Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 209: Woodley vs Thompson 2 Sat Mar 4th

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mdwexford wrote: »
    I'm embarrassed for you writing LOL and LMAO in caps you saddo..

You two need to just start ignoring each other, its constant tit for tat between you both everytime. Just ignore each other if its going to be this nonsense every time or you are going to be taking a long break and that applies to both of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

Interestingly Bob Bennett from NSAC made some comments after the fight. He said the judge who gave a 10-8 got it wrong, and also that if judges do their job correctly there would never be any robberies. He basically said that there is a clear winner in every single round, even if it is razor close.

For me judging will always be subjective and there will always be mistakes. If there was a better way to decide the winner I'd love to hear it. But the way it is used at the moment, judges will always make mistakes and make the wrong person the winner on occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Django99 wrote: »
    Interestingly Bob Bennett from NSAC made some comments after the fight. He said the judge who gave a 10-8 got it wrong, and also that if judges do their job correctly there would never be any robberies. He basically said that there is a clear winner in every single round, even if it is razor close.

For me judging will always be subjective and there will always be mistakes. If there was a better way to decide the winner I'd love to hear it. But the way it is used at the moment, judges will always make mistakes and make the wrong person the winner on occasion.

Yes I posted about it here but it might have been lost in the squabbling! :D
    Did you all see the Nevada commission director Bob Bennett said this about the fight....

“If you’re a top-notch, A-plus judge, you should be able to discern through the scoring criteria who wins the fight, even if it’s razor thin,” Bennett said. “Does a 10-10 round come up? Yes, but in the three years — almost three years — that I’ve been the executive director, we have not had a 10-10 round. And I think it’s incumbent upon the judges to be on top of their game and be able to pick a winner in that round. One effective strike or kick can determine who wins a round.”

Bennett took issue with the D’Amato’s 10-8 for Woodley in the fifth, calling it “unacceptable,” since Thompson was winning the round until Woodley dropped him and did significant damage in the final minute of the fight.
    “The one judge that had it 10-8 — we went over it in the debriefing — and that 10-8 was unacceptable,” Bennett said. “Not that it would have affected the outcome of the fight, but just to share it with you. We strive to do the best we can, but we don’t always succeed and that judge should have scored that round 10-9.
    “He just missed it and usually he’s spot on. But thank god it didn't affect the overall outcome of the fight.”

“Tonight is a big-time fight for those judges,” Bennett said. “It’s very easy for someone to say, ‘I scored it 3-2 this way or that way,’ but you put your butt in that chair for five minutes and when you don’t see a lot of action you’ve gotta, really always be on top of your game — but it’s even more difficult when there’s less punches being thrown.”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭finglashoop

Woodley clearly won the round with takedown and probably the last with the flurry with 30 seconds left - although up to that point thompson may have been edging it. Not sure how you get.a 10 8.

The other three for thompson where rounds where very little happened but thompson at least looked like he was trying to do something while.doing nothing at all

Woodley must not trust his cardio and is looking for that one big flurry to end the fight as from.the start he always looks to be conserving energy and then into a flurry ( not just this fight)

He could have takenthompson down at will and probably keep him there for 5 rounds if he wnated to.

The real loser was everyone watching the fight. Thompson better pray someone beats woodley as i doubt ufc will ever sanction another fight with woodley

• Registered Users Posts: 39,038 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

“If you’re a top-notch, A-plus judge, you should be able to discern through the scoring criteria who wins the fight, even if it’s razor thin,” Bennett said. “Does a 10-10 round come up? Yes, but in the three years — almost three years — that I’ve been the executive director, we have not had a 10-10 round.
    I strongly disagree with at part tbh.
    A 10-10 round exists, it's mentioned in the rules.
    If a single strike can win a round, then had that single strike missed or been equalled then the round was a 10-10.

And he's wrong about that there hasn't been one during his tenure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Mellor wrote: »
    I strongly disagree with at part tbh.
    A 10-10 round exists, it's mentioned in the rules.
    If a single strike can win a round, then had that single strike missed or been equalled then the round was a 10-10.

And he's wrong about that there hasn't been one during his tenure.

For sure, I know NSAC haven't adopted the new MMA rules yet, but under new the judging system aren't draws going to be more common?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Think I seen somewhere no judge in Nevada has given a 10-10 in 3 years or something anyone confirm?

Gamebred wrote: »
    Think I seen somewhere no judge in Nevada has given a 10-10 in 3 years or something anyone confirm?

I can confirm that Bob is talking bollox and a judge has in fact given a 10-10 in Nevada in the last 3 years

https://twitter.com/Mellor888/status/838608272340897793

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Any chance they reschedule khabib vs tony for ufc 210 next month or is dana completly nixed that fight ?

Khabib might need a break and cant fight after May I think, wont see him till god knows now, love to see them make Nate v Tony.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ramadan 26 May - 24 June this year. Stick him on as co main with Joanna at 211. Unless his IV gives him a suspension??? Hardly?

ooh that already has 2 titles on with Miocic headlining. Feck it make it 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

26EC335C00000578-0-image-m-19_1427113002417.jpg

In fairness I have re-watched the Punk fight several times for a giggle , You could not pay me to re-watch Wonderboy v Woodley

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    Ramadan 26 May - 24 June this year. Stick him on as co main with Joanna at 211. Unless his IV gives him a suspension??? Hardly?

IV isn't banned when in the course of medical treatment. No issue there.
    If it's not 210/211 it won't happen before September/October imo - if at all that is

JoeyJJ wrote: »

IV isn't banned when in the course of medical treatment. No issue there.
    If it's not 210/211 it won't happen before September/October imo - if at all that is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I think if the Khabib/Tony fight doesn't get made in the next two months it simply won't happen and the division will again move on without Khabib being a genuine title challenger which will be a shame but if you can't make it to the fight then what else can you expect

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,029 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Another thing that intrigues me, why do people think the UFC owners are worried about their investment or going into some kind of panic?

Have they said it is a short term, get in get out with profit investment? I highly doubt that, they wouldn't have paid so much money if that were the case. If they are in it for the long haul there has been nothing to genuinely worry them, the sport continues to grow and gain popularity and is crossing over more into mainstream every week.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Another thing that intrigues me, why do people think the UFC owners are worried about their investment or going into some kind of panic?

The US Federal Reserve issued a warning to Goldman Sachs late last year for their role in the UFC acquisition. Primarily, they were reprimanded for the add-backs they did on their valuation of the UFC. In plain English they were accused by the Federal Reserve of over-estimating the future-profitability of the UFC and their existing credit-worthiness in order to attract investors.

There's $2.17 billion worth of debt to service here and selling less than 400,000 PPV's by April is not a reassuring sign for those who invested in the UFC. So, yeah it's kinda serious if 2017 is a wash-out with no Ronda, no Conor (or one Conor fight), no milestone UFC 200 type card.

They bought the UFC for long-term cross-promotion and content creation. Netflix is the single biggest buyer in WME/IMG and within a month of the purchase, Dana White's "Looking for a Fight" was suddenly on Netflix. TMZ, another mouthpiece, suddenly became the number one MMA fan chasing Joanna, Bisping, Conor, Wonderboy, Cruz for interviews and getting Dana White exclusives.

That's all great and will likely translate into more tv and film appearances for UFC fighters which (hopefully) creates more stars (and thereby sells more PPV's) but they won't be sleeping well with the piss-poor start to this year with so much leveraged-debt involved. They have plenty to genuinely worry them right now. People keep saying the UFC has up-and-down cycles. That's true. 2014 was a washout. 2015 and 2016 were great (CONOR!!).

Difference? Now they have over $2 billion of debt to service. The Fertita's didn't have any!

GSP would not be back if they weren't very concerned. Ronda, if she is even remotely interested in doing it, will be persuaded to come back. As for Conor, it's getting close to getting on knees and begging time for the UFC.

It's vitally important the UFC have a strong year as a weak year will reduce their leverage when the TV Rights come up for bidding.

TL;DR: They have many reasons to worry. It's nowhere near panic stations.... yet.

What are we estimating for this card? I'll go 210k buys, closest gets to accompany wonder on a visit to his pal Conors gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »
    What are we estimating for this card? I'll go 210k buys, closest gets to accompany wonder on a visit to his pal Conors gym.

For the record, this is the lowest Quarter for PPV buys for the UFC since 2005 according to Jed I. Goodman (numbers man on Twitter).

He also hints UFC209 likely did less than UFC208 (210k) due to Khabib falling off the card. So maybe 190k.

Jon Jones can fight in the summer though? so he will do at least 800k ish?

• Advertisement

Have they said it is a short term, get in get out with profit investment?
    Because it was a financed deal, they are accruing large costs by taking on the investment. The $4b sale included $1.825b of loans, basically a mortgage (well more like 6,000 mortgages). It was an 8 year loan, which means they repayments are over $20million per month.

That's a massive outgoing cost that didn't exist for the previous owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Jon Jones can fight in the summer though? so he will do at least 800k ish?

He's only broke 800k once against DC.

But you are probably talking 500k+ minimum PPV buys, which these days is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Jones has been a mixed bag as PPV draw, early on he was good usually hitting between 450k up to 700k in his first 5/6 PPVs but his later ones havn't been great (Cormier being the stand out lately)

OSP - 322k
    Cormier - 800k
    Glover - 350k
    Gustafsson - 310k

I'd say his return will do pretty good numbers (500k - 800k) but he usually needs a foil to sell a PPV so after that who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Fromvert wrote: »
    Jones has been a mixed bag as PPV draw, early on he was good usually hitting between 450k up to 700k in his first 5/6 PPVs but his later ones havn't been great (Cormier being the stand out lately)

OSP - 322k
    Cormier - 800k
    Glover - 350k
    Gustafsson - 310k

I'd say his return will do pretty good numbers (500k - 800k) but he usually needs a foil to sell a PPV so after that who knows.

To be fair his numbers probably not helped by the opposition he's faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

OSP - 322k
    Cormier - 800k
    Glover - 350k
    Gustafsson - 310k

To be fair his numbers probably not helped by the names he's faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

qwabercd wrote: »
    To be fair his numbers probably not helped by the opposition he's faced.

That was my point he needs a foil, he's not really a big draw on his own.
    And it's thin on the ground of potential match ups that will pull big numbers after the winner of DC/Rumble.

He will probably end up in prison soon after his return knowing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Django99

That was my point he needs a foil, he's not really a big draw on his own.
    And it's thin on the ground of potential match ups that will pull big numbers after the winner of DC/Rumble.

I'd imagine if he won that he'd move up to Heavyweight which should cause a bit
    of interest at least. I actually think we're going to see a lot more jumping in weight classes in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

All caught up on the main card now. Fun fights up until the main event which was a complete dud in both a spectacle and judging.

I was floored when they gave it to Woodley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Overeem and Hunt doing well on the disclosed pay, 750k a piece.

Advertisement