Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

daithi7 wrote: »
    I think I I've made a breakthrough recently. I was closing the face hugely at impact, about 7,deg left, and I also greatly reduce loft in my dynamic loft presentation (by up to 10deg on fairway woods and hybrids... Yuck!!) This results in a lower than optimal, piercing, right to left ball flight, which can be hard to control at times.

Anyway I've weakened my grip (both left and especially right hand) recently and it seems to have really helped get my irons flying straighter and with a higher loft. Last night I played a 4ball in the wind and rain and hit 3 out of 3 par 3s, 1 with a hybrid, and played as well as I ever have from tee to green, so that is very, very encouraging..... :)

The only slight issue with my new grip /swing is that I'm prone to the very odd big push/slice with the driver which I never had before. So much so, that I'm actually considering using my older stronger grip for my driver off the tee, and using the weaker, higher lofting, straighter grip for all other shots.....which isnt idéal but if it works I'll use it...... I'm noir proud....It's All a bit of a work in progress at the moment!! :)

As a matter of interest, does anyone else use a slightly different grip for their driver versus their irons??? And how does this work for you if you do!!?
    While changing your grip may have short term positive effects, long term it won't last. Ideally you should aim to keep the game simple, so you'd end up with the same grip, stance and ball position for every shot, that way you have less to check or think about when playing and you can fully concentrate on the target and execute the shot to the best of your ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

While changing your grip may have short term positive effects, long term it won't last. Ideally you should aim to keep the game simple, so you'd end up with the same grip, stance and ball position for every shot, that way you have less to check or think about when playing and you can fully concentrate on the target and execute the shot to the best of your ability.

Why won't it last? Surely a grip change fundamentally effects the angle of the clubface at impact, as well as how much your hands rolll over thru impact, etc, etc?? Do you think these effects will wear off, or something???

Also, ' the same ball position for every shot....' really!?!

I thought it was best practice to have the driver ball position opposite the left heel, with the ball position for higher lofted clubs moving progressively towards the centre of the stance as the club loft used increases, with say a PW, having a ball position around mid stance. Do you not agree with this accepted best practice?!?

Why won't it last? Surely a grip change fundamentally effects the angle of the clubface at impact, as well as how much your hands rolll over thru impact, etc, etc?? Do you think these effects will wear off, or something???

Also, ' the same ball position for every shot....' really!?!

I thought it was best practice to have the driver ball position opposite the left heel, with the ball position for higher lofted clubs moving progressively towards the centre of the stance as the club loft used increases, with say a PW, having a ball position around mid stance. Do you not agree with this accepted best practice?!?
    Changing one aspect of your fundamentals in isolation is never a good thing unless all other aspects of the setup and swing are sound.

The greatest player ever to play the game advocates a one ball position here, but hey if you know better than Jack Nicklaus, I bow to your superior knowledge;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

I think I I've made a breakthrough recently. I was closing the face hugely at impact, about 7,deg left, and I also greatly reduce loft in my dynamic loft presentation (by up to 10deg on fairway woods and hybrids... Yuck!!) This results in a lower than optimal, piercing, right to left ball flight, which can be hard to control at times.

Anyway I've weakened my grip (both left and especially right hand) recently and it seems to have really helped get my irons flying straighter and with a higher loft. Last night I played a 4ball in the wind and rain and hit 3 out of 3 par 3s, 1 with a hybrid, and played as well as I ever have from tee to green, so that is very, very encouraging..... :)

The only slight issue with my new grip /swing is that I'm prone to the very odd big push/slice with the driver which I never had before. So much so, that I'm actually considering using my older stronger grip for my driver off the tee, and using the weaker, higher lofting, straighter grip for all other shots.....which isnt idéal but if it works I'll use it...... I'm noir proud....It's All a bit of a work in progress at the moment!! :)

As a matter of interest, does anyone else use a slightly different grip for their driver versus their irons??? And how does this work for you if you do!!?

What's 'dynamic loft presentation?'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

My game is good overall but I have massive scope ft improvement in putting and chipping/pitching

Coming in regularly +9/10/11 but having between 36 and 40 putts a round. Green side means not getting close enough for a tap in.

How do you guys work on your short game during the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Just back after a horrendous mornings golf. Gale force winds and driving rain. Didn't play well but I never do in the wind so I didn't have high expectations.

Changing one aspect of your fundamentals in isolation is never a good thing unless all other aspects of the setup and swing are sound.

The greatest player ever to play the game advocates a one ball , but hey if you know better than Jack Nicklaus, I bow to your superior knowledge;).

I've been playing golf for 20+ years and am athletic and like ball sports, so most other aspects of my set up and swing are pretty sound.
    Changing a grip should imho give permanent changes to things like angle of attack and dynamic loft which is what I'm trying to adjust.

With regards to having the same ball position for every shot : :)))))

Have a look at the attacked photos and tell me do you notice a difference with Tiger's ball position from driver to PW!?

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Ben1977 wrote: »
    So I haven't posted in a while on this thread or How did you score thread. I'm just about to reach the top limit of my handicap rise. 8 * 0.1s on the bounce. I've had a couple of lessons on the areas I so dearly needed, chipping and pitching. That area has improved but my control with irons and woods have gone out the window.
    I've a huge over swing which puts everything out of balance causing pull draws and big pushes. My body can move all over the place. Came across so YouTube vids from Rich Shiels who is a pro in the UK. He actually has the same faults but it's nice to see his process during practice and lessons. So work to do, but for now I need to try and enjoy the game again without the pressure of HC. The timing of the boards outing this weekend is perfect. No pressure just a walk with pals, who are golf nuts.

So had another lesson during the week. My misses where a big push or a pull hook. It's hard when you aim down the middle and you can be 30yds left or right of were you want to be, and it's a lottery which side it goes.
    Straight away the pro said your alignments way off. I had my body aligned at the target and club right of it. Long story short, I hit 36pts for the first time this week. Amazing how if we are left to fix out own swing we can actually do more damage. Booked in again, have to keep on top of this

While changing your grip may have short term positive effects, long term it won't last. ....

FYI (& my future reference) , Mark Crossfield's videos on how changing your grip to a correct one changes your swing.....permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsMjp2MBO50&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC2mi9X0R3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

My round on Sunday got destroyed by a handful of bad iron shots resulting in lost balls, the shots were bladed and hugely sliced, all with long irons. Ended up with an incredibly disappointing 29 points.

Went for a lesson last night to try rectify it. Got a couple of things to work on and if I can do them all in a given swing the results tend to be quite good. I'm swaying way too much, I'm gaining height in the backswing and I was putting way too much weight on my left in my backswing.

So they're the three things I need to work on - initiating my swing with a turn rather than a sway, staying down through the stroke, and shifting my weight to the right and then left through the stroke. Driving range beckons.

• Advertisement

FYI (& my future reference) , Mark Crossfield's videos on how changing your grip to a correct one changes your swing.....permanently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsMjp2MBO50&feature=youtube_gdata_player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC2mi9X0R3s&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure what point you're trying to make, but if it's working for you, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So I got out for 9 holes on Sunday and 9 holes on Monday and had 22 points both times. I haven't actually beaten 36 points in a competition this summer so it has to be a fluke, but I can't wait to get out on Saturday now. The main difference between those rounds and my previous rounds is the bad shots weren't nearly as destructive as they have been previously, a mis-hit was going straight and staying in play rather than flying off 30 yards right and ending up in a bush. I guess we'll see where we are after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Small signs of an improvement last few times out.

This is an improvement from a fairly low base.

But 2 days ago played 14 holes in 1 over and haven't seen that in a while.

Wedges still poor - but trying to improve tempo on them. Driving seems to be coming back into play with that duck hook 1 in about 8 only.

Have made a few putts too.

Played Corballis today - met up with a lad and played a few holes - great conversation with a lad who has had a tough 5 years. And we just knocked the ball round. Hardly thinking about score - had an embarrassing 8 on 4 - but after that was 1 over for the next 9. Had my best par of the year on 12 - when knocked one OB and parred the hole with an eagle on 2nd ball. That was nice.

Anyway , confidence slightly on the way back after a nightmare in every way the last 3 months.

Tomorrow I'm in a qualifying competition - would love to get above 30 pts and a buffer would be class.

But - the improvements are very slow and small - but a bit of hope there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    So not playing as much as I'd like this year and not a whole lot of comps.
    Played the ACC and played pretty well overall.

Came back and managed 37 pts in Castlemartyr, CSS was 38 of course :rolleyes:

So still without a cut all year.

Played Int. Scratch cup in Ballyneety w/e just gone and despite some dodgy moments I held it together well. Putting was very solid and driving mainly very good as well.
    Had a double on 6 when I airmailed the green with a shot I hit "too well" :D
    But managed to steady the ship with 4 pars in a row after that.
    Another double on 11 was followed by a bogey but then a bird, a sand save par and another par.
    So anyway finished with 40/40 for 80 (+9) and a third place finish which i was delighted with.
    Should be back down to 11 since first comp of the year.

Typically I will now not touch a club for 3 weeks due to a family holiday which means bye-bye momentum :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, hoping for one last push when I get back to try and get to 10 maybe and my lowest ever.

So I managed to fit in another open singles before my holidays started and managed to finish 4th in Kinsale and another cut. So made it down to 11.0 and my lowest ever.

Started dreaming of 10 before season was over. (And maybe even lower :D )

Of course such thoughts never go unpunished by the golfing gods. That hubris coupled with 3 weeks without touching a club lead to a lot of rubbish golf on my return. .1s followed so back out to 12 now :(

So basically couldn't hit the ball out of my way to start, then started to get something going but regular blow-ups ruined my better golf.

So was looking like an ignominious end to the year for me but in the last couple of weeks a chink of light. And then last night.....

+2 on the front. +4 on the back with a double in the dark on 18.
    +6 for 42 pts. 2 birds, 10 pars, 4 bogeys, 2 doubles
    Casual round of course !!

Too little too late as usual :( :rolleyes: :D

Felt great to hit the ball well again. Probably my best ever putting display as well. This game, this game :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have to put in some practice. At the moment I'm coaxing the ball around rather than swinging freely and striking the ball well. I've been playing all year without checking on myself and 'things' are starting to creep back in. Mostly bad setup. Misaligning to the right is a reoccurring theme with me. Too far back in my stance is another. The stuff that sneaks up on you millimetre by millimetre over time without you noticing until its gone so bad you can't hit a proper shot anymore.

So my game needs a little maintenance, but even with crappyish ball striking I can play more or less to my handicap which means overall I must have improved.

So had another lesson and the pro is now happy with my setup. It only took 3 lessons :). So have been working hard over the last couple of months to improve. My scoring has been very poor as I've been getting use to the setup. No consistency with strike yet but the good shots are great and the poor ones not so bad anymore. It will be a long road over the winter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Ben1977 wrote: »
    So had another lesson and the pro is now happy with my setup. It only took 3 lessons :). So have been working hard over the last couple of months to improve. My scoring has been very poor as I've been getting use to the setup. No consistency with strike yet but the good shots are great and the poor ones not so bad anymore. It will be a long road over the winter.

Winter? You have until Saturday week to get it right!!!:D

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Winter? You have until Saturday week to get it right!!!:D

It's ok, I have a partner to carry me

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Game is in decent shape at the moment apart from my wedges, especially my sand wedge, been really poor with it the last few months.

One shot in particular is killing me. It's when my approach shot comes up 5 metres short of the front edge of the green with the flag at the front of the green maybe 4 metres from front edge.

In the summer I was getting away with putting this. However it's a lot riskier this time of year. Chip and run isn't an option either. Can't really get any check on my wedges either which doesn't help. It should be a very straightforward shot but it hasn't been for me.

What shot do you play in this scenario?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Game is in decent shape at the moment apart from my wedges, especially my sand wedge, been really poor with it the last few months.

One shot in particular is killing me. It's when my approach shot comes up 5 metres short of the front edge of the green with the flag at the front of the green maybe 4 metres from front edge.

In the summer I was getting away with putting this. However it's a lot riskier this time of year. Chip and run isn't an option either. Can't really get any check on my wedges either which doesn't help. It should be a very straightforward shot but it hasn't been for me.

Why not bump and run a 7 or 8 iron?

• Advertisement

Why not bump and run a 7 or 8 iron?

I'd use that shot if the flag is in the middle or back of the green but it's tricky with the flag at the front.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd use that shot if the flag is in the middle or back of the green but it's tricky with the flag at the front.

It's a tricky shot so there's no easy trick. I'd probably use my PW but it depends on what's in between the green and the ball and how long the grass is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

6 iron, grip lower hand on bare metal and putt as normal, do not try and chip/run it, putt as normal

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

I haven't posted here for a time so I will now.

Been working primarily on the weakest part of my game since the summer. Second shots. Long irons off deck. Struggled for the 4 years I'm playing golf with this. A good short game hid the effects well. Went to about 4 pros and while all helped with some aspect none could really cure an over the top weak heely strike.

Until I started with my current coach in May this year. He's made all the difference. Striped back all my basics and I'm moving in the right direction. Swing is exactly where I need it to me to get me to my next goal of 5. Keep working hard over the winter and next year should be groovy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

the lawman wrote: »
    I haven't posted here for a time so I will now.

Been working primarily on the weakest part of my game since the summer. Second shots. Long irons off deck. Struggled for the 4 years I'm playing golf with this. A good short game hid the effects well. Went to about 4 pros and while all helped with some aspect none could really cure an over the top weak heely strike.

Until I started with my current coach in May this year. He's made all the difference. Striped back all my basics and I'm moving in the right direction. Swing is exactly where I need it to me to get me to my next goal of 5. Keep working hard over the winter and next year should be groovy.

Hi Lawman do you mind me asking who was the current pro that made the difference? PM if needs be.. but also had a similar experience myself regards Pro's, but we also have worked with the same pro in the past.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭the lawman

No problem benny.

It's Gavin Lunny out of Naas GC. You won't go wrong with this guy.

the lawman wrote: »
    No problem benny.

It's Gavin Lunny out of Naas GC. You won't go wrong with this guy.

Ha.. I have worked with him in the past.. Didnt find him that good to be honest, but obviously what works for some mighten work for others.. It really is hit and miss when it comes to Pro's.. thankfully I have found one now... That has really brought my game on.. But a lot of people have given him high praise so best of luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,823 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

benny79 wrote: »
    Ha.. I have worked with him in the past.. Didnt find him that good to be honest, but obviously what works for some mighten work for others.. It really is hit and miss when it comes to Pro's.. thankfully I have found one now... That has really brought my game on.. But a lot of people have given him high praise so best of luck!!

How many pros have you had benny ?

Joke here - but could it be you :D

Around 9 or 10.. ha.. I know its ridiculous.. but my Handicap has never come down.. They all added something some were good, some brutal.. some in 1 day clinics..

The chap Im with now is very good (For my game) anyway. His main point to me on the first time of meeting, his words "If my hc doesnt come down he's not doing his job properly" Yes that is the aim of all Pro's but he's the only one that actually came out and said it.. plus I have seen vast improvements since working with him.. ;)

• Advertisement

benny79 wrote: »
    Around 9 or 10.. ha.. I know its ridiculous.. but my Handicap has never come down.. They all added something some were good, some brutal.. some in 1 day clinics..

The chap Im with now is very good (For my game) anyway. His main point to me on the first time of meeting, his words "If my hc doesnt come down he's not doing his job properly" Yes that is the aim of all Pro's but he's the only one that actually came out and said it.. plus I have seen vast improvements since working with him.. ;)

Not sure if it's up to the Pro to bring your handicap down.
    He can only give you guidance and some help in the half hour lessons, ultimately its up to yourself to get your handicap down and how much you practice the advice he gives you which will determine the outcome. Although you've had 3 times more pro's than I've had lessons so maybe you're better qualified to answer that one :)

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement