Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Cerisepink wrote: »
    Hey I'm as guilty as the next person, I don't post many selfies but I do share a lot of my travel pictures and I enjoy doing that and getting my "likes" but I don't think it causes anyone any harm. But selfies for suicide? I'm still debating if it might actually do some harm. I know it didn't make me feel good this morning when I went online so how do you know others haven't felt that way too? And I'm fully aware that's a negative belief on my part and for my own mental health I should work on that but did you read my post about a guy I'm friends with online? He needs help and is told to cop on to himself. It's not right.

I've a facbook account and I very rarely put anything up on it. I personally don't see the harm in people putting up a picture on facebook of them doing the Darkness into Light walk. If anything it just might make somebody talk to a person about an issue they might be having because having. Suicides have always happened and if we learnt anything the whole attitude of not talking about the issue and sweeping it under the carpet doesn't help.
    The posts I hear that depresses people on Facebook are generally when they see their friends doing stuff such as starting relationships/going on holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Hey I'm as guilty as the next person, I don't post many selfies but I do share a lot of my travel pictures and I enjoy doing that and getting my "likes" but I don't think it causes anyone any harm. But selfies for suicide? I'm still debating if it might actually do some harm. I know it didn't make me feel good this morning when I went online so how do you know others haven't felt that way too? And I'm fully aware that's a negative belief on my part and for my own mental health I should work on that but did you read my post about a guy I'm friends with online? He needs help and is told to cop on to himself. It's not right.

I think you are misinterpreting the meaning behind the walk.
    It isn't a mourning or a funeral parade, it is a walk to celebrate awareness of the issues, spread hope, togetherness and opening up about your experience, remembering loved ones who fell victim to the illness and tackling the stigma associated with mental illness. And of course raising funds.

It is a very informal and friendly event. That is what makes it so appealling and helps those who see pictures of these people in their yellow t-shirts who have experienced mental illness (the darkness) come out the other side (into the light) showing such a hopeful and happier fortitude, it may help them to see there is a way out from their own ailments.

As I said, it isn't a candle light vigil. I think that is a point you are missing.

Who told your friend to cop on??

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Definitley not. But if we are serious about actually reaching a stage in the future where suicide and depression rates are much lower, a first step is working out just what is it about nowdays that has so many people depressed compared to the past. Then at least we can try to tweak our attitudes and behaviour a bit to make life a bit less depressing for each other. A persons mental state at a given time is the result of a long personal sequence of events and thoughts so the causes of one person being depressed will not be the exact same as another person, but I believe on a societal level factors that impinge on us all or most of us can have an impact on a lot of peoples mental health.

It is communism. Nobody succeeds in case it may hurt the feelings of those who don't.

There is massive problem in sports that is brewing where kids get things like participation medals or they don't keep scores on team sports. Eventually when they turn into adults they are incapable of dealing with the disappointments of life. You turn into a bunch of Arsenal players and they get bullied by Natural Alpha Males like Diego Costa and John Terry. Complete bastards.

Something that Communists and cultural Marxists fail to factor in to their societal equations is that there are bastards in world. The world is full of Diego Costa's. They beat you up, they steal your woman, they find gaps in the market to exploit and create their own wealth, they drive cars you can't afford, live in houses you can only dream of, they go on holidays to places you've never heard of. And when you measure yourself up to the Diego Costa's of this world, you're always going to feel inadequate or not up to this world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Matt.ie

Some interesting posts here.

In my town,kilrush,the organising committee stepped down some weeks ago as zero funds were returned from the central fund for mental health services in the area,meanwhile the suicides continue.

Locals have organised another event where all proceeds raised will stay in the area,no money towards TV advert campaigns,nothing given toward a ceo wage packet.

In my opinion,this was the only sensible thing to do. Keep funds raised local.

Way too much charity organisations going on at the moment,way too many and only a fraction of the money raised getting to the front line where it's needed,charities of course is big business these days,very big.

It is communism. Nobody succeeds in case it may hurt the feelings of those who don't.

There is massive problem in sports that is brewing where kids get things like participation medals or they don't keep scores on team sports. Eventually when they turn into adults they are incapable of dealing with the disappointments of life. You turn into a bunch of Arsenal players and they get bullied by Natural Alpha Males like Diego Costa and John Terry. Complete bastards.

Something that Communists and cultural Marxists fail to factor in to their societal equations is that there are bastards in world. The world is full of Diego Costa's. They beat you up, they steal your woman, they find gaps in the market to exploit and create their own wealth, they drive cars you can't afford, live in houses you can only dream of, they go on holidays to places you've never heard of. And when you measure yourself up to the Diego Costa's of this world, you're always going to feel inadequate or not up to this world.

Ireland in the 1950s and 1960s wasn't communist yet it had the lowest suicide rate in the world. My thinking is that there were features of that non-communist society that were conducive to better good mental health that are absent here nowadays nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,307 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ireland in the 1950s and 1960s wasn't communist yet it had the lowest suicide rate in the world. My thinking is that there were features of that non-communist society that were conducive to better good mental health that are absent here nowadays nowadays.

From speaking to people of that generation the main reason the suicide rate was so low was because nobody admitted to it because of the stigma attached to it

• Registered Users Posts: 23 slits

When I was 17 I was severely suicidal and unable to get help from child mental health services as I was too old and my gp referred me to pieta house, I didn't receive help from them as I was autistic and they wouldn't deal with me there, at least that's what they told me.
    For a long time I was bitter towards them thinking "there's darkness into light..if you're not autistic" but I realise now that just because they couldn't help me doesn't mean they can't help others.
    So awareness for them, that they are able to help people is a good thing, those millions of selfies could be seen as advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I much prefer donating to Console....wait a second!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

So you don't feel that being called a "miserable git" and being told to quote "get ****ed" isn't being attacked? I know I haven't been on boards very long but even I know that there is a way to respectfully disagree with someones opinion rather than being down right nasty.

Bit unfair to quote me after I'd said that I was bowing out of this conversation. I've only seen this comment now.

Up until my last comment I didnt see anyone tell you to "get ****ed" and if you're going to get bent out of shape over some randomer calling you a "miserable git" then maybe Boards isn't for you. But it seems like Facebook isn't for you either so maybe a digital detox would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 646 ✭✭✭koumi

Cerisepink wrote:
    This makes sense,as does the post above that asks why we have more of a suicide problem now than in the past. Someone here said I was just being negative but honestly I think we as people are drawn to negativity, we love it for some crazy reason! That needs to change too. I've just heard on the news that there are 10 deaths per week in Ireland to suicide. Why is all this awareness not working? Maybe ignorance is bliss.
    There is a lot of angry and unhappy people in the world, I know I can't change that but learning I don't have to suffer for it either has made my own life a lot healthier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

Who told your friend to cop on??[/QUOTE]

His "friends" online. Even told him to "go get a job" and called him an "eegit" and to stop being "miserable". This was all from different people. Is that right?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

I find the thing a bit cringey at this stage.

Good on them for raising money and stuff but "HOPE" spelled out in fairy candles candles becomes a bit tiresome now.

I also think the whole "awareness" and understanding thing has gone way too far. There are people using mental health reasons to try and get away with really ****ty behaviour.

I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard that something like a book/tv series/film/programme should be on the school curriculum. If it was up to some of these self promoting kooks, the whole school curriculum would be about mental health. Its as if they are trying to talk the kids into depression.

150,000 people getting out of bed at 3am to go for a walk to raise awareness for mental health issues is cringey & tiresome.

Heard it all now. :confused:

Well done to everybody who took part & donated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

His "friends" online. Even told him to "go get a job" and called him an "eegit" and to stop being "miserable". This was all from different people. Is that right?

Without knowing the actual post, the actual replies, the dynamics of their relationship and if they were wearing yellow t-shirts while taking selfies during DIL it's impossible to know what was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

Bit unfair to quote me after I'd said that I was bowing out of this conversation. I've only seen this comment now.

Up until my last comment I didnt see anyone tell you to "get ****ed" and if you're going to get bent out of shape over some randomer calling you a "miserable git" then maybe Boards isn't for you. But it seems like Facebook isn't for you either so maybe a digital detox would be a good idea.

Sorry I didn't know that was you who said you were bowing out, there has been so many replies it's all a bit confusing.

As for the digital detox? Fully agree, but I shouldn't have to keep my opinions to myself and not contribute to anything for fear of childish name calling from people who can't respectfully disagree with someone's opinion. To be honest I think the thread should have ended with Anna's post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Eh, of course it isn't right?

I don't quite get what this has anything to do with selfies at an awareness rally? Were they people that were taking selfies at the rally that said it to him.

I also think there is more context to this "story". Is it just because they said it on Facebook that you are bringing it up?
    I'm lost as to what your point is.

Advertisement