Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just had a bit of a barney with a neighbour

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

anewme wrote: »
    Well, personally Id look at it more seriously than laughing because as a woman living alone I'd not tolerate a man kicking at my front door in any way shape or form and would be reporting it as the threatening behaviour that it is and expect it to be dealt with as such.

I'd imagine if it was ascertained WHY he came over to your house as in the OP, it wouldn't be taken too seriously. It would be treated as a civil matter as it wouldn't be one-sided.

Graces7 wrote: »
    And the problem was that the kids were asked to leave his property and came back.

For accuracy, kids were told by a an adult to "f*** off" and came back.
    Has it not happened to you then? The kids were in his garden with no reason or purpose other than to annoy and disturb .

And they probably hear a lot worse from dad :rolleyes::eek:

I just wouldn't swear at children like that. As I said, I'd probably laugh at it and think, Jesus, what if they saw me doing something stupid like playing air guitar or dashing out of the shower for a towel. Sure, if they actually did something wrong on my property, egged a window or something, I'd get annoyed. But not for looking in a window. It just wouldn't bother me like it bothers some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »

Adults...not swearing enough at children who wander onto property...is why society "is going down the pan"...

Well don't understate it anyway!

This place needs that laughing with tears emoticon you get on Facebook...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

__Alex__ wrote: »
    I'd imagine if it was ascertained WHY he came over to your house as in the OP, it wouldn't be taken too seriously. It would be treated as a civil matter as it wouldn't be one-sided.

Sorry, but it wouldn't be taken as a civil matter.

if I give out to kids for being on my property does not change the fact that it's illegal for you to damage my property.

They are separate incidents.

You can't just damage people's property or threaten them, these are offences

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Adults...not swearing enough at children who wander onto property...is why society "is going down the pan"...

Well don't understate it anyway!

This place needs that laughing with tears emoticon you get on Facebook...

Most of your posts on this thread are virtue signalling. "Wouldn't bother me mate. I'm liberal on the children staring into my house".

Great, but not everybody is. The op isn't. Women generally aren't. (And don't put it past young lads to be voyeurs). The old aren't.

However the main problem here isn't the kids but the parents. Bring told his children were trespassing why did the neighbour get angry with the op? A curse? Big deal?

Most of your posts on this thread are virtue signalling. "Wouldn't bother me mate. I'm liberal on the children staring into my house".

:D

We've done the "if you don't swear at kids, society goes down the pan" stuff, we have moved to the "not swearing at kids and clearing them off your property is liberal virtue signalling nonsense".

Do you want to go back, edit your post, and squeeze in something about the "PC brigade"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

:D

We've done the "if you don't swear at kids, society goes down the pan" stuff, we have moved to the "not swearing at kids and clearing them off your property is liberal virtue signalling nonsense".

Do you want to go back, edit your post, and squeeze in something about the "PC brigade"?

Do you want to stop engaging in straw men?

I'll stop accusations of virtue signalling when you stop engaging in virtue singnalling. nobody cares that you are OK with kids trespassing. That's your business. Most people aren't.

The thread isn't just about the tresspass but the subsequent events. The idea that it's the shouting at the trespassers is worse than the tresspass, that the parents of the kid get to come over and kick your door.

You might get that neighbour some wine, I doubt it, but it's not going to appeal to most people, so it's irrelevant

Do you want to stop engaging in straw men?

I'll stop accusations of virtue signalling when you stop engaging in virtue singnalling.

You seem to be getting more excited and focussed on me? Relax, deal with the thread.

Look, I have no doubt you'd swear at kids. And maybe give them a shoe along the way. But don't assume everyone is angry and defensive about their 300 square metres of land. As I said, I'd laugh it off. If kids being kids makes others angry, that's their right, neither response is "more right"...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

OP -

The way I see it is this.

Your house, your rules.

You want to tell them to FO, then tell them.

Your neighbor has a problem with that? Then they shouldn't let their kids wander into your house.

Your neighbor is having a go at you? Should be apologizing.

Should be having a go at himself / herself for not having a clue where their kids are.

A lot worse could happen to kids wandering onto someone's property than being to told to FO. But they haven't given that any consideration.

If its one thing that annoys me, its the parents that just let the kids wander wherever they please and never monitor them or keep an eye on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Do you have children, OP?

And are you male or female?

Just wondering about the effect of seeing a fella kcking the front door, and whether the gardai treat it differently when it's a woman's door! Although they didn't care when my neighbour kicked/thumped my door, having waited til my boyfriend was away from home, and then waylaid me and roared abuse at me, twice, as I was leaving the house, and I'm female. the point of it is, my boyfriend's a lot bigger than I am)

Do you have children, OP?

And are you male or female?

Just wondering about the effect of seeing a fella kcking the front door, and whether the gardai treat it differently when it's a woman's door! Although they didn't care when my neighbour kicked/thumped my door, having waited til my boyfriend was away from home, and then waylaid me and roared abuse at me, twice, as I was leaving the house, and I'm female. the point of it is, my boyfriend's a lot bigger than I am)

Its a very good point. I think it would be disconcerting for anyone to be honest if a neighbor landed a kick on their door, but more disconcerting for some than others.

Remember a situation in our neighbourhood where a bunch of teenagers in their boyracer were, amongst other things, parking it on the footpath outside a ladies house so she couldn't access her driveway.

All comes back to the parents - you go to the parents to complain, and if they don't care about it and wont discipline the kids, or even worse they get belligerent about it - then its an upward struggle from there. And I'd imagine there is not much in practice that gardai can do.

Being threatened in your own home is not a nice situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

The OP had a go at him about his parenting skills before he did that. I think a "go f*** yourself questioning me about my ability to discipline my own children" would be a better response than kicking the door, granted. But for all the aggro in the first post here, the worst that is alleged about the kids is that they stared in a window and leaned on a sill. It's hardly a big deal, it doesn't suggest they are scrotes or whatever else was said about them.

It's not just that they were staring in the window, its also that they were told to go away and yet came back again

If they did it once that wouldnt be so bad ( mind you I would have a problem with someone on my property peering in the windows), but its the fact that they showed no respect to the property owner and did it again

If for 1 minute I thought my child was doing this he wouldnt have to worry about the neighbours!!

Why is it that we must always thread so carefully with kids.? They do wrong they have to be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

You would have loved someone like Bob Mortimer growing up in your estate!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

SAMTALK wrote: »
    It's not just that they were staring in the window, its also that they were told to go away and yet came back again

If they did it once that wouldnt be so bad ( mind you I would have a problem with someone on my property peering in the windows), but its the fact that they showed no respect to the property owner and did it again

If for 1 minute I thought my child was doing this he wouldnt have to worry about the neighbours!!

Why is it that we must always thread so carefully with kids.? They do wrong they have to be held accountable.

It's practically terrorism.

its a pain in the hole and people should be left to enjoy their homes in peace.

The narky Dad needs to be responsible for supervising his own children and not expect the OP to entertain them and put up with them staring in the windows any annoying the dog.

As someone else said, OP's house, OP's rules.

Narky hole would be probably quick enough to knock in to complain about the dog barking, not mentioning little Johnny is tormenting the thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus. With some people saying the OP is out of order, perhaps the OP should put a sign in his garden that says "Children are welcome to lean on my window sill and look through the window" :rolleyes:

Nobody is saying it is!!

It just manners and boundaries actually, and knowing right from wrong

Anyway......mods maybe time to call on end....not sure this discussion has anywhere left to go......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Has no-one got blinds or curtains anymore, just bleeding close them! Problem solved. My house is right on a street and if I was to tell everyone who looked in the window to go FO I'd be soon locked up for being the mad woman of the village.

People need to get over themselves sometimes, kids will be kids. They were looking at the dog for gods sakes.

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    Has no-one got blinds or curtains anymore, just bleeding close them! Problem solved. My house is right on a street and if I was to tell everyone who looked in the window to go FO I'd be soon locked up for being the mad woman of the village.

People need to get over themselves sometimes, kids will be kids. They were looking at the dog for gods sakes.

Sure.

But that's not what the OP was talking about.

He was talking about kids coming into his garden and messing.

Apart from anything else, they break their legs and he'll be facing a big payout.

I'm sure you'd have no problem putting your hand in your pocket though Pilly.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Sure.

But that's not what the OP was talking about.

He was talking about kids coming into his garden and messing.

Apart from anything else, they break their legs and he'll be facing a big payout.

I'm sure you'd have no problem putting your hand in your pocket though Pilly.

No, he actually said what freaked him out was them looking in the window.

No, he actually said what freaked him out was them looking in the window.

Pedantics pal. Looking in the window from the garden. That's quite an intrusion.

its not the same at all as someone walking past a terraced house with no garden looking in.

Your choice if you want to equate the two.

Wow.. We should all keep our curtains closed ??
    The difference is your house is right on the street but the OP has a lawn at the front so therefore they were on his property.
    Fine, you say they were looking at the dog, but they were told to leave and CAME BACK AGAIN.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I wouldn't want any of you people as my neighbours, given that ye've managed to spend three days (so far!) bickering over this! :pac::pac::pac:

jimgoose wrote: »
    I wouldn't want any of you people as my neighbours, given that ye've managed to spend three days (so far!) bickering over this! :pac::pac::pac:

Then you need to win the lotto or buy a house with a moat.

Unfortunately, for some of us we cant do that, but it does not mean i'm going to put up with little Johnny trampling my flowers, staring in the windows and tormenting the dog. Control your kids or stop whinging when they are told to FO!

I probably would have been nice the first time, but part two would have been what part of F off now do you not understand?

Suggesting people pull their curtains is just nonsense. Pull your own curtains if you want, but I wont and neither will I be putting up with moon faced kids staring in.

Little Johnny skids on a lump of dog poo and then you have Mummy and Daddy trying to sue for thousands?

When you live on an Estate, its important to respect peoples privacy and boundaries. Important lesson in growing up for the children. The Da would be better placed teaching his kids to respect adults rather than kicking someones door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Has it not happened to you then? The kids were in his garden with no reason or purpose other than to annoy and disturb .

And they probably hear a lot worse from dad :rolleyes::eek:

But you neither know the intentions of the kids nor what they hear at home. Most things in life are benign and so are the intentions of most kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Patww79 wrote: »

Wow, that's a cynical view of kids. Or was there meant to be a sarcastic face after that?

• Advertisement

annoying the dog
    Tombo2001 wrote: »
    messing
    trampling my flowers, staring in the windows and tormenting the dog.

As some seem to now just be making up what the kids did, let's use the handy direct quote function before we have them down for violent crime...
    Specialun wrote: »
    So i was up stairs an hour ago and i could hear my dog going nuts barking..a ran down, opened the door to see 3 kids staring in my living room window..they were actually leaning on the window sill. I went out a said go away..10 mins later its off again..

No messing, no trampling flowers, no tormenting the dog, just staring in a window.

In fact, the OP implies that they were playing.
    Specialun wrote: »
    They cannot play wherever they feel like just because there kids.

And he told the kids that were playing to "f*** off". As I said before, it wouldn't be my reaction anyway, each to their own.

Advertisement