Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some Wrestling News & Rumours 2019 Thread ***NO CHAT***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah but you're talking about talent as they're utilised by creative. That's different to signing too many people up to contracts, creative is just one aspect of their business. They have spots to fill with 3 hours of Raw, 2 SmackDown Live and extra hours for NXT, 205 Live and Superstars, not to mention the new WWE UK show, by which they can justify the contracts that they have. And they also only sign with intent. Even if someone doesn't cut it (which they accept is a part of the process), they don't sign anyone they don't at least intend to use.

Signing an entire roster of talent, essentially like they did with the WCW buyout, is a completely different league though. Then you're in a situation where the talent expenditure becomes sky high and a drain on the company. It wouldn't even be cost effective to create new content for them to wrestle on (which I imagine is mostly run at a loss too, with the net profit for the whole company on stuff like Cena/New Day tees balancing it out). That's not a decision based on hiring and investing in the future. So I'd expect to see some purging, both in shedding the ROH roster ASAP (if they do absorb the contracts) and cutting a lot of dead weight on their own.

Realistically, though, for that reason I don't even see them buying the company out, just the video library if anything, kinda similar to how they flirted with buying with TNA then opted against. It's giving themselves too much work without any kind of guaranteed return.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,151 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

WWE's new woman recruit. World champion kickboxer, mixed martial artist.....and she's 6'5'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

J. Marston wrote: »
    WWE's new woman recruit. World champion kickboxer, mixed martial artist.....and she's 6'5'.

Herself and Alexa in the same ring would be a funny visual

• Registered Users Posts: 28,965 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was that a luchadora as well?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

https://twitter.com/MATTHARDYBRAND/status/845517529867059201

Matt Hardy: #BROKEN Matt Hardy is officially @RebyHardy & myself's licensed trademark, as stated by the US Patent Department.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Ben Gadot

Chuffed for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Blue_Dabadee

Casual fans would be wondering what the **** happened to Hardy Boys.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

and could be intrigued to stick around to find out perhaps. It's a pretty attention grabbing gimmick so hopefully if they could grab the casuals attention with it the other wrestlers / angles could then keep them tuned in.

That's my positive spin on it anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 38,156 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope WWE don't **** it up

TBH didn't watch TNA so don't have a clue what this broken thing is all about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

The fact that the name 'Broken' is now trademarked to Matt does not mean they also own the entire gimmick and all the intellectual property that goes with it. Y'all probably knew that but it read like some people thought that they were free and clear based on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

PTH2009 wrote:
    Hope WWE don't **** it up

Ah we all know they will it's a guarantee. Especially if it's something successful outside of their product

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The important question though is whose gonna do the job for King Maxwell and will we see him on 205 live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

They absolutely won't be bringing this broken nonsense anywhere near the main roster. It's either the broken gimmick on NXT or a normal comeback on the main roster, and there's probably more value in bringing them back straight to the main roster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

correction wrote: »
    They absolutely won't be bringing this broken nonsense anywhere near the main roster. It's either the broken gimmick on NXT or a normal comeback on the main roster, and there's probably more value in bringing them back straight to the main roster.

What?

Of course he will.

Yeah, he's not fighting so hard while in contract negotiations with WWE only to not use it when they get the call.

The character itself may make the main roster but I'd be more than shocked if it's anything like it was in TNA. I can't see WWE doing any off location videos and any of the extra weird stuff.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,201 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

The character itself may make the main roster but I'd be more than shocked if it's anything like it was in TNA. I can't see WWE doing any off location videos and any of the extra weird stuff.

They already copied from it with the Wyatts.

correction wrote:

Meltzer noted they were interested in bringing in the entire package. Put bluntly I'm not sure how else you'd do it, particularly for Matt. With the live audience being so heavily consistent of hardcores now, that's how they see Matt and the DELETE and OBSOLETE chants will follow him.

Maybe I'm wrong but whenever I picture someone explaining to Vince what they'll be doing I just can't see how he doesn't have a heart attack on the spot.

They can bring in the character and Vince can then mold it how he sees it, no different to the Wyatts coming in from NXT or Joe, AJ and Aries from TNA. He hasn't appreciably changed the presentation of any of them. Compacts

• Advertisement

Maybe I'm wrong but whenever I picture someone explaining to Vince what they'll be doing I just can't see how he doesn't have a heart attack on the spot.

I see him seeing the reactions and how successful it's been and wanting to go for it. I also see him making a balls of it and not understanding it. The character won't be the same because there was a healthy dose of irony in it, and mainly because Matt himself got to come up with all of it, which he won't get to do in WWE. But all evidence points to it happening so let's give them a chance.

This is pretty much nailed on brother Leggo.

Just thinking about this - in 2017 WWE has 4 brands and AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode and Austin Aries are anchoring one each, under the names they used in TNA and on the indies, and being presented in effectively the same manner they were presented when they were best booked outside WWE. Isn't that nuts? Like 18 months ago we'd all have thought that impossible.

Such a shame they didn't take all 4 when they were younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Monokne wrote: »
    Just thinking about this - in 2017 WWE has 4 brands and AJ Styles, Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode and Austin Aries are anchoring one each, under the names they used in TNA and on the indies, and being presented in effectively the same manner they were presented when they were best booked outside WWE. Isn't that nuts? Like 18 months ago we'd all have thought that impossible.

Such a shame they didn't take all 4 when they were younger.

Samoa Joe is not even in the top 3 on Raw tbh much less an anchor.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Samoa Joe is not even in the top 3 on Raw tbh much less an anchor.

Yeah that's fair, I was writing on the assumption that when Bill, Taker, Brock & Hunter are done being weekly characters in ten days, he'll be a top 2/3 heel all year. Besides which, the broader point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Yeah the talk of Joe "anchoring" Raw is very premature. He could get to that point in the future, but he doesn't have a WrestleMania match (he'll probably end up in the battle royal if he doesn't face Zayn for the hundredth time in a month) so I'm guessing they don't view him as a top, top guy like Styles.

Speaking of AJ though, if he is indeed heading for Raw after Mania, Balor is the man to send over in his place IMO. The character development is much better on the blue show, the booking is slightly better and Finn has the type of gimmick that needs that, in fact I'd love to see what they can do with the Demon thing. As we can see from the Wyatt/Orton story, Ryan Ward and co aren't short on creativity and I prefer a show that goes over the top sometimes rather than one that takes zero risks like Raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Joe only debuted on Raw 6 weeks ago lads give him a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 21,383 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Joe only debuted on Raw 6 weeks ago lads give him a chance

Who here isn't giving him a chance? I correctly pointed he's not a top guy on Raw yet after another poster said he was "anchoring" the show. I'm sure they have big plans for him, but no confirmed WM match for him isn't an ideal start to his main roster tenure after the big debut they've given him, I think that's fair to say.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Yeah the talk of Joe "anchoring" Raw is very premature. He could get to that point in the future, but he doesn't have a WrestleMania match (he'll probably end up in the battle royal if he doesn't face Zayn for the hundredth time in a month) so I'm guessing they don't view him as a top, top guy like Styles.

Speaking of AJ though, if he is indeed heading for Raw after Mania, Balor is the man to send over in his place IMO. The character development is much better on the blue show, the booking is slightly better and Finn has the type of gimmick that needs that, in fact I'd love to see what they can do with the Demon thing. As we can see from the Wyatt/Orton story, Ryan Ward and co aren't short on creativity and I prefer a show that goes over the top sometimes rather than one that takes zero risks like Raw.

I'd like to see Balor swap over if AJ does go to Raw but it wouldn't shock me if the first planned feud for AJ is Balor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

and could be intrigued to stick around to find out perhaps. It's a pretty attention grabbing gimmick so hopefully if they could grab the casuals attention with it the other wrestlers / angles could then keep them tuned in.
    correction wrote:

As a casual who used to love the HB back in the day, what's the gimmick they're running with today, and what weird stuff would WWE not be able to replicate? What's the "full package" that was referenced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

As a casual who used to love the HB back in the day, what's the gimmick they're running with today, and what weird stuff would WWE not be able to replicate? What's the "full package" that was referenced?

Heres a rough background taken from reddit user /u/Scottyflamingo
    Matt and Jeff were the tag champs when Jeff legit injured himself in a motorcycle accident and they had to forfeit the belts.

Matt went on a single's run and became champion.

Matt ultimately had to face the undefeated EC3 for his title and turned heel by aligning himself with EC3’s bodyguard, Tyrus.

Jeff disagreed with him and they feuded in several matches, one of which Jeff put Matt through a table. Afterwards Matt came back saying he was "Broken" due to the I Quit match where he claimed he permanently injured his spine after Jeff put him through the table. He started talking with the accent and referred to Jeff as "Brother Nero".

They continued to feud and Matt continued getting weirder. Finally he challenged Jeff to THE FINAL DELETION at the Hardy compound (Several acres of land where they both have homes).

Which led to this contract signing

Followed by this match

Matt won and "Deleted" Jeff.

Matt revealed that he now owned Jeff and he was going to work him like a mule. He forced Jeff into 2 on 1 handicap matches to know what he had to go through when Jeff was injured and left Matt alone. Somehow Jeff kept winning and Matt began helping him in his matches. Jeff also began acting more insane, embracing his Brother Nero.

If you have an hour to spare you should check out Matt's appearance on the talk is Jerico podcast, its really bizarre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement