Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd love if Vince just said fu*k it & sold it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Monokne wrote: »
    All of this is fine in theory, but their audience has hit two decade record lows and been continuously dwindling with Roman in that spot. So this idea that Roman is good on talk shows doesn't hold water. He's handsome but he also comes across disingenuous and there's just nothing likeable about him.

Another thing Meltzer often discusses is that you can tick all the boxes but the proof of what gets over is what gets over. And Roman has failed miserably I the role he's assigned.

If they flip him, now that's money.

I agree Reigns ticks the boxes but isn’t over. You could argue that Cena was in similar position when he was initially picked as the new face hence why Vince is pushing ahead with Roman. Vince pressed ahead with Cena and he looks set to be pressing ahead with Roman. So there is logic behind it.

While TV is in decline It’s hard to say/ measure if business is in decline for various reasons. The network is the main one. It’s hard to gauge how successful WWE is in terms of viewers as while live TV is declining, youtube, dvr, illegal downloads and hulu on demand services have given the viewer more choice and accessibility to keep up with the product if not watching live.

Also while tv ratings are down, tv ratings from other channels are also down but WWE is decreasing at a slower rate than other types of tv shows ( ie dramas, sitcoms etc).

Also its harder with the network to gauge what’s over in terms of buys rather than with ppv buys. 10 years ago, WWE could easily gauge what’s working and not working depending on the trend of ppv buys and adjust accordingly. Now its not as clear as they are only concerned with networks subs overall and that figure may not be a great indicator initially to whats working.

Personally I think Roman lacks the ability to connect with the audience as a good guy because of how is character is written. The scripts/lines hes given are not getting him over. He doesn’t deliver the comedy naturally and therefore the funny lines come off flat. His bad ass dialogue makes him look like a dick rather than a cool face. But WWE have had this problem with most faces in recent years (Rollins in particular).

But basically Roman is working hard, his matches are generally well worked, I don’t believe his ability to get over is his fault. He seems like a more natural heel and Im surprised WWE didn’t turn him first to eventually get him over as a face. But Cena worked for Vince and he looks intent on pushing Roman in similar fashion.

But Cena came of as genuine, he suited the role of babyface much more naturally and like Moonke has said, he comes off very sly and disingenuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

My early memories of Cena (and i may be wrong) was as the doctor of thuganominics. He had a body gard and was the bad guy but the crowd started to love him and he flipped naturally.. surely a run like that for Reigns is the answer to see if he connects with the "universe"

MrMac84 wrote: »
    My early memories of Cena (and i may be wrong) was as the doctor of thuganominics. He had a body gard and was the bad guy but the crowd started to love him and he flipped naturally.. surely a run like that Reigns is the answer to see if he connects with the "universe"

Thats how Cena initially got over and he had a fair bit of fan backing in end of 03/2004. Soon into his title reign in 2005, the fans would grow tired of him and the vocal abuse would grow weekly to a point where most fans grew sick of him. Yet Cena would keep going as the super babyface despite the majority of fans would resent him. He got a fair amount of hate as does Roman today. Now there are differences, but a similar path seems to have been followed to an extent into how Roman is booked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

My early memories of Cena (and i may be wrong) was as the doctor of thuganominics. He had a body gard and was the bad guy but the crowd started to love him and he flipped naturally.. surely a run like that Reigns is the answer to see if he connects with the "universe"

cena got over naturally on his own once the thuganomics gimmick caught on. the fans were begging for cena to turn face. the crowd only really turned against him when after mania 21 were he was more aggressively thrown down our throats.

roman never got over on his own. he was over in the shield as the muscle as he was great in the silent destroyer role but when they split the shield they just thrust roman into the top spot. there was no subtle moments were he was winning the crowd over over like cena did.

i also dont think roman is anywhere near the charmisa levels of cena and comes across as distant and a d**k in most outside interviews ive seen or read. everything with him just seems forced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I remember going to a show in Manchester back in the day, and Cena was the Dr of Thuganomics at the time. Remember when he'd rap on his way too the ring, well he rapped at this show and it was all about David Beckham being sent off for England the night before against Turkey iirc. He gave Beckham an awful time but it was hilarious and the crowd didn't know whether to laugh or boo as Beckham was prob at Madrid at this stage but was still a big favourite with the Manchester crowd.

I could see the face behind the heel then, but I'm not sure if Reigns has that 'hook' or the charisma to ever be as popular as Cena. And I actually like Reigns. I love a good power move, he's got a good look and he delivers in big matches. I wonder in this day and age has Reigns been forced on fans so long that he'll be rejected no matter what happens now.

sky88 wrote: »
    i also dont think roman is anywhere near the charmisa levels of cena and comes across as distant and a d**k in most outside interviews ive seen or read. everything with him just seems forced.

Now I think he is very charismatic. I feel he's oozing charisma, he's got a look and a presence and he can speak. Everything about his push has been too forced and we all resent him in the role of bad ass face. It's unnatural, uncomfortable and no one cares.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well chairman of the board is only one of the titles that Vince holds within WWE. He is also the CEO and owner. So someone will have to take over the those and I highly doubt that vince and WWE haven't had a plan set in place for when the day does come when vince is no longer the head bottle washer in WWE.

You've kinda just bolded the parts that suited your argument and argued against them while ignoring the parts that didn't. Like I said, Vince can have a plan in place, but it's a public, not a private, company accountable to shareholders. That means that it is owned by the public, not Vince, he is the founder and majority shareholder. So Vince doesn't get to make that call solely. And, even so, his call is really just who his successor is. As soon as he dies, he gives up all executive power in WWE because, you know, he's dead. So his influence and wishes beyond the immediate plans are just something people can choose to respect or not. As time goes on, the company will grow and change and have new requirements, which will then influence who pulls the strings. If there's a problem, they won't consult Vince's will for guidance, they'll hold a board meeting and the current power-brokers will hash it out.
    It's the mcmahon family that have a controlling share on the company. Triple H and steph are on the board of the company and are high up in the company. I know shane had sway but as far as I know he doesn't hold a position of power in WWE.

You seem to know more about Vince's last will and testament than Triple H, Stephanie, Shane, Meltzer and the lot here, so kudos. :pac: We've no idea how he's doled things out, share-wise, so your point is 100% speculation.
    Well they have been given the experience that they shouldn't fail. But nothing is certain obviously.

Again...you completely ignored the part of the post that didn't suit this point. The point was that things in WWE are NEVER constantly all running smoothly, it's such a big company there's always a fire to put out. If Network subs are running to target, ratings are down, or there's an injury crisis.

As things are, Vince gets leeway to deal with that because he literally invented the wrestling business as we know it today, i.e. there's nobody else in the world who knows how to be Vince McMahon. So if ratings are the lowest they've been since 1997 when not running against a sports event or holiday (as they have been lately)...we're used to there not being panic about whether it'll affect those at the top of WWE because who else can replace Vince?

Take him out of the equation and all of a sudden a fire like that can become an inferno as Triple H and Stephanie's positions can all of a sudden be called into question, because people could easily say, "Wait, if what they're doing isn't working, why wouldn't Shane or Eric Bischoff be able to do the job? Both have run corporations from the top before whereas Triple H and Stephanie haven't!" Especially if, say, Shane isn't a willing participant in the handover of power.

We've never experienced anything like this in our lifetimes. To post with the certainty that you're speaking with about what's going to happen is foolish. When Triple H, Stephanie and Shane themselves don't seem to know for sure, how can you come on here and say that you do and expect to be taken seriously?

Look at Man Utd and Alex Ferguson for example. Vince is essentially Sir Alex.

Fergie got to a stage where his methods were unquestioned. He earned it with his success and no matter what problem happened, whether he was wrong or right, he was backed. If bad results happened, Fergie would get the benefit of the doubt and given as much time as possible to solve it.

Now when David Moyes came on board, he was always under pressure. He hadnt got the same backing from the board. When bad results went his way, he was fired. He was seen as out of his depth and no man to replace Fergie.

Now when Vince departs, whom ever comes in to that job will be treated like David Moyes. A few bad results and their head will be on the block whether its Steph, Hunter, or whom ever. Vince is beyond reproach and he will always get the benefit of the doubt because of who he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Look at Man Utd and Alex Ferguson for example. Vince is essentially Sir Alex.

Fergie got to a stage where his methods were unquestioned. He earned it with his success and no matter what problem happened, whether he was wrong or right, he was backed. If bad results happened, Fergie would get the benefit of the doubt and given as much time as possible to solve it.

Now when David Moyes came on board, he was always under pressure. He hadnt got the same backing from the board. When bad results went his way, he was fired. He was seen as out of his depth and no man to replace Fergie.

Now when Vince departs, whom ever comes in to that job will be treated like David Moyes. A few bad results and their head will be on the block whether its Steph, Hunter, or whom ever. Vince is beyond reproach and he will always get the benefit of the doubt because of who he is.

Yes! This! I was actually gonna use that example but I think I used a football example before here and it went down like a led balloon. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

I think David Moyes would be a better pick as Vince's successor then he was as Sir Alex's. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Very sad to hear this about Jim Ross's wife. I hope she pulls through but this does not sound good

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/844090354781618176

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The last line of that tweet doesnt sound good. Jesus that's rough. The rest of the tweet is serious but the last line is very worrying.

just seen on pwinsider twiiter vince was in a crash this morning as well no news on if he was ok.

hopefully him and jrs wife will be fine.

actually just seen this vince seems fine.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/844237942180622336

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Seemed to walk away from it.

4zv2v36iismy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

sky88 wrote: »
    just seen on pwinsider twiiter vince was in a crash this morning as well no news on if he was ok.

hopefully him and jrs wife will be fine.

actually just seen this vince seems fine.

https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/844237942180622336

Given that he's survived a set falling on him, his limo being blown up whilst he was in it and countless other accidents I'm not surprised he's unhurt

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Vince McMahon is the real Superman of WWE.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Where was Rikishi when this happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Where was Rikishi when this happened?

He did it for The Rock.

Heartbreaking update from Jim Ross about his wife

Monday night at approximately 9:30 pm while I was recording the Ross Report about 30 miles from our home, my wife Jan was riding her Vespa home from the gym when when was struck from behind by an automobile driven by a 17 year old young man. Jan suffered a catastrophic brain injury including multiple skull fractures. My little Angel was unfortunately not wearing a helmet which arguably would have prevented the extreme nature of her injuries.
    I will fully admit that there has been no experience in my life that could have prepared me for this life changing week. To see one's life partner and love of one's life being kept alive via life support equipment is tragically heartbreaking.

The full update is on his blog here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

That is really devastating. Very heavy.

Not having a go at her, but I have worked in motorbike/scooter Insurance for the past 13 years and dealt with many folk who have lost loved ones on a bike. Every time I've been to the States since and seen people driving without helmets I have always been absolutely horrified. How it can be legal to do that but illegal to drive without a seat belt, I do not know.

Praying for her and him that she pulls through.

Monokne wrote: »
    That is really devastating. Very heavy.

Not having a go at her, but I have worked in motorbike/scooter Insurance for the past 13 years and dealt with many folk who have lost loved ones on a bike. Every time I've been to the States since and seen people driving without helmets I have always been absolutely horrified. How it can be legal to do that but illegal to drive without a seat belt, I do not know.

Praying for her and him that she pulls through.

Yes I think its crazy too.

Don't want to take the thread off topic but I remember seeing this about a motorcyclist guy in the states protesting a helmet law falling off his bike and dying after hitting his head.

For now we can only hope she recovers from this awful incident as unfortunately the laws might be for another day.Really hope she can recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,754 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I must have missed the part at the end about the life support. Jesus that's horrible. Obviously I don't know what's going thru JRs head but I could easily see him cancelling the shows he had planned to do mania weekend. I don't think any of the fans would blame him if he did have to. His wife's health is more important that wrestling stuff.

Sadly she didn't make it feel so bad for Jr.

https://twitter.com/JRsBBQ/status/844710423081488384

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

That's heartbreaking. Poor JR

• Registered Users Posts: 28,964 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just saw on twitter a rumour that WWE are secretly(clearly not secret enough) in talks to buy ROH. Was on my mobile so don't have a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Just saw on twitter a rumour that WWE are secretly(clearly not secret enough) in talks to buy ROH. Was on my mobile so don't have a link.

I've read this too.

I would hope they'd keep it as a separate promotion. However, THAT back catalogue would be immense. Back stories for so many talents, Samoa Joe, Punk, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens and his big mystery rival El Generico, Nigel McGuinness - a huge wealth of talent

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    I've read this too.

I would hope they'd keep it as a separate promotion. However, THAT back catalogue would be immense. Back stories for so many talents, Samoa Joe, Punk, Daniel Bryan, Seth Rollins, Kevin Owens and his big mystery rival El Generico, Nigel McGuinness - a huge wealth of talent

The promotion is a shadow of its former self. With talent leaving, the NJPW relationship deteriorating and the reliance on over the hill talent, ROH in its current form isnt worth much. Many of the decent talent are already WWE/NJPW bound depending on what you read. It's sad as it used to be an innovative talent breeding ground but its hasnt been must see wrestling in quite some time. The library would be a great scoop depending on what they pay for it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Vince so desperate to get the Hardyz back, he just buys ROH when they sign there :pac:

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Vince so desperate to get the Hardyz back, he just buys ROH when they sign there :pac:

Their contracts were very short term. According to Ryan Satin (who also broke the ROH buy out story), WWE have offered them contracts and the amount of appearances per year is a stumbling block.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement