Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next in the Queue - Civil and Public Service Union

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

More ****e talk from you so. Have you got anything credible or even mildly related to factual to say on the subject or are you just going to continue positing bull**** in this thread?

Would you like to address the points or just attack the poster.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

titan18 wrote: »
    Well, let's say you give pay rises to the lowest tier workers and boost their holidays. Next time, you get the next tier looking for more, and the next tier. It's not a standalone one pay rise and no one else comes looking. They're coming looking cos a higher tier got a payrise, it's a fecking circle, so any rises to one set means others want a similar increase.

Anyone whose job is based on processing paper work should just feel lucky to have one as technology is replacing you

Your deflecting yet again.

If someone in the council gets a pay rise that doesn't mean a clerical officer in social welfare is going to kick up and look for the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Would you like to address the points or just attack the poster.

Why would I waste my time arguing with a person who is set on lying and making stupidly false claims? Sure where would that get me in life.

I will however call your lies bull****.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Your deflecting yet again.

If someone in the council gets a pay rise that doesn't mean a clerical officer in social welfare is going to kick up and look for the same.

Did you read their press article?

Speaking at the union's annual conference in Killarney, Mr Roynane said lower paid clerical officers can only dream of the €4,500 pay increases given to the Secretary Generals of Government departments last week.

That's exactly what they're doing

Development of government policy, no, not yet.

Processing of applications, yes. Build rules into automation so borderline cases are still human dealt but straight forward ones are automated. It's done in insurance claims so can easily be done in filing for passports.

The insurance sector is a joke in this country, and your going to try to use that as an example of automation and best practise?

Are you practising new material for a comedy gig?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

Why would I waste my time arguing with a person who is set on lying and making stupidly false claims? Sure where would that get me in life.

I will however call your lies bull****.

What's wrong is that there are a number of people on here who don't know the difference between the CPSU, the Public sector and semi states and yet they claim to know everything.

Speaking at the union's annual conference in Killarney, Mr Roynane said lower paid clerical officers can only dream of the €4,500 pay increases given to the Secretary Generals of Government departments last week.

You really haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Sec gens as they known are the top level positions within the civil service. They are the civil service heads of government departments and offices and as such work in the same sectors as clerical and service officers who make up the bulk of the cpsu membership.

This is not staff looking at other sectors and asking for pay increases but the lowest ranks of the civil service seeing top level civil servants get increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Well, let's say you give pay rises to the lowest tier workers and boost their holidays. Next time, you get the next tier looking for more, and the next tier. It's not a standalone one pay rise and no one else comes looking. They're coming looking cos a higher tier got a payrise, it's a fecking circle, so any rises to one set means others want a similar increase.

Anyone whose job is based on processing paper work should just feel lucky to have one as technology is replacing you

You are being deliberately obtuse. Read the question again. What had THAT post to do with the CO in the civil service?

You don't answer what is asked because you can't. Your comments were totally irrelevant to the discussion.

1. HSE, city and county councils, guards, Ervia

2. As above

3. Anyone getting overtime for working weekends, should be built into rostered hours

4. Weekends

5. Who the feck supplies evidence for being out in PS? My mom works in a school and it's like after 3 continuous days out you have to.

Sweet Lord! Yet again... where does this connect with clerical officers in the civil service? You really haven't a clue what you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Development of government policy, no, not yet.

Processing of applications, yes. Build rules into automation so borderline cases are still human dealt but straight forward ones are automated. It's done in insurance claims so can easily be done in filing for passports.

There's more to the CS than passports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,908 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A Dublin Weighting will apply soon, when we get all the London City folk over here who know all about that post Brexit.

And who could blame them for wanting it really.

They are not going to be working outside Dublin anywhere are they.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

1. HSE, city and county councils, guards, Ervia

2. As above

3. Anyone getting overtime for working weekends, should be built into rostered hours

4. Weekends

5. Who the feck supplies evidence for being out in PS? My mom works in a school and it's like after 3 continuous days out you have to.

1. They are not examples of inefficiencies, you just listed organisations. You dont seem able to fully comprehend the question.

2. Again, no example.

3. If you add in overtime to core pay...that means everyone gets it. However, you dont seem to.

4. "Weekends" is not an answer. What are the hours?

5. If I take a sick day at home, I need a dr cert.

You are too young to know fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

OK then. Why do you see several council workers standing around one pothole/manhole cover?

This is just the oldest most shyte cliché out there. For what it's worth though there's plenty of the same carry on goes on in the private sector. Replace 'hole' with 'coffee machine' or 'photocopier'

Why does it take so long to get anything done in any department public have to deal with (hospital waiting lists, passports, nct, driving licenses)?

Problems in the Health Service are completely out of the hands of the workers on the frontline eg nurses, doctors, other health staff. The dogs know this.

You can get your passport turned around in 14 days. NCT is a private company but nonetheless extremely efficient, driving license is while you wait, extremely efficient, you've not mentioned it, possibly because you don't pay tax, but the revenue is one of the sleekest and most efficient services I've ever dealt with.

Why is there a load of waste in places like HSE, gardai, bus eireann, Irish water?

Could you be even slightly more exact than 'a load of waste'

Why is their so much overtime for things like opening parks at a weekend? Should that not be rostered work and gave different shift schedules for employees?

Getting a bit extra for doing weekends and unsociable hours is not really unheard of in most jobs be the public or private.

Yep.

You are too young to know fcuk all.

I'm 27, so no, I'm not

I'm 27, so no, I'm not

Oh yes you obviously are, based on the stance you took.

Any wonder the insurance industry in this country is in the state it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The higher tier cos the lower tier cos the highest tier cos the lowest tier cos my uncle told me.

Sweet Jebus.

Not your ornery onager

No wonder the public sector is in a state when yourself and the others above work in them

Just wait til all your jobs get automated

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

I am a public servant in my mid 30s earning under 30k a year in Dublin. I have multiple qualifications and work hard. My role requires detailed knowledge of planning legislation, stakeholder management etc. I have been there for 8 years. I commute 3 hours a day as I can't afford to live with my wife in Dublin on that salary.

What part of me is pampered?
    Why not get a real job?

No wonder the public sector is in a state when yourself and the others above work in them

Aah its great. Pensions, flexi, overtime, great holidays, sick pay, payrises, promotions, increments, free car parking,
    the list goes on and on.
    Only in the PS.
    And all thanks to the Unions!

I have never worked in the Public Service - although we were discussing the Civil Service but the difference eludes you - and I still can't make sense of why you are detouring to irrelevant and hackneyed clichés.

• Advertisement

Donal55 wrote: »
    Aah its great. Pensions, flexi, overtime, great holidays, sick pay, payrises, promotions, increments, free car parking,
    the list goes on and on.
    Only in the PS.
    And all thanks to the Unions!

I assume that is sarcasm because as a private sector worker I had a brilliant pension,(enjoying it now), flexitime, minimum 29 days leave by the time I retired, sick pay for up to six months, annual pay rises, a bucket load of promotions, a free parking spot, and a great salary to boot. So certainly in the PS, if P stands for Private too.

I assume that is sarcasm because as a private sector worker I had a brilliant pension,(enjoying it now), flexitime, minimum 29 days leave by the time I retired, sick pay for up to six months, annual pay rises, a bucket load of promotions, a free parking spot, and a great salary to boot. So certainly in the PS, if P stands for Private too.
    Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The problem with that is the rise you talk about, similar to the one TDs are getting, is due to the fact they (all those on 65k+) took a third pay cut whilst those on less than 65k took two.

This "rise" is a reversal of this third pay cut under Haddington Road which was only every supposed to be temporary.

Teachers are getting restoration of S&S this year but their PR has been stronger with nobody claiming this as a pay rise.

I have never worked in the Public Service - although we were discussing the Civil Service but the difference eludes you - and I still can't make sense of why you are detouring to irrelevant and hackneyed clichés.

Well,I said public sector, not service.

Overall, if you can prove you deserve a payrise, you deserve one, no matter what your role. If you can't and your main argument is they got one or we want what we earned before, you shouldn't get one imo.

Well,I said public sector, not service.

You still don't get the difference nor what we were actually discussing, do you? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Let's not get too technical now or well loose titan completely ;)

Can you give a version that can be scanned and read robotically for him?

noodler wrote: »
    The problem with that is the rise you talk about, similar to the one TDs are getting, is due to the fact they (all those on 65k+) took a third pay cut whilst those on less than 65k took two.

This "rise" is a reversal of this third pay cut under Haddington Road which was only every supposed to be temporary.

Teachers are getting restoration of S&S this year but their PR has been stronger with nobody claiming this as a pay rise.

If you don't want to read it all, pasted the part you may need

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_service
    A civil servant or public servant is a person so employed in the public sector employed for a government department or agency.

Or in my my own view, if you want to disagree, civil service is one part of the public sector, public service is another part of public sector, but they're both still public sector as paid out of taxpayer funds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

Good luck getting automated technology to decipher judges and Gardai scribbles on charge sheets and summonses, incomprehensible passport and SW applications, and dealing with irate and upset members of the public at public counters for a start. You think the system is slow now!

Advertisement