Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next in the Queue - Civil and Public Service Union

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

You can easily report inefficiencies in any semi state or state department if you believe they exist. If a problem is found, it should be dealt with otherwise nothing will change.

Really, cos they seem to strike when someone attempts to deal with inefficiencies, as it usually results in changes to working hours or redundancies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

titan18 wrote: »
    Really, cos they seem to strike when someone attempts to deal with inefficiencies, as it usually results in changes to working hours or redundancies

Very very few days lost in the PS/CS through strikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Again with your deflection.

If you cant answer the simple questions I have asked you it discredits your argument.

Could it be that you have no "real" operational knowledge of the PS/CS bar when you see them standing up for themselves and just hop on the "giving out wagon" when appropriate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Personally and anecdotally, it's cos we're too intelligent to sit in a dead end job doing nothing half the week when there are jobs available where we can actually use some intelligence.

You've obviously never worked in the CS!!
    I'm on the go all day, every day.
    As for these dead end jobs.....The country wouldn't function without Civil Servants doing their jobs.
    Try getting a passport to enable you to spend all your private sector wages on a holiday without a CS processing it for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭doc22

As for these dead end jobs.....The country wouldn't function without Civil Servants doing their jobs.
    Try getting a passport to enable you to spend all your private sector wages on a holiday without a CS processing it for you!

You seem to post on boards quiet a bit during working hours :pac:

• Advertisement

doc22 wrote: »
    You seem to post on boards quiet a bit during working hours :pac:

Pot, kettle and black spring to mind :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Donal55 wrote: »
    Very very few days lost in the PS/CS through strikes.
    Of course.

RTE Friday, 3 Mar 2017
    "A total of 71,647 days were lost to industrial disputes last year, according to new figures from the Central Statistics Office.
    This compares with 32,964 days lost in 2015, the CSO said.

Two disputes in the education sector accounted for 76.2% of the days lost last year - 54,562 of the 71,647 total days lost.

The CSO noted a total of ten industrial disputes in 2016 compared with nine in 2015.
    These ten disputes involved 29,372 workers and ten firms, whereas 37,760 workers and nine firms were involved in industrial disputes in 2015.
    Last year saw strikes at secondary schools nationwide, Dublin Bus, Dublin's Luas system and Waterford airport.

Let's keep the debate fact free, or failing that, let's invent a few.

Again with your deflection.

If you cant answer the simple questions I have asked you it discredits your argument.

Could it be that you have no "real" operational knowledge of the PS/CS bar when you see them standing up for themselves and just hop on the "giving out wagon" when appropriate?

Well, I've never worked in it, but from what I see and hear, it's extremely inefficient, bloated and people earning money they shouldn't be to do their jobs. Examples of this are Bus Eireann being over rostered for the services they provide, overtime being provided for opening and closing parks at weekend (my uncle does this), (again my uncle) taking sick leave days for holidays.

Are any of those enough for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well, I've never worked in it, but from what I see and hear, it's extremely inefficient, bloated and people earning money they shouldn't be to do their jobs. Examples of this are Bus Eireann being over rostered for the services they provide, overtime being provided for opening and closing parks at weekend (my uncle does this), (again my uncle) taking sick leave days for holidays.

Bull****

Yes, thankfully I haven't, and course needs to be processed, but ideally, it should be automated processing, and there should be feck all manual processing. Would improve turnaround times and lower costs.

Company I work for process insurance claims automatically using OCR technology. Days of rows of people sitting there going through forms is gone.

• Advertisement

Bull****

What is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

diomed wrote: »
    Of course.

RTE Friday, 3 Mar 2017
    "A total of 71,647 days were lost to industrial disputes last year, according to new figures from the Central Statistics Office.

Two disputes in the education sector accounted for 76.2% of the days lost last year - 54,562 of the 71,647 total days lost.

The CSO noted a total of ten industrial disputes in 2016 compared with nine in 2015.
    These ten disputes involved 29,372 workers and ten firms, whereas 37,760 workers and nine firms were involved in industrial disputes in 2015.
    Last year saw strikes at secondary schools nationwide, Dublin Bus, Dublin's Luas system and Waterford airport.

So we are now dragging the Secondary school teachers in to a discussion on clerical officer pay in the civil service. Time to leave.

What is?

The entirety of your post, is made up bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Some are now dragging the Secondary school teachers in to a discussion on clerical officer pay in the civil service.
    The thread title is mentions Civil and Public Service Union.
    Sorry for using facts.

Of course.

RTE Friday, 3 Mar 2017

Wait a sec now

These figures you're quoting are nothing to do with what was argued.

I think the figure you might be looking for is

Civil service days lost to strike/civil service days worked

The figures you've referenced make zero sense to bring in at all....

Sorry for using facts.
    t
    You have to be joking.

Where is the ASTI in that?. Stick to the facts.

Sorry for using facts.
    You don't even know what you are taking about, gas stuff altogether. cpsu.ie
    The cpsu or civil and public service union is the name of a particular union, which represents a particular group of staff non of which are teachers.

The entirety of your post, is made up bull****.

Well, it's not.

Both things said about uncle are true. Overtime is offered for weekend work in Cork City Council (opening and closing of parks is the example), and as for Bus Eireann's inefficiencies in roster,
    Bus Eireann said in a full costed and written report that there are 1,378 drivers who work overtime each day which equals the cost of 1,636 drivers. It said if the company was to maximise driver efficiency, there would be a requirement for 986 full-time drivers. This alone is a shocking statistic and must be addressed.

So,400 drivers to go and less overtime cost if it was rostered efficiently

Of course.

RTE Friday, 3 Mar 2017

Teachers aint represented by CPSU.
    Lets stick to the facts, no point in inventing them.

Well, it's not.

Both things said about uncle are true. Overtime is offered for weekend work in Cork City Council (opening and closing of parks is the example), and as for Bus Eireann's inefficiencies in roster,

So,400 drivers to go and less overtime cost if it was rostered efficiently

And yet again, what has this to do with clerical officer grades in the CIVIL SERVICE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Parchment wrote: »
    Well if we did - they must have forgotten to put it in my wages.

It was the start of pay restoration in line with the LR Agreement, not a pay rise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Just give the poor creaturs their pay rises and stop being so miserable.

And yet again, what has this to do with clerical officer grades in the CIVIL SERVICE?

Well, let's say you give pay rises to the lowest tier workers and boost their holidays. Next time, you get the next tier looking for more, and the next tier. It's not a standalone one pay rise and no one else comes looking. They're coming looking cos a higher tier got a payrise, it's a fecking circle, so any rises to one set means others want a similar increase.

Anyone whose job is based on processing paper work should just feel lucky to have one as technology is replacing you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Not really tbh. You know one guy, one.

What are all the inefficiencies you have seen?

Where is the bloating of staff?

What money is being earned that "shouldnt" be?

Overtime for opening and closing parks. What times are these?

Your uncle taking sick days instead of annual leave is wrong but not unique to the PS. Does he not have to supply evidence once he goes back in? Why dont you report him?

red ears wrote: »
    Just give the poor creaturs their pay rises and stop being so miserable.
    No one is asking for them as they are ALREADY getting them. Approx €20 quid a week since April 1.

Well, let's say you give pay rises to the lowest tier workers and boost their holidays. Next time, you get the next tier looking for more, and the next tier. It's not a standalone one pay rise and no one else comes looking. They're coming looking cos a higher tier got a payrise, it's a fecking circle, so any rises to one set means others want a similar increase.

Oh

My

God

Yes, thankfully I haven't, and course needs to be processed, but ideally, it should be automated processing, and there should be feck all manual processing. Would improve turnaround times and lower costs.

Company I work for process insurance claims automatically using OCR technology. Days of rows of people sitting there going through forms is gone.

I suppose we should also automate the development of government policy, processing of all applications ( we don't need human intervention in borderline cases) and investigations into abuse cases etc!
    Sure let's just get in robots to do all the jobs of the civil service.

Not really tbh. You know one guy, one.

What are all the inefficiencies you have seen?

Where is the bloating of staff?

What money is being earned that "shouldnt" be?

Overtime for opening and closing parks. What times are these?

Your uncle taking sick days instead of annual leave is wrong but not unique to the PS. Does he not have to supply evidence once he goes back in? Why dont you report him?

1. HSE, city and county councils, guards, Ervia

2. As above

3. Anyone getting overtime for working weekends, should be built into rostered hours

4. Weekends

5. Who the feck supplies evidence for being out in PS? My mom works in a school and it's like after 3 continuous days out you have to.

Anyone whose job is based on processing paper work should just feel lucky to have one as technology is replacing you

More ****e talk from you so. Have you got anything credible or even mildly related to factual to say on the subject or are you just going to continue positing bull**** in this thread?

• Advertisement

I suppose we should also automate the development of government policy, processing of all applications ( we don't need human intervention in borderline cases) and investigations into abuse cases etc!
    Sure let's just get in robots to do all the jobs of the civil service.

Development of government policy, no, not yet.

Processing of applications, yes. Build rules into automation so borderline cases are still human dealt but straight forward ones are automated. It's done in insurance claims so can easily be done in filing for passports.

Advertisement