Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Over 1m viewers could have access cut over illegal streaming"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

matchthis wrote: »
    Netflix model is the future

Netflix are focusing more and more on original content. Its the back catalogues that I'm interested in but there's lots of stuff not available on Netflix and little to no competition - from what I've read, Amazon video's launch was a damp squib.

In theory the technology is right there but studios and distributors are still using the old home video model of regional rights.

I'd like to see the ISPs challenge this hard so they could at least force the plaintiffs to release more info about how many are really "stealing" their content, what the content is and maybe the lost revenue figures could be challenged. I suspect it'll just he nodded through however

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I have SKY and another means of watching telly, I can watch watch three episodes of a show in 1080p in the time it takes one to download from SKY boxsets. In SD!!

I pay ten cents a day to a crowd that can get me any show, any movie, any webcam around the world, whenever I want it. Sky or Netflix or whoever have a few shows for as long as it suits them and they charge a fortune.

I have no problem paying a fair price for TV, but I'm fcuked if I'm gonna let them ride me.

What site is that if you don't mind me asking?

I'm aware of sites that charge for these services, but in reality all they are doing is pointing you in the direction of content that is available for free (also, illegally) elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

Just use a VPN, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Jodotman

I download everything i watch in 1080P. Can download a film in less than a minute, A tv series in 15 minutes.
    Streaming is for amatuers with stuttering and stoppping and No, I don't use virus ridden torrents.

1080P perfect streaming of every sporting fixture for a tenner a month.

Have a nice little setup on the TV for everything.

Joys of having 300 MB broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

SoulTrader wrote: »
    What site is that if you don't mind me asking?

I'm aware of sites that charge for these services, but in reality all they are doing is pointing you in the direction of content that is available for free (also, illegally) elsewhere.

It's a service that sounds like reel debris through third party add-ons on a media player that rhymes with roadie. I'm saying no more ;)

The thing is though, I'd be happy enough to pay legally for what I get illegally, but nobody provides it.

• Advertisement

Article doesn't make sense, to me at least.

Plaintiffs are asking for ISPs to block access to a few websites. Presumably, the court will either say Yes or No. I don't understand how the article can make the leap to '1.3 million face having their online access cut off'.

The plaintiffs don't have the authority to cut off the internet access of Irish people, nor have they threatened to do it, and nor have they requested that the courts do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Well they did shut down de access to de Pirated Bay and KAT, the skills they have are so great they could knock out access to all de illegal downloading and that.

It's a service that sounds like reel debris through third party add-ons on a media player that rhymes with roadie. I'm saying no more ;)

The thing is though, I'd be happy enough to pay legally for what I get illegally, but nobody provides it.

Fair enough, no worries. In fact, I'm glad you didn't say as I think it's against the old Boards charter.

I'm the same too. Football is another one that is crying out for decent quality PPV streaming. I would happily pay a tenner a game to get a good Internet feed rather than having to search online for some ad-infested crap that stops to buffer every thirty seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,209 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

And the movie business has never made as much money,my heart bleeds,every year there are movies making 500 million to a billion ..Just look at the box office takings not even for the bigger films..

Call a spade a spade,it's just more money they want ..It's impacting fcuk all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭boobycharlton

What a waste of time. It'll just be like the pirate bay blocking from years ago. Site owners will change domain or customers will use a VPN. I already use a VPN for kodi/acestream anyways so no skin off my arse.

Only one's benefitting out of this are solicitors, as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Who cares i watch shows on Watchseries to because they have shows i can't see elsewhere. I hope the courts tell them to go away and shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The 1.3 million unique user figure is rediculous , court should have asked for proof or thrown out.

Why do you think it's inaccurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

buried wrote: »
    Somebody needs to tell the Hollywood movie studios its not the internets fault why nobody is going to the cinema anymore. They're not going because what Hollywood is currently making is absolute total f**king rehashed rubbish

Chicken and egg, really.

Films are made to suit cinema going, action hero nerds these days... coz everyone else is happy enough to download a cam copy of what they like.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Jodotman wrote: »
    I download everything i watch in 1080P. Can download a film in less than a minute, A tv series in 15 minutes.
    Streaming is for amatuers with stuttering and stoppping and No, I don't use virus ridden torrents.

Yeah, clueless gombeens with a "secret app" on thier phone or kodi thinking they are great streaming "perfect quality" movies (usually CAM, TS or DVD screeners). They know a fella who'll install it for you for 200 euro!

No thanks, I'll wait a few weeks and download the 1080p DTS/Dolby 5.1 Blu-ray rip.

SoulTrader wrote: »
    Fair enough, no worries. In fact, I'm glad you didn't say as I think it's against the old Boards charter.

I'm the same too. Football is another one that is crying out for decent quality PPV streaming. I would happily pay a tenner a game to get a good Internet feed rather than having to search online for some ad-infested crap that stops to buffer every thirty seconds!
    Aye it's crazy, I had a bet on a 2bundesliga game tonight and I was keeping an eye on it through Sky sport Germany on a half decent stream in between watching something else, even though I have BT sport, but more hassle to change between TV and IPTV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yeah, clueless gombeens with a "secret app" on thier phone or kodi thinking they are great streaming "perfect quality" movies (usually CAM, TS or DVD screeners). They know a fella who'll install it for you for 200 euro!

No thanks, I'll wait a few weeks and download the 1080p DTS/Dolby 5.1 Blu-ray rip.

Frothing at the mouth there a bit, chief.

The service that rhymes with roadie is like growing spuds, any eejit can sell you the seed and plant them telling you you'll have balls of flower, but if you don't weed, tap and wall them yourself you'll end up with a ball of dung.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

The service that rhymes with roadie is like growing spuds, any eejit can sell you the seed and plant them telling you you'll have balls of flower, but if you don't weed, tap and wall them yourself you'll end up with a ball of dung.

Indeed. :confused::confused::confused:

Indeed. :confused::confused::confused:
    Anybody that has a vegetable garden or ever flirted with ham radio will know what I'm talking about :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I hope not. Netflix shows are mostly awful.

Netflix has some good stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Netflix has some good stuff
    Good. But not great. It hasn't made a show that comes even close to HBO's best creations.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

duffman13 wrote: »
    Apparently it's illegal to upload content to streaming sites or through Kodi. Downloading is illegal but streaming is not, might be only UK related but most people don't download anymore surely? If it's streaming it's an impossible job to police, websites and proxys pop up daily.
    When you stream, you still download.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,691 ✭✭✭buried

Chicken and egg, really.

Films are made to suit cinema going, action hero nerds these days... coz everyone else is happy enough to download a cam copy of what they like.

But that's exactly my point URL, the bar has been sent that low with what the major studios have been putting out the last decade and a half, the action hero, throwaway, triple x bull$hit, or the rom-com sappy throwaway bull$hit, that kind of noise only appeals to a minority, and eventually that minority audience watches it, they realise its crap, pointless and don't bother to watch the next installment.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

the_syco wrote: »

If you get your feet wet watching Mickey Jimmy Francie catch a salmon, are you a poacher?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Jayop wrote: »
    Regional restrictions will be a thing of the past.

This is the problem right there.

Regional restrictions.

Like f*ck a fan of a show is going to wait a few months for the next season while the yanks watch away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

the_syco wrote: »

Not really though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

You wouldn't steal a horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I have SKY and another means of watching telly, I can watch watch three episodes of a show in 1080p in the time it takes one to download from SKY boxsets. In SD!!.

That's not a problem with sky, more like a problem local to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

I have SKY and another means of watching telly, I can watch watch three episodes of a show in 1080p in the time it takes one to download from SKY boxsets. In SD!!

I pay ten cents a day to a crowd that can get me any show, any movie, any webcam around the world, whenever I want it. Sky or Netflix or whoever have a few shows for as long as it suits them and they charge a fortune.

I have no problem paying a fair price for TV, but I'm fcuked if I'm gonna let them ride me.

Netflix charge €10 a month for a ton of content including loads of excellent original shows.

Talking out of your rear end there.

Advertisement