Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Development Royal Canal Park D15

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 googlewhack

I spoke to Tom at Ballymore this morning looking for an update on the noise and their recommendations from an architect / engineers perspective. Tom and Jason said they had recommended using acoustic insulation to block the vents and that 2 households had used this on bridge avenue and found it effective. Tom couldn't remember which houses they were so I'm sceptical of their response! Has anyone tried using acoustic insulation?

Totally agree on the metal speed ramps, they are adding to the problem rather than solving it.

dor1971 wrote: »
    Yes, the speed at which the buses go over the speed bumps adds to the noise pollution but in my experience (living on Bridge Ave since end Jan) every 2nd or 3rd vehicle hits the bumps at an inappropriate speed therefore increasing the noise pollution. We can’t complain to anyone about this outside of the Garda who aren’t in a position to do anything about it short of having a presence on the street 24/7. There are also quite a few ‘souped up’ Subarus and Celicas local to the area. They’re low to the ground, have big alloy wheels and large exhausts. They need to go particularly slow over the bumps but then the noise coming off the exhaust as they excelerate away literally sends vibrations through our house. Like I say these speed bumps may be a necessity from a safety perspective (although they don’t seem to be slowing most of the traffic passing over them) but by god they are a noisy pollutant in a very real sense. Probably worth residents on Bridge Ave getting together to discuss before anything permanent is put in place one way or another.

Re Creche’s. We have our 3 year old in the Queen Bee’s Montessori which is a minute walk away. So far so good .

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MengJiang

Thanks a million! We are in Hazel B. It is a pretty rare type so i think we will get onto Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Miss Lemon

Thanks for the information. We put a deposit down on a Heron.

Does anyone know if there are any updates on the canal walkway between RCP and Broombridge? I would be hoping to use the luas to commute to work each day but am concerned it will be quite an isolated and dark walk in the winter months.

Also if anyone has any information on Creches in the area it would be greatly appreciated.

I also had this concern in relation to Broombridge. My hope is that at least for regular working hours there should be a growing amount of traffic which would mean it would begin to get safer long term. There seems to be a good bit more residential development going up. The other option (particularly when its dark) is to walk along the roads back from Broombridge. It's still not ideal either especially getting to the main road but is not so far that it is not a viable alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 stenomattia

Hi, question for those of you who have requested changes to be made to their houses. We secured a Heron at the last phase and we were looking for 2 changes to be made: pocket doors between kitchen and living room, and altering the kitchen island by removing the breakfast table and moving it closer to the window. SF is telling me that Ballymore won't entertain changes this time around as it creates delays. Can anyone please provide me with contacts at Ballymore I can talk tip in relation to this? Had anyone gone through this scenario already? Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Nhol78

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Just in snagging now. The island looks very wrong, shelf is much lower than the show house, no place for a stool, and it's way too lose to the back door.

Anyone get the island altered and was it much hassle and cost to do so?

I got the island altered, It was a major hassle to deal with the kitchen company, took about 10 phone calls and many e-mails to get them to do anything and it cost me just over 500 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Nhol78 wrote: »
    I got the island altered, It was a major hassle to deal with the kitchen company, took about 10 phone calls and many e-mails to get them to do anything and it cost me just over 500 euro

Thanks.
    I was afraid that might be the answer. I have emailed them and got an almost immediate response, so hopefully they have upped their game.

Hi, question for those of you who have requested changes to be made to their houses. We secured a Heron at the last phase and we were looking for 2 changes to be made: pocket doors between kitchen and living room, and altering the kitchen island by removing the breakfast table and moving it closer to the window. SF is telling me that Ballymore won't entertain changes this time around as it creates delays. Can anyone please provide me with contacts at Ballymore I can talk tip in relation to this? Had anyone gone through this scenario already? Thank you!

With each phase ballymore become less tolerant of change requests.

In phase 2, changes were handled with the contractors directly, ballymore had nothing to do with them. I had to come up to RCP to pay contractors in cash for changes agreed verbally. Luckily all changes were done, albeit not always as expected(outside tap has no tap, it's just a sealed off copper pipe, bit of a cheapo move imo).

Toward the end hew ever they would accept no changes, we wanted to change the paint to Grey, and the paint contractor was ordered by ballymore not to entertain such requests. He said hw had to paint everything white, but could repaint after closing. I hope he was genuine and not just looking for another handy job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Just in snagging now. The island looks very wrong, shelf is much lower than the show house, no place for a stool, and it's way too lose to the back door.

Anyone get the island altered and was it much hassle and cost to do so?

Did you request changes to the kitchen or is this the standard install? The shelf/breakfast bar isnt much use at all if you cant fit a stool under it! Surely if they messed something up you shouldn't have to pay for it to be fixed or am I being naive!?

slayerking wrote: »
    Did you request changes to the kitchen or is this the standard install? The shelf/breakfast bar isnt much use at all if you cant fit a stool under it! Surely if they messed something up you shouldn't have to pay for it to be fixed or am I being naive!?

Didnt request any changes to the kitchen. if i was more experienced i'd have had them completely remove the breakfast bar counter around the island.

It has no support, is quite flimsy and at an ideal height to sit on, meaning its almost certain someone will sit on it and break it off.

Its on the snag list, but unsure what will come out of it.

For anyone who has snagged, if you hold out on closing until such items are addressed, whats the chances of ballymore just deciding to pull out as there is a long waitlist of people who wont complain so much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Didnt request any changes to the kitchen. if i was more experienced i'd have had them completely remove the breakfast bar counter around the island.

It has no support, is quite flimsy and at an ideal height to sit on, meaning its almost certain someone will sit on it and break it off.

For anyone who has snagged, if you hold out on closing until such items are addressed, whats the chances of ballymore just deciding to pull out as there is a long waitlist of people who wont complain so much?

Zero chance. In the same way you are open to being sued by ballymore if you pull out, they would open themselves up to being sued if they pulled out. You have a contract. They'll fix your issue provided you remain civil towards them. I've cost them a fair few euro at this stage.

Did you go for a herron? I'd suggest talking to a neighbour with an unmodified kitchen and ask if you can compare how theirs is to what you got.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Miss Lemon

We also snagged this week and had agreed changes (via email) to the island with the contractor which had not been carried out. We were a bit suspicious as had been chasing him to arrange for payment but had received radio silence from his end.

Separately we were also quite surprised by the height of the breakfast bar and have revisited our photos of the show house for comparison. The breakfast bar definitely looks higher (and functional) in our photos of it in the showhouse and we are also flagging it in our snag list! That said it also looks like the height of the microwave and cooker has changed (as was previously mentioned) but we didnt have an issue with where they were.

Miss Lemon wrote: »
    We also snagged this week and had agreed changes (via email) to the island with the contractor which had not been carried out. We were a bit suspicious as had been chasing him to arrange for payment but had received radio silence from his end.

Separately we were also quite surprised by the height of the breakfast bar and have revisited our photos of the show house for comparison. The breakfast bar definitely looks higher (and functional) in our photos of it in the showhouse and we are also flagging it in our snag list! That said it also looks like the height of the microwave and cooker has changed (as was previously mentioned) but we didnt have an issue with where they were.

My big problem with the breakfast bar is that its a flimsy unsupported sheet of wood at perfect height for sitting on & Im 100% sure that sooner or later someone will sit on it and it will break, and that is a big flaw, particularly as it was not a flaw present in the show house.

Rather than go to the hassle of heightening it, im just going to ask them to cut it off, as long as they can venieer the newly cut edge.

Im not too bothered about the change in height of the oven & microwave, its still functional and not a hindrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sir Scruff

Hope everyone is getting on ok with snagging!

On a separate note I noticed my mobile phone reception was pretty poor and in some parts of the house I lost reception completely (I'm with 3 by the way). Which mobile networks tend to have the best coverage in the area? Will likely have to change network.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Sir Scruff wrote: »

On a separate note I noticed my mobile phone reception was pretty poor and in some parts of the house I lost reception completely (I'm with 3 by the way). Which mobile networks tend to have the best coverage in the area? Will likely have to change network.

Thanks

Lycamobile was unusable. Vodafone isn't great but not horrific. Think it's the houses blocking the reception and not the phone networks. As reception is fine from outside the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭maciektok

Does anyone know what the story is with gardai being around for most of the day yesterday and tonight. Looks like they are looking for someone

Sir Scruff wrote: »

Thanks

It's the house thats blocking the signal. Meteor is the best but still you'd want to be near an open window or on the top floor if you had an important call to take. 3 is simply the worst.

You only have 3 networks in Ireland really, 02/3, Meteor and Vodaphone. Everyone else is a virtual provided and in some areas (especially rural areas) the infrastructure is shared between the above. Even the fact that the signal is crossing a railway line can increase signal noise. Meteor have a micro basestation on the apartments where the new Gym is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 summerplans

maciektok wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is with gardai being around for most of the day yesterday and tonight. Looks like they are looking for someone

I noticed that too. A garda van and car went flying around with lights on yesterday about 3.30pm. There also seemed to be some rallying of cars going on around 10.30pm last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

I noticed that too. A garda van and car went flying around with lights on yesterday about 3.30pm. There also seemed to be some rallying of cars going on around 10.30pm last night.

Yes, my girlfriend and 2 kids were in the playground at 3.30 yesterday along with a number of other parents/kids. Out of nowhere a gang load of teenagers came leaping across the playground fencing and out the other side heading for Finglas. They ran down the 'unopened' path to the River Road and out across Tolka Valley Park to Finglas. A number of Garda Cars were giving chase within RCP and down on the River Road. No idea what they were up to but clearly no good given the volume of Garda Cars in pursuit. I heard the cars burning rubber last night also .

According to one of the parents in the playground (phase 1) they and their neighbours had canvassed the council etc not to open up a path to the River road for this very reason but apparently it was a must as it will give access to the RCP train station!

dor1971 wrote: »
    Yes, my girlfriend and 2 kids were in the playground at 3.30 yesterday along with a number of other parents/kids. Out of nowhere a gang load of teenagers came leaping across the playground fencing and out the other side heading for Finglas. They ran down the 'unopened' path to the River Road and out across Tolka Valley Park to Finglas. A number of Garda Cars were giving chase within RCP and down on the River Road. No idea what they were up to but clearly no good given the volume of Garda Cars in pursuit. I heard the cars burning rubber last night also .

According to one of the parents in the playground (phase 1) they and their neighbours had canvassed the council etc not to open up a path to the River road for this very reason but apparently it was a must as it will give access to the RCP train station!

OK, I'd rather not have the train station than be a cut through for gangs. Is someone still pushing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I was looking at that path as I was walking back from the park the other day. From RCP it feels like that route is the most convenient to the Finglas area.

If you're walking from Finglas, the obvious route isn't that path, it's to follow the road. To take that path from any of the houses in Finglas you have to go down a big hill, zig zag through the park and then climb a big hill again. The shorter more convenient route is along the road and feels that way as you approach RCP from the Finglas side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 dor1971

Manion wrote: »
    OK, I'd rather not have the train station than be a cut through for gangs. Is someone still pushing this?

not sure. doubt it now that it has been constructed etc. I think residents need to start getting together as a unit to discuss such issues and try and action them in so far as we can.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Manion wrote: »

i am pushing for it to be opened, along with a few others i know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

John Mason wrote: »
    i am pushing for it to be opened, along with a few others i know

I would believe most people purchased houses based on the presence of a train station in the plans.

Not sure about the cut through for gangs. Haven't seen any such activity around. Not sure why a foot bridge would really create it.

I like that entrance to the park myself. I find it very handy already for dog walks etc...if there is a problem with a gang it should be dealt with by gardai. I don't see living in a bubble as a solution to the problem. Additionally we can set up neighbourhood watch

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if anything is being done regarding the kids and young adults riding dirt bikes in the Tolka Valley Park (and the areas around it) ? They are a massive noise pollutant and a constant threat to any person visiting the area. Nowadays they are in the area for hours on end (starting as early as 9am and staying there until midnight)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

It's a lovely park. I used it for a walk or a run most mornings the last two summers. I'm really looking forward to the path opening so it's convenient again. (Lived next to an entrance in rathborne previously). I'll be annoyed if there's a decision not to open it.

Simon_K wrote: »
    Hello everyone. Does anyone know if anything is being done regarding the kids and young adults riding dirt bikes in the Tolka Valley Park (and the areas around it) ? They are a massive noise pollutant and a constant threat to any person visiting the area. Nowadays they are in the area for hours on end (starting as early as 9am and staying there until midnight)

Gardai took couple of bikes of kids yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mooninite1

Hi all, a question for those of you who have moved in. Are there any non-discretionary costs associated with moving in (eg electricity, water connection fees) aside from stamp duty, solicitors fees etc? Am I right in saying there's an exemption from property tax for a number of years also?
    Thanks! This site has been a great help to date.

cronos wrote: »
    I would believe most people purchased houses based on the presence of a train station in the plans.

Not sure about the cut through for gangs. Haven't seen any such activity around. Not sure why a foot bridge would really create it.

No, not the foot bridge over the canal. This is a walk way down to tolka valley park. People can say don't live in a bubble or that its a shame but ultimately the path can and will be closed if its deemed to facilitate extreme anti social behaviour. If it is closed that is not the fault of the people living near it but rather the people causing the problem.

We're all living in a new development and a new community, the actions we collectively take over the next 12 - 24 months will have a dramatic impact on the character of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 n1ckymar1e

Does any one have the contact of the interior designer used for the RCP show homes please?

Mod note: by pm only please

Advertisement