Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Their contracts were very short term. According to Ryan Satin (who also broke the ROH buy out story), WWE have offered them contracts and the amount of appearances per year is a stumbling block.

Young Bucks signed a contract with ROH before the new year, would they be contracted to the WWE if they bought ROH or would the contract they have also need to be bought out like some of the big names in WCW back when WWE bought WCW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

it depends really i think when they bought wcw they only bought the rights to the name, likeness and back catelouge to avoid taking on any debt.

would be amazing to have roh back catleouge on the network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Young Bucks signed a contract with ROH before the new year, would they be contracted to the WWE if they bought ROH or would the contract they have also need to be bought out like some of the big names in WCW back when WWE bought WCW.

It depends on a few variables. WWE may have an option to take on the contract of performers, ala WCW, but it depends on how lucrative and flexible it is for both parties. The flexibility of appearances may not suit WWE (WWE would most certainly want The Bucks contracted to a more fixed appearance deal) nor the money for said appearances. The Bucks may not want to go either, as they seem happy with the money they make on the indy scene and the flexibility that goes with it.

Rumours a plenty that Mike Bennett and his Wife, Maria are WWE/NXT bound. Both have been quickly gone from TNA and they have been secretive both were they will head next. Could be nothing but you never know.

Wasnt mad on Bennett at first but he's been he and Maria were a positive in recent months in TNA.

Ah that's so ****ty for JR. His autobiography is out this year too, wonder if he got it finished already. Not the most important thing obviously but the last week will cause changes to it.

• Advertisement

Ah that's so ****ty for JR. His autobiography is out this year too, wonder if he got it finished already. Not the most important thing obviously but the last week will cause changes to it.

Im sure thats the last thing on his mind now. His world is probably destroyed without her. I hope he has enough support around him to help him through.

JR would be around my Dads age, and he's be lost without my Mam. My thoughts are with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'm surprised Christopher Daniels never made it to WWE, so if he moved from ROH, it could be good. Especially with AJ and Joe already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'd love to see Daniels & Kazarian get a run in WWE maybe as AJ's minions.

Leave Gallows & Anderson on RAW with Finn to take on Joe, KO & HHH.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sad to hear what happened Jim Ross's wife. It happened so suddenly as well. She was driving her vespa was in a car accident. Horrible way to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Obviously very sad to hear about JR's wife

on the ROH/WWE thing here is what Dave Meltzer had to say

• Advertisement

With Metly being tight with ROH I'd say he knows a lot more than he's letting on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

At Daniels age, you'd imagine he'd be a brilliant addition to the NXT roster from an experience point of view...

Lord TSC wrote: »
    At Daniels age, you'd imagine he'd be a brilliant addition to the NXT roster from an experience point of view...

You'd think at least he'd be a great trainer. I don't think WWE will need him as a performer now, they have enough indy darlings and experienced hands in the company on both the main roster and NXT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Daniels would likely need a crash course in WWE style himself before he was able to train anyone. That isn't a criticism, he's great at what he does, but listen to the pod he did with Austin ages back and there were some big knowledge gaps that got exposed there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

They could throw Daniels into next CWC just to test waters with him.

They could throw Daniels into next CWC just to test waters with him.

If they are even having one? Rumours are a womens classic is the next idea

leggo wrote: »
    Daniels would likely need a crash course in WWE style himself before he was able to train anyone. That isn't a criticism, he's great at what he does, but listen to the pod he did with Austin ages back and there were some big knowledge gaps that got exposed there.

They hire plenty of trainers who never wrestled with WWE. Norman Smiley, Adam Pierce, Sara Del Rey etc.

i dont really watch roh anymore any reason why daniels seems to wear a nazi style millitary jacket

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Imagine being happy about the prospect of WWE buying ROH. Fairly awful thing to happen on a number of levels and just another reminder that WWE feeling that all wrestling should be under their banner.

I dont think anyone said it was good news?

• Advertisement

It's not that you need to work for WWE, it's needing to understand how to work the style that you'll need to teach there and Daniels works a very indie style and is quite set in his ways (like a taxi driver who's picked up bad habits). Give that podcast a listen and you'll see what I mean, Austin tries to gently give him some tips and Daniels is receiving them well but you can hear it's just not going in because he's been doing it for so long.

He has undeniable experience that'd make him invaluable in such a role, though, like I said it'd just be a crash course he'd need (Aries was the same and is grand now). But for that reason I doubt he'd get hired immediately as a trainer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Rumours a plenty that Mike Bennett and his Wife, Maria are WWE/NXT bound. Both have been quickly gone from TNA and they have been secretive both were they will head next. Could be nothing but you never know.

Wasnt mad on Bennett at first but he's been he and Maria were a positive in recent months in TNA.
    Maria has come on so much that I'd be genuinely enthused to see her on WWE TV again. Truth be told her ability was always there but wasn't given the chance to evolve beyond playing a ditz.

Bennett I like, could be a very solid mid carder and I don't think he's gotten to the bottom of himself either.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Imagine being happy about the prospect of WWE buying ROH. Fairly awful thing to happen on a number of levels and just another reminder that WWE feeling that all wrestling should be under their banner.

It's almost as if the higher ups in WWE can't accept the fact that there are alternatives to their sometimes (most of the time) woeful product, so they think and I'll quote The Godfather here, "make 'em an offer they can't refuse" in hopes of crushing competition.

We all know what happened to WWE the last time they crushed/hoovered up their competition at the time, they got absolutely bloody lazy/rested on their laurels instead of building of what had already come before.

I sincerely hope that the powers that be in Ring Of Honor tell WWE to stick their offer where the sun doesn't shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

World of Sport will return in a joint venture between ITV & Anthem Media.

“Thirty years after the original WOS ended – and legendary stars such as Big Daddy, Mick McManus and Rollerball Rocco left British screens – this new series will feature the very best of today’s wrestlers from the current red-hot U.K. wrestling scene. They will compete in front of a live audience at the intimate Preston Guild Hall on Thursday 25th May and Friday 26th May (doors 7pm / bell time 7.30pm).”

Tickets for the shows go on sale at 9 AM on April 7th. There will also be a launch event on Monday at 2 PM local time in Manchester, where the full details of the WOS live shows will be announced.

“This opportunity to work with ITV Studios to revive this iconic brand in the United Kingdom is a perfect example of the ways in which we intend to leverage our strengths to build our presence in international markets in collaboration with local organizations,” said Ed Nordholm, President of iMPACT! Wrestling.

Tom Mclennan said, “Britain’s wrestling scene is thriving and there has never been a better time to bring it back to ITV after a gap of 30 years.”

Jeff Jarrett added, “The WOS brand is etched in professional wrestling tradition. My family’s lineage in the industry dates back 70-plus years, so I am honoured for the opportunity to work on reviving the legacy of this historic British series.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    It's almost as if the higher ups in WWE can't accept the fact that there are alternatives to their sometimes (most of the time) woeful product, so they think and I'll quote The Godfather here, "make 'em an offer they can't refuse" in hopes of crushing competition.

We all know what happened to WWE the last time they crushed/hoovered up their competition at the time, they got absolutely bloody lazy/rested on their laurels instead of building of what had already come before.

I sincerely hope that the powers that be in Ring Of Honor tell WWE to stick their offer where the sun doesn't shine.

Well they absolutely would not be buying their competition this time. I also doubt this is WWE going out of their way to buy ROH, more likely the parent company has made it known they'd be interested in selling.

im pretty sure sinclair who owns ROH is a huge company itself it might be bigger than wwe but dont put the huge investment in. i dont think they would talk to wwe if they had no interest in selling the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

WWE has an interest in buying because 1) They can market the footage of all their stars who've worked there and 2) It eliminates a company that talent are using for leverage in negotiations (Young Bucks, for example).

You would be right to point out that this is short sighted (where would they be had they not cherry picked all the talent ROH created?) however with the glut of talent they have, that are due in, and that is in ROH now, they would be stocked for several years.

They can't just stockpile talent, though. At the end of the day they have a balance sheet to account for, so any influx of talent they'd bring in would lead to a lot of dead weight going out the other end too.

But you're spot on about them removing competition for talent. I'd say ROH's exclusive contracts are a pain for them to deal with, they'd probably have signed Ospreay on the spot after the Ricochet match last year and now would see it as they have to hope this young, marketable talent doesn't beat up his body too much before they can get their hands on him and hone him to a safer style (that's not a comment on Ospreay, I know he is working smarter, just how they'd see it). Plus they have EVOLVE as a feeder now anyway, that's pretty much completely replaced ROH's (and previously ECW's) old role, so they're not cutting off their nose as much as they would've done a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

leggo wrote: »
    They can't just stockpile talent, though. At the end of the day they have a balance sheet to account for, so any influx of talent they'd bring in would lead to a lot of dead weight going out the other end too.

But you're spot on about them removing competition for talent. I'd say ROH's exclusive contracts are a pain for them to deal with, they'd probably have signed Ospreay on the spot after the Ricochet match last year and now would see it as they have to hope this young, marketable talent doesn't beat up his body too much before they can get their hands on him and hone him to a safer style (that's not a comment on Ospreay, I know he is working smarter, just how they'd see it). Plus they have EVOLVE as a feeder now anyway, that's pretty much completely replaced ROH's (and previously ECW's) old role, so they're not cutting off their nose as much as they would've done a few years back.

It does not make sense for them to do so, but essentially that is what they are doing already. They already have far more contracted talent than they actually need, with so many being under utilised.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement