Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had bad convulsion

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

faceman wrote: »
    Not saying at all it's the same thing but when one of my dog's got really old he developed a problem where his brain wasn't communicating properly to his heart to pump faster when he was doing something strenuous like hard exercise etc. Meds helped though. Although it was an age thing

Thanks faceman. Don't think it's similar though because he's falling over even when just standing still. It's like a drunk person for want of a better description.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

The vitamin k is to help the blood to clot and dry up. The antibiotics are because his white cell count is high indicating an infection somewhere in his body.

I would've thought his blood chemistry would show signs of a tumour if there was one. I suppose it depends on what they were lookibg for.

I saw one of those Rspca Australia progs lately where there was an older dog who couldn't keep her balance. It was a temperary brain inflammation. It settled down in a few days and she was fine. I hope Claude has something similar, poor wee fella.

Just left him there at the vets now, she's going to ring me. Nerves are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Hopefully they'll find out what it is, it will be treatable and he'll be fine, Pilly.

Everything crossed
    xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

so sorry to hear :(

everything of mine is crossed too x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Very best wishes Pilly, and fingers and toes all crossed here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

since you are calling the vet "she" OP, I assume you have found a new/different vet??
    Please keep us posted, and let us know how Claude is doing - fingers crossed for you both in the interim

aonb wrote: »
    since you are calling the vet "she" OP, I assume you have found a new/different vet??
    Please keep us posted, and let us know how Claude is doing - fingers crossed for you both in the interim

No, I was talking about the nurse.

Longest afternoon of my life. :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I really hope the dog will be ok OP and you find a nicer vet. My dog got kisses at the vets the other night because she was frightened! :o

tk123 wrote: »
    I really hope the dog will be ok OP and you find a nicer vet. My dog got kisses at the vets the other night because she was frightened! :o

Jaysus, I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get a hug of this vet, let alone a kiss! Mind you the nurse was nice. Claude plonked his arse in reception and refused to move and she tempted him with treats. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

If it's any comfort. plenty on here rooting for you both.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

Fingers crossed OP, hope Claude will be feeling better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Watching and waiting for an update here too. Hope you and Claude are both ok and that its nothing too serious!

even Bigger HUGS this time...

I have everything crossed for you.

Okay, my heart is breaking at the moment and don't really know what to do or say. Just had a conversation with the vet and she said he has a weakness in his back legs that indicate a tumour of the spine or brain.

He's putting him on steroids to relieve the symptoms but when I questioned him on it she said that yes it will only relieve the symptoms, it's not solving the problem.

The only definitive diagnosis would be a MRI scan which can only be done in Dublin according to him, is this true?

From the feeling I was getting off the vet it was more or less "it doesn't really matter if we know or not".

I'm so confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭volchitsa

So so sorry to hear this Pilly. I've no experience of medical issues in dogs, ours is still only young, so I can't give you any advice at all, but just sending you hugs and very best wishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry pilly, your vet may be signalling to you that you can go to ucd, spend hundreds of euro to confirm the diagnosis. It's up to you what you decide and I suppose the rescue have a say if they're paying the bills.

My heart goes out to you, it's a horrible situation for you and your beloved dog

So sorry pilly, your vet may be signalling to you that you can go to ucd, spend hundreds of euro to confirm the diagnosis. It's up to you what you decide and I suppose the rescue have a say if they're paying the bills.

Yeah I think that's what the vet was saying. 1500 for the MRI but regardless if they do what's the treatment and can he withstand it?

He's falling over every minutes now and banging is face sometimes.

The other complication is im going to Canada to in 2 weeks don't know if kennel will take him with illness.

Some advice please lads ( that's a gerenal term I use to include ladies and men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

I know it's not what you want to hear but seeing my sisters dog struggle on for a few months earlier in the year with progressively worsening symptoms I'd be inclined to face the inevitable and think about euthanasia :-(
    Easy for me to say perhaps when it's not my moggie but given his age i can't see this resolving
    If you did go down this route I'd give myself enough time to grieve before heading off so don't leave it till last minute.
    Not sure what the kennel situation would be with a sick dog

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I know it's not what you want to hear but seeing my sisters dog struggle on for a few months earlier in the year with progressively worsening symptoms I'd be inclined to face the inevitable and think about euthanasia :-(
    Easy for me to say perhaps when it's not my moggie but given his age i can't see this resolving
    If you did go down this route I'd give myself enough time to grieve before heading off so don't leave it till last minute.
    Not sure what the kennel situation would be with a sick dog

Id agree on this ive left dogs sick once or twice in my life when there was no hope and only regretted it

I know it's not what you want to hear but seeing my sisters dog struggle on for a few months earlier in the year with progressively worsening symptoms I'd be inclined to face the inevitable and think about euthanasia :-( Easy for me to say perhaps when it's not my moggie but given his age i can't see this resolving If you did go down this route I'd give myself enough time to grieve before heading off so don't leave it till last minute. Not sure what the kennel situation would be with a sick dog

Is this allowed if the vet doesn't suggest it?

Oh pilly, it's a horrible decision, but I'd tend to agree with above posters. A friend of mine left her dog in ucd for two weeks, and he still didn't make it in the end. She said she'd never do it again, she felt that she abandoned him in his final weeks. I know it's different for everyone.

It's a very, very sad situation. Just try and figure out what's best for him and make your decision based on that.

Im so sorry for you and your beloved pet :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pilly wrote: »
    Is this allowed if the vet doesn't suggest it?

Yes yo can bring it up with your vet

I think you vet is signalling this to you, without spelling it out, maybe giving you time to come to a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

I hate to read this, it breaks my heart... Pilly, my partners old family dog had a brain tumour and had two bad convulsions which turned out to be strokes. After the first, he recovered quickly but after the second he completely lost his appetite, would not respond to people or stimulants he was used to and could no longer use his back legs climbing steps and anything faster than a waddle. He constantly toileted all over himself in his crate. What you are describing does sound very similar and the vet he attended was very nice, attentive and informative and she also said that proving a tumour is only useful in ensuring it's not something treatable. He actually passed away while under anaesthetic so the decision was taken from the family, but I would not put a dog through that. My own boy had cancer and steroids gave him little over a day of his old self before he deteriorated rapidly. I wouldn't leave him in kennels as id be terrified there wouldn't be a dog to come back to. Tbh as heartbreaking as it is to even think about, it might be time to let him go :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Given your bad experience with this vet, I would suggest that you go and get a second opinion from another local small animal vet. You might regret not having this vets diagnosis confirmed, if you loose your dog.

If your dog is falling over all the time, and is distressed, having got that second opinion, you will have the information you need to make a decision about whether your dog is terminally ill. Its up to you and you alone to have your dog put to sleep, and a decision that you only can make.

I would not have this unsympathetic vet put your dog to sleep. Its a miserable enough experience without the vets understanding

Your dog is 13 years old. His illness sounds very sudden and grave. I would suggest that with this oldie, you get your second small animal vet check the dog - and then you will know if there is something that can be fixed with meds, or if there is a tumour/fatal diagnosis, or if you have to face the decision of putting him to sleep. The fact that you are leaving the country in 2 weeks is putting pressure on you to get a quick diagnosis/resolution. An awful decision to be in. Your dogs mustnt suffer, so its up to you to ensure that he doesnt - the final kindness/act of love you can show your dog

aonb wrote: »
    Given your bad experience with this vet, I would suggest that you go and get a second opinion from another local small animal vet. You might regret not having this vets diagnosis confirmed, if you loose your dog.

If your dog is falling over all the time, and is distressed, having got that second opinion, you will have the information you need to make a decision about whether your dog is terminally ill. Its up to you and you alone to have your dog put to sleep, and a decision that you only can make.

I would not have this unsympathetic vet put your dog to sleep. Its a miserable enough experience without the vets understanding

Your dog is 13 years old. His illness sounds very sudden and grave. I would suggest that with this oldie, you get your second small animal vet check the dog - and then you will know if there is something that can be fixed with meds, or if there is a tumour/fatal diagnosis, or if you have to face the decision of putting him to sleep. The fact that you are leaving the country in 2 weeks is putting pressure on you to get a quick diagnosis/resolution. An awful decision to be in. Your dogs mustnt suffer, so its up to you to ensure that he doesnt - the final kindness/act of love you can show your dog

Good suggestion Are you based anywhere near Laois or Carlow OP? I'd recommend a vet practice based in both, they are very compassionate.

• Advertisement

Sorry no replies for a while. So upset. To be fair I think I know deep down what needs to be done. I went down the treatment root for a previous younger dog and I'm still sorry I did. He had a miserable 2 weeks. Thing is though Claude is eating and drinking. Fact that he can't go for a walk must be making him miserable though. Gonna think on it until Monday.

Advertisement