Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I've a question and I think this is the most suitable thread!

I'm taking up golf and will be visiting a pretty nice course with experienced golfers a number of times later in the summer.

I've been practicing a bit in the driving range and I have to say, my driving is awful. Can't get height and can't hit straight. That is unless I use my 5 wood in which case I'm dead straight and get a couple of hundred yards.

So my question, is there any reason why you can't use the 5 wood off the tee for a full round, and, does anyone here do it?

Another question, anyone recommend any good beginner lessons in south Dublin? Contacted a few numbers and no one got back to me...

Absolutely no reason why you can't use your 5 wood, if it's working for you then go for it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Shot a 93 in Citywest today which i was reasonably happy with. Would have been much better expect the two 9's i had (par 4 and 5). Just a mixture of bad shots and bad decisions for those. I got a bar on the proceeding holes both times though, so glad about that. Driving and putting was very good, and my irons are getting better. Think my hands are ahead of the club when swinging, which is pushing me right too often. Will work on that more this week.

Confident that i can shoot under 90 next time, which i would be very happy with.

Also sank a 25 foot birdie put on the 6th which felt great :D

So I posted in the 'last round' thread about how I got 8 points on the front 9 at the weekend.

I got a lesson during the week which I thought had gone well, hit the range before the round and I thought that went well too, but got out on the course and basically couldn't stop snap-hooking the ball. I lost balls on the 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 11th either through a snap hook or trying so hard not to snap hook a wild slice instead.

I got it back under control, sort of, after about 12 holes and played the last 6 in about 1 over gross. I got 26 points in total, 11 in the first 12 holes and 15 in the last 6. The only saving grace is I finished well. I'm actually surprised I managed to keep the head up at all. Will hit the range again this week and maybe get out for 9 one evening, but the hook is just so destructive I can't really play with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

So I posted in the 'last round' thread about how I got 8 points on the front 9 at the weekend.

I got a lesson during the week which I thought had gone well, hit the range before the round and I thought that went well too, but got out on the course and basically couldn't stop snap-hooking the ball. I lost balls on the 2nd, 3rd, 9th and 11th either through a snap hook or trying so hard not to snap hook a wild slice instead.

I got it back under control, sort of, after about 12 holes and played the last 6 in about 1 over gross. I got 26 points in total, 11 in the first 12 holes and 15 in the last 6. The only saving grace is I finished well. I'm actually surprised I managed to keep the head up at all. Will hit the range again this week and maybe get out for 9 one evening, but the hook is just so destructive I can't really play with it.

I feel your pain going through the same thing myself. Really is disheartening as it effects the rest of your game. Had 26 points, nothing but .1 this year.

Think I've self diagnosed it so hopefully that works if not I'll have to get a few lessons.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Far from an expert here but you may be aligning your stance too far right (if a right hander) and exacerbating the hook. Maybe open up your stance a bit. Ensure you follow through correctly. Exaggerate it if you have to, to ensure your body is rotating through the motion of swinging.

• Advertisement

Tyson Fury wrote: »
    I feel your pain going through the same thing myself. Really is disheartening as it effects the rest of your game. Had 26 points, nothing but .1 this year.

Think I've self diagnosed it so hopefully that works if not I'll have to get a few lessons.

Yeah it caused me to give up on a couple of holes where I might have salvaged a point, just really spoils things. Started messing about with my chips, or I wouldn't bother hitting a second if I thought a ball might have been lost, etc.
    Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Far from an expert here but you may be aligning your stance too far right (if a right hander) and exacerbating the hook. Maybe open up your stance a bit. Ensure you follow through correctly. Exaggerate it if you have to, to ensure your body is rotating through the motion of swinging.

My feet aren't going too far right but I guess my shoulders or hips might be. The pro actually changed my alignment a bit but I could be overdoing it or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Roxoli

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hiya guys... My game is not going good lately. Namely, I am playing at St Annes Golf Club, but am used to a totally different thing. I am from Sydney and am used to playing beach golf courses in a entirely different climate - such as my favorite Long Reef Golf Club. Do you have any advice? The winds are different as is the moisture of the grass... Maybe that's not even the issue, maybe I am having a bad month... Anyway... if you have any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them![/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭bustercherry

Roxoli wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Hiya guys... My game is not going good lately. Namely, I am playing at St Annes Golf Club, but am used to a totally different thing. I am from Sydney and am used to playing beach golf courses in a entirely different climate - such as my favorite Long Reef Golf Club. Do you have any advice? The winds are different as is the moisture of the grass... Maybe that's not even the issue, maybe I am having a bad month... Anyway... if you have any thoughts on this I'd love to hear them![/font]

Wind is wind, so how can it be different?

Might be a bit colder than your used too though 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 20,806 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

What do you play off ?

I play most course on east coast a bit. And the first thing about the east coast be It Portmarnock Links, St Annes, Corballis, Bettystown.

It is a very rare day , that there is no wind. So get use to it :D

First off ball flight is key.

This high ball in the sky is no good.
    Take loft off , take more loft off and then more.
    I'd say no harm moving ball back a little
    Be aware that on links course you are dealing with 3 club greens - front middle back - unless you know course well , you should use laser for a while. If using a GPS start looking at distance from front to back.

I don't know what level you are at.

Assuming you are high handicap.

If you have a cross wind - forget green - forget flag - you need to understand a ball can travel 20 to 30 yards to left or right in wind (up to 100 + with a driver). Key here is your own ball flight. Also remember - it moves in air and then roles in that direction too - in a cross wind with say a draw - I've often aimed 60 - 70 - 80 yards right of green , not even flag.

In head winds - yes it can be a 4 club wind, record the distance you hit a club into it early on - and recalibrate all your distances for the day. Down wind the same - you can take a little note next to card - or say on a par 3 use what happened as a hint for how clubs will perform on a day - ok "3 club"

You are right in that air conditions in Ireland can change considerably - be it humidity, pressure, temperature. Like today I was using a 9 iron on a hole I used a 6 iron on last week.

I will go back on my early statement and at certain times with a wind along the straight and behind you - a 5 iron or 6 iron up in air and getting it out to 200 yards + is not a bad shot all day.

Short game.

Leave the flop in Sydney Opera house
    8 iron - 9 iron - putter all day off the green.

Putting

Dont underestimate breaks - roll to sea and wind - wind is a new factor on links greens and in particular raised greens.

The Trouble Double.

Unless you are Tiger Woods - Links grass grabs clubs , you need to take you medicine more - and a PW / 9 iron / will run like feck and you get a flyer in links rough a lot (so dont be going for the 5 / 6 iron in not great/bad lies). If you play smart (take medicine) you will get on green for a par putt - it is sensible for any golf - but links grass , is a daft moment away from an 8.

The flyer is another thing you have to consider coming from rough on holes with trouble behind. When in rough no harm short - the club that gets you to flag can quickly be OOB - you literally can travel with wind a roll 3 clubs too long.

Advanced

In certain situations - you just simply have to be able to draw and punch and fade. The fade is higher risk for me. But back in stances draw set up will keep ball low and hold flag.

Another option is a very aggressive release - but again , we are getting into your own ball flight here.

That is all I can think of at the moment.

I would say - be ready for all weather.
    Don't underestimate sun and wind burn cold in winter and how wet things get.

Learn to watch balls properly - I mean a landmark , house , tree, bush - finding balls is actually a bit of an underestimated art form in links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Haven't hit a ball in nearly 3 weeks due to a muscle tear in my forearm from playing too much apparently :rolleyes: but I'm hitting the course this Fri for annual 9 hole 3 ball scramble for the wheelchair association. Its a fun event for a good cause and great prizes.

So hopefully the arm is ok the swelling has gone down and pain has gone the last week. So hopefully I'm on the mend as I am mad to get back playing :D

• Advertisement

I'd say I put the most work into golf I have in a good while over the last 2 months - and I seemed to be making progress on my own . Then just woke up with a snap hook on everything , Was incredibly demoralising, where did it come from ? - who, what, why, where and when ?

Low point was an 87 - had a 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 in the round. I know I'm around long enough - to ignore them rounds - but it was one of them low low points.

After that, I felt I needed a break from golf for a while - the motivation was gone, it seemed futile. Is there such a thing as golf induced depression :D.

So, just at the point of giving up - a friend invited me out for a 4 ball. It was interesting to be out in a game that your score is not just it. It changed focus - it changed the mindset, it changed the goal.

The wind was a nightmare all the way round - and I played out of my skin, the focus was the shape of the shot the targets - not the swing or swing path or anything - just targets and ball flights. I hit every shot in the bag in the round. A punch, a fade, a draw, a chip and run - great bunker shots - didn't make much on the green - but was 3 over on my own ball.

I know the pressure is not there as much in a team - but still felt I needed something to bring back hope.

I can't play much better than that in them conditions - I could make a few more putts - and maybe get level or under.

I'm delight to be back playing at some sort of level. But at a deeper level need to consider if at this point - my main battle is the mind / mindset.

I became far too focused on so many parts of my swing and got in my own way of the things I can do well.

I'm not saying it is time to ditch a coach for good - but I need to go back hitting the ball - and picking targets and shapes.

It is almost midsummer's day - the temperature is up , the evenings are long. It is time to play and dance. Not worry and plan.

But - Just one under par round - please :D

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jamok

At a bit of a crossroads with my game at the moment. I haven't been a member of a club since 2011 as my local course closed. I have however continued to play and practice and even worked in the industry for a time as a shop assistant in a club in Dublin, and play to 3/4 without much stress and could probably be a scratch baller with a bit of work.

I lost my 2 friends & golf partners over the last 3 years, and adjustment to not having them has been difficult.

My nearest club is out of my price range and to be honest I dont like the course as it just doesnt suit my eye and my next alternate doesn't hold up to any sort of water and is essentially a bog from September to May. The dilemma is that I want to get back to playing with and have a handicap and make serious competitive golf part of my life again but I dont want to join somewhere I wont enjoy. I have access to a public range short game and putting facility which I use 4/5 times a week.

I know there is a stigma with regards to a distance membership but all I want to do is play singles and the odd team event but Im concerned about being a low man with a distance membership and the questions it may raise.

Can anyone offer any advise for me? I haven't got many others to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'd say I put the most work into golf I have in a good while over the last 2 months - and I seemed to be making progress on my own . Then just woke up with a snap hook on everything , Was incredibly demoralising, where did it come from ? - who, what, why, where and when ?

Low point was an 87 - had a 3,4,5,6,7 and 8 in the round. I know I'm around long enough - to ignore them rounds - but it was one of them low low points.

After that, I felt I needed a break from golf for a while - the motivation was gone, it seemed futile. Is there such a thing as golf induced depression :D.

So, just at the point of giving up - a friend invited me out for a 4 ball. It was interesting to be out in a game that your score is not just it. It changed focus - it changed the mindset, it changed the goal.

The wind was a nightmare all the way round - and I played out of my skin, the focus was the shape of the shot the targets - not the swing or swing path or anything - just targets and ball flights. I hit every shot in the bag in the round. A punch, a fade, a draw, a chip and run - great bunker shots - didn't make much on the green - but was 3 over on my own ball.

I know the pressure is not there as much in a team - but still felt I needed something to bring back hope.

I can't play much better than that in them conditions - I could make a few more putts - and maybe get level or under.

I'm delight to be back playing at some sort of level. But at a deeper level need to consider if at this point - my main battle is the mind / mindset.

I became far too focused on so many parts of my swing and got in my own way of the things I can do well.

I'm not saying it is time to ditch a coach for good - but I need to go back hitting the ball - and picking targets and shapes.

It is almost midsummer's day - the temperature is up , the evenings are long. It is time to play and dance. Not worry and plan.

But - Just one under par round - please :D

Found this a good read in relation to some of the stuff you're talking about Fix:

https://www.adamyounggolf.com/internal-focus-for-golf/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I've a question and I think this is the most suitable thread!

I'm taking up golf and will be visiting a pretty nice course with experienced golfers a number of times later in the summer.

I've been practicing a bit in the driving range and I have to say, my driving is awful. Can't get height and can't hit straight. That is unless I use my 5 wood in which case I'm dead straight and get a couple of hundred yards.

So my question, is there any reason why you can't use the 5 wood off the tee for a full round, and, does anyone here do it?

Another question, anyone recommend any good beginner lessons in south Dublin? Contacted a few numbers and no one got back to me...

Thanks!

It's 100% better to hit a 5 wood straight for 200 yards off the tee than hit a driver 50 yards into trees.

Golf is a horses for courses game. Fact of the matter is that two straight and accurate 5 woods would have you on most greens in regulation.

is the wind different in that there was none while now there is a lot?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,343 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

jamok wrote: »
    At a bit of a crossroads with my game at the moment. I haven't been a member of a club since 2011 as my local course closed. I have however continued to play and practice and even worked in the industry for a time as a shop assistant in a club in Dublin, and play to 3/4 without much stress and could probably be a scratch baller with a bit of work.

I lost my 2 friends & golf partners over the last 3 years, and adjustment to not having them has been difficult.

My nearest club is out of my price range and to be honest I dont like the course as it just doesnt suit my eye and my next alternate doesn't hold up to any sort of water and is essentially a bog from September to May. The dilemma is that I want to get back to playing with and have a handicap and make serious competitive golf part of my life again but I dont want to join somewhere I wont enjoy. I have access to a public range short game and putting facility which I use 4/5 times a week.

I know there is a stigma with regards to a distance membership but all I want to do is play singles and the odd team event but Im concerned about being a low man with a distance membership and the questions it may raise.

Can anyone offer any advise for me? I haven't got many others to ask.

First of all sorry about your 2 friends. It seems like you have a lot of barriers to playing golf as marked with all the underlines above. Given you have access to the short game facility that you use so regularly, I would join *The Bog*. Sure you wont get any winter golf out of it, but you'd be as well in the practice facility over the winter anyways and then you can hammer out the golf in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

lawred2 wrote: »
    is the wind different in that there was none while now there is a lot?

There's definitely wind at Long Reef. It's a cracking course.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Milk_Tray

Really struggaling with putts from inside 3-4 feet! Just getting them wrong too often !! Driving me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Milk_Tray wrote: »
    Really struggaling with putts from inside 3-4 feet! Just getting them wrong too often !! Driving me mad

Feel your pain. Played in Kileen scratch cup and had 3 and 4 putts. Not comfortable over a 2 footer. Pulling everything and right hand is too active. Will have to change grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Played my 1st singles of the year last Saturday in our Presidents Prize. Off 10 I had 2 triples bogies and a double bogie but somehow still managed to shoot +8 gross and win (not eligible for 1st but I got gross)
    Delighted with result. Just shows when u go out expecting nothing magic can happen and if u try go low you are almost guaranteed to blow up 😂
    Had 4 missed birdie putts and an eagle putt miss but over all very solid tee to green except when i found a bunker and a gores bush.

Onwards and upwards now for summer to try get to single figures

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Same as always, chipping and putting issues are taking their toll on my scorecard each week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

My game has fallen off a cliff as it does almost every year around this time.
    I'm literally hitting the ball sideways and have become a danger on the course. The more I play and practice the worse I get.
    I pulled out of an open last week wth 9 points after 9 holes. I thought it couldn't get any worse until I shot 1 point after 8 holes! (I had 20 for the next 10 though).
    I went to my pro for a fix. In the video, I am throwing my right shoulder completely over the top so that my line of attack is about 30 degrees from out to in. Depending on how I manage to compensate with my hands, I either get a straight 30 degree left pull or a mega slice to the right.
    I worked on this over several lessons last year and could't believe how much I have reverted. I'm now back to basics trying to just swing the club and not my shoulders, which I find incredibly difficult to do and I know will take me weeks to correct :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

My game has fallen off a cliff as it does almost every year around this time.
    I'm literally hitting the ball sideways and have become a danger on the course. The more I play and practice the worse I get.
    I pulled out of an open last week wth 9 points after 9 holes. I thought it couldn't get any worse until I shot 1 point after 8 holes! (I had 20 for the next 10 though).
    I went to my pro for a fix. In the video, I am throwing my right shoulder completely over the top so that my line of attack is about 30 degrees from out to in. Depending on how I manage to compensate with my hands, I either get a straight 30 degree left pull or a mega slice to the right.
    I worked on this over several lessons last year and could't believe how much I have reverted. I'm now back to basics trying to just swing the club and not my shoulders, which I find incredibly difficult to do and I know will take me weeks to correct :mad:

Change isn't easy, keep the faith! You can practice these movements at home and it will come to you much faster.

Was on a much needed break (holiday) - from golf , work, life - and Ireland and the circular news of our little rock.

Anyway - was delighted to get back on the course and see how the game is. I have had a real bad 9 months of golf etc. - but felt at the start of summer things coming around - just a little.

Course empty - so decided to try get 18 in and did in what must be a record for me (2 hours 24 mins) - the land and sky was dark, but the course was summer green/brown as I pared the last.

Made a lot of up and downs - had 4 bogies and 14 pars for (+4)

I would have been delighted with that a few years ago - but these days a round without any birdie, never mind 2 to 3 is not going to get you too excited.

The only real target I have this year is to hold onto my handicap of 5 and try get an under par round.

Started thinking about the under par round and maybe when you get to a low enough handicap for long enough - you see how big a gap 4 over to 1 under is. It is another level of golf. People will say it is only 5 shots - but that is a different level. That round of golf with a few moments could get to 2 over maybe - another big putt 1 over - but you can see now for all the good things to happen , nothing bad happen and have 4/5 other good moments is a major leap. Particularly when in a round of golf you only have 18 approaches

Yes you can do it on a freak day you get close or make something big - or hole something. But to play a round and get under par in a natural way - is another level.

I've been listening to Rotella a good bit in the car again- at times you think he is brilliant, then he can sort of do your head in (that American thing is genuinely culturally different to ourselves). The main philosophy is to get out of your own way - to dumb down the mind - to simplify the process - Pick one single point of aim - move on to next shot. His ideas definitely work, but I often wonder is there a short gain - do we tend to return to our own natural state after a while ?

Anyway - was looking at a few other aspects of my game, as I was trying not to think ( I Know a crazy idea) - but was playing so poor for so long , I'm not even playing the same ball , I'm not even using a laser. It is fairly bad stuff for what I'm trying to do.

Anyway - much hope there , but I think if you are a low enough for long enough - you know when you are sort of winging it a bit. You know when you are hot and great stuff is coming.

Rotella is all about fooling yourself - but how long can you fool yourself for - you see every ball flight, you feel every strike , you see if a putt has a chance or not.
    The truth is there in every shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Played a round with the father in law this morning he broke my heart. No such thing as a lost ball.
    Two lads singles played thru us before 7.45 am and both had the lasers out, i pads or some form of tablets for entering telemetry between shots. Some dedication.
    Im not like that and dunno if i want to be, but its got to be admired.

Played a round with the father in law this morning he broke my heart. No such thing as a lost ball.
    Two lads singles played thru us before 7.45 am and both had the lasers out, i pads or some form of tablets for entering telemetry between shots. Some dedication.
    Im not like that and dunno if i want to be, but its got to be admired.

utterly pretentious bolloxology

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Game is in fine fettle, cut from 12.6 to 11.4 in the last 6 weeks (that's 13 to 11 in my book!). M1 driver really helping and the short game has gotten pretty good, esp putting. I have been pretty poor with my putting over the years but a few weeks ago I spent an hour putting with the drill of hitting the ball through 2 tees as goalposts and releasing the putter and it's worked wonders. I also keep my feet together more too and focus on hitting the putter head down the intended line. Irons are OK but could be better - still not hitting enough greens but the short game is getting me more up & downs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Bad case of the hooks and I'll not be playing nor picking up a club for 5 weeks! Not too disappointed about It as game isn't there and last few rounds have been a struggle. Will get a lesson when I can as it's very badly needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭benny79

Keano wrote: »
    Bad case of the hooks and I'll not be playing nor picking up a club for 5 weeks! Not too disappointed about It as game isn't there and last few rounds have been a struggle. Will get a lesson when I can as it's very badly needed!

Stop I know the feeling...I got injured a few months ago just as I was starting to hit form.. Started back a few weeks ago.. hooks, slices you name it, couldn't understand it! went over all my notes of lessons from the last year.. spent hours at range.. confidence totally shot again.. starting to hate the game again..

Bit the bullet and had a lesson last night and in 5 minutes flushing the drives and irons again!

Just goes to show the importance of lessons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Had a great start to the year, was playing/practicing four or five times a week and playing a well as I ever have. Then I got sick about ten weeks ago which put the brakes on things, went on holiday a few weeks later and broke a rib!! Had my first nine holes back on Sunday evening and finished with 22pts! Should take more breaks from golf!

Advertisement