Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Riddle101 wrote: »
    ^^^ On the poster I would have switched Big E for Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn myself. Did Big E have a significant run in NXT?

He was on NXT, did well but he is black and part of one of the most over actsbon the main show now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,981 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Chris Jericho leaving the company on April 30th after PAYBACK.

Prob be back at the 2018 Royal Rumble for another run. This current run is one of the best in his career

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Prob be back at the 2018 Royal Rumble for another run. This current run is one of the best in his career

Fozzy's touring schedule will dictate when he returns, just won't go holding my breath on when...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

He's advertised for shows in June. He's going to be gone about 3 weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Fozzy's first leg of their tour is the entire month of May and then they are doing European festival dates in June!

• Advertisement

Fozzy's first leg of their tour is the entire month of May and then they are doing European festival dates in June!

They've only Download in June, with obviously more Euro festival dates TBA.

Monokne wrote: »
    He's advertised for shows in June. He's going to be gone about 3 weeks or so.

Those shows are always subject to change..

I know, but they released advertising this week stating he will not be on shows in May, but will be in June, so this isn't old advertising, it's current.

Meltzer:

"CHRIS JERICHO TEMPORARILY DEPARTING WWE SOON AFTER WRESTLEMANIA
    BY DAVE MELTZER | @DAVEMELTZERWON |
    Add Chris Jericho to the list of those who will be departing WWE temporarily soon.

Jericho's recent stay in the company was scheduled originally to end last fall, but due to how much fun he was having with his role with Kevin Owens, he delayed it and kept the program going, saving the first match for WrestleMania.

Jericho will remain with the company for a few weeks after WrestleMania, but will be touring with his band Fozzy from 5/5 to 5/27.

It appears this will be a short-term departure as Jericho has been pulled from all May shows, but is being advertised for shows in June.
    "

Officially confirmed, Swagger's been future endeavored.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2017/3/13/14911226/wwe-releases-jack-swagger

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Interestingly enough, WWE could not trademark the name Jack Swagger. So no Swack Jaggers in the Impact Zone unfortunately

https://mobile.twitter.com/mookieghana/status/841350692203819008

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Ya, crazy! Mookie's also shown same for Erick Rowan and Brock Lesnar (although that's his real name so you'd expect that).

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/plans-wrestlemania-34-main-event-changes-wrestlemania-33-title-match

So Brock will hold the title for a year and golden boy Roman reigns will win it off him at mania 34 and official become the face of WWE Christ

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

http://www.ewrestlingnews.com/news/plans-wrestlemania-34-main-event-changes-wrestlemania-33-title-match

So Brock will hold the title for a year and golden boy Roman reigns will win it off him at mania 34 and official become the face of WWE Christ

Jesus I hope this is off. They're planning on building Reigns over the next year? As opposed to what they've been doing for years now?

Also did we not already have this main event at WM31 and while the match didn't suck I have no interest in seeing it again.

Also I'm guessing this means Vinny has cooled off Balor again. The injury ****ed his chances. Vince already believes the smaller wrestlers are more injury prone.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I think I saw Meltzer reporting similar, but stressed he didnt believe Brock would hold the title for a year. He thought he'd drop it and then regain it round Rumble-season next year.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think I saw Meltzer reporting similar, but stressed he didnt believe Brock would hold the title for a year. He thought he'd drop it and then regain it round Rumble-season next year.

still dont want to see Reigns vs Lesner again

Vince is not giving in on this 'Reigns being the new face of wwe' thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

still dont want to see Reigns vs Lesner again

Vince is not giving in on this 'Reigns being the new face of wwe' thing

Only thing i feel will that would stop this reigns push at this stage would be vinces death

ricero wrote: »
    Only thing i feel will that would stop this reigns push at this stage would be vinces death

That's the grim reality of it unless they turn heel and then face just before mania 34

Jayus when Vince kicks the bucket all WWE activity would be rightly stopped for a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That's the grim reality of it unless they turn heel and then face just before mania 34

Jayus when Vince kicks the bucket all WWE activity would be rightly stopped for a few weeks

Isn't his mantra "The show must go on."?

He'd probably want his death worked into an storyline.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Isn't his mantra "The show must go on."?

He'd probably want his death worked into an storyline.

Definitely.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were a provision in his will.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Definitely.

Wouldn't surprise me if it were a provision in his will.

Who killed Vince McMahon ???

They almost did it in 2007 after the limo explosion but the benoit incident happend the week after

Remember when the tron fell on him during that Vince's millionaire thing and when he was put in a coma by the original NXT stable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Who killed Vince McMahon ???

They almost did it in 2007 after the limo explosion but the benoit incident happend the week after

Remember when the tron fell on him during that Vince's millionaire thing and when he was put in a coma by the original NXT stable

"Paul...paul...I can't feel my legs"

ricero wrote: »
    "Paul...paul...I can't feel my legs"

And Cena shouting help at everyone around lol

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Nah it'll be business as normal in terms of product. That's what he'd want. But there'll be absolute bedlam behind the scenes for a long while as the power grab begins, it'll be fascinating, as sad as the death will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leggo wrote: »
    Nah it'll be business as normal in terms of product. That's what he'd want. But there'll be absolute bedlam behind the scenes for a long while as the power grab begins, it'll be fascinating, as sad as the death will be.

What power struggle ? It's triple h and steph steering the ship when the time does come, and it's looked that way for years. Shane might be back and he has stocks on the company but i'm not sure how much power day to day he has.

It's people like kevin dunn I'd be worried about as I do think that vince's inner circle might be told to go take a hike. Triple H and Stephanie will obviously want their people around and that's fair enough, with like vince making sure some people are taking care of just like his dad did in the early 1980's.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What power struggle ? It's triple h and steph steering the ship when the time does come, and it's looked that way for years. Shane might be back and he has stocks on the company but i'm not sure how much power day to day he has.

It's people like kevin dunn I'd be worried about as I do think that vince's inner circle might be told to go take a hike. Triple H and Stephanie will obviously want their people around and that's fair enough, with like vince making sure some people are taking care of just like his dad did in the early 1980's.

If you think it's Hunter and Steph steering the ship, then I'm afraid I've got some bad news, it might on the surface look like they are, but it's ol Vinny back doing all the steering/decisions until the day he kicks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Vince is head of the creative and corporate side of the company. The Wall st folk might not like someone unproven like Triple H taking over the corporate side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, you say that, but you also have to remember that WWE is a publicly-traded company, so it operates to the tune of a Board of Directors and shareholders. So it's not as simple as Vince just deciding who takes over and that getting taken as gospel. That'll only be the case in the immediate aftermath of his death while the company is in transition and a period of respectful mourning takes place.

The chairman of the board is the person who makes the decisions and that person is elected by the board. As it's Vince's company, he created it, knows how to run it and has built an empire from wrestling like nobody else has, he is never not going to be elected and holds a controlling share in the company anyway. When it's not him, whoever takes over initially (likely Triple H and Steph, you're right there) could face resistance. And then you account for hard times they may run into down the line and how that'll call into question their position in a way we've just never seen with Vince. And if you're assuming that Shane will just roll over and accept that the company he was being primed to run and will see as his birthright, to the point that he left it and built his own empire just to prove to his father (and others) that he could, only to return years later...well, that's a big assumption that we just don't know about. Then you take Kevin Dunn's reportedly shaky relationship with Trips and Stephanie into account and remove the mediator from the equation. Then the million other factors we don't even know about now and will learn in time.

If Triple H and Stephanie come in and hit a home run immediately, they'll be grand. When does that ever happen for WWE though? Like when is there a period where ratings, merch sales, live event sales, Network subs, product and talent relations are all thriving? Keep in mind that that's all WITH Vince at the helm. Like I said, it's gonna be fascinating to see...

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

People still on this 'Vince loves Roman' narrative? Triple H loves him too. He didn't put him over at Mania for a laugh. If Triple H was in charge the Roman push would be the same imo. He gave Batista a mega push who was worse than Roman in the ring. Sheamus was another of his buddies he pushed despite the fans being lukewarm to him.

Meltzer was asked yesterday who the biggest full time draws were if we don't count Cena as one. His answer was he didn't think there was one, but probably AJ, Reigns or Orton. Now AJ Styles will be 40 in June. Orton is slightly younger but not someone you can make as the face of the company as it's been tried. So if you want to make money, rather than impress smarks, then you have to look at it from the point of view of 'Who is young enough to build the company around in future years?' 'Who has a good look that can appear on shows like Conan O'Brien, Kimmel and seem legit?' 'Who can put on good matches in big event situations?' Reigns ticks all the boxes. A Mania main event involving Balor and Styles would appeal to most of us but we are not the mainstream demographic they need to appeal to in order to be successful. That's why this year's main event will be Goldberg vs Lesnar, something the general public will invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,644 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, you say that, but you also have to remember that WWE is a publicly-traded company, so it operates to the tune of a Board of Directors and shareholders. So it's not as simple as Vince just deciding who takes over and that getting taken as gospel. That'll only be the case in the immediate aftermath of his death while the company is in transition and a period of respectful mourning takes place.
    Well chairman of the board is only one of the titles that Vince holds within WWE. He is also the CEO and owner. So someone will have to take over the those and I highly doubt that vince and WWE haven't had a plan set in place for when the day does come when vince is no longer the head bottle washer in WWE.
    The chairman of the board is the person who makes the decisions and that person is elected by the board. As it's Vince's company, he created it, knows how to run it and has built an empire from wrestling like nobody else has, he is never not going to be elected and holds a controlling share in the company anyway. When it's not him, whoever takes over initially (likely Triple H and Steph, you're right there) could face resistance. And then you account for hard times they may run into down the line and how that'll call into question their position in a way we've just never seen with Vince. And if you're assuming that Shane will just roll over and accept that the company he was being primed to run and will see as his birthright, to the point that he left it and built his own empire just to prove to his father (and others) that he could, only to return years later...well, that's a big assumption that we just don't know about.
    It's the mcmahon family that have a controlling share on the company. Triple H and steph are on the board of the company and are high up in the company. I know shane had sway but as far as I know he doesn't hold a position of power in WWE.
    If Triple H and Stephanie come in and hit a home run immediately, they'll be grand. When does that ever happen for WWE though? Like when is there a period where ratings, merch sales, live event sales, Network subs, product and talent relations are all thriving? Keep in mind that that's all WITH Vince at the helm. Like I said, it's gonna be fascinating to see...

Well they have been given the experience that they shouldn't fail. But nothing is certain obviously.

• Advertisement

Meltzer was asked yesterday who the biggest full time draws were if we don't count Cena as one. His answer was he didn't think there was one, but probably AJ, Reigns or Orton. Now AJ Styles will be 40 in June. Orton is slightly younger but not someone you can make as the face of the company as it's been tried. So if you want to make money, rather than impress smarks, then you have to look at it from the point of view of 'Who is young enough to build the company around in future years?' 'Who has a good look that can appear on shows like Conan O'Brien, Kimmel and seem legit?' 'Who can put on good matches in big event situations?' Reigns ticks all the boxes.

All of this is fine in theory, but their audience has hit two decade record lows and been continuously dwindling with Roman in that spot. So this idea that Roman is good on talk shows doesn't hold water. He's handsome but he also comes across disingenuous and there's just nothing likeable about him.

Another thing Meltzer often discusses is that you can tick all the boxes but the proof of what gets over is what gets over. And Roman has failed miserably I the role he's assigned.

If they flip him, now that's money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement