Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Well, after many attempts I finally parred the 17th at Rosses Point last weekend! Hit a best-ever 5 wood 2nd to just off the green and got up-and-down. The game apart from that is pretty decent at the moment too. Happy Days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Loire wrote: »
    Well, after many attempts I finally parred the 17th at Rosses Point last weekend! Hit a best-ever 5 wood 2nd to just off the green and got up-and-down. The game apart from that is pretty decent at the moment too. Happy Days!

An achievement to par that hole. I never know what to do with my tee shot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

alxmorgan wrote: »
    An achievement to par that hole. I never know what to do with my tee shot there.

Drove the ball to the crest of the edge of the fairway. She was sitting perfectly on the slight up slope. My hangover had just passed and I was going to be spending the evening driving back to Cork so I just said to myself - feckit and go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

2nd week in a row throwing it all away on the back 9. Last week 22/14 and this week in strokes +8/+15 (which works out as 21/14). I should be happy with 36 & 35 points or equivalent. But after the back 9 both times it has left me walking off the course thinking I had done terrible. Funny game.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

Dr.Rieux wrote: »
    2nd week in a row throwing it all away on the back 9. Last week 22/14 and this week in strokes +8/+15 (which works out as 21/14). I should be happy with 36 & 35 points or equivalent. But after the back 9 both times it has left me walking off the course thinking I had done terrible. Funny game.

Played an open on your place a couple of weeks ago. 20/11 on the nines. Disappointing after very good first nine. I do think the back nine is much harder, so your front/back scores are maybe not that unusual?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Played an open on your place a couple of weeks ago. 20/11 on the nines. Disappointing after very good first nine. I do think the back nine is much harder, so your front/back scores are maybe not that unusual?

I wouldn't think it's overly unusual, but can be mighty frustrating. Although I think I flatter myself on the front usually, getting away with bad shots by being so bad I can play from another fairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

slingerz wrote: »
    You are quite correct but to be honest i think there is 4 shots that i could take off my handicap and play to really with just a small bit of cop on and course management. Not entirely course management as some improving on putting/short game needs to happen also but its not far away. And that is the frustrating thing!!

i was correct, 43pts off 14. +7 gross. Short game was good, putting was excellent everything was togeter. even managed a bogey after going OOB off the tee on a par 4

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Dr.Rieux wrote: »

You've got to try break out of that 2 sets of 9 mindset, its a killer. Have you tried playing a round & not adding up your score at all. Problem with walking off the 9th & going "Great I've 22 points, 4 up on level 2s, if I can just score 18 points on the back 9, I'll get a nice cut/be in with a chance of winning" is that you're suddenly thinking about your score, not about your next shot. Then, say you have a bad hole, you start going in to protection mode, and it all tumbles downhill from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭irish coldplayer

started the year on 16 (only got my official handicap and started playing competitions this year) down to 12 11 after the weekend, goal for the year achieved... delighted!
    Now to just try and stay there and get used to playing on the lower handicap not sure if I'm consistent enough yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

started the year on 16 (only got my official handicap and started playing competitions this year) down to 12 11 after the weekend, goal for the year achieved... delighted!
    Now to just try and stay there and get used to playing on the lower handicap not sure if I'm consistent enough yet!!

That's class going, it's only June, no reason not to target getting to single figures by the end of the Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Game is a mess at present and has been for quite some time to the extent I'm starting to loose interest. Pulling and hooking a lot of shots especially from the tee which is getting me into all sorts of trouble flirting with OOB and trees/bunkers. Short game is really poor also costing me a lot of shots since I can't hit green in regulation so handicap has drifted back to 7 now.

It's tough as with the long evenings I should be raring to get out practicing and playing a few holes but my indifference is finding other things for me to do which in turn is only compounding the problems with my short game in particular.

Time to kick start my game and fire some life into the season so have a lesson booked for next week to work on the issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Game is a mess at present and has been for quite some time to the extent I'm starting to loose interest. Pulling and hooking a lot of shots especially from the tee which is getting me into all sorts of trouble flirting with OOB and trees/bunkers. Short game is really poor also costing me a lot of shots since I can't hit green in regulation so handicap has drifted back to 7 now.

It's tough as with the long evenings I should be raring to get out practicing and playing a few holes but my indifference is finding other things for me to do which in turn is only compounding the problems with my short game in particular.

Time to kick start my game and fire some life into the season so have a lesson booked for next week to work on the issues.
    Maybe play a few rounds and not enter comps? I know there are times when my love for the game disappears but a few rounds with friends and no card sort of gets you back in the mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Keano wrote: »
    Maybe play a few rounds and not enter comps? I know there are times when my love for the game disappears but a few rounds with friends and no card sort of gets you back in the mood.

Beginner mistake, you won't find your game in non competitive golf, the only way forward is to play through it and learn from the experience, i.e. dig deep, it will stand to you in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Does anyone else struggle with an issue im having! Every time I play on sunday comps I play terribly for the first 3-4 holes. I dont know if its playing with new people or what but its killing me! I always get into my groove eventually but those first few holes I can duff shots/lose balls/shanks etc! IF I play with mates It doesnt happen, maybe 1 bad shot which you can some what expect but its killing me to destroy the first few holes on a round!

I was playing strokes last week and was gone after 2 holes! The week before I played I had par, par on the first 2! ARGH!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Does anyone else struggle with an issue im having! Every time I play on sunday comps I play terribly for the first 3-4 holes. I dont know if its playing with new people or what but its killing me! I always get into my groove eventually but those first few holes I can duff shots/lose balls/shanks etc! IF I play with mates It doesnt happen, maybe 1 bad shot which you can some what expect but its killing me to destroy the first few holes on a round!

I was playing strokes last week and was gone after 2 holes! The week before I played I had par, par on the first 2! ARGH!

Are you playing the comps at different times in the day than your casual game?

I was the same a few years ago when I played early in the morning but never had a problem in the afternoon.

Are you playing the comps at different times in the day than your casual game?

I was the same a few years ago when I played early in the morning but never had a problem in the afternoon.

iv been playing earlier than normal , id normally play 10:30 -11 and have been playing at 8, both times iv played terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

iv been playing earlier than normal , id normally play 10:30 -11 and have been playing at 8, both times iv played terrible!

Do you do much of a warm up? Might be a good idea to do some stretches and 20 mins chipping and putting. A short jogs works for me as it gets the blood pumping.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    Do you do much of a warm up? Might be a good idea to do some stretches and 20 mins chipping and putting. A short jogs works for me as it gets the blood pumping.

I do noting to be fair, putting thats about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

I do noting to be fair, putting thats about it..

It could be playing with new people that has you tensed up and it's not until you have relaxed that you get going

3 decent rounds in a row now.

38 points in open singles at home course, Castlewarden, last bank holiday (to finish 2nd on the day).

37 points in Powerscourt at the Boards outing to take the win

85 strokes for 73 net in Intermediate Scratch Cup on Sunday (css 75 in relentless rain & miserable conditions). Was my best strokes score from the Blues to date at my home course

Have putted pretty poorly throughout that period, so there are some bigger scores in me if I can keep any level of consistency with the rest of my game, as I usually find its an area of my game that I perform well in. Have been really focussed on taking the stupid mistakes out of my rounds, so taking my medicine more readily & playing more percentage shots when they are required & it has paid dividends

Hoping to delay the (inevitable) crash as long as possible :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,801 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Having recently seen a picture of my swing I was horrified to see me slumped out over the ball trying to hit it. So with this in mind and while watching DJ in the US open I found Myself in front of the mirror for 20 minutes trying to copy the big man's posture.

Then late last night went down to the club to play the front 9 thinking solely about posture and getting a good connection with each shot. 9 holes later I walked of the course level par (7 pars, 1 bogey 1 birdie) albeit in a casual round off the whites. Whether or not the 36 was a fluke (had 42 week previous) or helped with the improved posture remains to be seen but definitely food for thought.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Spot on Tyson, but if you got any decent pro the first thing they will look at is posture. My buddy had 2 lessons with a pro and never hit a ball. His posture was so poor the pro said he had to get it right first.

Spot on Tyson, but if you got any decent pro the first thing they will look at is posture. My buddy had 2 lessons with a pro and never hit a ball. His posture was so poor the pro said he had to get it right first.

Yep, my first ever lesson was focussed entirely on posture, nothing else.

Still get slagged by my wife whenever she sees me address a golf ball for "sticking my arse out" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Been working on my driving on the range as it's been pants lately. I was hitting it really well and thought something had finally clicked.

I played this morning and was really looking forward to letting rip with the driver but it wasn't to be. What was working on the range just didn't carry over to the course and i reverted back to my old ways. Very frustrating.

I have our medal in the morning and I'm unsure what way to approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Milk_Tray wrote:

I used to get nervous playing with strangers until an older gent joined me for a few casual holes one evening in Corballis. We got to talking and he was asking me about comp results from the previous few weeks. I told him I get very nervous playing with new people and I usually messed my round up before it had a chance to get going. He stopped me in the middle of the fairway and in all seriousness said "sure what is there to be nervous about? We're all sh1t. Handicaps are only there to show the varying degrees of sh1tness we play to. Even a lad off 3 will take a 10 in a medal at some stage".
    When I put that in my head I don't really get too nervous anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Decided to start learning at the age of 32. Just moved to my area and thought it would be a good way to meet new people.

Decided to get a pack of 1 on 1 lessons from a pro golfer. Had one lesson so far. Learning the swing at the driving range. Couldn't have been happier. Small experience of pitch and putt over 15 years ago but nothing since then. But made huge progress in the 60 minutes.

Went for practise shots myself but I found I've strained the side back muscle or it is just unused to working. Couldn't even bend down to tie shoe laces. But I'm hooked on the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

Putting was gone to the dogs last few weeks and driving had really tidied up. Bit of a role reversal this evening. Putting came good again, had 35 putts which is a big improvement on previous weeks. Driver is gone a little hairy at times though, always without fail hit OOB right on the first drive, every single week. was hit and miss after that with some lovely ones but also 2 balls lost. Very frustrating as I find it hard to feel the difference in what I'm doing in the good and bad ones. Spending a lot of time practising the wedges lately and am definitely seeing the improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Decided to start learning at the age of 32. Just moved to my area and thought it would be a good way to meet new people.

Decided to get a pack of 1 on 1 lessons from a pro golfer. Had one lesson so far. Learning the swing at the driving range. Couldn't have been happier. Small experience of pitch and putt over 15 years ago but nothing since then. But made huge progress in the 60 minutes.

Went for practise shots myself but I found I've strained the side back muscle or it is just unused to working. Couldn't even bend down to tie shoe laces. But I'm hooked on the sport.

Warm up, warm up, warm up!

Even at the range, it's really important to stretch and warm up. You can easily do yourself an injury by just turning up and walloping balls.

Have more .1s back this year than I did in the whole of last year. My game is all over the shop. Have started snap hooking drives and my irons are just as bad. The joys of this game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Have more .1s back this year than I did in the whole of last year. My game is all over the shop. Have started snap hooking drives and my irons are just as bad. The joys of this game

Time to take the plunge and get a lesson perhaps!.

Advertisement