Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again

Options
  • 06-05-2017 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

It's that time of year again when my Facebook Timeline is flooded with selfies from darkness into light. I can understand the imagery behind it and what it stands for but to me it just comes across as a selfie opportunity these days. I know suicide is a sensitive topic but I'd like to know how darkness into light helps the person at home whose feeling suicidal? If it's to raise funds for counselling services fair enough but then why the need for a million selfies?

Is there any need to do the darkness into light in the first place?
    Can't we all just be a little less s**t to each other instead!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

You could always delete your account from Facebook if you don't agree with other peoples methods.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

You could always delete your account from Facebook if you don't agree with other peoples methods.

Really? Wow that didn't occur to me at all... Why should I? I use it to keep in touch with friends and family. You didn't answer the question.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, you've utterly missed the point of making a public statement and spreading a positive, hopeful story amongst peers.

Cerisepink wrote: »
    Really? Wow that didn't occur to me at all... Why should I? I use it to keep in touch with friends and family. You didn't answer the question.

:rolleyes:

Even in a court of law I have the right not to answer questions.

An File wrote: »
    Yeah, you've utterly missed the point of making a public statement and spreading a positive, hopeful story amongst peers.

Hey feel free to tell me I'm wrong, but at least tell me how it does this? Genuinely want to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Seriously? How does sharing awareness not help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Genuinely want to know.

I don't think you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

petes wrote: »
    Seriously? How does sharing awareness not help?

We all know what suicide is by now. We don't need awareness, we need help.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,894 ✭✭✭✭anewme

A number of people I know have brought their children (not too small) and walked as a family. There have been many "but why" ? type questions from the youngsters. Perfect time to let them know "it's ok not to be ok"

• Advertisement

We all know what suicide is by now. We don't need awareness, we need help.

We do need awareness. So many people out there are in a tough spot and may not have anyone to talk to. You really don't have a clue what you're talking about!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Since you asked how it helps the person at home feeling suicidal - it gave someone suicidal who is very close to me, something to focus on, something to aim to do, to drag them through their awful feelings. And I couldn't be prouder of them for doing it.

Pieta house are fantastic

I'm sure Pieta House could answer exactly how it benefits as they are working on the front line. From their website:

All information can be found on our website http://dil.pieta.ie or, alternatively, on the Pieta House Facebook page or Facebook page of your chosen venue. Please keep an eye out as information will be updated all the time. If there is something specific you need to ask, and you can’t find it online, then feel free to email: comms@pieta.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It also raises money and awareness for Pieta House who help people.

Give Facebook a miss for a day, donate to Pieta House and Bob's your uncle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Crazy thread. It's obvious how it helps people who feel suicidal, it raises money for counselling services! If people want to bask a little in taking part in a charitable event so what, whatever gets them to contribute.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's that time of year again when my Facebook Timeline is flooded with selfies from darkness into light. I can understand the imagery behind it and what it stands for but to me it just comes across as a selfie opportunity these days. I know suicide is a sensitive topic but I'd like to know how darkness into light helps the person at home whose feeling suicidal? If it's to raise funds for counselling services fair enough but then why the need for a million selfies?

Is there any need to do the darkness into light in the first place?
    Can't we all just be a little less s**t to each other instead!?

Miserable git.

xzanti wrote: »
    Miserable git.

Haha lovely. So you all want people to open up and ask for help but as soon as someone asks a genuine questions about how you can help they get called names. The irony is laughable! Your priorities are messed up.

A big thanks to people who answered my question respectfully and with genuine fact. You have given me a different perspective to think about and hey who knows maybe i might find myself in a yellow t-shirt next year but in the meantime I'm just going to concentrate on being a good friend to those around me and not calling people names who don't agree with my opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

It's all about attention seeking. I'm not on facebook but if i was i'd put a picture of myself sound asleep in my bed at 4am this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Even if the primary motivation of people posting pictures from DIL isn't to raise awareness, they have still contributed to Pieta Hous amd to raising awareness. I'm don't know where the negative is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OP I think your missing the bigger picture. the event is to raise money for suicide services. People take selfies all the time, that's nothing new and naturally if they're up and walking/runnng at some ungodly hour then they probably gonna want to show that off to their friends/family.

I personally think selfies regardless of the occasion as childish and daft but they don't bother me, each to their own.

By the way, I deleted my FB account about 3 months ago and it's been great, my phone battery now lasts the entire day sometimes nearly 2 days and I'm not been bombarded with negative **** and news which is all FB seems to be these days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

I remember once someone moaning about the time of year when parents put up pics of their kids in front of a door in their uniforms on the first day of school. This was all the while said muppet had a profile pic of himself in front of a door in his work uniform :pac:

There's a lot of things you can moan about with Facebook, but I think anyone who does the darkness into light does so for a good reason and quite often for a personal one too. Let them have their selfies.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Imagine losing a brother, a sister, a child, a parent, a best friend, a team-mate, a cousin, a lover, an uncle or an aunt, and knowing you'll never see them or spend time with them ever again.

Imagine knowing how miserable and alone they felt before they saw suicide as the only choice.

Then once a year you get to spend an hour or so with others who've had similar losses. You don't even have to share your stories, you just know that the people around you understand. You're out remembering someone really special, surrounded by thousands of others, celebrating the joy of being alive and offering hope to others. Of course some people are going to want to take a picture. It's a moment of joy born out of utter sadness.

OP I think your missing the bigger picture. the event is to raise money for suicide services. People take selfies all the time, that's nothing new and naturally if they're up and walking/runnng at some ungodly hour then they probably gonna want to show that off to their friends/family.

I personally think selfies regardless of the occasion as childish and daft but they don't bother me, each to their own.

By the way, I deleted my FB account about 3 months ago and it's been great, my phone battery now lasts the entire day sometimes nearly 2 days and I'm not been bombarded with negative **** and news which is all FB seems to be these days.

Thanks for your input. I think maybe it's Facebook that I have an issue with, it probably is bringing out the negativity in me and I'm always calling bulls**t on people's motivations lately but I mean is deleting your account the only way to stop that? Boards is also full of negatively and "miserable gits" apparently. So where does it end? Delete the lot? Maybe not such a bad idea ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭clairewithani

I think Darkness into Light is fantastic but the OP's point has some merit. There are too many people now whose primary priority after doing something good is to let others know on Facebook what a great person they are. Not everyone obviously but a sizeable number.

An File wrote: »
    Imagine losing a brother, a sister, a child, a parent, a best friend, a team-mate, a cousin, a lover, an uncle or an aunt, and knowing you'll never see them or spend time with them ever again.

Imagine knowing how miserable and alone they felt before they saw suicide as the only choice.

Then once a year you get to spend an hour or so with others who've had similar losses. You don't even have to share your stories, you just know that the people around you understand. You're out remembering someone really special, surrounded by thousands of others, celebrating the joy of being alive and offering hope to others. Of course some people are going to want to take a picture. It's a moment of joy born out of utter sadness.

That's a beautiful post thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

xzanti wrote: »
    Miserable git.

Mod:

Less of this please

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Thanks for your input. I think maybe it's Facebook that I have an issue with, it probably is bringing out the negativity in me and I'm always calling bulls**t on people's motivations lately but I mean is deleting your account the only way to stop that? Boards is also full of negatively and "miserable gits" apparently. So where does it end? Delete the lot? Maybe not such a bad idea ;):D

Boards isn't the same as FB, if a title of a thread doesn't interest you then don't read it. It's different on FB where titles aren't used and you have to read a post to know what it's about.

It does sound like your issue is with FB and not people taking selfies, deactivate your account for a week and see how it effects you and you can then consider permanently deleting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Kind of agree with the OP. It's like when you see people posting about finding a homeless person and then dragging them to Mcdonalds to pose for a cringy selfie with them so they feel good and let everyone else see how great they are.

Whatever happened to Apollo House?

Mod:

Less of this please

I won't post on this thread again but this is what's wrong with boards!

• Advertisement

Even if the primary motivation of people posting pictures from DIL isn't to raise awareness, they have still contributed to Pieta Hous amd to raising awareness. I'm don't know where the negative is.

I agree, any awareness is good awareness I guess even if the motives are not, but I don't know, something just feels a bit wrong about it.

Advertisement