Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next in the Queue - Civil and Public Service Union

Options
  • 08-04-2017 8:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭

They have the paw out and they want their money. And they want you to pay for it.

What say thee After Hours?

For me, avoidance of repeating the mistakes made with public service pay is a much, much larger and critical issue than the issues with housing policy at the moment, we have to try bed down stability, resilience, and sensibility in our economic model and public finances.

This narrative of using the term 'pay restoration' boils my blood each time. Just stop it. And stop it now. You were overpaid, vastly overpaid. There should be no "restoration". What there should be is a lesson learned and a more sensible public sector pay policy bedded down.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 263 ✭✭CoolHandBandit

Keep dreaming. We don't learn lessons in this country like we should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

myshirt wrote: »
    They have the paw out and they want their money. And they want you to pay for it.

For me, avoidance of repeating the mistakes made with public service pay is a much, much larger and critical issue than the issues with housing policy at the moment, we have to try bed down stability, resilience, and sensibility in our economic model and public finances.

This narrative of using the term 'pay restoration' boils my blood each time. Just stop it. And stop it now. You were overpaid, vastly overpaid. There should be no "restoration". What there should be is a lesson learned and a more sensible public sector pay policy bedded down.

The Government needs to use this time to break the unions in this country.

So they need to be strong in this, and every instance, and say "No Deal."

Of course, that won't happen because Politicians care more about getting elected than running the country properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

So they need to be strong in this, and every instance, say "No Deal."

But the goverment can't catch a break when the usual anti this and won't pay for anything brigade are constantly making huge issues out of trivial things.

Protesting against water charges when there is so much more important things to be tackled.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So they need to be strong in this, and every instance, say "No Deal."

Of course, that won't happen because Politicians care more about getting elected than running the country properly.
    The Government need to lead by example.
    But no, first thing they did when tax receipts were up is they granted themselves pay rises. This was the signal that it's open season.

If people are looking for someone to blame start at the top where they set the ball
    In motion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Didnt realise they broke the country. There was me thinking it was speculators, corrupt bankers, incompetent regulators and dodgy deals with politicians. (nearly all of whom have remained quite pampered throughout the crises)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Who helped bring the country to its knees and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

_Brian wrote: »
    But no, first thing they did when tax receipts were up is they granted themselves pay rises. This was the signal that it's open season.

If people are looking for someone to blame start at the top where they set the ball
    In motion.

Politicians don't decide their own pay,and haven't done since the recession (and rightly so), the recent rise was linked to a pay restoration due to civil servants under the Haddington Rd agreement but it would appear to be too much effort for our bone idle media to report such a basic fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

In motion.
    TDs pay is linked directly to civil servants pay, so they didn't grant themselves pay rises; civil servants got pay rises and they were included in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,094 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Phoebas wrote: »
    TDs pay is linked directly to civil servants pay, so they didn't grant themselves pay rises; civil servants got pay rises and they were included in that.

Which they could have refused to take - therefore they did effectively grant a payrise to themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Calculon1982

I am a public servant in my mid 30s earning under 30k a year in Dublin. I have multiple qualifications and work hard. My role requires detailed knowledge of planning legislation, stakeholder management etc. I have been there for 8 years. I commute 3 hours a day as I can't afford to live with my wife in Dublin on that salary.

What part of me is pampered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Civil servants got their pay slashed, deductions made that will give them no benefit and longer working hours for free.
    Time has come to get it back l, particularly when take home pay is 20euro more than social welfare for a family before travel costs etc are taken into account.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Which they could have refused to take - therefore they did effectively grant a payrise to themselves

No, they didn't.

That's daft.
    If I (or anyone else) gets a pay rise, and I accept it, I haven't granted it to myself.

And who turns down a pay rise? I never have and never would.
    Would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am a public servant in my mid 30s earning under 30k a year in Dublin. I have multiple qualifications and work hard. My role requires detailed knowledge of planning legislation, stakeholder management etc. I have been there for 8 years. I commute 3 hours a day as I can't afford to live with my wife in Dublin on that salary.

I don't believe the PS is pampered but to be fair your circumstances are not the norm in the CS

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

The greed is sickening. People who have plenty and still want more.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,094 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

That's daft.
    If I (or anyone else) gets a pay rise, and I accept it, I haven't granted it to myself.

Would you?

You have the option of taking it or not. Therefore whether you take it or not is your choice. Couldn't be clearer. You're arguing over terminology.

As to whether i would take a payrise or not, you picked the wrong poster to ask... because i did turn a payrise down about 3 years ago.

Again though - you are missing the point. I'm not an overpaid politician who is telling others to not expect a payrise in these "tough times". They could lead by example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You have the option of taking it or not. Therefore whether you take it or not is your choice. Couldn't be clearer. You're arguing over terminology.

As to whether i would take a payrise or not, you picked the wrong poster to ask... because i did turn a payrise down about 3 years ago.

Again though - you are missing the point. I'm not an overpaid politician who is telling others to not expect a payrise in these "tough times". They could lead by example.

Do you think been a politician in modern Ireland is easy and they don't deserve a pay rise like others?

It's probably one of the worst and stressful jobs going right now with the abuse and heckling they receive each day. Even death threats in some cases.

As was already pointed out, politician's pay is not decided by themselves, so they didn't give themselves any pay rise.
    You have to cover one eye and squint hard with the other one to see it any other way.

Anyway, why is a thread about the CPSU threatening strike being dragged off topic into yet another anti politician thread? The CPSU represent clerical workers - the lowest paid grades in the civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sounds like the Op failed his CO aptitude tests...better luck next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Sounds like the Op failed his CO aptitude tests...better luck next time.

Have you been out of the house today at all?

How many millionaire guards do we have down the quays at the moment smoking cigars and eating lobster?

There is a serious cultural issue here, and it's feeding right down to the Civil & Public Service union. For a long time I thought we're just looking at a lack of financially literate people and this would filter out as education got better and people came to their senses, but in fact there is something way more sinister at play here. The absolute gall of these guys is flabbergasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

myshirt wrote: »

Too late. I got the first tranche in yesterday's pay packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,504 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

That's daft.

Would you?

WHO ??

Those who are telling everyone else in public/civil service that the country can't afford to give pay rises, thats who !

Leaders are supposed to lead, not further prove that the whole country is built upon a two tier system..

They sent out the wrong message by granting/accepting/arranging pay increases for themselves ahead of every other public/civil servant and then say there's no money left !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I am also a lower waged public servant with qualifications. i work hard as do my colleagues, we have taken on more hours with no wage increase and had our wages cut buy the government with no restoration.

We are not people who go in a scratch our arses all day. the big boys at the top get big money - but the majority of ordinary people who keep the show running do not. People who p!ss on public and civil servants reputations make me sick. People who say we are in a cushy number and we have it all - publicjobs.ie is where anyone and everyone can apply, feel free.

WHO ??

Those who are telling everyone else in public/civil service that the country can't afford to give pay rises, thats who !

Leaders are supposed to lead, not further prove that the whole country is built upon a two tier system..

They sent out the wrong message by granting/accepting/arranging pay increases for themselves ahead of every other public/civil servant and then say there's no money left !

Why are you persisting with this lie when it has already being pointed out to you on this thread that TD's pay rises aren't decided by TDs but were part of wider public service pay restoration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

START SLASHING THE DOLE. GET THOSE SCROUNGERS OFF THEIR ARSES. SELL OFF COUNCIL HOUSING TO PRIVATE VULTURE FIRMS. PUT THE HOMELESS IN PRISON. PRIVATISE HEALTHCARE. BRING BACK HANGING.

4DGY OPINONS M8

R4SP4XT

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Christ, I'm deaf now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

The greed is sickening. People who have plenty and still want more.

19k net a year is sickening greed now? that's take home pay of a new civil servant, good luck trying to live on that in Dublin (where majority of jobs are located) If you want the worst candidate possible looking after your tax, courts, garda, passport, immigration, health service admin business etc then fair enough. Just don't complain when the system becomes infinitely worse than it is now, once what's left of the experienced staff retires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

But the goverment can't catch a break when the usual anti this and won't pay for anything brigade are constantly making huge issues out of trivial things.

Protesting against water charges when there is so much more important things to be tackled.

Stop, just stop. I encourage you to dig deep and especially look at the acquisitions prior to IW being set up and why most people really protested. TD Catherine Murphy has done brilliant work here. I am constantly seeing the movement being referred to as the anti- everything movement. Such utter bull****. I pay more tax than most people in the country and many of my fellow protesters were the same.

Don't compare please. The anti IW movement was one of the best things to ever rise up in this country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭billyhead

Uriel. wrote: »
    I don't believe the PS is pampered but to be fair your circumstances are not the norm in the CS

Is the salary figure quoted net or gross though?

Advertisement