Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

obviously..

but trust me I have put in some work with previously Pro's with little results. The Pro Im with now I haven't really put in that much work to be honest but am see big improvements.. Could be a combination of everything Ive learned over the years maybe who knows.. all I know is its working :) and I'm enjoying my golf much more.. He's basically just got me more consistent and my bad shots are not as bad and explained my bad shots so I know what im doing wrong etc which has been massive to me.. Suppose the test will be this season coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Festinalente

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Game is in decent shape at the moment apart from my wedges, especially my sand wedge, been really poor with it the last few months.

One shot in particular is killing me. It's when my approach shot comes up 5 metres short of the front edge of the green with the flag at the front of the green maybe 4 metres from front edge.

In the summer I was getting away with putting this. However it's a lot riskier this time of year. Chip and run isn't an option either. Can't really get any check on my wedges either which doesn't help. It should be a very straightforward shot but it hasn't been for me.

What shot do you play in this scenario?

A little putting action with a pitching wedge - toe down heel up and face slightly closed to target can be a very reliable go-to shot but if you feel you have to throw it up in the air this butch Harmon video is very good

https://youtu.be/Cm0Gc2rTHVg

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Great weather over the hols played the Curragh on weds and Corballis for the 1st time yesterday, its really is a true gem and i am going to try and play it again as soon as possible, My golf was not bad either, 37 pts off 10 got a little of .4 cut to round off the year nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Played Friday open in Murvagh 2 weeks before Christmas, was a perfect day for golf, very little wind and the sun was out. Playing steady/well until the 8th when a huge rain shower passed over, took cover and it was over in a minute, it was a par 5 and I'd just hit my third to 6ft. Walking toward the green there was a steep slope, started walking down it when both feet just left me on the very soft ground, landed square on my back with a thud, completely winded me and I knew I'd hurt my back too.
    Hoping it would losen out, i finished out the hole, on the 9th I managed to tee off, with a 2/3rds swing, but knew that was it for me. Finished out the hole by taking a 5i from 130yard, shook the hands of my playing partners, they knew I was bucked. (had 19pts for them 9 holes, including a blank, off 9).
    Back hasn't been right since and I'm booked in to play tomorrow and Monday, my first time back, I think it will be OK, but my comeback could last 1 hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Not great at the minute.

My usual case of half shanks has arisen again but I'm nearly out of them I think.

Lesson booked for next Saturday , first one in a few years so excited to see how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Not too bad. A lot better than last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Just joined a club, yet to get out with a member to get my cards signed but not in a rush so to speak. Im playing a lot better in certain aspects, but really incosistent, my drives are killing me. Nearly every single drive im slicing, heading to vegas in two weeks so going to get a couple lessons when im home to try sort it out.

Had my lesson this morning.

Posture and grip good.

Ball position moved forward with irons and my right foot straightened/squared with clubface ( tended to be pointing right a bit)

Working on getting right through so that my belt is pointing at target and getting on my toes with my back foot at the end of the follow through. This is the reason for the pulls I've been having lately.

And my balance (heel and toes) is causing the shank every now and then.

Played 18 after to try and get some more work on it without much success, ball feels really far forward in my stance. I definitely recognize when I stay on my back foot though so thats a little bit of progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Put a big effort into my game the last 3 months. The strange thing was, I did it all myself. Combination of my pro not available and was actually unusually making progress alone.

Also changed shaft to a stiff heavier shaft and this has been a revelation, as far less spin on the ball and far more control. It has me thinking about the fact, I'm not fitted in any way for most of my equipment - am I at the stage them fractions are critical in the overall scheme.

Anyway - have been playing to my handicap without doing that much or making much on greens. Knew a good round was coming.

The other day I was 2 under for nine - and again , this was a little too easy or something.

Tees are a little bit forward - but it was the nature of the round rather than the pure score. I was 2 over. But it was 2 over with ease and for the first time I felt I could have been under on a different day.

Sometimes you need a sign like, that the progress is working. In the past I would have had to have played literally out of my skin for that and hole a mile of putts

I had 12 Birdie putts and made 4. maybe 8 of them were realistic efforts.

Yes it was slightly forward - but I could for once see that an under par round is not pie in the sky stuff.

Now to keep that form and do it when it counts in season and try win a gross.

The only thing that leaves me a little confused - is what role has a pro for me now ? - I know a pro has to be part of my game all the time - but this has made me question a little about reshaping at this stage. At some point you just got to pick your targets and hit.

I haven't really started short game practice this season - most positive I have been in a long time. :)

Even a broken clock is right at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Put a big effort into my game the last 3 months. The strange thing was, I did it all myself. Combination of my pro not available and was actually unusually making progress alone.

Also changed shaft to a stiff heavier shaft and this has been a revelation, as far less spin on the ball and far more control. It has me thinking about the fact, I'm not fitted in any way for most of my equipment - am I at the stage them fractions are critical in the overall scheme.

Anyway - have been playing to my handicap without doing that much or making much on greens. Knew a good round was coming.

The other day I was 2 under for nine - and again , this was a little too easy or something.

Tees are a little bit forward - but it was the nature of the round rather than the pure score. I was 2 over. But it was 2 over with ease and for the first time I felt I could have been under on a different day.

Sometimes you need a sign like, that the progress is working. In the past I would have had to have played literally out of my skin for that and hole a mile of putts

I had 12 Birdie putts and made 4. maybe 8 of them were realistic efforts.

Yes it was slightly forward - but I could for once see that an under par round is not pie in the sky stuff.

Now to keep that form and do it when it counts in season and try win a gross.

The only thing that leaves me a little confused - is what role has a pro for me now ? - I know a pro has to be part of my game all the time - but this has made me question a little about reshaping at this stage. At some point you just got to pick your targets and hit.

I haven't really started short game practice this season - most positive I have been in a long time. :)

Even a broken clock is right at times.

It might not have felt anything special Fix but 12+ GIR is very good golf:

http://www.golfwrx.com/285949/the-truth-behind-greens-in-regulation-and-scoring/

This was what I focused on last season and had a real break through.

I have started video lessons with a big name coach in the US who has made some setup changes that I'm starting to get used to. Early days but feels as though the changes will make my misses much better.

Striking the ball pretty well but I also need to focus on FIR this season as I've been far too streaky over the past few years - when it's on I drive it really well but when it's off it's really off and it's impossible to score:(. Have just bought an M2 which will hopefully help with this also.

Need a lot more work on my 30-80yd pitches as well and get some sort of system in place - the Dave Pelz method is OTT but it would be good to put something similar(but far simpler) in place so that I get onto the green as a minimum from this distance.

• Advertisement

All the seasons again on the east – as there was wind, rain, dark clouds and blue sky, in the space of 6 holes. With the longer evenings, I wanted to play a full round – as haven’t actually played too many full rounds with full score in a long time.

This winter has been crazy up and down – on and off the course. But, I definitely put as much work in this winter as I have in 5 years. At times, I would think, I have it cracked, then I’d go out and be hardly able to hit the ball. It ended with me back with my pro and going back to the basics of stance and balance, grip – it worked.

This week I had, my first eagle of the year, then had 4 birds in 7 holes another day. Big signs of a swing back to form.

I think as my swing is somewhat unorthodox – I’m never going to be a solid low scoring player – but a player with dips into low scoring.

The target this year is an in competition under par round, I think in relation to handicap, I’m going to be a 5 or 6 for a few years. But still feel I can be competitive at that.

So today things were looking poor enough – 4 over after 8 with 2- 3 putts. I was still hitting ball well but not scoring. Then it just happened 11 holes in 2 under. In a cross wind causing problems and changeable weather causing about 3 changes in clothing.

In front was a Scottish gent in 70s, impressively played at least 14 holes, had a chat with him, he was staying out as frustrated with his game, at one stage he was shouting in anger at his ball, then another time throwing a club in frustration – must be 50 years into this game and still searching, there was 2 of us in it. Still searching for the mystery of this game.

Had a great run from 13 to 16 - Bird, lip out for bird, bird, bird. Basically as well a I can ever play.

At 17 another 3 putt and at 18 an easy par for a 2 over round.
    Not my best ever round – but easy, with easy shots in there to be taken off.
    Blue sky again at the end – a sense of something found, hope for the future again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Have finally bit the bullet and got a Superstroke 3.0 grip on my putter. Putting has never been a strong point for me but seemed to get really bad in recent weeks so it was a perfect time to change.

With my old grip I always felt a bit 'handsy' and that my wrists were breaking quite a lot. The new grip already feels more secure in this regard.

So with the new grip on the putter seemed a perfect opportunity to use the Swingbyte 2.0 I had lying in the draw for the last 6 months without ever even turning on.

10 Putts in and some of the data was already coming clear that I had a lot (well 2/3 degrees) of forward shaft lean and downward angle of attach on my putts which wasn't helping getting the ball rolling. So slight adjustment to my set up and a focus on shaft lean (backward or neutral) and trying to feel like I am hitting up on the ball (upward AOA or 0-1 degree) saw massive improvement in how the ball was rolling.

Great feature on the Swingbyte called 'Dial it in' helped me focus on this for the next 100 putts.

Now to see if there is any difference when I hit the course!!!!

Had my lesson this morning.

Posture and grip good.

Ball position moved forward with irons and my right foot straightened/squared with clubface ( tended to be pointing right a bit)

Working on getting right through so that my belt is pointing at target and getting on my toes with my back foot at the end of the follow through. This is the reason for the pulls I've been having lately.

And my balance (heel and toes) is causing the shank every now and then.

So I had another lesson yesterday.

He still wants the ball more forward (2-2.5 balls past center 6i) but my feet are good now. Not sure on the ball position, he said I can play my 5w from the same position ( which I can) but I toe/thin the 6i from there :confused:

Getting through the ball very well and balance is good bar the odd one where I don't transfer weight to back leg and then to front on follow through.

Wanted to work on woods but he obviously felt I need more on my irons. A bit dissapointed as I only got about 5-10 minutes on my fairway woods and none at all on the driver so I'm still quite lost on it and trying different swing thoughts most days.

I played a bit more in the last two weeks and my irons and putting play have jumped up quite a bit. I can comfortably go for greens from 180-190 out with a good chance of success which is huge to me as a bad drive leaves my a good bit back and are quite common.

I'm spending more time on the putts aswell and its paying off with less 3 putts.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

3 rounds played sat-mon to get my 3 qualifying cards in to get my official GUI. Irons and chipping letting me down badly but driving is fairly solid. Too many 3 putts over the 54 holes.

Course is Par 70. I shot two 84s in tough windy conditions and an 85 in calm conditions after starting with a eagle. 8 iron holed out from 140. 85 had a back nine of +4.

Handicap sec should be looking at cards this week. Pro reckons I could get 12 but i think the fact i shot +14 on tough conditions from the whites and the +4 back nine yesterday could mean I'm given a bit lower.

I've entered singles matchplay which starts in 3 weeks so looking forward to some competitive golf.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I feel like this is the best place to post.

Literally this week decided I'm going to get back into golf. I haven't played since I was a junior about 7 years ago because I didn't have the time or money to keep it up.

Bought myself a few cheap second-hand clubs on Adverts, and been out to the driving range a couple of times already.

A few things I noticed:

1. I'm not hitting the ball anywhere near as long as I used to I feel, but that's to be expected after 7 years.

2. When I was a junior I couldn't drive a ball. Sliced it every time and couldn't fix it. I knew what I was doing wrong but for some reason I couldn't alter my swing. However now I'm hitting it a lot straighter (with a few sliced ones in there) which has given me a huge boost. I fully expected to struggle here again but it doesn't seem to be the case (or at least not as bad as I expected). I am driving inconsistently but I feel I have more control now.

3. However, my iron shots have been very inconsistent. When I was a junior, where my driving killed me, my iron play made up for it. I loved hitting an iron, and (not blowing my own trumpet) many of the junior mentors in the club were always complimentary of it with the club pro saying I hit them like someone with a single digit handicap and I always felt like it was the strongest part of my game to the point I invested in a 2 to drive with once I realised my driver wasn't doing anything but landing in the fairway of the hole next to me.

This is something I would love to get back because my new confidence in driving added to this will make me enjoy golf a hell of a lot more than I used to.

Question, if I joined a club, would I have to play three rounds to get a new handicap or would I be able to carry over my 22 from 7 years ago?

Faugheen wrote: »
    I feel like this is the best place to post.

Literally this week decided I'm going to get back into golf. I haven't played since I was a junior about 7 years ago because I didn't have the time or money to keep it up.

Bought myself a few cheap second-hand clubs on Adverts, and been out to the driving range a couple of times already.

A few things I noticed:

1. I'm not hitting the ball anywhere near as long as I used to I feel, but that's to be expected after 7 years.

2. When I was a junior I couldn't drive a ball. Sliced it every time and couldn't fix it. I knew what I was doing wrong but for some reason I couldn't alter my swing. However now I'm hitting it a lot straighter (with a few sliced ones in there) which has given me a huge boost. I fully expected to struggle here again but it doesn't seem to be the case (or at least not as bad as I expected). I am driving inconsistently but I feel I have more control now.

3. However, my iron shots have been very inconsistent. When I was a junior, where my driving killed me, my iron play made up for it. I loved hitting an iron, and (not blowing my own trumpet) many of the junior mentors in the club were always complimentary of it with the club pro saying I hit them like someone with a single digit handicap and I always felt like it was the strongest part of my game to the point I invested in a 2 to drive with once I realised my driver wasn't doing anything but landing in the fairway of the hole next to me.

This is something I would love to get back because my new confidence in driving added to this will make me enjoy golf a hell of a lot more than I used to.

Question, if I joined a club, would I have to play three rounds to get a new handicap or would I be able to carry over my 22 from 7 years ago?
    3 new cards.

From going to shooting my personal best a few weeks ago 45 pts to having my possible worse in the last boards outing 20 pts my confidence really took a knock and I was really struggling since the boards outing and being playing a lot! It was so bad I was knocking shots down off the tee and scuttling it along the ground.. My head was fried and of course my chipping starts to improve my biggest weakness the last few months.. :mad:

So had a lesson Sat and even my Pro took a while to notice it.. but I was dropping my left knee on back-swing causing my head to dip + move and all sorts of problems!! All my problems always seem to be minor but can really affect my confidence... I really admire single figure lads.. seriously.. I was at the presentation night in my club last Night for first time ever, as it was the first time I had won a competition at my club :D and there was young lads off 3 :eek: 6 and 9 winning prizes! That is some golf. I was embarrassed collecting my prize of 22 (at the time now 20). To me I think single figures is now beyond me and a pipe dream. As I seem to fix one problem, play well for a few weeks and a different old problem seems to pop its head. And the worse thing is they are all small and just takes simple tweaks to fix..

Anyway played comp yesterday first major of the year 32pts putting was shocking which is rare but confidence back again slowly which is most important.. Had a easy birdie on a tough hole a few pars would of had a lot more if putter was awake.. Couldnt find my ball when I drove into rough on the 18th.. and was to wrecked to head back to the Tee (its a long walk up hill + lads were waiting to tee off) so put myself out of competition.. I wasn't in the running anyway and are round was already at 4hrs 30mins.. As been strokes and off the back tee's it was always going to be a long day.. Think the heat got to us the last few holes as we all fell apart.. Hopefully 32 will get me in the buffer.. but doubtful..

This game is HARD...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

benny79 wrote: »
    From going to shooting my personal best a few weeks ago 45 pts to having my possible worse in the last boards outing 20 pts my confidence really took a knock and I was really struggling since the boards outing and being playing a lot! It was so bad I was knocking shots down off the tee and scuttling it along the ground.. My head was fried and of course my chipping starts to improve my biggest weakness the last few months.. :mad:

So had a lesson Sat and even my Pro took a while to notice it.. but I was dropping my left knee on back-swing causing my head to dip + move and all sorts of problems!! All my problems always seem to be minor but can really affect my confidence... I really admire single figure lads.. seriously.. I was at the presentation night in my club last Night for first time ever, as it was the first time I had won a competition at my club :D and there was young lads off 3 :eek: 6 and 9 winning prizes! That is some golf. I was embarrassed collecting my prize of 22 (at the time now 20). To me I think single figures is now beyond me and a pipe dream. As I seem to fix one problem, play well for a few weeks and a different old problem seems to pop its head. And the worse thing is they are all small and just takes simple tweaks to fix..

Anyway played comp yesterday first major of the year 32pts putting was shocking which is rare but confidence back again slowly which is most important.. Had a easy birdie on a tough hole a few pars would of had a lot more if putter was awake.. Couldnt find my ball when I drove into rough on the 18th.. and was to wrecked to head back to the Tee (its a long walk up hill + lads were waiting to tee off) so put myself out of competition.. I wasn't in the running anyway and are round was already at 4hrs 30mins.. As been strokes and off the back tee's it was always going to be a long day.. Think the heat got to us the last few holes as we all fell apart.. Hopefully 32 will get me in the buffer.. but doubtful..

This game is HARD...

The game is hard

but single figures isnt beyond anyone with a modicum of athletic ability and a drive to improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

first competition in the club monthly medal. +3 through 6 but struggled a bit around the turn. finished birdie par par to finish with 84 in tough conditions. 20th out of 74 entrants.

One lost ball on a hole where i have never lost one before left me with an 8 on a simple enough hole. A few bad chips left me with a lot to do and I felt that I could have easily broke 80. Keeping an eye on the 10h/c i drew in the matchplay, he shot 94 so feeling confident but all on the day of course!

Society outing yesterday on a different course. 2 birdies but too many 3 putts when greenside/GIR for another 84. I feel single figures is achievable if I can improve my putting slightly.

Anyone know if I can see what the buffer is on HDID or how to calculate it? Not sure how it would be calculated for a medal.

slingerz wrote: »
    The game is hard

but single figures isnt beyond anyone with a modicum of athletic ability and a drive to improve.

I have the drive mate, just to long playing now to believe its a possibility! I have had tonnes of lessons, got fitted in foregolf for a good set of clubs that I wont be changing for a long time. I find its so hard to get cut at my club.Most weeks 37,38 pts won't even get you a cut..

This year I have put in the work and it is paying off with my first win etc.. my aim is 16 for this year and I said I am going to play the most golf I have ever played in a year. Already started playing 9/12 holes 3 evenings a week sometimes even 4 evenings than comp at weekend.. If I can get to 16 I'll be delighted I have all the shots (well most of them :) ) and a good swing..

But like most my biggest weakness is the mental side! and I have read all the Rotella books..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

first competition in the club monthly medal. +3 through 6 but struggled a bit around the turn. finished birdie par par to finish with 84 in tough conditions. 20th out of 74 entrants.

One lost ball on a hole where i have never lost one before left me with an 8 on a simple enough hole. A few bad chips left me with a lot to do and I felt that I could have easily broke 80. Keeping an eye on the 10h/c i drew in the matchplay, he shot 94 so feeling confident but all on the day of course!

Society outing yesterday on a different course. 2 birdies but too many 3 putts when greenside/GIR for another 84. I feel single figures is achievable if I can improve my putting slightly.

Anyone know if I can see what the buffer is on HDID or how to calculate it? Not sure how it would be calculated for a medal.

Just log in to Golfnet or Howdidido and it will tell you your exact handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Driving the ball unbelievably well. Short game/putting a bit ropey, if i could tighten that up i'd getting some under par rounds in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Got a lesson last night. I'm kind of sliding through impact instead of rotating, when I did what the pro told me I was hitting the ball amazingly well. Need to practice now and get it right. It's well worth a lesson if you've hit a wall, a good pro will spot your problems almost instantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Got a lesson last night. I'm kind of sliding through impact instead of rotating, when I did what the pro told me I was hitting the ball amazingly well. Need to practice now and get it right. It's well worth a lesson if you've hit a wall, a good pro will spot your problems almost instantly.

This is a big problem for me too - what did the pro get you to do and did he give you any drills etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

This is a big problem for me too - what did the pro get you to do and did he give you any drills etc?

Yeah was told to warm up by hitting balls with my feet together, if you don't rotate you'll completely lose your balance. Then just practice the movement at home, keep shoulders square and pull my left hip back without moving the shoulders at all, just to get used to the movement.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Back playing golf a few months now, after a 10-15 year hiatus. Getting back into the swing of it, and have a lot of work to do, but it's coming along well enough. Joined the Curragh, and will get my three rounds done in the next week or two to get my handicap. Apparently it will be 18 anyway, which is fine with me.

Driving - made a change a few weeks ago, which has helped a lot. I keep the club lower on the back swing, which forces me to turn my shoulders more, and have been hitting it really well with my crappy driver (250-280 yards). Been quite happy with that, though i need a bit more consistency. I've been told i need to get a better driver, and i could be getting 30-40 yards extra, Will do that once I've a bit to spare.

Irons - my irons are the big problem for me at the moment. I can't hit my 2nd shot well at all, and it's killing my game. I keep pushing it right, and can't quite figure it out yet. Was given a tip (keep my right arm closer to my body), which helped for the last 2 holes i played last week, so will try that again this week.

Putting - so far so good with the putting. I like the putter i got off a friend, but I'm still not comfortable with the small 3-5 feet puts. Tend to push them right of the hole, but thankfully tend to go too long rather then too short (hate not hitting it hard enough).

I'm shooting around 100 at the moment. Best round was 88 in Elmgreen, but that was a pretty easy course. Shot a 93 in St Wolsley, and was very happy with that. Playing Druids Heath next week, and will try to get out in the Curragh a few evenings next week.

Hard to explain my form the last 6 months. Change from one golfer to another in 9 - 18 holes - by the week.

Won the winter matchplay here - but it was more good timing as opposed to real form. Maybe matchplay suited erratic form.

I've definitely got a swing path issue , this is worrying, as at times I'm putting a band aid on a pull or an OTT swing - and you can have rounds your not hitting anything well. I've been hiding from taking this on - as was very close to the season.

Wedges poor - then to top it off lost a bit of confidence with the flat stick and that had been fairly good for a good year.

l have gone out and say, played 9 in 1 over - but the next nine could be 6 over or more. It is frustrating - I still have plenty of time for golf and am enjoying it - but I've lost focus on a plan to improve. It is more - trial and error, find out what the the game is like on the day. To be a real low handicap player - I think you should be more solid - a bad day you can pull off a 76/77 - I could just be wrong there.

This week decided to shake things up and look at my routine to golf and round and approach, mental aspects. You could call them the subjective elements of our game.

A good bit of stuff going on off the course - and I think this could be having an impact on my game. Never imagined I'd believe that - what I considered "rubbish" before. There has to be something to it :) - I don't think I'm not able to swing or do anything I did before.

I've played at a decent level for a good while - so going out and having rounds in the high 80s at times , is like stepping back in time 10 years.

So all over the place. :D:)

Ironically enough - I probably do have to regress - and go back to a place , I say , what is the big deal - you can do it for 9. Just go out and do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Hard to explain my form the last 6 months. Change from one golfer to another in 9 - 18 holes - by the week.

Won the winter matchplay here - but it was more good timing as opposed to real form. Maybe matchplay suited erratic form.

I've definitely got a swing path issue , this is worrying, as at times I'm putting a band aid on a pull or an OTT swing - and you can have rounds your not hitting anything well. I've been hiding from taking this on - as was very close to the season.

Wedges poor - then to top it off lost a bit of confidence with the flat stick and that had been fairly good for a good year.

l have gone out and say, played 9 in 1 over - but the next nine could be 6 over or more. It is frustrating - I still have plenty of time for golf and am enjoying it - but I've lost focus on a plan to improve. It is more - trial and error, find out what the the game is like on the day. To be a real low handicap player - I think you should be more solid - a bad day you can pull off a 76/77 - I could just be wrong there.

This week decided to shake things up and look at my routine to golf and round and approach, mental aspects. You could call them the subjective elements of our game.

A good bit of stuff going on off the course - and I think this could be having an impact on my game. Never imagined I'd believe that - what I considered "rubbish" before. There has to be something to it :) - I don't think I'm not able to swing or do anything I did before.

I've played at a decent level for a good while - so going out and having rounds in the high 80s at times , is like stepping back in time 10 years.

So all over the place. :D:)

Ironically enough - I probably do have to regress - and go back to a place , I say , what is the big deal - you can do it for 9. Just go out and do it.

Not sure if you have unrealistic expectations Fix. I don't think the low guys are as super consistent as you think. Pretty much every bit of what I read online now says that you shouldn't be chasing consistency (because its impossible), you should be chasing getting better overall, so that the bad rounds are less bad.

Think I read a quote from Trevino saying that he had 3 games, his A, B & C games, and he'd know very quickly which game he had with him at any particular tournament & adjust his play accordingly. If he had his A-game he could take on any shot, B game, a bit more conservative, and C game, more conservative again, so he could minimise the impact when he wasn't swinging well.

Could you be having some course management problems taking on your A game shots every time, when you've got your C game swing out with you?

(or you could just completely ignore everything I've just said given you're the Cat 1 guy, and I'm chasing you from a long way back :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I remember an interview with Harrington a while back when he talks about consistency as if it was a load of ****e. Said he would much rather being inconsistent if it meant when on form he was in contention to win rather than just being a consistent top 20 player

Obviously paraphrasing but that was the gist of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I've a question and I think this is the most suitable thread!

I'm taking up golf and will be visiting a pretty nice course with experienced golfers a number of times later in the summer.

I've been practicing a bit in the driving range and I have to say, my driving is awful. Can't get height and can't hit straight. That is unless I use my 5 wood in which case I'm dead straight and get a couple of hundred yards.

So my question, is there any reason why you can't use the 5 wood off the tee for a full round, and, does anyone here do it?

Another question, anyone recommend any good beginner lessons in south Dublin? Contacted a few numbers and no one got back to me...

Thanks!

Advertisement