Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next in the Queue - Civil and Public Service Union

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Good luck getting automated technology to decipher judges and Gardai scribbles on charge sheets and summonses, incomprehensible passport and SW applications, and dealing with irate and upset members of the public at public counters for a start. You think the system is slow now!

Any particular reason why a passport or SW application has to be handwritten instead of typed?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

diomed wrote: »
    Central Statistics Office
    2016Q4
    Average Weekly Earnings (Euro): public sector: Euro 921.74
    Average Weekly Earnings (Euro): private sector Euro 658.30
    (40.01% higher)
    #If you're not happy with your lot then apply for a better job. Maybe join the PS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

titan18 wrote: »
    Any particular reason why a passport or SW application has to be handwritten instead of typed?

I don't believe that they have to be handwritten , apart from the signature , but they have to allow handwritten ones because they can't assume everyone has access to a printer .

For example I have had a computer since the early 2000's but I have never had a printer and my job doesn't give me access to a computer and printer so unless there is an online version of a form I have to handwrite it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

19k net a year is sickening greed now? that's take home pay of a new civil servant, good luck trying to live on that in Dublin (where majority of jobs are located) If you want the worst candidate possible looking after your tax, courts, garda, passport, immigration, health service admin business etc then fair enough. Just don't complain when the system becomes infinitely worse than it is now, once what's left of the experienced staff retires.
    And what are the entry criteria? Is it just a leaving cert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Civil servants got their pay slashed, deductions made that will give them no benefit and longer working hours for free.
    Time has come to get it back l, particularly when take home pay is 20euro more than social welfare for a family before travel costs etc are taken into account.

And its past time that politicians stopped over regulating and expecting all that to be done as free work by anyone. If you want a public service then fund it properly.

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote:
    For example I have had a computer since the early 2000's but I have never had a printer and my job doesn't give me access to a computer and printer so unless there is an online version of a form I have to handwrite it

Should be online version of all application forms though, and encouraged to use those. For all my bashing, the Revenue version ain't bad for tax refunds, bar the turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

And what are the entry criteria? Is it just a leaving cert?
    Two sets of verbal and numerical reasoning aptitude tests, both unsupervised and supervised, followed by an interview if successful, followed by a potential position if successful at interview and have scored high enough in the aptitude tests, and only if a position becomes available in your chosen region. The criteria for applying is the Leaving Cert, but that's slightly misleading given the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Two sets of verbal and numerical reasoning aptitude tests, both unsupervised and supervised, followed by an interview if successful, followed by a potential position if successful at interview and have scored high enough in the aptitude tests, and only if a position becomes available in your chosen region. The criteria for applying is the Leaving Cert, but that's slightly misleading given the above.

So its just a leaving cert then.

The above application process is to filter down the numbers that apply to a more reasonable number for interview, given such a low barrier to entry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

So its just a leaving cert then.
    Yes. As opposed to just a degree.
    The above application process is to filter down the numbers that apply to a more reasonable number for interview, given such a low barrier to entry.
    A degree is used for the exact same purpose in most jobs, including many graduate programmes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Should be online version of all application forms though, and encouraged to use those. For all my bashing, the Revenue version ain't bad for tax refunds, bar the turnaround time.

Turn around time? I did a tax return less than a week ago and there's a refund of over €1900 in my bank account already. I've never had an insurance claim dealt with that quickly. The Revenue online is superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭kerryguy78

I don't begrudge anyone in the public sector that are doing their job and doing it well, to be rewarded in their pay, the problem I have is it seems that there is a lot of useless lazy good for nothing people who are getting paid for doing nothing. They get all the perks of sick days and job security and don't give a toss. The idea of not having to do much and get the same pay as someone that is working their socks off because they are in a union is just a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Do you think been a politician in modern Ireland is easy and they don't deserve a pay rise like others?

It's probably one of the worst and stressful jobs going right now with the abuse and heckling they receive each day. Even death threats in some cases.

In some cases yes but if they are Paul Murphy, Clare Daly, Ruth Coppinger or a member of AAA/PBP you just tell your voters they shouldn't have to pay for anything it's working people who need to do that and your elected every time with no abuse or heckling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

For all my bashing, the Revenue version ain't bad for tax refunds, bar the turnaround time.

Turnaround time?! I had mine processed and in my bank account in 4 days this year.

In some cases yes but if they are Paul Murphy, Clare Daly, Ruth Coppinger or a member of AAA/PBP you just tell your voters they shouldn't have to pay for anything it's working people who need to do that and your elected every time with no abuse or heckling at all.

Politions stand for **** anymore they are useless, unions run this country and that's that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,355 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

kerryguy78 wrote: »
    I don't begrudge anyone in the public sector that are doing their job and doing it well, to be rewarded in their pay, the problem I have is it seems that there is a lot of useless lazy good for nothing people who are getting paid for doing nothing. They get all the perks of sick days and job security and don't give a toss. The idea of not having to do much and get the same pay as someone that is working their socks off because they are in a union is just a joke

True.

I've noticed there seems to be a reluctance to admit that some of their colleagues are lazy and getting paid the same wage which in turn puts pressure on the people who are there to actually do the job.

True.

I've noticed there seems to be a reluctance to admit that some of their colleagues are lazy and getting paid the same wage which in turn puts pressure on the people who are there to actually do the job.

I work in the private sector and do a lot of hours and every few years go myself to my manager for a pay rise he looks at my efforts and rewards me on that merit, it the same was done in the public sector a lot of people would be getting decreases!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Most efficient department with self service technology is the revenue

The very worst is the department of Agriculture. Stock numbers are handwritten onto lists, posted in and some poor soul will data entry all of them, there might be hundreds. If you offer to email an excel copy you are told no.

The "cheque in the post" is an actual cheque, not a bank transfer like revenue use.

There was talk years ago that the department was overstaffed and some would transfer to driving testers but I never heard anything since.

If Revenue can have self service systems I can't see why the dept of agriculture insist you post everything :confused: I find the Revenue staff you speak to with questions are extremely helpful too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

kerryguy78 wrote: »
    I work in the private sector and do a lot of hours and every few years go myself to my manager for a pay rise he looks at my efforts and rewards me on that merit, it the same was done in the public sector a lot of people would be getting decreases!!!!!

Not so much for the wages but the fact a lot of promotions in the public sector are factored on "time served" over everything else is more worrying. You want the best person for the position, not someone who has been there 30 years and "knows how it all works anyways".
    mikemac2 wrote: »

The very worst is the department of Agriculture. Stock numbers are handwritten onto lists, posted in and some poor soul will data entry all of them, there might be hundreds. If you offer to email an excel copy you are told no.

The "cheque in the post" is an actual cheque, not a bank transfer like revenue use.

There was talk years ago that the department was overstaffed and some would transfer to driving testers but I never heard anything since.

If Revenue can have self service systems I can't see why the dept of agriculture insist you post everything :confused: I find the Revenue staff you speak to with questions are extremely helpful too

Growing up on a farm, I can tell you its because nothing would get done if the Dept of Ag went digital, a lot of older farmers (and considering how hard it is to pry a farm from a parent, as my brother can attest, this is the vast majority) have no clue when it comes to technology! E-mail, smartphones and the like are alien to them and any attempt to try teach them is met with scoffs and "Oh this is too complicated, cant I just send a letter!".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,621 ✭✭✭billyhead

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Not so much for the wages but the fact a lot of promotions in the public sector are factored on "time served" over everything else is more worrying. You want the best person for the position, not someone who has been there 30 years and "knows how it all works anyways".

No longer true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Was wqtching the rte report in froday and the level of entitlement is unreal.

One after another was complaining about how they couldnt afford to feed their kids or pay their mortgage on their current salary.

Heres a thought if you cant afford kids dont have them, if you cant afford a specific house dont buy it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

VinLieger wrote: »
    Was wqtching the rte report in froday and the level of entitlement is unreal.

One after another was complaining about how they couldnt afford to feed their kids or pay their mortgage on their current salary.

Heres a thought if you cant afford kids dont have them, if you cant afford a specific house dont buy it.

If your job doesn't pay enough, up skill and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

amcalester wrote: »
    If your job doesn't pay enough, up skill and move on.

Or in the case of the civil service just wait and get promoted.

SeaFields wrote: »
    Turnaround time?! I had mine processed and in my bank account in 4 days this year.

It was 2 weeks for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

It was 2 weeks for me

Did YOU fill the form in correctly?
    😀

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

I work for Social Welfare. A very large amount of people are getting more in welfare payments than I am in wages. It's not just one or two, it's a very high amount, it's madness.

yenom wrote: »
    I work for Social Welfare. A very large amount of people are getting more in welfare payments than I am in wages. It's not just one or two, it's a very high amount, it's madness.

They are entitled to everything except work

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Just wait til all your jobs get automated

So tell me, what magical robot is going to install PC's across the country and keep servers up and running??? Or what magical automation technique have you got for supervising prisoners/patients in hospitals etc.

Your living in dream land with your automation there mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

mikemac2 wrote: »

Funny enough I know a guy who left a decent job in an insurance company and got a job in the Dept. of Agriculture.

I asked him why he did it as he was taking a big pay-cut, he says "Sure I don't have to do f*ck all in this place".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Ush1 wrote: »
    Funny enough I know a guy who left a decent job in an insurance company and got a job in the Dept. of Agriculture.

I asked him why he did it as he was taking a big pay-cut, he says "Sure I don't have to do f*ck all in this place".

This lie is so bigly and so obviously a windup. Is your name Donald?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

This lie is so bigly and so obviously a windup. Is your name Donald?

It's the truth, sure why would I lie? I thought it said a lot about the guys mind-set more than anything.

Advertisement