Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,409 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Thargor wrote: »
    Im going to give it a try, Swiftkey changed to some neural sh1te a while back and it was never the same, seemed to stop learning from me.

Are you sure you're not using the Swiftkey Neural Alpha? It's a different app to the main one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I've moved to Gboard, early days yet but it's ok so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Fysh wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm hoping some of ye here can help point me in the right direction. I've recently switched to a Nexus 5x and am struggling with some of the customisation.

First - sound profiles. I see a lot of apps that use GPS or network location as triggers for setting profiles, but that's not what I want. I'm looking for 2 things:
    1) The ability to control all volume settings within one app, and create profiles with these settings, and
    2) The ability to schedule changes at specific times to particular profiles.

So e.g. I want to be able to set a schedule where, Monday to Friday at 8:45, a quiet profile kicks in.

I've toyed with Llama, which can sort of do some of what I want, but it seems imperfect as the way I'm using it is kind of working around its intended function?

Secondly - notification sounds. I'm baffled at the inconsistency of notification sound handling. Some apps let you set whatever sound you like, others only let you choose from their sounds, and others still let you choose either your default notification sound or their set of sounds.

What I want is a way to forcibly assign each app its own notification sound, so that I can know from the notification which app is triggering it. I don't mind paying for an app to do this, but I'd prefer to buy something that's recommended.

Any suggestions?

Automateit is great
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=AutomateIt.mainPackage

Try the free one first but it's always the first app i install.
    Much easier than Tasker but almost as powerful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Patww79 wrote: »

Saw this yesterday and installed Brave browser out of the list, its great, Chrome with built-in ad block basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

Bought Swipe for Facebook for 1.50 as its on special and loving it :cool:

Yeah they did, theres about 5 different options for messages

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Saw this yesterday and installed Brave browser out of the list, its great, Chrome with built-in ad block basically.

Shame the account/bookmark sync option isnt there(yet?)

jeffk wrote: »
    Shame the account/bookmark sync option isnt there(yet?)

Ya, iv all my passwords in Chrome, 90% of my mobile browsing is boards though so im mostly grand after signing in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I installed Brave, but even after logging into Boards the layout is completely different to the touch site in Chrome. I also don't get the option to switch to the full site, to see if I could switch back. Has this happened to anyone else?

SuprSi wrote: »
    I installed Brave, but even after logging into Boards the layout is completely different to the touch site in Chrome. I also don't get the option to switch to the full site, to see if I could switch back. Has this happened to anyone else?

My layout on the touch site is exactly as it should be and there's the full site link at the very bottom. Odd!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It was loading the newer desktop site and I couldn't find an option to change too the touch site. I had to change to the legacy desktop site and use the option at the bottom of the page to switch to touch. Panic over ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Installed brave just there.. Love it
    I was forever pressing the adds here by mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭DopeTech

smilerf wrote: »
    Installed brave just there.. Love it
    I was forever pressing the adds here by mistake

If only you could hide the brave icon beside the address bar. It would be much better suited in the menu dropdown in my opinion. Apart from that though I love it. One of the main reasons I root my phones is for adblocker but since android pay was launched I can't use it if rooted. This gives me the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

FrostyJim wrote: »
    If only you could hide the brave icon beside the address bar. It would be much better suited in the menu dropdown in my opinion. Apart from that though I love it. One of the main reasons I root my phones is for adblocker but since android pay was launched I can't use it if rooted. This gives me the best of both worlds.

If Brave doesn't work out for you, you can use firefox on android as it works with all the add-ons the desktop version does. E.G. you can load up ad block extension like uBlock Origin and have full desktop sync with your other devices and desktop computers ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Gboard would want to start learning and improving fast or Im going back to Swiftkey, its actually shockingly bad.

Another annoying thing about it is that for some text fields like a search in Google Now it turns off its suggestions and its just a standard keyboard, I cant find a way to tell it to always be suggesting words to me.

Gboard would want to start learning and improving fast or Im going back to Swiftkey, its actually shockingly bad.

Another annoying thing about it is that for some text fields like a search in Google Now it turns off its suggestions and its just a standard keyboard, I cant find a way to tell it to always be suggesting words to me.

And search in Chrome, instant uninstall there a couple of weeks ago. SwiftKey is still the best imo.

dulpit wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not using the Swiftkey Neural Alpha? It's a different app to the main one?
    Doh, back to Swiftkey I go :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone with brave browser know if it's possible to sync favourites from chrome or even import them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

Anyone with brave browser know if it's possible to sync favourites from chrome or even import them
    not that I can see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Can you import them as a html file?

Going to give this browser a go, looks identical to chrome to me but with ad block, or am I looking at something else?

jozi wrote: »
    Can you import them as a html file?

Going to give this browser a go, looks identical to chrome to me but with ad block, or am I looking at something else?

It is chrome, or a modified build of it more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

I just jump from chrome to brave, copying and pasting URLs as I go, turn bookmarking them.

I found it relatively painless.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,078 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Limbo, from Playdead is a great game, seems to be €0.50 at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

I just jump from chrome to brave, copying and pasting URLs as I go, turn bookmarking them.

I found it relatively painless.

You must have very few bookmarks, my chrome has hundreds in separate folders. There must be some way to sync

Why do you need hundreds of bookmarks?

You must have very few bookmarks, my chrome has hundreds in separate folders. There must be some way to sync

You are the electronic equivalent of a hoarder lol.
    I know where you are coming from though, if only there was an industry standard for bookmarks allowing them to be copied between any browser. I might only have a dozen or so bookmarks but more importantly for me, chrome remembers dozens of passwords for me across PC, Tablet and phone. That's not so easy to copy across as I would end up having to reset dozens of passwords. (I could have used a separate password manager - I know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Why do you need hundreds of bookmarks?

See an article you want to read but don;t have time right now. Bookmark it and get back to it later. Never end up getting back to it and accumulate massive amounts of bookmarks.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement