Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your game!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Wise words but I have regular lessons but had eased up on them when I was playing good golf ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

i'm just steady, playing a lot and always ending up in the buffer zone never getting 0.1's and never getting cut.

Is this golf limbo???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

slingerz wrote: »
    i'm just steady, playing a lot and always ending up in the buffer zone never getting 0.1's and never getting cut.

Is this golf limbo???

Nothing wrong with that Sling.

Nothing wrong with that Sling.

I spose your right. it is frustrating though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I spose your right. it is frustrating though

Frustrating is having 12 tap in bogies in a round like mine last night!!! I've never driven the ball as well in my life, long irons were great, chipping could have been a bit better but its much improved on earlier in the year. Last week my putter worked perfect (7 pars and should have had a lot more) but last night, it was arctic cold. :mad: The amount of greens i hit in regulation to walk off with bogies would drive you nuts.

Anyway, back to 17.5 since last week and hit buffer yesterday with 35 points. :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭martinkop

Improving overall, I think. Got involved with inter-club comps, playing team match play (AI 4ball) for the 1st time this year. This really changed how I thought about playing holes and course management in general. Cut back on trying too hard, just make sure of the bogey, let the other team lose rather than forcing the win. Carried this mentality over to my own game in general, and have seen my scores come down slightly but much more consistency since.

Have had 2 cuts out of 2 qualifying rounds at my home course since we finished up with the inter-club comp. Missed a buffer in an away comp by 1 shot. Prior to that I've had 14 x 0.1s last year into start of this year from about 18 qualifying comps!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Imp Lannister

Just over a year since I got my handicap, didn't get to play much last year, but was awful when I did! Changed my entire set of clubs incrementally and have been playing a lot in the last three months. Driving and irons are consistent enough, managed to get down to 17.9 (from 22), which I'm happy enough with. However, I'm three putting on most greens and can't seem to get the pace right, particularly for anything over about 10 feet. I'm getting birdie putts and turning them into bogies, par putts into double bogies etc.

Practice greens seem to be of no use to me as they're a completely different pace to the greens in my club (same in any of the other clubs I play regularly!) Planning a long summer of golf but it is draining me every time this happens.

Played Mallow scratch cup yesterday afternoon. Really tough conditions and first time playing led to +6 nett. Tough course but I'd advise anyone to give it a go I think it's one of the best in Cork really.

Played with an elderly gentleman (75) and I swear to go I have never seen anyone with such a short game in all my life. I've played with scratch guys recently but his chipping and putting was phenomenal. Was off 13 but was scratch in his day he told me. An education and a realisation of the amount of practice I need to do on my shirt game

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Played in our Presidents Prize yesterday and shot a poxy 24 points, everything was terrible.

Went out this morning for our weekly Sunday comp and shot 44 points, 3 over gross. Best round I have ever played. Go figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

Promised myself at the start of the year I was going to have a serious crack at lowering my handicap.... Getting married in November so it could be my last chance!! Practised a lot in January and February and have played a lot of golf since, I'm fortunate that my work allows me to play in the mornings. Have lowered my handicap from 15.8 to 10.1 since and I swear to god I haven't sank one decent putt in that time!! Driving and irons have improved dramatically but honestly my chipping is the same as last year and my putting is actually worse! All last year my putting was excellent and this year it's ridiculously inconsistent, finding it very hard to get the pace right. I have played a lot of different courses recently, that may play a part in it. I shouldn't be complaining as I'm having a very very good year, it's just irritating at times!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Imp Lannister

After venting my frustration at the end of last week, went and played in the captain's prize qualifiers. Won Day 2 with net 68. (off 18). Driver behaved itself all day, putter actually worked. Greens were incredibly fast which ironically worked in my favour as I was under hitting everything recently. Had a good bit of luck during the day too, mi**** a wedge on the 8th and it literally dropped straight into the hole. When your luck is in, it's in. I'll enjoy it while it lasts as I'm out again this evening and who knows what is in store.

Up and down. Drifted to 14.2 despite playing some decent golf. Of my best seems to come in team events

Frustrating as hell

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I'm at such a frustrating place at the moment with my game. I play off 14 and I'm probably averaging 26-28 points per round at the moment which is obviously poor.

My issue is that I can play 12-13 holes really well and just blow up for the rest of them. I really need to work on my concentration and course management. There's a decent round in there somewhere but I just cannot keep it going for 18 holes. Massively annoying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

My game is getting is in weird place. My last two rounds where in parkland courses where I scored 33 points both days without even feeling like i was playing well. Yesterday for example I played the K Club Palmer course had 33 points including 8 pars however still had 4 scratches. Played ok but still plenty of errors.

However I am now starting to think my game is more suited to Parkland as to hit 33 points on my home track (links) I feel like I have to play out of my skin. yet I can regularly cruise to it on parkland courses

literally in golf limbo land, get a few 0.1's in then get a small cut to be back to where i started from. Feel like there is a run in me that would my handicap drop but i'm just not putting it all together. So frustrating.

Think i may be thinking too much about my scores during the round in the hunt for the big one

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭BOB81

My game is a game of scrambling these days - I'm chipping and putting fairly well but I am struggling to put the ball in play off the tee. Have a huge right miss where the ball starts right and goes further right and is extremely difficult to play with obviously enough! I remember fondly the days when I had a fade (slice on a bad one) - I could still play with that to a certain extent but right going right is not a runner...

I've been for a couple of lessons and am reasonably clear about what I'm trying to do - so hopefully its just a case of getting some practice in and making the swing changes more "normal". Not the ideal time of year to be doing this too but I can't keep going the way I am - just need a tee shot that will put me in play for the moment...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭BOB81

Think i may be thinking too much about my scores during the round in the hunt for the big one

This too! Was 4 over for the front 9 in a recent round (equivalent to 22 pts), having scrambled well for some good pars. As soon as my playing partner told me my score after 9 I went double, treble, double and that was pretty much that....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

redzerdrog wrote: »

However I am now starting to think my game is more suited to Parkland as to hit 33 points on my home track (links) I feel like I have to play out of my skin. yet I can regularly cruise to it on parkland courses

Interesting, as I think I'm the exact opposite of this. I haven't played much links but when I do it brings out the best of my game.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

BOB81 wrote: »
    This too! Was 4 over for the front 9 in a recent round (equivalent to 22 pts), having scrambled well for some good pars. As soon as my playing partner told me my score after 9 I went double, treble, double and that was pretty much that....

A good piece of advice on a thread here a couple of years ago was to mentally 'bank' your score after every three holes. Gets you into the mentality of parking what you've already done. I much prefer when people don't talk about what score I'm on, but most will do it after nine usually. My best round in recent years was one where I did use that 3 hole strategy, and my playing partners made no mention during the round of the score I was racking up. I thanked them for that first that after holing out on the 18th. Good playing partners, they were. That makes a big difference too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

BOB81 wrote: »

Why oh why do people do this ?.
    If I want to know I'll ask !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭mafc

Surely you would know your own score at any given time on the course !

Playing partners mentioning your score after x amount of holes shouldn't make a difference, unless you're looking for an excuse for blowing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,351 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

mafc wrote: »
    Surely you would know your own score at any given time on the course !

Playing partners mentioning your score after x amount of holes shouldn't make a difference, unless you're looking for an excuse for blowing up.

Knowing your score and having it told to you are two different things entirely ;)

Your score coming up in discussion only adds extra pressure because now you know your playing partners are watching you to see what you do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭doublecross

I hate people telling me my score. I'll have a rough idea of what my score is but I don't focus on it.
    I'd an great round going recently, playing partners decided to continuously remind me of my score, tell me what points won last week, that I should easily par the next hole, etc. They should focus on their game and I'll focus on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

alxmorgan wrote: »
    34 points tonight which includes 3 blanks and 3 1 pointers.
    When I kept it in play off the tee I was scoring well.
    Not even a driver issue. Got into trouble while trying to play smart with hybrids and 3 woods as well.

Game is in there - just gotta dig it out

So not playing as much as I'd like this year and not a whole lot of comps.
    Played the ACC and played pretty well overall.

Came back and managed 37 pts in Castlemartyr, CSS was 38 of course :rolleyes:

So still without a cut all year.

Played Int. Scratch cup in Ballyneety w/e just gone and despite some dodgy moments I held it together well. Putting was very solid and driving mainly very good as well.
    Had a double on 6 when I airmailed the green with a shot I hit "too well" :D
    But managed to steady the ship with 4 pars in a row after that.
    Another double on 11 was followed by a bogey but then a bird, a sand save par and another par.
    So anyway finished with 40/40 for 80 (+9) and a third place finish which i was delighted with.
    Should be back down to 11 since first comp of the year.

Typically I will now not touch a club for 3 weeks due to a family holiday which means bye-bye momentum :rolleyes: :D

Anyway, hoping for one last push when I get back to try and get to 10 maybe and my lowest ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,051 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I find this thread really useful for documenting my rounds.

Anyway had 33 points at the weekend in The Island. 33 is actually an improvement on my recent efforts. I missed about 10 fairways (out of 15) to the right, and four of those were of the catastrophic, out of bounds, up a mountain, in the water hazard nature. Scratched 8 and 18 as a result. I really really need to get it sorted, so I'm taking a lesson tomorrow. Three really stupid doubles on 3, 4 and 12, four to get down from chipping/pitching distance. But managed to birdie 14 and 15, not sure I can remember getting back-to-back birdies before. Feel like I'm going in the right direction. If I can get my drives going vaguely towards the fairway it will help quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭daithi7

A good piece of advice on a thread here a couple of years ago was to mentally 'bank' your score after every three holes. Gets you into the mentality of parking what you've already done. I much prefer when people don't talk about what score I'm on, but most will do it after nine usually. My best round in recent years was one where I did use that 3 hole strategy, and my playing partners made no mention during the round of the score I was racking up. I thanked them for that first that after holing out on the 18th. Good playing partners, they were. That makes a big difference too.

Ditto this. The basic psychology behind this is that we (humans that is, not exclusively golfers;) ) think in 3s, so by breaking a round into sub groups of 3 holes, you break up the marathon that is 18 holes into mentally comprehensible pieces.

Also by playing the course in 3s , you can pace your scoring, e.g. I need 1 better than level 2s every 3 holes to score 42 points say, etc, etc, etc

Finally, it stops you throwing the toys out of the pram after a bad hole or 2. You just bank the crap after that 3 holes, and start with a clean slate. It actually works, if you buy in to the mental discipline required.

P.s. a good way to try to get your playing partners to stop mentioning your score (or theirs ), is to respond with the phrase , " yeah, that's all ancient history now...."

& if they start muttering on about your score again, repeat this phase again

& if they don't take the hint after that, a nice 3/4 swing 9 iron to the head should do the trick rather nicely at that stage:)

My game improvement has been held up by a tendency to a big over swing. I've really struggled over the years to try to compact my swing (drills, devices, etc, etc) but mostly to no avail.

Ironically my driving is a strength of my game, but my over swinging really affects my fairway/rescue woods and long to mid irons badly. I'm not accurate enough with these clubs to really score well, and it affects my scoring irons (8 to Wedges) also which is very frustrating cos I'm an excellent putter and pretty handy chipper/sandy & pitcher too.

I'm gonna try Nick Faldos wrist cock drill https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKHCGNT-hPw&feature=youtube_gdata_player
    and Montes wrist set idea http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1098971-left-arm-in-the-backswing-for-those-with-backswing-problems/

Anyways after 20 years of over swinging my bat, my optimism is muted by experience, but I'm not quite ready to give in yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

So I haven't posted in a while on this thread or How did you score thread. I'm just about to reach the top limit of my handicap rise. 8 * 0.1s on the bounce. I've had a couple of lessons on the areas I so dearly needed, chipping and pitching. That area has improved but my control with irons and woods have gone out the window.
    I've a huge over swing which puts everything out of balance causing pull draws and big pushes. My body can move all over the place. Came across so YouTube vids from Rich Shiels who is a pro in the UK. He actually has the same faults but it's nice to see his process during practice and lessons. So work to do, but for now I need to try and enjoy the game again without the pressure of HC. The timing of the boards outing this weekend is perfect. No pressure just a walk with pals, who are golf nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

New to golf and relatively new to this forum, interesting reading other peoples troubles/successes. I got a handicap of 19 at local course a few weeks back and currently at 19.2 after first two comps. Pretty happy as it is consistent. Hit 37 in third comp which was 1 point off the prizes. No update yet on that round which took place a week ago.

Yet i played long handicap yesterday and had four scratches in a row, never happened before. Seem to have real good days with driver or real bad days. On the bad days I slice and lose a lot of balls and never able to recover. Yet when I take out 3 wood I can hit it 200 metres pretty consistently. Yet every hole you take back out driver thinking the problem you had is fixed. To make matters worse the day I hit the 37 I drove it pretty perfect, hitting one drive over 250m. Strange game.

Irons are good, crisp and consistent which is saving me when I actually hit the fairway. Getting lessons but when I go to him my drives are good. Putting is terrible but that will come with time and practice. Back to the range!

• Advertisement

I think I I've made a breakthrough recently. I was closing the face hugely at impact, about 7,deg left, and I also greatly reduce loft in my dynamic loft presentation (by up to 10deg on fairway woods and hybrids... Yuck!!) This results in a lower than optimal, piercing, right to left ball flight, which can be hard to control at times.

Anyway I've weakened my grip (both left and especially right hand) recently and it seems to have really helped get my irons flying straighter and with a higher loft. Last night I played a 4ball in the wind and rain and hit 3 out of 3 par 3s, 1 with a hybrid, and played as well as I ever have from tee to green, so that is very, very encouraging..... :)

The only slight issue with my new grip /swing is that I'm prone to the very odd big push/slice with the driver which I never had before. So much so, that I'm actually considering using my older stronger grip for my driver off the tee, and using the weaker, higher lofting, straighter grip for all other shots.....which isnt idéal but if it works I'll use it...... I'm noir proud....It's All a bit of a work in progress at the moment!! :)

As a matter of interest, does anyone else use a slightly different grip for their driver versus their irons??? And how does this work for you if you do!!?

Advertisement