Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 209: Woodley vs Thompson 2 Sat Mar 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

mdwexford wrote: »
    Woodley got one takedown and one flurry at the end when his corner told him he needed a finish. Other than that he fought a terrible fight.

Which is more than Wonderboy managed in 10 rounds.

Pressure shouldn't mean anything without output.

Wonderboy had 2 shots and failed both times. He could have taken that fight if he let his hands go at all. But he pussyfooted around.

He didn't land a single big shot last night, few spinning back kicks that's it.

You criticize Woodley but say nothing about how terrible Wonderboy and his game plan was. He approached it like a point karate fight and got punished for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wonderboy might of won 3 rounds last night but over 2 fights he just didnt prove himself to be a better fighter than Woodley, his reluctance of engaging due to the takedown is his problem, he needs to shore up his ground game so it doesnt leave him afraid to pull the trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wonderboy might of won 3 rounds last night but over 2 fights he just didnt prove himself to be a better fighter than Woodley, his reluctance of engaging due to the takedown is his problem, he needs to shore up his ground game so it doesnt leave him afraid to pull the trigger.

agree with this, if these two make anything clear for me neither are championship quality fighters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,425 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Did you all see the Nevada commission director Bob Bennett said this about the fight....

“If you’re a top-notch, A-plus judge, you should be able to discern through the scoring criteria who wins the fight, even if it’s razor thin,” Bennett said. “Does a 10-10 round come up? Yes, but in the three years — almost three years — that I’ve been the executive director, we have not had a 10-10 round. And I think it’s incumbent upon the judges to be on top of their game and be able to pick a winner in that round. One effective strike or kick can determine who wins a round.”

Bennett took issue with the D’Amato’s 10-8 for Woodley in the fifth, calling it “unacceptable,” since Thompson was winning the round until Woodley dropped him and did significant damage in the final minute of the fight.
    “The one judge that had it 10-8 — we went over it in the debriefing — and that 10-8 was unacceptable,” Bennett said. “Not that it would have affected the outcome of the fight, but just to share it with you. We strive to do the best we can, but we don’t always succeed and that judge should have scored that round 10-9.
    “He just missed it and usually he’s spot on. But thank god it didn't affect the overall outcome of the fight.”

“Tonight is a big-time fight for those judges,” Bennett said. “It’s very easy for someone to say, ‘I scored it 3-2 this way or that way,’ but you put your butt in that chair for five minutes and when you don’t see a lot of action you’ve gotta, really always be on top of your game — but it’s even more difficult when there’s less punches being thrown.”

Whatever way you score it, I have decided not to bother going though the fight to score it. It was bad enough the first time and was a tough one to make out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Lukker- wrote: »
    Which is more than Wonderboy managed in 10 rounds.

Pressure shouldn't mean anything without output.

Wonderboy had 2 shots and failed both times. He could have taken that fight if he let his hands go at all. But he pussyfooted around.

He didn't land a single big shot last night, few spinning back kicks that's it.

You criticize Woodley but say nothing about how terrible Wonderboy and his game plan was. He approached it like a point karate fight and got punished for it.

His gameplan wasn't too exciting but it got the job done in my eyes. Woodley is a dangerous guy. If he takes you down its very tough to get up and if he lands that right hand flush it's night night.

Keeping on the outside and trying to tempt him out and counter him was a good strategy.

It's not just as simple as coming out all guns blazing vs a guy that dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

He was scared of being knocked out, thought that was pretty obvious. So his cunning plan was to stand on the fence, not throw anything and lose rounds.
    Woodley is a dangerous guy. If he takes you down its very tough to get up and if he lands that right hand flush it's night night.

LOL

So your logic is the following:

Woodley was scared of being KO'd and fought a terrible strategy.

AND

Wonderboy's strategy of not engaging was good because Woodley is a dangerous guy who can KO people.

LMAO.

So you're saying Woodley fought scared of being KO'd and therefore fought like a p.ussy BUT Wonderboy was SMART for fighting just as scared?

As for "backing someone up", what Conor did to Eddie is called backing someone up. He cut the cage, circled Eddie into his power hand and froze him to the spot and waited to counter him.

What Wonderboy did was allow Woodley to do laps of the cage, which is EXACTLY what Woodley wanted to do!!!!

Call a spade a spade - Wonderboy is an over-hyped point-karate fighter who is only effective in open Octagon space and he flat-out couldn't get Woodley out to where he is effective. He didn't hurt him once in 50 mins and got busted open repeatedly across the 2 fights.

It was the worst performance by a champion I've seen in a long time and an even worse performance by a challenger. If you want the belt, throw some punches FFS. If you want to keep the belt, throw some jabs. Do something!

They were both muck and should be embarrassed.

LOL

So your logic is the following:

Woodley was scared of being KO'd and fought a terrible strategy.

AND

Wonderboy's strategy of not engaging was good because Woodley is a dangerous guy who can KO people.

LMAO.

So you're saying Woodley fought scared of being KO'd and therefore fought like a p.ussy BUT Wonderboy was SMART for fighting just as scared?

As for "backing someone up", what Conor did to Eddie is called backing someone up. He cut the cage, circled Eddie into his power hand and froze him to the spot and waited to counter him.

What Wonderboy did was allow Woodley to do laps of the cage, which is EXACTLY what Woodley wanted to do!!!!

Call a spade a spade - Wonderboy is an over-hyped point-karate fighter who is only effective in open Octagon space and he flat-out couldn't get Woodley out to where he is effective. He didn't hurt him once in 50 mins and got busted open repeatedly across the 2 fights.

It was the worst performance by a champion I've seen in a long time and an even worse performance by a challenger. If you want the belt, throw some punches FFS. If you want to keep the belt, throw some jabs. Do something!

They were both muck and should be embarrassed.

I'm embarrassed for you writing LOL and LMAO in caps you saddo.

Woodley said himself he was cautious because he didn't want to end up knocked up. He said when he came forward he got caught a few times.

Woodley wasn't working at all, he was standing there doing nothing. He had to be careful but he should have been doing more than he did. Wonderboy was coming forward and doing enough to win rounds. Pretty simple, even Woodleys corner thought he needed a finish.

Wonderboy was backing Woodley up, that's a fact.

I'm embarrassed for you writing LOL and LMAO in caps you saddo.

Woodley said himself he was cautious because he didn't want to end up knocked up. He said when he came forward he got caught a few times.

Woodley wasn't working at all, he was standing there doing nothing. He had to be careful but he should have been doing more than he did. Wonderboy was coming forward and doing enough to win rounds. Pretty simple, even Woodleys corner thought he needed a finish.

Wonderboy was backing Woodley up, that's a fact.

Round 1 was 6 strikes to 5 strikes in favour of Wonderboy.
    Round 2 was 8 strikes to 8 strikes.

Woodley was more accurate by far (41% and 50% landed).

He clearly didn't do enough to win rounds in the eyes of the Judges.

MMA Fighting, Sherdog, ESPN, Fight Network all scored it for Woodley on their live blog. In fact of the websites running live blogs, 13 of them had it for Woodley or draw. 6 had it for Wonderboy.

There's nothing CLEAR about what Wonderboy did in Round 1 or 2 and you're having a laugh if you think 8 strikes to 8 strikes = a clear cut round.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can't believe there's any discussion around the main event. What is there to analyse? It was a complete non-event. They should've just showed EA UFC Game 'prediction' footage for the Khabib fight, would've been more enthralling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Lads ye both come across as pompous f'ers in what you're writing today.

Ruining the thread

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    Can't believe there's any discussion around the main event. What is there to analyse? It was a complete non-event. They should've just showed EA UFC Game 'prediction' footage for the Khabib fight, would've been more enthralling.

Agree 100%.

Just find it amusing some people are trying to say Woodley fought scared but Wonderboy didn't.

They bought fought like they were afraid of fighting. The crowd were chanting "fight, fight, fight" in the 5th round.

Woodley fought scared of being countered, Wonderboy of being taken down, high stakes but very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

karate was almost back last night :pac:

at least we'll never get to see these two in the octagon together again

it's an awful shame rory never got that belt when you see how he outclassed woodley and nearly everybody else he fought

woodley won't have any problems with maia imo, masvidal on the other hand
    is one I'd to love to see in the off chance he gets past maia of course

Woodley fought scared of being countered, Wonderboy of being taken down, high stakes but very disappointing.

Yeah that's it I don't know why MDWexford has a problem in saying both men fought scared. Trying to make out it was just Woodley is not what we all saw happen.

Just find it amusing some people are trying to say Woodley fought scared but Wonderboy didn't.

Thats not what im saying though, I find it amusing you keep putting words in my mouth.

Im saying Wonderboy did more than Woodley and enough to get the decision.

Thats not what im saying though, I find it amusing you keep putting words in my mouth.

Im saying Wonderboy did more than Woodley and enough to get the decision.

They were both muck we agree on that so leave it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GerryDerpy

Had the fight 3-2 to Wonderboy myself. It was a real tense chess game and you just have to accept that it can result in boring fights.

Overall I felt woodley feared wonderboy more. But woodley was in fairness the only one that landed good hits. Only one hook and one spinning kick from wonderboy stuck in my memory.

Overall a bad card from the UFC. They are really panicking with their 4 billion investment now I reckon, hence they got GSP to make a comeback.

They need a McGregor show really badly and ain't getting it this year it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

They were both muck we agree on that so leave it there.

okey-dokey-we-ll-leave-it-there-so-2.png

Woodley obviously has fears about his cardio but crys when people like Rogan talk about it, if he didnt he would've went out like he did in round 5 a lot earlier, he was walking Wonderboy down in that 5th round and eventually landed the right hand, if he implemented that earlier nobody would be moaning about the poor fight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

26EC335C00000578-0-image-m-19_1427113002417.jpg

Was more entertaining tbh that CM fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Was more entertaining tbh that CM fight.

at least we didn't have to endure 5 rounds of the punk fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,843 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

couture v toney :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

The fight was like if two soccer teams decided to stay in their own halves and pass the ball around for the whole game.

It's almost a shame someone got to win the fight as both deserved to lose. Both are equal to blame as well. The scoring is a flip of a coin for me, and I would have preferred if they actually did decide it with a coin flip rather than one of them being able to call it a win.

We've had fights like it before but after what both of these promised and the fact both felt they were hard done by in the first fight, I was actually angry watching them. I hope Maia strangles Woodley or Masvidal KOs him or GSP ground and pounds him unconscious, he is so annoying at this stage and Wonderboy is arguably worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

I'd say it was worse than Punk or Toney. It was at least entertaining to see the two of those dominated. And it was interesting to see what happens when a professional takes on a novice.

This was two lads who claim to be the best in the world, and then Woodley comes out and tells people to do it themselves if they could do better. I'd actually prefer to watch two drunks brawl on the street than watch that fight again.

Woodley will be back co maining or else on Fox/Fightpass next fight unless they can get a big name to fight him.

I'd love if they gave him Nick Diaz and Nick put a boxing clinic on him, as cruel and all as that would be to legitimate contenders

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/838195674575314944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Wow, big pay glad Tony got his number he asked for least he got 250k from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Django99 wrote: »
    This was two lads who claim to be the best in the world, and then Woodley comes out and tells people to do it themselves if they could do better. I'd actually prefer to watch two drunks brawl on the street than watch that fight again.

Not just best in the world, best welterweight of all time Woodley claims!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

26EC335C00000578-0-image-m-19_1427113002417.jpg

CM Punk might be the worst fighter of all time in the UFC. He his fight was significantly better that that last nights. 100% down to the skills of Mickey Gall of course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I thought it was common knowledge that the champ always gets the nod if the challenger didn't clearly beat him?
    Not so much common knowledge, but a myth that's constantly repeated.
    Being the champion has no bearing on the scoring, not per the rules or any official guidance. If a ref came out and said that's what he did, he should probably be removed from judging.
    By traditional thinking, round 5 was not a 10-8 as we all understand a 10-8 round to be.

But in a way I'm fully in favour of awarding Woodley a 10-8 for round 5 for the simple reason it sends a massive message out to the entire roster.

It discourages every fighter from dancing around the cage for 4 rounds knowing if their opponent lands flush and comes close to finishing you that you're facing a 10-8.
    It's not the job of the NSAC judges to "send messages" top the UFC roster. In fact, it's not only not their job, it's a conflict of interest and complete misconduct if they take it upon themselves to score it that way. The 5th wasn't a 10-8, ever imo. The fact it was more dominant than the other feeble rounds is irrelevant.

Some people will have genuinely score it for Woodley, and others for Wonderboy.
    The problem with debating the scoring the day after is that people can retrospectively score to suit either fighter. Not aiming this at Wonderlife or anyone in particular here. Just pointing out that it probably happens in razor thing fights like this.
    At the same time, anyone who says they scored it for whoever, but can't reference the scoring rounds get a big :rolleyes: ;)

Advertisement