Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

glas payment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

A combination of both farmers are outsiders so less important and also the next incarnation of CAP for which our own Phil Hogan will have responsibility may not be very palatable for Irish farmers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Still waiting for the glad payment myself. Poor form .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,187 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Farmer wrote: »
    I'm guessing that the farm organizations see that the Department are in a mess with this and that no amount of complaints and protests will accelerate the process. Whatever way they sort it out, be it manual payments or more IT or outsourced mapping/parcel experts, It's going to take a while

Therefore they're keeping their powder dry for some other battle, especially one that can be won.

Only a hunch though!
    Can you expand on your hypothesis cause it's flown over my head :)

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Farmer

Base price wrote: »
    Can you expand on your hypothesis cause it's flown over my head :)

Well, for example, the redrawing of the rules around ANC payments based on soil types, drainage, elevation. The different organisations naturally have somewhat different agendas which they envisage that they can progress. Therefore, better to focus on this (or whatever other issues are in the pipeline) rather than blowing a head of steam over something that obviously cannot be fixed at the moment. More useful to say less about it now and use it to bang the table next Autumn when the next Glas payments are in sight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

IMO the reason for the farming organisations silence is due to the fact that the payment is small (up to €5000 or €7000 if you are GLAS+) and generally caters for small farmers.

Agreed and another point payment f*uvk ups really started when FG came to power. But of course in that time the SFP/BPS has never been late that's a payment for big and small. It's always the small farmer schemes that get messed around.
    An awful pity the way things worked out in this country but by god I am sick to death of FG agriculture ministers and this is the longest period in the history of the state that we have had to endure them the sooner we can vote them out the better. It's true what the older generation said about Fine Gael and nothing has changed. They are no friend of the smaller farmer.
    This so called IT glitch may not be the ministers fault but by god does he seem to be doing f*uckall to fix it its obvious his political will ain't focused on it. But then why would he bend over backwards for farmers who don't vote for him??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

IMO the reason for the farming organisations silence is due to the fact that the payment is small (up to €5000 or €7000 if you are GLAS+) and generally caters for small farmers.

I think you hit the nail on the head there BP.
    What are the farming organisations' opinions on the delay in payments to us?

From what I can see, their silence is absolutely deafening in relation to GLAS. Years ago there would be a least farmers' protests regarding this issue.

Originally I stayed out of GLAS, I was in the final REPS and saw the payment cut by 20(?)% after signing up. But my margins have shrunk so much and with the way brexit is looking any money that goes in my bank ac by direct debit is welcome.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭dodo mommy

I'm still waiting on payment for the last 3 months of 2015 never mind 2016. The department is massively under staffed, the government is a shambles and no one gives a toss.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

dodo mommy wrote: »
    I'm still waiting on payment for the last 3 months of 2015 never mind 2016. The department is massively under staffed, the government is a shambles and no one gives a toss.

This is the lie that is constantly spun. Two questions:
    1. What were they doing with the GLAS files for the last 18 months plus when a lot of issues could have been dealt with?
    2. The Public Sector is rife with a 'work-to-rule' culture meaning that there is no flexibility when extra staff are required to be drafted in to deal with issues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

The public disservice is rife with inefficiency and they have the cheek to look for more money.
    Just hope that our health is never depending on them, as you know I find the whole situation an absolute scandal.
    We all up the ante when we're busy but they will never work an extra hour to catch up, everything should be private enterprise
    and throw them all out on their ear.
    A couple realated to me in the PS have just traded up their house after claiming to be underpaid for the last ten years...you couldn't write it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 sirbobby

Ah will you bloody stop, are that couple not entitled to trade up? Are they giving out about you getting a new tractor even though your supposed to be a poor farmer living of tax payers handouts!

Ya lets make everything private cause that works really well and maybe take away regulation as well, so the private sector will be even more efficient. Our private sector bankers and developers did a great job on this country.

• Advertisement

Just was this on the Journal:

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/listen-department-applying-every-resource-to-resolve-glas-delays-creed-251513

Doesn't inspire much confidence that anyone waiting will get paid before March 1st at the earliest. Looks like the Department are almost back to square one by developing another system now and we have to wait until that is completed.
    From a few days to now a few weeks.
    At this stage fella's in GLAS 3 will get paid before the 10,000 waiting on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭A cow called Daisy

Seems IFA protest in Dublin next Tuesday.
    Anyone going?
    Will it make any difference?

Will try and get going. Not sure if I'll have cheque home with me though

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Tweet from Dept just now
    #GLAS 1&2 update : Payments totalling € 4.2 million have now issued to 1164 farmers
    Party time, they must be flat out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

[quote="sirbobby;
    Ya lets make everything private cause that works really well and maybe take away regulation as well, .[/quote]

To sum of the service I've got from the dept over the last month.
    - Rang about 50 times over the xmas and up to mid January but they refused to answer the phone, left you on hold for 10 minutes on an automated message Telling you to ring back later if you like, and then hung up.
    - when eventually got through , was told ya, I can see what's wrong but cannt fix it, that another depts job
    - refused to say when the problem would be fixed
    - told to ring back again in a few weeks time

Now I know the girls at the other end of the phone are decent ordinary people, and to be honest sounded worn out from the amount of calls their getting about a broken system. but as an organisation, you cannt treat ordinary farmers scrambling to pay the bills like that. It just ain't right. How long would a business last in the private sector if they treated their customers like that ?

To sum of the service I've got from the dept over the last month.
    - Rang about 50 times over the xmas and up to mid January but they refused to answer the phone, left you on hold for 10 minutes on an automated message Telling you to ring back later if you like, and then hung up.
    - when eventually got through , was told ya, I can see what's wrong but cannt fix it, that another depts job
    - refused to say when the problem would be fixed
    - told to ring back again in a few weeks time

Now I know the girls at the other end of the phone are decent ordinary people, and to be honest sounded worn out from the amount of calls their getting about a broken system. but as an organisation, you cannt treat ordinary farmers scrambling to pay the bills like that. It just ain't right. How long would a business last in the private sector if they treated their customers like that ?

What's rubbing salt into the wound is the refusal to pay all outstanding cases at together by manual transfer. The Department seems to think we can just sit back and 'wait' for the money when they eventually have the system fixed. They don't seem to quite get it - farmers want their money now not in a few days, weeks, or months

Depends on your definition of customer, I don't think we are. At the end of the day we are kinda a step ahead of the dole here and looking for handouts.

Actually I am due money from an insurance claim and I seem to have the same issues you are experiencing on your calls. Plus still no sign of my money. Oh and the company I am dealing with seem to be doing very well.

Maybe there ain't such a difference between public and private sector as lads like yourself and rangler think. Guess it depends if you are actually a customer and what kind of customer. Cause I have to say when I was paying my premium the company were very efficient!

sirbobby wrote: »
    Depends on your definition of customer, I don't think we are. At the end of the day we are kinda a step ahead of the dole here and looking for handouts.

Actually I am due money from an insurance claim and I seem to have the same issues you are experiencing on your calls. Plus still no sign of my money. Oh and the company I am dealing with seem to be doing very well.

Maybe there ain't such a difference between public and private sector as lads like yourself and rangler think. Guess it depends if you are actually a customer and what kind of customer. Cause I have to say when I was paying my premium the company were very efficient!

GLAS is not a handout. Farmers get paid on measured actions which are delivered by incurring expenses and labour be it planners or contractors.

Its pretty much free money, LIPP sure is the business. Look, anyone that believes this is a public sector issue or IT issue needs their head examined. If it was a dairy grant or something big it would be sorted.

Its a top up for beef and suckler men to keep us in the game. Fine Gael would have it sorted otherwise. Its politics and we are the bottom of the ladder unfortunately and despite what ya may think they don't give a sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭White Clover

It just goes to show the sorry state farming is in at the moment. Farmers waiting on a cheque of of a few thousand euro to keep the show going. Talk of suckler and dairy cow payment now too which will only cause more headache.
    Tackling the cartels in place at present would be a much better approach.
    We are morphing into peasants depending on these handouts while coops and meat and grain Barron's prosper at our expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭realtec

The GLAS scheme is co-funded under Ireland’s Rural Development Programme (RDP). The state pays part, the EU the remainder. If the state fail to draw down part of the combine funded allocation, then it disappears (eg if scheme participation rates are too low). Within the Department a legacy of downturn was a dramatic cut in department staffing levels due to early retirement (retire off early your most experienced people!!) and recruitment embargo (no more hiring of staff). The result is the Department has a lot less head count. The embargo is now over but recent recruitment drives don't seem to be working...

http://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/department-staff-numbers-falling-despite-recruitment-drive/

The reason the payments are not going out is largely down to the reasons cited. The department made the scheme overly complicated (part of this was down to EU requirements) and they are largely under resourced compared to 10 years ago. So yes, it's a case that the IT system cannot cope with the requirements of the scheme. Now this is still no defence for the department, it's still comes down to the fact that you have a bunch of clowns running the show in there and things are largely done wrong.

So there no use coming up with some conspiracy that its down to FG not looking after the big farmer or the state are trying to save a few bob by delaying paying out (that might have applied a few years ago when the state was on its knees and actually had no money). I would criticise FG (and the government in general) that things are not done better within government departments in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

protest in dublin on tue

I wouldn't believe all I read. Not so sure what is so complicated about making a payment, they were able to accept these guys that haven't got a payment. Also IT systems like this would be outsourced to the private sector so they could throw resources at it if they wanted. Political will would have got this sorted but small farmers affected, so they don't give a toss. Lads might go to Dublin and annoy a few people and hold up traffic all they like. They need to act at the ballot box next time.

Yes, one thing I think people are seeing is the hiring embargo and public sector cuts are biting now through all sectors, health, education, ag etc. Who will go into a job for minimum wage pretty much to try and rent and live in Dublin with increments of a 1000 a year. To take abuse from the likes of us on the phone who can't see the real agenda. There are reasons the phones ain't getting answered.

Anyway no excuse for this payment not being made, a bloody joke. When milk price dropped in the summer Phil Hogan was advancing payments on schemes. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Iloverain

Just got the payment tonight so they might have what the problem was sorted

They paid 1164 of around 10,000 on fri evening so it says on their twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Iloverain

ganmo wrote: »
    They paid 1164 of around 10,000 on fri evening so it says on their twitter

Yea I saw that alright. I just taught when my agfood wasn't updated till tonight they might have done more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

I know this is more specific to the hen harrier designated land but just shows the audacity the department are adopting across the industry with the complete lies and 'alternative facts' they are spouting in relation to payments of various schemes.
    I also can't understand why we have and are paying the likes of the IFA & ICMSA when they are remaining tight lipped in the utter abuse that is being forced upon the average farmer waiting on this money and then small organisations such as this IFDL trying to take the fight on. Constant threat on SFP for everything we do but no penalty for them to inflict constant suffering on an entire organisation.

Iloverain wrote: »
    Yea I saw that alright. I just taught when my agfood wasn't updated till tonight they might have done more again.

They'd be singing it from the rooftops making it sound as if they paid it bang on time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Incredibly the farmers journal states that Michael creed had a good week.
    How in the name of god ? You know the one thing Trump is spot on about is the bias of agenda driven media. Can you trust any media outlets anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭adam14

The FJ is a really poor publication. I don't waste my money on it anymore.

• Advertisement

Showing up on Agfood now so should hit bank in a few days.
    I think establishment have been surprised at the level of protest generated by farmers effected by this and it has been noticable the number of TD's making statements on it.

Advertisement