Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General sheep thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

Lads, bought a few sheep 2 weeks ago. It's about 20 years since we last had em. Anyway, housed them today onto straw and they're scratching like mad, what's the issue here?
    Advice appreciated.

were they damp, sometimes that irritates them when they go in to a shed, otherwise you may go for something like Ivomec

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

rangler1 wrote: »
    were they damp, sometimes that irritates them when they go in to a shed, otherwise you may go for something like Ivomec

Yeah they were damp, hard to avoid that the last week! Will see again in the morning, we'll know then if it's anything more sinister. Thanks Rangler.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Bought a CH ram for the Ewe lambs, going by the crayons he had an immediate impact & nothing seamed to repeat.
    First should be lambing at end of month, stuck the hand under a few at the trough with no obvious sign.
    Was he firing blanks?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Farrell wrote: »
    Bought a CH ram for the Ewe lambs, going by the crayons he had an immediate impact & nothing seamed to repeat.
    First should be lambing at end of month, stuck the hand under a few at the trough with no obvious sign.
    Was he firing blanks?

We had ewe lb a few days ago and lambed out of the blue...wasn't really expecting her. If they're still a month away I wouldn't get worried

We had ewe lb a few days ago and lambed out of the blue...wasn't really expecting her. If they're still a month away I wouldn't get worried
    Hopefully
    Had a few (best) which got spoiled by a pet, they were showing sign well in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dylan collins

lads does anyone think there is a future in farming full time for the next genaration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭DJ98

lads does anyone think there is a future in farming full time for the next genaration

Perhaps if you have alot of land and alot of stock, a small scale man/woman could not possibly farm full time

DJ98 wrote: »
    Perhaps if you have alot of land and alot of stock, a small scale man/woman could not possibly farm full time

Don't know if scale would cut it, you could be a busy fool.
    My view is current system has static income with increasing overheads & additional people wanting a part of your share with latest must haves or made do's.
    The current system is a race to the bottom which is putting off the next generation which only suits being a hobby.
    I think things will improve but what have we to endure before then...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Have you not asked this question before in various threads Dylan?

What is your current system, and what are your own plans for the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Bullocks wrote: »
    Would ye be able to tell me a couple of measurements for a sheep feeding gate ?
    I want to replace a cattle feed barrier just for when theyre lambing .
    I would be thankful for the height of the bottom timber and height over that , that they feed out through
    Thanks in advance

Made a start today, hang it hopefully tomorrow evening. Thanks lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭MD1983

Lads

I am looking for a factory to bring my lambs too, always brought them to Kildare but if i always bring them there the buyer will know that, i would like to bring them somewhere else from time to time so that the next time he price chips me I dont have to take it. I realise i might not get anything more elsewhere and that doesnt bother me too much.

Based in south kildare, happy to drive for maybe an hour. Store lambs, mainly horny ram lambs with the odd suffolk or texel or cross bred lamb.

Also could you let me know what the other factories are like to deal with.

cheers

MD

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭stantheman1979

You could bring them to ICM camolin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 connolly18

is thriver any good and what is the best thriver to get

• Registered Users Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭kk.man

MD1983 wrote: »
    Lads

I am looking for a factory to bring my lambs too, always brought them to Kildare but if i always bring them there the buyer will know that, i would like to bring them somewhere else from time to time so that the next time he price chips me I dont have to take it. I realise i might not get anything more elsewhere and that doesnt bother me too much.

Based in south kildare, happy to drive for maybe an hour. Store lambs, mainly horny ram lambs with the odd suffolk or texel or cross bred lamb.

Also could you let me know what the other factories are like to deal with.

cheers

MD

Ballon Meats...they are ok but don't pay QA even though they only accept QA...Usually follow Moyvalley on price

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

Lads, bought a few sheep 2 weeks ago. It's about 20 years since we last had em. Anyway, housed them today onto straw and they're scratching like mad, what's the issue here?
    Advice appreciated.

Could it be biting lice? I have hoggets housed for a couple of months now and they were acting strange, kicking and jerking and lying down and getting up and generally irritated. Anyhow vet said biting lice and suggested dectomax. Another farmer friend suggested Ectofly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭White Clover

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Could it be biting lice? I have hoggets housed for a couple of months now and they were acting strange, kicking and jerking and lying down and getting up and generally irritated. Anyhow vet said biting lice and suggested dectomax. Another farmer friend suggested Ectofly.

Twas as rangler said above Jack.... They were damp going in. Very content and settled now.
    Thanks anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

Jack180570 wrote: »

Seen a few kicking and jerking the same as if the had maggots, think it's the milder weather

razor8 wrote: »
    Seen a few kicking and jerking the same as if the had maggots, think it's the milder weather

Seen a few of mine at that today as well... up and run bout and then settle, and lie down... was a savage day so there was a bit of 'taspaí' on em too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Have a ewe with twins with one big bottle tit and the other normal sized,lambs are doing well and not hungry,will she have to be milked or what's the story with this?

IH784man wrote: »
    Have a ewe with twins with one big bottle tit and the other normal sized,lambs are doing well and not hungry,will she have to be milked or what's the story with this?

Check to make sure they're sucking from that side...

I would say if the lambs are doing ok, and they are sucking from both sides, you should be grand...

Not sure I'd keep lambs from her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I would say if the lambs are doing ok, and they are sucking from both sides, you should be grand...

i'm not sure if its genetic, seems to come with age more than anything

ganmo wrote: »
    i'm not sure if its genetic, seems to come with age more than anything

I think everything is genetic :)

I'm not sure it's age, have seen hoggets have em...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

What marker do people use. We generally use marksman but the numbers faded really quickly this year . (sprays)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

What marker do people use. We generally use marksman but the numbers faded really quickly this year . (sprays)

marksman as well, but find we have to put on heavy, i.e go very slowly or go over the number a couple of times

find the mules the hardest to do , fades very soon

Had problem with scab (bought in stock infected), gave everything 2ml of Dectomax & seamed to cure.
    Notice the (bought) ram losing Wool & scratching & some inlamb Ewe lambs & lambed ewes scratching too.
    Should I inject everything with ivomec / biomectin - ram, ewes, inlambs & baby lambs?

orm0nd wrote: »
    marksman as well, but find we have to put on heavy, i.e go very slowly or go over the number a couple of times

find the mules the hardest to do , fades very soon

Coyle's markers last a long time ime

Farrell wrote: »
    Had problem with scab (bought in stock infected), gave everything 2ml of Dectomax & seamed to cure.
    Notice the (bought) ram losing Wool & scratching & some inlamb Ewe lambs & lambed ewes scratching too.
    Should I inject everything with ivomec / biomectin - ram, ewes, inlambs & baby lambs?

You have no choice but too if you want rid of it unless you contract someone in

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Ashill5

Just new into sheep this year and have all lambed grand but had 2 sets of triplets.
    So have 2, pet lambs who are doing grand on Lamlac, just wondering how long I will have to keep them on it before weaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

Ashill5 wrote: »
    Just new into sheep this year and have all lambed grand but had 2 sets of triplets.
    So have 2, pet lambs who are doing grand on Lamlac, just wondering how long I will have to keep them on it before weaning.

http://www.volac.ie/agriculture/caring-for-your-livestock/lamb-rearing

this link should have all the answers to your questions, making sure they are eating sufficient meal is the key to weaning, in my experience

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭IH784man

Seem to only be sucking from one side,can milk her but it's sore on her,and me.What will I do with her as I dont want to be milking her every evening,will put her in a bare field with no meal for a while?

Advertisement