Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Can anyone recommend a decent calendar app /widget? I'm using Google Calendar but for repeat events, I only get email notification, no alarm. However for one off events I get both. Strange but must be a glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

toby2111 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a decent calendar app /widget? I'm using Google Calendar but for repeat events, I only get email notification, no alarm. However for one off events I get both. Strange but must be a glitch.

I have been using Agenda widget for years & its very good. Takes a while to set up because its so customisable.

http://www.androidagendawidget.com/

Been using business calendar pro for years, think it's called business calendar 2 now. I live my life by my diary and it's the best I've found. Loads of customisation, and the ability to drag and drop for repeat appointments. I love it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appgenix.bizcal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.withouthat.acalendar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Biz calender pro would be my recommendation.

But looking at acalender above it looks pretty good maybe better than biz calender pro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Google's Trusted Contacts app has been released today.

Treading a fine line between extremely useful and extremely creepy, I can see it being misused in abusive or mistrusting relationships.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.emergencyassist
    Trusted Contacts is a personal safety app that opens a direct line of sharing between you and your loved ones.

• Add your closest friends and family as trusted contacts
    • Allow trusted contacts to request your location. If everything’s fine, you can deny the request, but if you’re unable to respond your location is shared automatically (works even if you’re offline or your phone is out of battery)
    • Proactively share your location if you feel unsafe or find yourself in an emergency
    • Your trusted contacts can see your phone’s activity status to quickly know you’re OK

Whether you’re online or offline, in an emergency or just need reassurance, Trusted Contacts connects you with the people you care about most at the times you need them most.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Mr E wrote: »
    Google's Trusted Contacts app has been released today.

Treading a fine line between extremely useful and extremely creepy, I can see it being misused in abusive or mistrusting relationships.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.emergencyassist

sweet jesus thats a stalker dream.

i can see it being useful in a natural disater or terrorist attack but the network going to be down in situations like that . leading to undue worrying on people behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

In retrospect, I can see how parents might appreciate something like this...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Mr E wrote: »
    In retrospect, I can see how parents might appreciate something like this...

My 13 year old doesn't mind it on her phone and it gives me peace of mind if it works. I have cerberus too though, this is mainly so she can hit the send location button if she's bothered by something

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    It'll be handy for the Mrs to know I'm still on a site or if I'm on the way home of an evening. Most places I can't use my phone to reply.

Not religious but am really praying hard that my wife doesn't hear about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Not religious but am really praying hard that my wife doesn't hear about this!

Don't worry, there's an app for those occasions!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=es.excellentapps.fakegpsgo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

hitman sniper is only 50c .

no idea if its any good but i'll give it a shot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Netflix VR is now released.
    Compatible with daydream VR phones.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/netflix-inc/netflix-vr/

App launches on S7 (non-daydream phone) but I can't control it with the crappy little remote I have.

You may need to install Google VR services too.

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-vr-services/google-vr-services-1-0-139649377-release/#downloads

Let me know if you get it working on a non-daydream phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

My 13 year old doesn't mind it on her phone and it gives me peace of mind if it works. I have cerberus too though, this is mainly so she can hit the send location button if she's bothered by something

Do you find it accurate, I'd imagine if it was inaccurate it could be giving parents all over the place heart attacks. I haven't used it yet myself but used Cerberus when it was free and I often logged in to find it was locating my phone some distance from where I actually was.

AirDroid has died after the security update. Anyone know of a good alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Do you find it accurate, I'd imagine if it was inaccurate it could be giving parents all over the place heart attacks. I haven't used it yet myself but used Cerberus when it was free and I often logged in to find it was locating my phone some distance from where I actually was.

It's been within couple of hundred metres or better the few times I've tested it. Not as accurate as Google maps is though weirdly, no idea why that might be.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hi folks, I'm hoping some of ye here can help point me in the right direction. I've recently switched to a Nexus 5x and am struggling with some of the customisation.

First - sound profiles. I see a lot of apps that use GPS or network location as triggers for setting profiles, but that's not what I want. I'm looking for 2 things:
    1) The ability to control all volume settings within one app, and create profiles with these settings, and
    2) The ability to schedule changes at specific times to particular profiles.

So e.g. I want to be able to set a schedule where, Monday to Friday at 8:45, a quiet profile kicks in.

I've toyed with Llama, which can sort of do some of what I want, but it seems imperfect as the way I'm using it is kind of working around its intended function?

Secondly - notification sounds. I'm baffled at the inconsistency of notification sound handling. Some apps let you set whatever sound you like, others only let you choose from their sounds, and others still let you choose either your default notification sound or their set of sounds.

What I want is a way to forcibly assign each app its own notification sound, so that I can know from the notification which app is triggering it. I don't mind paying for an app to do this, but I'd prefer to buy something that's recommended.

Any suggestions?

Fysh wrote: »
    Hi folks, I'm hoping some of ye here can help point me in the right direction. I've recently switched to a Nexus 5x and am struggling with some of the customisation.

First - sound profiles. I see a lot of apps that use GPS or network location as triggers for setting profiles, but that's not what I want. I'm looking for 2 things:
    1) The ability to control all volume settings within one app, and create profiles with these settings, and

So e.g. I want to be able to set a schedule where, Monday to Friday at 8:45, a quiet profile kicks in.

I've toyed with Llama, which can sort of do some of what I want, but it seems imperfect as the way I'm using it is kind of working around its intended function?

Secondly - notification sounds. I'm baffled at the inconsistency of notification sound handling. Some apps let you set whatever sound you like, others only let you choose from their sounds, and others still let you choose either your default notification sound or their set of sounds.

What I want is a way to forcibly assign each app its own notification sound, so that I can know from the notification which app is triggering it. I don't mind paying for an app to do this, but I'd prefer to buy something that's recommended.

Any suggestions?

I use Lightflow for notifications & Smart Sound Profiles for volume on my Nexus 5.

Both work faultlessly.

Fysh wrote: »

Any suggestions?

Automatic profile rules should be part of stock Android.

Settings > sound > Do not disturb > Automatic rules

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Basil3 wrote: »
    Automatic profile rules should be part of stock Android.

Settings > sound > Do not disturb > Automatic rules

I've played around with this a bit, but the rules I can set in stock Android aren't granular enough - that controls notification sounds but not media volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Tasker should do what you want but it's not free and there's a bit of a learning curve. Well worth it tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Tried them all and found this to be the best

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wakdev.droidautomation.free&hl=en

I have
    Silent at night
    Normal in Morning
    Then launch photos when charging(wont upload in the background for some strange reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Patww79 wrote: »
    Gboard, the Google keyboard from iOS, is finally released on Android. It'll replace Google Keyboard in the Play Store. Not showing for me yet but apkmirror have it.

Anyone having any issues with this so far? I find it extremely inaccurate and I'm getting a lot of swipes that fail to produce text.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Anyone having any issues with this so far? I find it extremely inaccurate and I'm getting a lot of swipes that fail to produce text.

The same here, predictive was on a par with swiftkey and no real issues.

Now its random a lot of the time and like you said swipes doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im going to give it a try, Swiftkey changed to some neural sh1te a while back and it was never the same, seemed to stop learning from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Yep same here. Does it have to relearn your words?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement