Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That time of year again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cerisepink

Cerisepink wrote: »
    I agree, any awareness is good awareness I guess even if the motives are not, but I don't know, something just feels a bit wrong about it.

It also feels wrong when I see people posting stuff about mental health saying thing's like "you can always talk to me in a crisis" when I know for a fact from knowing these people personally that they would be the last person I could talk to if I needed to. People need genuine help from people who can like pieta house not from people copying and sharing things because everyone else is. Back up what you post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I have the suspicion that the OP is of a limited understanding.
    Its only a suspicion mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

It's that time of year again when my Facebook Timeline is flooded with selfies from darkness into light. I can understand the imagery behind it and what it stands for but to me it just comes across as a selfie opportunity these days. I know suicide is a sensitive topic but I'd like to know how darkness into light helps the person at home whose feeling suicidal? If it's to raise funds for counselling services fair enough but then why the need for a million selfies?

Is there any need to do the darkness into light in the first place?
    Can't we all just be a little less s**t to each other instead!?

What an absolute shambles of a comment only an arsehole could make.

To be frank, from a son of suicide get ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It also feels wrong when I see people posting stuff about mental health saying thing's like "you can always talk to me in a crisis" when I know for a fact from knowing these people personally that they would be the last person I could talk to if I needed to. People need genuine help from people who can like pieta house not from people copying and sharing things because everyone else is. Back up what you post.

Just because you wouldn't talk to that person doesn't mean that there isn't someone else they are friends with who may be going through a difficult time and would talk to them. Or someone who sees it who may talk to someone else instead. It sounds like Facebook just isn't for you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I opened all my social media this morning and saw the same. Selfie after selfie. Fair play to everyone who took part, the point is to raise awareness afterall, so I suppose however way people go about that it's still raising awareness?
    I did the walk myself a few years ago, but didn't feel the need to show I was doing it or take a photo of myself, I just did it. I think most people doing it are doing it for good reasons, but there'll always be the attention seekers who probably wouldn't do it if it meant you couldn't take a selfie.
    And before anyone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about, I lost my father to suicide 6 years ago so I understand perfectly well.

• Advertisement

anna080 wrote: »
    I opened all my social media this morning and saw the same. Selfie after selfie. Fair play to everyone who took part, the point is to raise awareness afterall, so I suppose however way people go about that it's still raising awareness?
    I did the walk myself a few years ago, but didn't feel the need to show I was doing it or take a photo of myself, I just did it. I think most people doing it are doing it for good reasons, but there'll always be the attention seekers who probably wouldn't do it if it meant you couldn't take a selfie.
    And before anyone tells me I don't know what I'm talking about, I lost my father to suicide 6 years ago so I understand perfectly well.

Hashtags etc, are all very important to raise awareness and gain momentum through social media channels. I lost my father too through it. Social media has a part to play. I have little or no presence on social media but I felt today was worthy of it for sure.

Getting people to open up and talk is the aim.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Hashtags etc, are all very important to raise awareness and gain momentum through social media channels. I lost my father too through it. Social media has a part to play.

Getting people to open up and talk is the aim.

Is it going to get someone to open up and talk though? I mean, how is seeing a selfie of someone doing the walk going to prompt someone into opening up? Genuine question. The awareness raised is great- and the funds will go towards helping those in need. But, and maybe this is ignorant of me, I can't see how a selfie of Laura down the road is going to help someone who is feeling in the gutter and like there is no hope. It's just not that simple.
    There is an element of attention seeking to this, whether people want to see it or not.

Is it going to get someone to open up and talk though? I mean, how is seeing a selfie of someone doing the walk going to prompt someone into opening up? Genuine question. The awareness raised is great- and the funds will go towards helping those in need. But, and maybe this is ignorant of me, I can't see how a selfie of Laura down the road is going to help someone who is feeling in the gutter and like there is no hope. It's just not that simple.

If it gets one extra person to open up and talk isn't that enough? I think so. Without it where would we be? Suicide is a national crisis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

... I think most people doing it are doing it for good reasons, but there'll always be the attention seekers who probably wouldn't do it if it meant you couldn't take a selfie...

I dunno, I think you'd want to be a pretty dedicated attention whore to be willing to get up at 3am and go for a chilly walk just to post a selfie.

In response to the OP, as others have stated it's about awareness and also about the feeling of togetherness. That there are 1000s of people who are willing to show their support and love by walking on behalf of someone who died from suicide, or walking with someone who is currently dealing with bad thoughts. Even those who are fortunate to have never had suicide touch their lives walk to show solidarity. It's the most beautiful thing. All these yellow tshirts, the darkness mixed with the sound of people chatting and laughing as you walk past tiny candles dotted around the place. There's a wonderful atmosphere. If a selfie can save a life then let me take a million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    Would more than 20% of them even know why they're going on the walk though? It's the rest that I think the OP meant.

Would more than 20% of the people on the DIL walk know why they're on the walk, is that what you're asking? I'd guess 99.9% would know. The .1 would possibly be young children.

Edit - maybe I'm misunderstanding your question.

Would more than 20% of them even know why they're going on the walk though? It's the rest that I think the OP meant.

Exactly, I've said I can see the good but it's being ruined by the bad. Of course it can be a beautiful thing but like Anna said a selfie of Laura from down the road wouldn't help me if I was struggling. Also how many people needing help right now go on these walks? We're all for discussions on mental health and how we can make it better and you have people being called names (aka me) for saying that I don't think all the selfies are helping. That's a national crisis!

bee06 wrote: »
    Just because you wouldn't talk to that person doesn't mean that there isn't someone else they are friends with who may be going through a difficult time and would talk to them. Or someone who sees it who may talk to someone else instead. It sounds like Facebook just isn't for you really.

I like your point! Maybe I wouldn't talk to them but someone might, I just think we need to pick the right people to talk to and not someone who can't be or won't be sensitive in return. And I think a cut back from social media is definitely needed. Especially today.

I'd say they know it's for some charity and they go for some social event and the aforementioned selfie opportunity for snapchat, but I really doubt 99.9% know the specifics of what the cause is.

I would have to respectfully disagree. So so so many people in my town have talked about for weeks. Suicide is everywhere and suicide prevention is something that is constantly discussed. It's called Darkness Into Light, the words "self harm or suicide crisis centre" are on the tshirts and posters. I really don't believe that people don't know what they're walking for.

Exactly, I've said I can see the good but it's being ruined by the bad. Of course it can be a beautiful thing but like Anna said a selfie of Laura from down the road wouldn't help me if I was struggling. Also how many people needing help right now go on these walks? We're all for discussions on mental health and how we can make it better and you have people being called names (aka me) for saying that I don't think all the selfies are helping. That's a national crisis!

Anyone I know struggling with their mental health wouldn't be caught dead doing the walk. They barely have the mental wherewithall to go to the shop and buy a box of tea bags.
    The funds raised are great though. And in theory I do like the idea of the walk- solidarity etc.. but from experience I feel those who need the help most are the least likely to take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Am I reading this correct? Some here think that up to 80% went out earlier in the week to collect a t-sirt and got up this morning to be at a location to start an event at 4.15am just so that they can take a selfie?

Im sorry I got a bit emotive in the moment but your OP was way off the mark and lacked understanding of what the movement is all about.

Dont try and play the victim now.

Also how many people needing help right now go on these walks?

Me.

Probably hundreds more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

Fair play to all who did it. Op your problems are small if this is bothering you.

• Advertisement

Anyone I know struggling with their mental health wouldn't be caught dead doing the walk. They barely have the mental wherewithall to go to the shop and buy a box of tea bags.

Different experience to me. I suspect that most doing it have a mental health issue or know someone with a mental health issue. Many people have used the event to keep a focus on a goal to help their mental health.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Im sorry I got a bit emotive in the moment but your OP was way off the mark and lacked understanding of what the movement is all about.

Dont try and play the victim now.

That's fine, I understand it's a tough topic

And nah I'm not the victim, the victims are those who need help now and have to go on Facebook and see a bunch of selfies instead.

The funds raised are great though. And in theory I do like the idea of the walk- solidarity etc.. but from experience I feel those who need the help most are the least likely to take part.

Not every person dealing with self harm or suicide is a mess. They don't all hide away and contemplate killing themselves. It's different for each person. I feel like that's a very generalised viewpoint.

So they wouldn't have even looked at the t-shirt they and dozens/hundreds/thousands around them were wearing?

Now it's up to 99.9% of people doing it that went out to collect the t-shirt, hand money over, get up at a crazy early hour just for a selfie? Think about it for a minute. What you are saying is just a little odd.

No. If you're referring to my 20%, if you look back it was a question not a statement.
    I still highly doubt that 99.9% knew or cared much about why they were heading out for the duckface opportunity.

99.9% Pat cop onto yourself. No disrespect but seriously what a ridiculous statement.

All indications are we have a long way to go and a lot to learn yet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

It's ONE event, ONE day a year, and if it makes even ONE person feel less alone, then it's all worth it in my opinion.

So they wouldn't have even looked at the t-shirt they and dozens/hundreds/thousands around them were wearing?

Now it's up to 99.9% of people doing it that went out to collect the t-shirt, hand money over, get up at a crazy early hour just for a selfie? Think about it for a minute. What you are saying is just a little odd.

You think about it for a minute. We live in a time where events are created just to take pictures and people accidentally die trying to get that perfect selfie. People have done far more for far less.

• Advertisement

Advertisement