?

And my post could have been way off the mark and that's why I asked the question of how it helps so I could gain some insight but I'm still entitled to my opinion.

Just darkness into light, I think it's too sensitive an issue and I don't think it's the right way to deal with it. It feels wrong.

So should there be no national coverage of it either? No photos in the local papers next week of people posing for the cameras? It's a dreadfully sad topic but it's been handled beautifully and with respect. My sister in law lost her brother, we walked and talked about him and all the funny memories we have of him. We laughed. Are we insensitive?

DIL isn't this big long somber walk. It fun, it's enjoyable, it's special.

This event was created to help people, stand in solidarity with those who have been touched by suicide, to raise money, raise awareness and encourage people to talk about their mental issues. You saw a few selfies and started a thread on Boards. Looks like the selfies are doing their job.

So your saying it is helping then? Raise money? Excellent. Encourage people to talk? How? And my thread trying to talk about the issue has been attacked so no, the selfies are not doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,437 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

i think all people that take part in this do so for the right reasons. raise awareness, raise funds, etc. no doubt some people have the secondary motivation of a few thanks on fb but who cares. once the results are helping save a few lives, you will need to put up with some of that egotistical behavior.

So should there be no national coverage of it either? No photos in the local papers next week of people posing for the cameras? It's a dreadfully sad topic but it's been handled beautifully and with respect. My sister in law lost her brother, we walked and talked about him and all the funny memories we have of him. We laughed. Are we insensitive?

No of course you are not being insensitive. I understand people do it for different reasons and I started this thread to hear from people like you and to help view the event in a different way but unfortunately I still feel that some, not all people are doing it for the wrong reasons and that I don't think it helps anyone who needs help this instant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Not every person dealing with self harm or suicide is a mess. They don't all hide away and contemplate killing themselves. It's different for each person. I feel like that's a very generalised viewpoint.

This is very relevant.

There's not many people who haven't had a visit from the Black Dog, some where he moves in a while others just a fleeting visit.

The selfies are annoying, granted and I think OP your problem is Facebook related, rather than cause related. Many people I know are de-toxing off Facebook and are all the better for it.

One particular person I know, lives their life on FB and of course was there this morning. However, all the smiles, selfies and attention seeking are masking the fact that person is struggling badly. As are a Lot of those people. It's all just a fake front. "Look how happy I am. It says it on fb and Twitter so it must be true"

I watched that crap show take me out last week. At the end there was a note to say shortly after filming, one of the contestants passed away. It turns out tragically to suicide. Young guy, handsome, clever, outgoing, really outgoing, some would say attention seeker, big social media profile.

the black dog is indiscriminate; he will follow anyone anyone, rich poor, he's not racist, sexist ageist, he does not care if you are fat or skinny.

The message that there is hope, that life is **** sometimes, but ALWAYS after darkness, there is light is what the majority of people will take from today. That is only a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Me.

Probably hundreds more.

Three people I know too, one of whom is in an extremely bad place right now, but has been helped by Pieta House so forced themselves out and also raised several hundred Euro for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I read it again and maybe like Ciderswigger I'm misunderstanding your original question.

I'd agree that 99.9% knew what they were taking part in and why. There is always a small number of people that go to events just to be seen to be there but in this case I reckon that even those few knew what DIL is about.

So your saying it is helping then? Raise money? Excellent. Encourage people to talk? How? And my thread trying to talk about the issue has been attacked so no, the selfies are not doing their job.

This is Boards. You're always going to have people disagree with you! I wouldn't go so far as saying this thread is being attacked.

HOW is it encouraging people to talk? By letting sufferers see that they're not alone. That people care. That it's something thousands of people are passionate about. That so many people have been touched by one theme. That maybe now it's time to go to talk to their doctor. I honestly don't understand why you have such a problem with it.

Edit - you have your opinion and I have mine. I'm going to bow out of this conversation. Well done to anyone who dragged their arse outta bed this morning.

And as it is a serious topic I'm going to leave the Pieta House phone number here too.
    National Suicide Helpline (Pieta House)
    1800 247 247

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You think about it for a minute. We live in a time where events are created just to take pictures and people accidentally die trying to get that perfect selfie. People have done far more for far less.

I'd prefer people to die from stupidity in getting that perfect selfie rather than thinking that there is no one there to help them and therefore ending their own lives. DIL gets out the word that help is there for those that are in such a dark place. Stupidity on the other hand can't be prevented a lot of the time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

What do you think is the right way to deal with it?

You forget that this whole darkness into light started because mental health issues and suicide were such taboo subjects. This was a nice poignant way of symbolising that darkness can fade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Exactly, I've said I can see the good but it's being ruined by the bad. Of course it can be a beautiful thing but like Anna said a selfie of Laura from down the road wouldn't help me if I was struggling. Also how many people needing help right now go on these walks? We're all for discussions on mental health and how we can make it better and you have people being called names (aka me) for saying that I don't think all the selfies are helping. That's a national crisis!

I needed help when I went on one. It was amazing to see so many people out walking at a crazy hour for a great cause. Hearing people talk about loved ones they'd lost, seeing people with banners and t-shirts of family and friends they'd lost really made me realise that I needed to get help or else it could be me on a t-shirt by the next walk.

anna080 wrote: »
    Anyone I know struggling with their mental health wouldn't be caught dead doing the walk. They barely have the mental wherewithall to go to the shop and buy a box of tea bags.
    The funds raised are great though. And in theory I do like the idea of the walk- solidarity etc.. but from experience I feel those who need the help most are the least likely to take part.

You have zero understanding of mental health issues.

What do you think is the right way to deal with it?

You forget that this whole darkness into light started because mental health issues and suicide were such taboo subjects. This was a nice poignant way of symbolising that darkness can fade.

Maybe "not the right way to deal with it" wasn't the right words to use. I honestly can see the beauty in walking into the darkness it's a lovely symbol and I hope it does do alot of good and help break taboo. And honestly I don't know what the right way to deal with it is but I still don't think a selfie of someone is going to help. It's the simple things in life, be a bit kinder to people, be open and sensitive, point people in the right direction.

EVERYONE struggles with mental health in some form or another. For you to tell people they don't understand is just wrong.

• Advertisement

EVERYONE struggles with mental health in some form or another. For you to tell people they don't understand is just wrong.

The poster I replied to had zero understanding of it.

I needed help when I went on one. It was amazing to see so many people out walking at a crazy hour for a great cause. Hearing people talk about loved ones they'd lost, seeing people with banners and t-shirts of family and friends they'd lost really made me realise that I needed to get help or else it could be me on a t-shirt by the next walk.

I'm so glad it helped you! And that's what the walk should be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I already said my father died by suicide 6 years ago. Lost a college friend through it as well. Imagine that, on a thread about suicide and helping others, to come out with such an insulting and apathetic comment such as yours. Irony. Irony everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Don't be so negative. How is a marathon that gets people out of the house and active and spreading awareness about a formerly shameful mental health issue bad in any way? So what if people have fun while doing it an take selfies? My little sister did it for fun as she's 13 and doesn't understand it really but so what harm? Lots of people do it because they know suicidal people or lost people to suicide and I'm sure it gives them peace of mind as well to know theyre at least trying to make a difference

There's a guy I'm friends with online, he's clearly struggling and seems like he's on the point of a breakdown from the things he says. He even mentions suicide. Are people helping him? No, most are being horrible calling him names and telling him to cop on to himself. Where's the sense in that?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I still don't think a selfie of someone is going to help..

I really don't get your distain about selfies.

Do you really not see how it can help someone who feels totally alone and isolated, to see faces of people in their area out walking to raise awareness, sending a message that they're not alone, that there are people in close proximity who care, who may even be going through the same thing?

xzanti wrote: »
    I really don't get your distain about selfies.

Do you really not see how it can help someone who feels totally alone and isolated, to see faces of people in their area out walking to raise awareness, sending a message that they're not alone, that there are people in close proximity who care, who may even be going through the same thing?

Where are these people if I need help? Can I call them? Most of them wouldn't even say hello if I met them in the street. So hell no I can't see it.

anna080 wrote: »
    I already said my father died by suicide 6 years ago. Lost a college friend through it as well. Imagine that, on a thread about suicide and helping others, to come out with such an insulting and apathetic comment such as yours. Irony. Irony everywhere.

What's that got to do with your understanding of mental health issues?? You stated that anyone you know wouldn't be able to go to the shops, never mind a walk and some people including your father died by suicide, which I am incredibly sorry for, but that doesn't give you an inherent understanding of mental health. So you may have a limited experience of it, but you also seem to have a limited understanding of it too. It's not a bad thing, it's just your consequences have shown you a narrow vision of it. I shouldn't have said zero understanding, I'm sorry for that.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Don't be so negative. How is a marathon that gets people out of the house and active and spreading awareness about a formerly shameful mental health issue bad in any way? So what if people have fun while doing it an take selfies? My little sister did it for fun as she's 13 and doesn't understand it really but so what harm? Lots of people do it because they know suicidal people or lost people to suicide and I'm sure it gives them peace of mind as well to know theyre at least trying to make a difference

I know I'm being negative, and this thread has turned very negative and that's why I started this thread so I could here from people about the benefits of the walk and the positives. My issue was with the selfies not the walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,578 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Where are these people if I need help? Can I call them? Most of them wouldn't even say hello if I met them in the street. So hell no I can't see it.

It's not about being able to identify the specific people who you can talk to. Plenty of people would love to help but know they're not qualified for a start.

But it's about bringing suicide and feeling suicidal into the cm national consciousness and making it less taboo. About making people think it's ok to not be ok and that there is a service there to help...people to talk to.

Advertisement