Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had bad convulsion

Options
  • 04-12-2016 11:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Hi, my dog had a very bad convulsion this evening. Vet won't come out. He's very distressed and disorientated. Any tips to calm him. Also has blood coming from his nostrils.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

pilly wrote:
    Hi, my dog had a very bad convulsion this evening. Vet won't come out. He's very distressed and disorientated. Any tips to calm him. Also has blood coming from his nostrils.

I think you should try another vet that does emergency call outs. Wouldn't be fair on the dog to leave him distressed and especially if the cause of the convulsion is unknown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Bells21 wrote:
    I think you should try another vet that does emergency call outs. Wouldn't be fair on the dog to leave him distressed and especially if the cause of the convulsion is unknown.

I live in a rural area, he was the on call vet I spoke to. Also rang another but he wouldn't come either. Dog is a bit calmer now but I'm terrified he's going to die. He's never had a fit before.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Can you get your dog to a vet op?
    The nose bleeding would concern me.
    The first time my elderly dog had a seizure, she was disorientated for a short while afterwards, bur I could see she was improving minute by minute... So I'd a fair idea it was epilepsy, which it turned out to be.
    But I'd be worried about the nosebleed, and would be inclined to get it ruled out as something significant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭jellybear

Where abouts are you based? People might be able to recommend a vet.

jellybear wrote:
    Where abouts are you based? People might be able to recommend a vet.

Ballyporeen Co. Tipperary Told the vet about his nose and he said to try suss out is it from one nostril ot two. It's from one nostril.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh I'm of no help so as I'm nowhere near you but maybe someone here is. Hopefully everything will be okay. I'll keep everything crossed for you. You must be so worried :(

He's settled a bit now.

DBB wrote:
    Can you get your dog to a vet op? The nose bleeding would concern me. The first time my elderly dog had a seizure, she was disorientated for a short while afterwards, bur I could see she was improving minute by minute... So I'd a fair idea it was epilepsy, which it turned out to be. But I'd be worried about the nosebleed, and would be inclined to get it ruled out as something significant

How old was your dog. This fella is 13 but never had anything like this.

jellybear wrote:
    Awh I'm of no help so as I'm nowhere near you but maybe someone here is. Hopefully everything will be okay. I'll keep everything crossed for you. You must be so worried

I am, he's crying again now. Just horrible to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I know it's a good belt of a journey away but would the emergency vet in UCD be an option?

• Advertisement

Kablamo! wrote:
    I know it's a good belt of a journey away but would the emergency vet in UCD be an option?

It would be two and a half hours away and he doesn't like the car at the best of times. Thanks for the suggestion though. Vets open at 830 so I'll be waiting outside. Poor fella, it's breaking my heart. I think it was a bit callous of the vet not to come but then maybe he had more urgent calls, I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

It's fair lousy of the vet alright. It's awful feeling so helpless. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully you'll both be in better shape in the morning after a rest.

Kablamo! wrote:
    It's fair lousy of the vet alright. It's awful feeling so helpless. My heart goes out to you. Hopefully you'll both be in better shape in the morning after a rest.

Thanks. Don't think I'll sleep much.

pilly wrote: »
    How old was your dog. This fella is 13 but never had anything like this.

My dog was the same age, 13 or thereabouts. We never got to the root of what caused her epilepsy to develop suddenly and so late in life, but it is important to get blood tests and other assessments done to see if there's anything going on.
    How long did your dog's seizure last?
    How's he doing now?

DBB wrote:
    My dog was the same age, 13 or thereabouts. We never got to the root of what caused her epilepsy to develop suddenly and so late in life, but it is important to get blood tests and other assessments done to see if there's anything going on. How long did your dog's seizure last? How's he doing now?

Lasted about 5 minutes I suppose, seemed like forever. He's relaxed now.

Oh Jesus's he's having another really bad one.

:(
    Pilly, you need to contact your vet again and get your dog to him, or him to your dog. He can at least put your dog an anticonvulsants until he can do a proper assessment in the morning.
    I hope it's of some small consolation that your dog is not conscious of what's going on either during or for a time after the seizures. I know it's dreadfully upsetting to witness for you though.
    Keep us posted. My heart goes out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Pilly I'm sorry I've nothing useful to add but just wanted to send you wishes and hope it will be ok. DBB could be right : maybe if you call the vet again now, he'll be more willing to come out, he may have finished with one animal and be freer, and also he'll know now that it's not an isolated seizure that's over and that could wait till tomorrow to be investigated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

I hope all is OK OP?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same here, been thinking of you guys during the night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

This gives me the rage about the vet.

I hope your pup is doing ok this morning and the vet gets this sorted. And I hope they are ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Hi op. How's the poor lamb this morning? What breed is he btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

This is so hard to read.. I hope he's ok, poor poor thing. Poor you too.

Fingers and toes crossed you got sorted. Why wouldn't the vet come? that sounds mean...

Hope you are all ok..

Big hugs

He's okay now, been to the vet and he was very blasé about it all. Took bloods, said he'll have to test his liver before he puts him on any anti-convulsants because of his age. Said he'll have the bloods back tomorrow evening or Wednesday.

Gave me anti-biotics and Vitamin K for his nosebleed, said to see if that dries it up. If it doesn't he'll have to do a scan. Could be a tumour.

I told him that I was disappointed he didn't come out when the dog was in distress all night. I was awake all night too.

I don't know is it me over-reacting or is it that rural vets have little time for dogs?

Poor thing is worn out now but he doesn't seem distressed at the moment. I'm really distressed and worried.

Ann22 wrote: »
    Hi op. How's the poor lamb this morning? What breed is he btw?

He's a springer spaniel. Thanks to everyone for their best wishes.

I know worse things happen to people but this is my best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I don't know is it me over-reacting or is it that rural vets have little time for dogs?

No I don't think you're over-reacting at all! Surely the vet has a duty of care to their patients? I'd be changing vets if it was me anyways but I'm in the city with plenty to choose from! I'm lucky that the owner of our vets lives up the road - the one and only time I needed them OOH he arranged to meet me there in 20 mins but it sorted itself out 2 mins after I hung up. He met my friend at the practice at 1:30am on xmas morning when his dog was having pups and one got stuck!

I hope it's nothing serious. Try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Can you get a second opinion? I wouldn't be happy about that vet's behaviour at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I know worse things happen to people but this is my best friend.

A lot of people here, including myself, get this completely. I hopped on first thing this morning to see if there was an update from yourself, I could sense through your posts how scared you were.

Hopefully he settles now. Is there a chance you could get a second opinion? I'm not one for sticking with a vet if how they behave/operate doesn't please me.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Yes, I think I'll start asking around for recommendations. I simply don't like this vet. He's very cold altogether. There aren't too many options though. If they're too far away from you they definitely won't come out in an emergency. Although this fella is 10 minutes away and wouldn't bother last night. I almost felt a nuisance for ringing him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Yes, I think I'll start asking around for recommendations. I simply don't like this vet. He's very cold altogether. There aren't too many options though. If they're too far away from you they definitely won't come out in an emergency. Although this fella is 10 minutes away and wouldn't bother last night. I almost felt a nuisance for ringing him.

Never feel like that. The vet should have came out last night.

Jesus i feel blessed with my vet the effort he goes too to get things sorted.

Try and get a second opinion even if you have to travel a bit for it.

Advertisement