Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General sheep thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

No no, I am not lambing this year, I only bought a few store lambs. I am a pure hobby farmer now Mayo. That's what I meant by done with lambing... ;)

Feckin armchair farmers ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

ganmo wrote: »
    Feckin armchair farmers ;)

If only I had the big SFP...

I'd take it too - I wouldn't care if people called me an armchair farmer :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

by the letter of the law you're meant to put a red tag(i think) in her and then you can only sell her to the factory

The red tag is no longer in use, if a ewe looses the EID, there is two options, first order replacement single like the way cattle tag is ordered and insert,
    Second put in a new set and correlate the old tag to the new one inserted, as for letting sheep loose both tags in a small flock is just pure laziness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

as for letting sheep loose both tags in a small flock is just pure laziness.

Good for you that has so much time to be checking tags in sheep so often and closely that you can say that if a sheep in a small flock is just pure laziness although I fail to see what the size of the flock matters unless with a big flock you'd be too busy with other stuff to be considered lazy.

The red tag is no longer in use, if a ewe looses the EID, there is two options, first order replacement single like the way cattle tag is ordered and insert,
    Second put in a new set and correlate the old tag to the new one inserted, as for letting sheep loose both tags in a small flock is just pure laziness.
    then explain why its still on the tag order forms?
    http://www.mullinahonecoop.ie/downsheepPDF.aspx
    and ... bottom of page 14 https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/animalidentificationandmovement/nationalsheepidentificationsystem/NSISInformationBooklet230512.pdf

the trick is to work smart not hard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Ard_MC

I mightnt see some of my ewes for 4 to 6 months...as the run on a few thousand acres of a hill so alot can happen in that time with tags..no1 can give me an answer to that question if they do come home with out them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

That booklet is going back to 2012 and mullinahone have not up dated there sheet in recent years, the red tag is no longer in use to simplify the tagging and traceability on farm.

That booklet is going back to 2012 and mullinahone have not up dated there sheet in recent years, the red tag is no longer in use to simplify the tagging and traceability on farm.

except its still on the dept website on the sheep tagging and identification page

show me something that backs you up

• Registered Users Posts: 40 connolly18

i have just had a lamb and its very weak anyone got any good ways to help it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

connolly18 wrote: »
    i have just had a lamb and its very weak anyone got any good ways to help it

Colostrum from the ewe and keep him warm,there's not a lot more you can do.
    Could he be premature

• Advertisement

went into the field and had to pull him took him and the ewe inside and noticed that he had a big lump kinda thing where his ambilical cord is not to sure what it is he is to weak to suck and got a wee bit down him

• Registered Users Posts: 41 JMF240

Umbilical hernia exists where some abdominal contents are effectively bulging through a weak opening at the umbilicus. I'd be interested to know if it is a hernia as I'll be attending an upcoming talk about it in calves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Is there any way a ewe with one spin will rear twins ?
    I only noticed she had one teat after she lambed and have nothing to foster one of them onto , she is very maternal and I wouldnt mind if I could leave them on her and top them up with a bottle every day . Neither lamb wants to take a bottle though and they're reasonably full .
    I ran out of patients trying them with the bottle so put the two young lads in the trailer and let them at it , where I was running out of patients they thought it was the funniest thing ever watching the lambs chewing and sticking their tongues out around the teat :D

Bullocks wrote: »
    I only noticed she had one teat after she lambed and have nothing to foster one of them onto , she is very maternal and I wouldnt mind if I could leave them on her and top them up with a bottle every day . Neither lamb wants to take a bottle though and they're reasonably full .
    I ran out of patients trying them with the bottle so put the two young lads in the trailer and let them at it , where I was running out of patients they thought it was the funniest thing ever watching the lambs chewing and sticking their tongues out around the teat :D

It'll be a first if it works
    I'm finding this years that lambs that are obviously in need of supplementing will not drink lamlac this year while they are on the ewe, anyone else finding this.
    we've tried supplementing while waiting for a foster ewe and have had to take them off the ewe to give them lamlac, they'd waste away on the ewe before they'd give in to lamlac

Save yourself the hassle, put one of em up on DoneDeal if you don't have a foster ewe...

lads i need some advice with a lamb he is a very big lamb and i had to pull him from the ewe and i have him alright and all now i just need him to stand but he has no energy is there anything i can give him

lads i need some advice with a lamb he is a very big lamb and i had to pull him from the ewe and i have him alright and all now i just need him to stand but he has no energy is there anything i can give him

Tube colostrum into him... keep him warm... bout all you can do...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Thanks lads , I was being hopeful when I saw one with triplets going grand but they are fuller in the belly than the twins at this stage .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Oldira

rangler1 wrote: »
    It'll be a first if it works
    I'm finding this years that lambs that are obviously in need of supplementing will not drink lamlac this year while they are on the ewe, anyone else finding this.
    we've tried supplementing while waiting for a foster ewe and have had to take them off the ewe to give them lamlac, they'd waste away on the ewe before they'd give in to lamlac

Yeah. Had triplets wehere two lambs were good but the third was a little runt. Tried supplementing him with the lamlac but he just wouldnt take it. He tried to suck but obviously couldnt get past the other two. Died of course. My fault as I should have jsut removed him and reared as a pet. But he was very small anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭kk.man

Oldira wrote: »
    Yeah. Had triplets wehere two lambs were good but the third was a little runt. Tried supplementing him with the lamlac but he just wouldnt take it. He tried to suck but obviously couldnt get past the other two. Died of course. My fault as I should have jsut removed him and reared as a pet. But he was very small anyway.

I would alwarys leave the weaker ones on the mother...my tuppence worth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I think it's 50/50 and only do it if you have no other options. I have a ewe with one spin rearing twins out in the field. I just had no more capacity for a pet lamb and she had lots of milk on one side. They are five weeks old now so will probably survive.

lads does anyone know how much lamb volostrum do u give a lamb in his first 2 days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

lads does anyone know how much lamb volostrum do u give a lamb in his first 2 days

Get as much in as possible in the first 24 hrs. They cannt absorb it after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I use a different brand but it recommends feeding 20g in 100mls within 4 hours and again 4 hours later. I would even go again if the lamb is an orphan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭razor8

It needs 20% of its body weight in colostrum in the first 24 hours. Split into 4 or 5 feeds

razor8 wrote: »
    It needs 20% of its body weight in colostrum in the first 24 hours. Split into 4 or 5 feeds

Just after giving a lamb out of a hogget that was born at 6oc his second 150ml, so thats 300 ml in 3 hrs, I robbed the colostrum from an adult ewe lambed at the same time,... he doesn't seem to want to stand up

Little premature perhaps. If he makes it through night he'll should make it

I've a lamb born as triplet but the ewe absorbed other 2. He has something similar to swayback and a useless sucker. It takes an hour to nearly drink 200ml . I took him away from ewe this evening and put a bucket with him. I've stomach tubed him a few times to try and build him up . At a lose to what else to try???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

razor8 wrote: »
    Little premature perhaps. If he makes it through night he'll should make it

I've a lamb born as triplet but the ewe absorbed other 2. He has something similar to swayback and a useless sucker. It takes an hour to nearly drink 200ml . I took him away from ewe this evening and put a bucket with him. I've stomach tubed him a few times to try and build him up . At a lose to what else to try???

I had a similar triplet. Had to put him down after 3 days. Just would not suck.

On a better note my first Romney ewe lamb Lambed this stonking 6.5kg

• Advertisement

Advertisement