Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog had bad convulsion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I can totally empathise with that, it's so sudden and shocking to be faced with these monumental decisions.

Maybe the steroids will help to relieve the symptoms a little and he'll rally a bit, just spoil him rotten for now. Buy him a nice big steak or something special!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Can't sleep, Claude very unsettled and constantly panting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

pilly wrote: »
    Can't sleep, Claude very unsettled and constantly panting.

I would definitely look to a small animal vet first and also talk to the rescue.
    Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

so heartbreaking and distressing for you, do if you can get him to another vet, just for your own peace of mind, your in our thoughts , best wishes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,586 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Very sorry to hear this OP. It's heart breaking. I know practical advice may be the hardest to take right now but hopefully I can be of some help.

Do you have a trusted friend or family member (that doesn't have an emotional attachment to Claude) that you can have tag along with you?

Ask yourself what quality of life will Claude have from here? How will meds help? Will the relieve Claude gets be enough to allow a quality of life? When unsupervised is there risks?

Then if you trust your vet ask your vet what he would do (reminding him that your emotional attachment to Claude means that you're very upset). Your friend or family member can then also give their input.

Remember that whatever happens will be in the best interest of Claude and you want there to be no suffering.

Feel for you OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭kathleen37

So sorry about Claude, Pilly.

Has there been any improvement on the meds the vet has given you now? So hard to say, but if Claude is still distressed at the moment, then is it worth him continuing to be in distress while you wait for a second opinion/scan/more tests etc?

Such a terrible situation. I hope Claude calmed and had a better night.

Take care

xx

I've spoken to the vet again, asked her straight out if he had the MRI would she treat him and she said no. She also says given her observations of him yesterday if he was her dog she'd have him put down.

I'm actually in agreement with her there because I've seen my other dog go through 2 weeks of hell to no avail.

Just so hard. And I'll have to do it on my own too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

So so sorry to hear the news, but at least you are doing whats best for him.

Take your time and enjoy his company, and give him lots of love.

We are all here with you to help you, so keep us updated!

More hugs!

Ask the vet to come to the house, Pilly. At least then you won't have to bother Claude getting him in the car etc.

Really stress to the vet that you don't want Claude put under more stress by travelling. Or phone another vet to see if they would come to the house to PTS.

It's special circumstances and my vets will come to the house to do this for us, specifically because it is less stressful for the animal.

I'm so sorry. Give Claude a hug. He'll aways be with you.

Take care of yourself
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

So sorry Pilly. Thinking of you and Claude. This is hard part of owning pets which never gets any easier :-(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Aw Pilly... How sad to read this update.
    From the symptoms and what the vet has concluded, he's probably right on the money. Whatever has happened has resulted in poor oul Claude being in distress... A dog that pants all night is a dog in discomfort.
    The suddenness of it is the worst, isn't it? The not having had a chance to get your head around it. It's deeply upsetting.
    One thing I have meant to say from the outset op, is to say how kind you were to adopt a 10 year old dog... This is an extraordinarily difficult age group to rehome, and I think it's wonderful that you gave this fella a second chance, and have given him 3 happy years of love and care. I bet he thinks the world of you :o
    Good luck op... Heartbroken for you :(

DBB wrote:
    Aw Pilly... How sad to read this update. From the symptoms and what the vet has concluded, he's probably right on the money. Whatever has happened has resulted in poor oul Claude being in distress... A dog that pants all night is a dog in discomfort. The suddenness of it is the worst, isn't it? The not having had a chance to get your head around it. It's deeply upsetting. One thing I have meant to say from the outset op, is to say how kind you were to adopt a 10 year old dog... This is an extraordinarily difficult age group to rehome, and I think it's wonderful that you gave this fella a second chance, and have given him 3 happy years of love and care. I bet he thinks the world of you Good luck op... Heartbroken for you

He's given me 3 of the best years ever, he owes me nothing. Just wish it could be longer.

faceman wrote:
    Then if you trust your vet ask your vet what he would do (reminding him that your emotional attachment to Claude means that you're very upset). Your friend or family member can then also give their input.

Spoke to my daughter who thinks it's the right thing to do because our last dog went through 2 weeks of hell on steroids and still had to be put down.

Thank you all support

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So so sorry Pillly. I echo what dbb says, so loving of you to give a home to an older dog, knowing your time could be shortened.

I know from your posts that you love Claude deeply and have given him a happy life. I hope that may bring you some comfort in the coming days.

Hugs to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Heartbreaking thread, I'm so sorry it was such terrible news.

I wanted to agree with the poster above that I think you were brilliant taking an older dog, it's great that you - and he - had those three years, even if it would have been so nice to have had another three or four. That's the sad thing about having pets I suppose.

I definitely think you're right to ensure that his comfort is the most important thing. I have a close family member (human!) who died of a brain tumor, and in her final weeks I often thought that pets are allowed a better death than humans. It seems brutal to say that, but it's true. I know my relative would not have wanted to spend her final weeks the way she did, and I still wish we could have spared her them.

nox001 wrote:
    If you are in the habit of believing dodgy tenants claims its unsafe with no grounds or proof for their claim.

It's at 430 folks say a prayer for me if your that way inclined or cross the fingers.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

pilly wrote: »
    It's at 430 folks say a prayer for me if your that way inclined or cross the fingers.

I hope it's peaceful.

Take care of yourself.

I'm the meantime I'm giving him all the meat and treats he wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Oh this is so sad. Will be thinking of you and Claude, Pilly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Really sorry to hear the news.
    Thinking of you :(

Will be thinking of you both.

Take care

x

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

So sorry pilly... Heart's feckin breaking for you :(
    Good boy Claude xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Thinking of you Pilly. He had a lovely three years with you, and that's the best thing you can give him.
    Best wishes and hugs. And snuggles for poor Claude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

Thinking of you and Claude. Sleep tight Claude x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Thinking of you and Claude. It's the right thing to do but that doesn't make it easy. My heart is heavy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

Whatever happens Pill, you are a truly a good person for taking a ten year old dog from the rescue. Claude is a lucky little Springer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

I was away and had no access to boards. Had been thinking about you both and wondering how you were getting on. I'm so sorry to see this outcome, but it's the kindest thing you could have done for your pal. Mind yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭sdp

so so sorry for you, may he rest easy now, thinking of you

Advertisement