Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What shoes you wearing now and what next?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Can anyone recommend a neutral, cushioned shoe to me?

I currently have Saucony ride 8 for the past year and fine for short runs but not cushioned enough for long runs.

I have Brooks Dyads which are comfy for long runs but are well worn now.

I have Brooks Ghosts which are also well worn.

Brooks seem very pricey though, can't find any bargains on them so i'm thinking of changing but not sure what the equivalent shoes are :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

I moved from the Saucony Ride to the adidas Supernova Glide a few years ago and I'm still wearing them. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

JohnDozer wrote: »
    I moved from the Saucony Ride to the adidas Supernova Glide a few years ago and I'm still wearing them. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

I made the same move this year and they're great. Currently the Glide 8 and the Nike Pegasus 33, which I'm also loving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Does any one know the fit of New Balance vs Brooks? I take a 45.5 which is 10.5 UK in Brooks Ghost and am looking at the New Balance 1400V4 but 10.5 is 45EU and 11 is 45.5EU so don't know which size to go for.

Thanks

ISOP wrote: »
    I use a pair of Asics Metarun for races, great shoe, very expensive, bought them as a treat for myself

why would you use a shoe that heavy (315g+) for races?
    Seems like a ridiculous price (€250) for something that is effectively worth €0 after you've worn it once.
    It's not even that good-looking a shoe imo.
    Plenty of good alternatives in the stability segment for 1/2 the price (not counting sales where you could do even better).
    You could get stability shoes that are 25 to 30% lighter e.g New Balance 1500
    If you've never tried lighter shoes you'd be in for a shock how much difference they can make to your time.
    Not to mention the feeling on your feet- heavy shoes to me would be like running in mud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Does any one know the fit of New Balance vs Brooks? I take a 45.5 which is 10.5 UK in Brooks Ghost and am looking at the New Balance 1400V4 but 10.5 is 45EU and 11 is 45.5EU so don't know which size to go for.

Thanks

I'm 8.5 in Brooks Adrenaline. 8.5 in NB 860 V7 and 9 in NB Vazee Prism. Recently tried the NB Fresh Foam Vongo, guess what..........I'm an 8 !!!, go figure !!

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

glasso wrote: »
    Seems like a ridiculous price (€250) for something that is effectively worth €0 after you've worn it once.
    Plenty of good alternatives in the stability segment for 1/2 the price (not counting sales where you could do even better).
    If you've never tried lighter shoes you'd be in for a shock how much difference they can make to your time.
    Not to mention the feeling on your feet- heavy shoes to me would be like running in mud.
    I couldn't care less what they look like, they are by some distance the best show I have worn, its like walking on air

ISOP wrote: »
    I couldn't care less what they look like, they are by some distance the best show I have worn, its like walking on air

I only mentioned the looks as I was struggling for reasons as to why you bought them. seriously though, getting light shoes (that are suited for you e.g. stability if you really need it) for events will make a big difference to your time.
    heavy shoes like that, cushioning like air notwithstanding are just slowing you down. (easily 15 seconds a mile if not more).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

JohnDozer wrote: »
    kin9pin wrote: »
    I made the same move this year and they're great. Currently the Glide 8 and the Nike Pegasus 33, which I'm also loving.

Thanks, i've made a note of these for again but for now i just ordered Brooks Glycerin 13. Got them for a reasonable price & they sound like they'll suit my current needs and i've had good experiences with Brooks Dyads and Brooks Ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭novarapid

Currently wearing asics gt 2000's happy enough with them except how a hole forms beside my small toe. Looking at trying a different brand any suggestions?
    I see new balance m670 stability shoes on mandm that are good value how would they compare with support the gt 2000 give thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nagnata

glasso wrote: »
    The NB 1500 v2 is a better racing shoe than the v3 in my opinion. I'd really recommend them for racing. Nice light and very responsive with stability :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Quick question, would there be any difference in a size 9 womens shoe as opposed to a mens?

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/AD13528/adidas-Womens-Ultra-Boost-ST-Neutral-Running-Shoes-White-Ice-Mint-Shock-Red?aff

Maybe foot width? Cant imagine too many women out there with size 9's! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I got a pair of Adidas Supernova ST's in the sale recently having gotten on so well with the Ultra Boost ST's. Previously almost exclusively ran in Mizuno Wave's (impressive comfort and great support, but heavy and loud underfoot), and the Boost ST's amazed me by their softness while still giving good support.

The Supernova ST's are not as soft as the Boost's, but my word are they a nice shoe to run in! Plenty soft and quiet underfoot, but more structure and less "squidginess". Haven't pushed them for speed, but feel great for steady tempo runs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Quick question, would there be any difference in a size 9 womens shoe as opposed to a mens?

http://www.mandmdirect.ie/01/details/AD13528/adidas-Womens-Ultra-Boost-ST-Neutral-Running-Shoes-White-Ice-Mint-Shock-Red?aff

Maybe foot width? Cant imagine too many women out there with size 9's! :eek:

About 1/2 a size in UK sizing, men's 10 = women's 9.5.
    Having said that most premium brands construct women's shoes differently to men's to reflect the different foot shapes, narrower heel, etc.
    So best to do a little research first.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    About 1/2 a size in UK sizing, men's 10 = women's 9.5.
    Having said that most premium brands construct women's shoes differently to men's to reflect the different foot shapes, narrower heel, etc.
    So best to do a little research first.

Bit of cross dressing at home first is always a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Got a pair of Ultraboost today after a fitting in The Run Hub, my god I heard they were comfy but didnt realise they were this comfy! Tried a lot of other shoes on but they came out on top by a mile (personal opinion of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I took a risk on 2 pairs of Takumi Rens, because I love the Sens so much:

https://www.sneakersnstuff.com/en/product/22484/adidas-adizero-takumi-ren-3

There was an extra 20% off if I bought 2 pairs. However, when I had Ireland as the shipping address the total came to €140. When I changed this to the UK (Parcel Motel), the total came to £103, which Paypal tells me was around €121. So list price was €80 for one pair, but I ended up getting 2 pairs for just over €61 each including shipping. They still have size 11 and size 8.5 left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

2 pairs of Saucony Type A, €75 each on sportsshoes.com, arrived yesterday. Only took a week from order to delivery.

davedanon wrote: »
    2 pairs of Saucony Type A, €75 each on sportsshoes.com, arrived yesterday. Only took a week from order to delivery.

They look good - what distances will you use them for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

They look good - what distances will you use them for?

Track stuff, and races up to 10k, I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

ordered a pair of Pearl Izumi Road N2 V3 from Sports Pursuit, hideous colour but they were only €40. So i said i would give them a go.

ordered a pair of Pearl Izumi Road N2 V3 from Sports Pursuit, hideous colour but they were only €40. So i said i would give them a go.

I loved both the zero and the N1 versions. Ran my marathon pb in the '1'. Might check out that website. What do you plan on using the '2's for? Long stuff I presume.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

Itziger wrote: »
    I loved both the zero and the N1 versions. Ran my marathon pb in the '1'. Might check out that website. What do you plan on using the '2's for? Long stuff I presume.

Yep, thats the plan. looking forward to testing them out whenever they arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Techless

Just curious about this brand. I use Asics Cumulus but was looking for something similar and cheaper as backup.

Would these be a good option ?

Techless wrote: »
    Just curious about this brand. I use Asics Cumulus but was looking for something similar and cheaper as backup.

Would these be a good option ?

You'll need to hurry up. Unfortunately, Pearl have decided to stop production of running shoes and stick to their cycling.

To give you a small idea: the '0' has very little cushioning (very comfie though, like all of them) and I use it for short/fast running. The '1' is more supportive, a bit anyway. I did the marathon in them but I'd say some - maybe slightly heavier folk - might find that too much. I'm not familiar with the '2' but I'm guessing they're for longer distances and/or runners who want a bit more cushioning.

I took a risk on 2 pairs of Takumi Rens, because I love the Sens so much:

https://www.sneakersnstuff.com/en/product/22484/adidas-adizero-takumi-ren-3

There was an extra 20% off if I bought 2 pairs. However, when I had Ireland as the shipping address the total came to €140. When I changed this to the UK (Parcel Motel), the total came to £103, which Paypal tells me was around €121. So list price was €80 for one pair, but I ended up getting 2 pairs for just over €61 each including shipping. They still have size 11 and size 8.5 left.

These arrived by parcel motel yesterday. I took wore a pair today on an 11 miler run to break them in. There's more in the heel and forefoot than the Sens, and the upper feels a bit stiffer - overall they feel like a more robust shoe, while still being amazingly light. My legs are feeling no ill effects, whereas my calves would be fairly tender after the Sens. The also have a removable insole/sockliner (the Sens one is glued in). I'm going to chance them on a couple of long runs and then judge if they're suitable for a marathon. They'll definitely do for a half. Much like the Sens, I find the Rens really easy to run in. I'm glad I took advantage of the extra discount for two pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭circadian

Just bought a pair of Saucony Kinvara 8 to replace my Brooks ST5. I've been getting calf pain recently and notice that in the Brooks I'm up on my toes. I tried a few different pairs in store but the Kinvara were the only ones to hit a sweet spot of my heel "kissing the ground" so to speak.

I tried a pair of Altra Torin 2.5 and they were very soft and cushioned. I thought a zero drop shoe was what I'd end up with but they just didn't feel as natural as the Kinvara. Interesting shoe nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Nagnata wrote: »
    The NB 1500 v2 is a better racing shoe than the v3 in my opinion. I'd really recommend them for racing. Nice light and very responsive with stability :cool:

I have 2 pairs of the 1500 v2's. probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and the only shoes that have come close to the feel of asics hyperspeed 5 that I've being trying to replace for years, perfect mix of cushion and responsiveness. haven't tried the v3 yet but I hope they haven't changed much. Have a pair of NB Zantes V2 as well and not really a fan despite the hype, found them clunky and not really as soft and responsive as everyone makes them out to be.

Next up, I've a pair of the Nike Vaporfly 4% on the way. Got them on the cheapish side so couldn't resist trying them out, still twice as expensive as I'd usually pay for shoes but I'll see how they pan out. Don't expect them to make me faster as per marketing but if the cushioning and spring plate slightly improve the beating my calves get, I'll take that as a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

El Caballo wrote: »
    I have 2 pairs of the 1500 v2's. probably the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned and the only shoes that have come close to the feel of asics hyperspeed 5 that I've being trying to replace for years, perfect mix of cushion and responsiveness. haven't tried the v3 yet but I hope they haven't changed much. Have a pair of NB Zantes V2 as well and not really a fan despite the hype, found them clunky and not really as soft and responsive as everyone makes them out to be.

Next up, I've a pair of the Nike Vaporfly 4% on the way. Got them on the cheapish side so couldn't resist trying them out, still twice as expensive as I'd usually pay for shoes but I'll see how they pan out. Don't expect them to make me faster as per marketing but if the cushioning and spring plate slightly improve the beating my calves get, I'll take that as a win.

You should consider the Hanzo S if you like the 1500's
    http://runningmagazine.ca/new-balance-releases-racing-flats-spring-2017/

Haven't raced in them yet, but have used for several sessions.
    Great traction and responsiveness, but offer little or nothing in terms of support, so if you're pretty economical give them a shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭jonnner

Do you mind me asking where did you order the Vaporfly from? They're sold out on the Nike site.
    I got a pair of the Zoom Fly and have been very impressed. They don't make you quicker imo, but they do encourage you to run quicker (while still hitting normal heart rate for that pace). The comfort is unreal though, and if they suit your running style you'll definitely be less beat up after a run.
    El Caballo wrote: »

Advertisement