Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Doris - Wednesday PM/Thursday AM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Was woken up an hour early by her. Worst winds in 3 years anyway here in the North East. It is RANK out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Burts Bee

Very windy still and was all last night in cork city. Can only imagine what east coast is like. Can hear arrivals coming in at airport. Windiest I can remember...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Cdosrun

lawred2 wrote: »
    A bit of a breeze

Great drying out all the same mind you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Power has gone here now, pish off Doris

Bloody typical, the Wind dropped just after the power went, still gusty but not as strong as earlier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Bloody typical, the Wind dropped just after the power went, still gusty but not as strong as earlier

Fair strong here in Navan in last half hour Rock
    Power out since 5am
    Dog going nuts and panels on fence blown in
    Flip off now Doris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Bins everywhere in galway, bad day for collections..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

UsBus wrote: »
    Bins everywhere in galway, bad day for collections..

Theres a big supervalue sign in half in one of our gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Gusting up to 64 knots at Dublin Airport, this event has had some major upgrades!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Not a wink of sleep with that wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Bullocks wrote: »
    In the same area , I was out for a look there and no white hills I can see anyhow . Plenty of stuff blown around though

Thanks! I am not venturing out until this eases; not when gas bottles are flying around. Getting the cat in was a minor miracle. He was distinctly rattled....

Just still ballistic

Love the sense of humour that is coming through...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Donkeygonads

brinty wrote: »
    Fair strong here in Navan in last half hour Rock
    Power out since 5am
    Dog going nuts and panels on fence blown in
    Flip off now Doris

Power out in Navan ??? ... might have a day off so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Power out in Navan ??? ... might have a day off so

Power back on now

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Silver Breeze

Dun Laoghaire Harbour: http://www.dlhweather.com/6hr-wind-graph/6hr-wind-data/

42 knots gusting 63 knots!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks! I am not venturing out until this eases; not when gas bottles are flying around. Getting the cat in was a minor miracle. He was distinctly rattled....

Just still ballistic

Love the sense of humour that is coming through...:D

Haha my cat came out for the walk around , wasnt long scooting back in again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Doctor Shivering

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Gusting up to 64 knots at Dublin Airport, this event has had some major upgrades!

To be fair,you were advised all day yesterday by gaoth Laidir (who actually flies) that the Dub TAF was going to be under estimated yet you persisted with the dozens of the 'there will be no disruption at Dublin airport'posts

The TAF was updated and even that updated TAF was wrong
    Another Met Eireann fcuk up

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RazorT

Any disruptions predicted? ☺️

RazorT wrote: »
    Any disruptions predicted? ☺️

Well, the wind is 14 knots about the forecast. If the wind had of been 50 knots I doubt there would be any disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Lady_North1

Couple of roof tiles in my garden ��
    Haven't been out to inspect the damage as yet.
    Swords, Nth Dublin

Updated Met Eireann warnings.

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Dublin, Kildare, Longford, Louth, Wexford, Wicklow, Westmeath and Meath
    Update on wind warning:
    West to northwest winds of mean winds of 65 to 80 km/h gusts up to 100 to 120km/h .
    Issued:Thursday 23 February 2017 07:11
    Valid:Thursday 23 February 2017 07:00 to Thursday 23 February 2017 12:00

STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Munster, Connacht, Carlow, Kilkenny, Laois and Offaly
    Update of warning
    Northwest winds of mean speeds of 55 to 65 km/h gusts of 100 to 110 km/h will continue through the morning
    Issued:Thursday 23 February 2017 07:06
    Valid:Thursday 23 February 2017 07:00 to Thursday 23 February 2017 12:00

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I'm still uncertain as to how Met "f*cked' it up as some have it. Orange warning in east, gusts to 120km/HR. Absolutely spot on so far. Apart from a single gust at mace where exactly is this orange warning not sufficient?

• Advertisement

I'm still uncertain as to how Met "f*cked' it up as some have it. Orange warning in east, gusts to 120km/HR. Absolutely spot on so far. Apart from a single gust at mace where exactly is this orange warning not sufficient?
    I am referring to the Met Eireann TAF which was wrong all day yesterday
    Their forecast for the midlands and west was also out

To be fair,you were advised all day yesterday by gaoth Laidir (who actually flies) that the Dub TAF was going to be under estimated yet you persisted with the dozens of the 'there will be no disruption at Dublin airport'posts

The TAF was updated and even that updated TAF was wrong
    Another Met Eireann fcuk up

I gave my opinion based on the winds forecasted by the TAF. There is no denying that this event has some major last minute upgrades. If the winds stayed as forecast I maintain there would have been no disruption. I was wrong in this case as the winds were higher than forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I wouldn't say met Eireann f*cked up - but a yellow level warning predicted here - and the Lecky is gone since about 4am, and the wind is howling - We had a red level a couple of years ago and it wasn't as bad - I guess they can't predict each area in detail but it's far worse than predicted here.

Sligo 90m ASL.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Dublin CC striking lucky with inner squall band just stalling at north Dublin. That would have made the commute that but worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Power out in co.sligo since 4am .. The worst winds I've witnessed in over 10 years here

• Registered Users Posts: 45,324 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

That was the worst in the west in a while. Wasn't expecting it that bad tbh

I gave my opinion based on the winds forecasted by the TAF. There is no denying that this event has some major last minute upgrades. If the winds stayed as forecast I maintain there would have been no disruption. I was wrong in this case as the winds were higher than forecast.

This is where experience comes in though and frankly here on the weather forum you should know,Met Eireann have been shown to have loads of form at being too conservative with wind storms
    Ergo I did think the dozens of posts saying 'there will be no disruption ' at Dublin airport yesterday from you were Ott
    It's always best to hedge
    To be fair to you , you were hedging a little bit by basing all that 'no disruption' stuff on the TAF
    But Met Eireann have made a gom of their Airport forecasts,nowcasts arent forecasts

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭redsky7

Is the worst over for Dublin?

This is where experience comes in though and frankly here on the weather forum you should know,Met Eireann have been shown to have loads of form at being too conservative with wind storms
    Ergo I did think the dozens of posts saying 'there will be no disruption ' at Dublin airport yesterday from you were Ott
    It's always best to hedge
    To be fair to you , you were hedging a little bit by basing all that 'no disruption' stuff on the TAF
    But Met Eireann have made a gom of their Airport forecasts,nowcasts arent forecasts

I have a few years experience in these, it's unusual for the TAF to be this far off. To be fair to Met Eireann, it's rare that these storms upgrade so much so close to their occurrence.

• Advertisement

I have a few years experience in these, it's unusual for the TAF to be this far off. To be fair to Met Eireann, it's rare that these storms upgrade so much so close to their occurrence.

Cough Darwin cough

Advertisement