Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 209: Woodley vs Thompson 2 Sat Mar 4th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Deadst4r

It's a statement when the fans are booing every round and booing both fighters before the judges scores are even read out. Embarrassing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Lukker- wrote: »
    In the context of the fight I'd give Woodley the 10-8 for round 5.

I think round 2 could of been a draw.

In any other fight would you score it 10-8? im not sure I think 10-9

Need to watch it back tbh although I doubt I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Gamebred wrote: »
    In any other fight would you score it 10-8? im not sure I think 10-9

No but when so little happened in the fight I feel it sets it apart. I think without even without the flurry at the end that nearly finished Wonderboy, Woodley was still winning a comfortable 10-9, but him nearly finishing could swing the 10-8.

In such a terrible fight going for the finish warrants the extra point IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What are you talking about? It was a Majority draw for Woodley the first time. Here is the wiki
    The last fight was a (majority) draw for both fighters, a draw is not "for" anyone by definition.
    The majority part just distinguishes the decision from unanimous and split draws.
    The same way a win can be unanimous, split or majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,129 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No but when so little happened in the fight I feel it sets it apart.
    It's was the most dominate round by far, but that's not grounds for a 10-8. It's an absolute scale, not a relative one.
    Relatively is way more fair, but realistically impossible to implement.

It will be impossible to get people to agree on the result as round 2 is just so flimsy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,559 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Had it 3-2 to Wonderboy (could have been some prejudice in there with the fact that I wanted him to win so bad) but really, it was the fans who lost that one. All I was thinking watching that was Maia choking the **** out of Woodley.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

Gamebred wrote: »
    Does anyone disagree with Wonderboy 1 2 4? 2 was debatable at best surely. 3 and 5 100% Woodley rds.

Honestly, I thought 3 was close. After they stood up midway through the round WB landed some of his best shots for the remaining 2.5 mins. 2 was a staring contest, should have been a draw or 10-9 WB. Don't see how one judge gave R5 a 10-8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

It just turned out to be a horrible matchup. WB is fantastic and technical but he's very cautious especially after the first fight. Woodley...throws about 5 haymakers per round and nothing more. Personally I thought WB won 3-2 or maybe had it a draw, but I wouldn't be excited to see either of these guy defend next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Just watched the card. Not bad over all. Some cracking back from the brink wins early on.

I don't know what Bektic was thinking but fair play to Elkins.

Disappointed for Hunt :(

Impressed with Taymur, controlled the distance well. He's come on a lot since that season of TUF. I read somewhere that it was 30-27 (thanks BT). I thought Lando took the first fairly easily, he probably should have went in for the kill when Taymur was in trouble.

The last fight helped get the baby to sleep. Cheers lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

I for one will not be watching Thompson v Woodley 3,there was about 2 good rounds out of the combined 2 fights.

• Advertisement

WW better when Lalwer and MacDonald were wrecking each other for that strap, never getting them 25mins back Woodley gonna be even more insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Wonderboy won that fight.

3 was not a clear Woodley round at all. 10-8 in the last round is a joke, on no planet is that a 10-8 round. Woodley backed up the whole time scared shitless. Wonderboy played it very very safe but he controlled the octagon, was more aggressive and landed more shots.

Very poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

awful stuff to watch that was

can only think of one title fight that was as boring and that was
    silva v leites

or was it as bad as I remember?

Dana said Khabib got within 6lb and got very sick, that is shocking usually only the last few lb are the hard ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,412 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

mailburner wrote: »
    awful stuff to watch that was

can only think of one title fight that was as boring and that was
    silva v leites

or was it as bad as I remember?

Silva vs Maia

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

If anyone wants a quick summary of how the Woodley vs Thompson fight went down:

pzqFsJb.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,846 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

callaway92 wrote: »
    Silva vs Maia

as least maia came to fight, leites was a disgrace
    silva was a disgrace in the maia fight

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

califano wrote: »
    Rashad is gone.
    TherapyBoy wrote: »
    ..on holidays?
    ..to make a sandwich?
    ..to use the bathroom!?

Help me out here :pac:
    Gavinz wrote: »
    Oh you fcuker. I thought you meant he'd pulled out.

My disappointment after Khabib Ferguson couldn't have coped.

A dead card even...deader.

Theres only one type of gone. Gone to the game gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

mdwexford wrote: »
    Wonderboy won that fight.

3 was not a clear Woodley round at all. 10-8 in the last round is a joke, on no planet is that a 10-8 round. Woodley backed up the whole time scared shitless. Wonderboy played it very very safe but he controlled the octagon, was more aggressive and landed more shots.

Very poor decision.

Any stats I've seen show Woodley had more strikes. What constitutes aggression? Standing in front of your opponent throwing feints? Octagon control is useless if you don't do anything with it.

I have zero problem with Woodley winning. Wonderboy tried to outpoint him again and did no significant damage. In a title fight that isn't going to sway the judges, especially when your challenger.

I had it a draw again, but thank God we don't to watch that fight again anytime soon. So disappointed Wonderboy couldn't live up to his potential, he needs a few lessons on how to fight on the lead or we are in for some more snooze fests when he comes up against counter punchers or people with good wrestling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

martyos121 wrote: »
    So none of the judges gave round 2 as a 10-10, the only reason one card was 47-47 was because Sal D'Amato gave round 5 to Woodley 10-8.

That is one massive load of bullshît.

By traditional thinking, round 5 was not a 10-8 as we all understand a 10-8 round to be.

But in a way I'm fully in favour of awarding Woodley a 10-8 for round 5 for the simple reason it sends a massive message out to the entire roster.

It discourages every fighter from dancing around the cage for 4 rounds knowing if their opponent lands flush and comes close to finishing you that you're facing a 10-8.

Woodley backed up the whole time scared shitless. Wonderboy played it very very safe but he controlled the octagon, was more aggressive and landed more shots.

Very poor decision.

For a start you're wrong. Woodley landed more shots.

Wonderboy was "more aggressive"? He threw 6 strikes in Round 1. He threw 8 strikes in Round 2.

What does "he controlled the Octagon" actually mean?

Here's the definition from the Unified Rules, section 14. G:

"Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. "

Who's controlling what? Woodley made the conscious decision to take the fence for the first 10 mins and invite Wonderboy into his world. In nearly all of his fights, Wonderboy likes to fight in the center of the Octagon and let his kicks go.

Who dictated the pace, location and position of the bout? Answer = Woodley. He kept it a slow pace, got his desired location on the fence and positioned himself so he was never herded into the center of the Octagon where he didn't want to be.

The bottom line here is over 10 full rounds, Woodley comprehensively won 4 of them and came close to finishing Wonderboy 3 times. On the other hand, Wonderboy didn't win a single round clearly in the entire 50 mins of action.

He came in promising to let his hands go, let his kicks go, let his shots go. On fight night, he did none of the above. He danced around afraid to throw anything because he was afraid of getting KO'd or put on his back and sliced open.

My sympathy levels for Wonderboy are precisely ZERO.

• Advertisement

Any stats I've seen show Woodley had more strikes. What constitutes aggression? Standing in front of your opponent throwing feints? Octagon control is useless if you don't do anything with it.

I have zero problem with Woodley winning. Wonderboy tried to outpoint him again and did no significant damage. In a title fight that isn't going to sway the judges, especially when your challenger.

I had it a draw again, but thank God we don't to watch that fight again anytime soon. So disappointed Wonderboy couldn't live up to his potential, he needs a few lessons on how to fight on the lead or we are in for some more snooze fests when he comes up against counter punchers or people with good wrestling.

Total strikes mean nothing, it's round per round. Also a lot of those Woodley strikes were during his takedown and ground and pound which helped him win round 3.

Aggression is pushing forward, throwing more strikes and yes controlling the octagon which is one of the criteria for judging fights. Especially important in a fight like this that didn't have many big moments.

Significant damage isn't needed to win fights, being the challenger should not have any impact on how the fight is scored either.

I had Wonderboy 1, 2 and 4.

It was certainly a poor fight, similar to his fight vs Rory McDonald. He seems to be a lot more wary when he's fighting top opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,674 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

but thank God we don't to watch that fight again anytime soon.

Considering how badly the crowd reacted during that fight I wonder would they even have done it a third time. In an idealised meritocracy then of course they should have to but in this new world of WME-IMG perhaps they'd have just moved on with a new challenger.

The new owners have to pay back the bloated mortgage they took out to buy the franchise and that one fact is at the root of all the decision making surrounding match-making, new divisions and cutting fighters and staff.

By traditional thinking, round 5 was not a 10-8 as we all understand a 10-8 round to be.

But in a way I'm fully in favour of awarding Woodley a 10-8 for round 5 for the simple reason it sends a massive message out to the entire roster.

It discourages every fighter from dancing around the cage for 4 rounds knowing if their opponent lands flush and comes close to finishing you that you're facing a 10-8.

Well in a way you are talking rubbish then.
    Let's give a fake 10-8 round to scare the roster, get a grip.

For a start you're wrong. Woodley landed more shots.

Wonderboy was "more aggressive"? He threw 6 strikes in Round 1. He threw 8 strikes in Round 2.

What does "he controlled the Octagon" actually mean?

Here's the definition from the Unified Rules, section 14. G:

"Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. "

Who's controlling what? Woodley made the conscious decision to take the fence for the first 10 mins and invite Wonderboy into his world. In nearly all of his fights, Wonderboy likes to fight in the center of the Octagon and let his kicks go.

Who dictated the pace, location and position of the bout? Answer = Woodley. He kept it a slow pace, got his desired location on the fence and positioned himself so he was never herded into the center of the Octagon where he didn't want to be.

The bottom line here is over 10 full rounds, Woodley comprehensively won 4 of them and came close to finishing Wonderboy 3 times. On the other hand, Wonderboy didn't win a single round clearly in the entire 50 mins of action.

He came in promising to let his hands go, let his kicks go, let his shots go. On fight night, he did none of the above. He danced around afraid to throw anything because he was afraid of getting KO'd or put on his back and sliced open.

My sympathy levels for Wonderboy are precisely ZERO.

Woodley landed most of his shots in that one takedown and ground and pound. Take that out and he barely threw a punch.

What absolute crap. Wonderboy backed him up the whole fight. Woodley made the decision because he was terrified. So because Woodley stood against the fence he dictated the location and pace of the fight. You are deluded if you actually believe that and nobody would give him credit for doing that.

Wonderboy didn't do much, but he did far more than Woodley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

What absolute crap. Wonderboy backed him up the whole fight. Woodley made the decision because he was terrified. So because Woodley stood against the fence he dictated the location and pace of the fight. You are deluded if you actually believe that and nobody would give him credit for doing that.

Wonderboy didn't do much, but he did far more than Woodley.

There wasn't a scratch on Woodley. Literally not a scratch..

Woodley was "terrified"? OF WHAT? Thompson didn't hurt him once in 50 mins of action!

And yes Woodley consciously decided to take the fence. You clearly don't watch many Woodley fights because this isn't new. He likes to take the fence in many fights and explode off it. Wonderboy likes to be in the middle of the Octagon.

Wonderboy didn't "back him up". Woodley wanted to be on the fence and got his desired position. If Wonderboy was cutting off the cage, like Conor did to Eddie, and pinning him to the cage and unloading, then fine I'd agree with you.

He didn't even cut the cage.

I find it very amusing you're trying to justify an absolute garbage performance from Wonderboy by blaming Woodley, who was the only man to actually land some decent shots in the entire fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Disappointing from wonderboy it was like he froze in there. Never went full throttle at all.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take on robbie lawlor next it would be a super fight.

woodley after all his talk didn't deliver either. I say hes praying Maia gets knocked out against Masvidal

ricero wrote: »
    Disappointing from wonderboy it was like he froze in there. Never went full throttle at all.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him take on robbie lawlor next it would be a super fight.

woodley after all his talk didn't deliver either. I say hes praying Maia gets knocked out against Masvidal

Maia fight will suit him, he will fancy himself defending Maia's takedown and is a better striker.

There wasn't a scratch on Woodley. Literally not a scratch..

Woodley was "terrified"? OF WHAT? Thompson didn't hurt him once in 50 mins of action!

And yes Woodley consciously decided to take the fence. You clearly don't watch many Woodley fights because this isn't new. He likes to take the fence in many fights and explode off it. Wonderboy likes to be in the middle of the Octagon.

Wonderboy didn't "back him up". Woodley wanted to be on the fence and got his desired position. If Wonderboy was cutting off the cage, like Conor did to Eddie, and pinning him to the cage and unloading, then fine I'd agree with you.

He didn't even cut the cage.

I find it very amusing you're trying to justify an absolute garbage performance from Wonderboy by blaming Woodley, who was the only man to actually land some decent shots in the entire fight.

He was scared of being knocked out, thought that was pretty obvious. So his cunning plan was to stand on the fence, not throw anything and lose rounds.

I've seen all Woodleys fights thanks.

Hilarious how you say Woodley got his desired position. By walking backwards and standing there. I could do that. It's not some great achievement. Wonderboy 100% backed him up whether you put it in quotation marks or not.

I'm not justifying anything. I don't care what you think. Wonderboy won the fight, end of story.

Woodley got one takedown and one flurry at the end when his corner told him he needed a finish. Other than that he fought a terrible fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

D'Amato had the right score if you're being honest but if either of them deserved the win, it was Woodley.

That sums up my feelings on it: a draw. I scored round 5 a 10-8, OK so Woodley didn't dominate from pillar to post but he was very close to stopping it. (Also I'm not sitting down with pen and paper formally scoring)

In the new rules (which were not in effect tonight due to politics - :rolleyes:) that was a 10-8 surely? Yeah the rules did not apply last night but the future of the division is at stake which will use the new rules, so I'm not crying out for Wonderboy.

When Wonderboy failed to hurt/dominate Woodley over 10 rounds it would have been hard to see him bounce around with the belt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I thought it was common knowledge that the champ always gets the nod if the challenger didn't clearly beat him? Sounds like "wonder"boy only has himself to blame. But yeah woodley not gonna be getting any more fans.

Dana White must be close to losing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

just rewatched the fight and cant see past 3-2 wonderboy...outside of one takedown and the flurry at the end woodley did nothing. Lads calling 5 a 10-8 is a joke it was barely a 10-9, without that flurry at the end it was wonderboys round. Also just been informed on twitter I only scored it for wonderboy cause I'm a racist, which is nice.

Advertisement