Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 209: Woodley vs Thompson 2 Sat Mar 4th

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Wonder if Khabib is regretting that tiramisu before his dinners on the countdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,275 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Only one black ring girl ever being hired by the UFC.
    Only two black female athletes in the UFC.
    Black athletes getting less push than white ones.
    Black fighters performing worse on PPV than white ones.

This all relates to Tyron Woodley's claim of endemic racism in the sport - a claim he has made repeatedly in the run up to his fight on UFC 209. I don't agree with him that it's purely racism - It's just a reality that the UFC product is aimed at white people.

You've offered fcuk all in this thread yourself.

That's all rubbish though.

Me not posting rubbish is better than you posting rubbish.
    So really I have contributed more than you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »
    Wonder if Khabib is regretting that tiramisu before his dinners on the countdown.

Have to laugh though any time a fighter misses weight. Like if Wonderboy missed weight people would be banging on about that slice of pizza...... they do have to eat something some time :pac:

mdwexford wrote: »
    That's all rubbish though.

Me not posting rubbish is better than you posting rubbish.
    So really I have contributed more than you.

I edited my post :)

Agree to disagree it's rubbish. Woodley feels the UFC and its fans have a race-problem. I fully agree with him and all the stats back it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Have to laugh though any time a fighter misses weight. Like if Wonderboy missed weight people would be banging on about that slice of pizza...... they do have to eat something some time :pac:

Yeah that was weeks ago too, he doesnt seem the type to stuff his face like Hendricks I'd say its due to him being a big 155er, love to see the divisions go 155 165 175 but it'd be a nightmare to implement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭The White Feather

I am debating whether to stay up to watch this live or not! Would definitely stay up if Khabib/Ferguson fight still on!

Whats everyone else plans?!!:confused:

Gamebred wrote: »
    Yeah that was weeks ago too, he doesnt seem the type to stuff his face like Hendricks I'd say its due to him being a big 155er, love to see the divisions go 155 165 175 but it'd be a nightmare to implement.

The easiest solution to that problem would be to just move every weight class up a NAME.

So the Lightweight Champion becomes Jose Aldo, contenders Holloway, Edgar etc. 155lbs.

Lightweight becomes Welterweight. The Welterweight Champion being Conor McGregor, with contenders Ferguson, Khabib etc. 165lbs.

Welterweight becomes Junior-Middleweight. Champion being Woodley, contenders Maia etc. 175lbs.

If you just directly transfer all the weight classes up one, it would get people a lot closer to their natural weight.

The issue then becomes preventing people cutting a lot of weight, and that'd have to be done by taking an average-walk-around weight for everyone on the roster and only allowing them to compete 10lbs either side of it.

None of that excuses the unprofessional behaviour from Khabib. He made 156lbs in November. He obviously got out of shape.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I am debating whether to stay up to watch this live or not! Would definitely stay up if Khabib/Ferguson fight still on!

Woodley/Thompson is just as appealing as Khabib/Ferguson for me (and it will be on a bit earlier now would imagine

I'd rarely stay up for a UFC event unless there are some big hitters on show and this one qualifies ........certainly always give the women's a swerve

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

sonofenoch wrote: »
    certainly always give the women's a swerve
    Jesus, don't say that.

Some lad will accuse you of being a part of the patriarchy and your sexist and no doubt racist comments are problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭The White Feather

Gavinz wrote: »
    Jesus, don't say that.
    your sexist and no doubt racist comments are problematic.

Tyron Woodley will complain about anyone like that tonight!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

None of that excuses the unprofessional behaviour from Khabib. He made 156lbs in November. He obviously got out of shape.

He looked in pretty good shape throughout camp. He's just a fairly big LW, he has said it himself he starts camp at like 200lbs and that he was contemplating moving to welterweight.

Cutting water does strange things to peoples bodies, such as kidney stones and renal failure. Silva got kidney stones from cutting like 10 lbs. RDA is around the same size as him and that guy is never out of shape and also struggled to make LW without an IV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

The UFC is no different regarding all of the above. The participation of black athletes in the UFC is terribly low (there are currently 3 black female fighters if you include Amanda Nunes as black) and white fighters sell better than black fighters on PPV.

Jon Jones had 2 PPV's do better than 700k.
    Anderson Silva had 3.

Brock had 5.
    GSP had 6.

Brock brought in the WWE fanbase.
    GSP brought in the Canadian fanbase.

Stipes buyrate for his one headlined PPV (as champ) UFC was 450k.
    Rockholds buyrate for his one headlined PPV (as champ) UFC was 320k.
    Dillashaws buyrate for his one headlined PPV (as champ) UFC was 125k.

Also, GSP and Brock competed in a time when there was less events per year. GSP stopped in 2013. Brock stopped in 2011 (came back in 2016).

UFC events in 2016: 41
    UFC events in 2015: 41
    UFC events in 2014: 46
    UFC events in 2013: 33
    UFC events in 2012: 32
    UFC events in 2011: 27
    UFC events in 2010: 24

More events = dilution of product = less stacked PPV = less spend on PPV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Lukker- wrote: »
    He looked in pretty good shape throughout camp. He's just a fairly big LW, he has said it himself he starts camp at like 200lbs and that he was contemplating moving to welterweight.

Cutting water does strange things to peoples bodies, such as kidney stones and renal failure. Silva got kidney stones from cutting like 10 lbs. RDA is around the same size as him and that guy is never out of shape and also struggled to make LW without an IV.

That's a shocking amount of weight to drop just to fight in the LW division. I think after this he'll be forced to make the jump to WW if he still wants to compete in the UFC.

He doesn't train or fight during Ramadan either for that matter, I wonder if we'll even see him back inside the Octagon during 2017.
    I'm still gutted his fight got cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Can we see the pole results for the Ferguson fight out of interest ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Had planned to have a few around and watch it - dont even know now if I'll stay up myself now. People earlier in the thread said this fight wasnt a draw, but I think every conor fan out there, even the newbs have a interest in it.

My mate in canada had a table booked for the fight for 10 in the local sports bar/restaurant - all cancelled - apparently most of the bookings for tonight did!

A lot of people wanted this card purely for Kalabeeb ferguson, its after costing them a fortune!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,848 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

anyone got any opinions of the reshad fight?

surely he hasn't declined that much that he can't beat a fighter of daniel
    kelly's calibre and he surely won't get into a brawl with kelly?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Wonderfullife stop derailing the thread with nonsense and getting into tit for tat. This is a thread about the event, keep it that way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

mailburner wrote: »

Rashad all day imo, Kelly is turning 40 this year and his best chance is to try take Rashad down and try sub him or wear him down on the ground for a decision but I dont see Rashad letting either happen and will pick him off before getting the KO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Rashad is gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

califano wrote: »
    Rashad is gone.

..on holidays?
    ..to make a sandwich?
    ..to use the bathroom!?

Help me out here :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 171 ✭✭Gavinz

califano wrote: »
    Rashad is gone.

Oh you fcuker. I thought you meant he'd pulled out.

My disappointment after Khabib Ferguson couldn't have coped.

A dead card even...deader.

<snip>
    Mod: I only warned you a few minutes ago, I am not gonna say it again.
    mailburner wrote: »

I thought he looked rough at weigh-ins so I hope he rehydrated fully. I also don't like to hear any fighter being denied a license due to a brain scan in two states and then 4 months later being deemed hunky dory to fight.

I'm a bit worried for him and think this may be the end of the road tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Was going to stay up but not sure now. 6 pack is finished and I'm in work tomorrow afternoon. Just an observation but the open workouts weigh ins etc etc seem very lack luster. It's actually boring. Conor really does bring alot to the sport and hype.

Axwell - Didn't see the warning I am on Page 9 and missed the end of page 8, sorry!

Anyone giving Teymur a shot against Lando? Could be a live underdog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

stay up to watch ferg - kibab
    no ferg kibab tigger sleep watch in morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Axwell - Didn't see the warning I am on Page 9 and missed the end of page 8, sorry!

Anyone giving Teymur a shot against Lando? Could be a live underdog.
    I picked Teymur in the UFC pick em' league.
    I don't get why people are moaning about the card just because one fight is off. There are still some great fights. I never stay up to watch it anyway, just record it and watch it in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Is there any way to fix the poll so the votes can be seen??

John_D80 wrote: »
    Is there any way to fix the poll so the votes can be seen??

Try now - I edited it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Axwell wrote: »
    Try now - I edited it there.

Gracias Senor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

That's mad. X-Factor like back story with Morales. Saw TUF in prison, changed his life, started training the day he was released.

Hope he nails "Sex is on fire".

Advertisement