Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland would have been a better place under British rule?

Options
  • 03-12-2016 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

Seeing as how our government is so incompetent makes you think if it would have been better to stay part of the UK. Ireland is so badly managed when you compare it to similar mainland countries like Switzerland and Belgium, Ireland comes out as a bit of a joke.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Johnboner wrote: »
    Seeing as how our government is so incompetent makes you think if it would have been better to stay part of the UK. Ireland is so badly managed when you compare it to similar mainland countries like Switzerland and Belgium, Ireland comes out as a bit of a joke.
    A brilliant and original argument, eloquently delivered.
    Kudos sir. :rolleyes:

(There's a thread below inquiring about the apparent decline in numbers using this forum.
    I think part of the answer is right here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Seeing as how our government is so incompetent makes you think if it would have been better to stay part of the UK.

If you're judging it on competence of government then look how Brexit has gone down, how they've treated their disabled in the last few years, how they've blood on their hands, many dead and disabled youth and a terrorist target painted on their backs due to being part of wars they had no business being in. On those basis I'd say no we wouldn't be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Take a look at the northeast during the 70's/80's if you'd like to see how Ireland would have fared under British rule.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

A brilliant and original argument, eloquently delivered.
    Kudos sir. :rolleyes:

(There's a thread below inquiring about the apparent decline in numbers using this forum.
    I think part of the answer is right here.)

Can say the same about your argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

..... Moves on, in search of a thread worth looking at .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Have you seen Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Why don't you go off and marry Switzerland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Yeah, well so is your face!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I doubt it would have done better. I'm not being anti british. It's just that everything in the UK is very London centric. It's become more so post war. We would have seen the same level of interest, if not less, than the north of england.

Yeah, well so is your face!

How do you know?

• Advertisement

Ted111 wrote: »
    Why don't you go off and marry Switzerland.

That's the plan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

How do you know?

Well if its anything like yer aul one.

I think we should hold a referendum, I know what I would vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I think we should hold a referendum, I know what I would vote for.

Atari Jaguar?

That's the plan :)

I believe most central european nation states wouldn't enter into a relationship with anyone with a severe attitude problem.

Have you got a plan for that?

Grayson wrote: »
    Atari Jaguar?

British rule over Ireland so we can become great again.

Ted111 wrote: »
    I believe most central european nation states wouldn't enter into a relationship with anyone with a severe attitude problem.

Have you got a plan for that?

It's a secret plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

The same UK that voted to leave the EU and will likely lose Scotland?
    The same Belgium that went almost two years without a government
    The same Switzerland that has a referendum anytime a politician decides what to have for lunch?

Nah, you're grand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

The OP is not wrong. I mean what have we really gained as an "independent state"? Was all the years of suffering and hardship really worth it?

It's a secret plan.

Just remember Switzerland is a grubby little, tax haven while we are....eh actually forget that.

• Advertisement

Collie D wrote: »
    The same UK that voted to leave the EU and will likely lose Scotland?
    The same Belgium that went almost two years without a government
    The same Switzerland that has a referendum anytime a politician decides what to have for lunch?

Nah, you're grand

Don't know how is it bad about what you said about Switzerland it's actually a good democracy where people actually have the power and stupid rules and regulations are not forced. If you would prefer to live in Nazi Germany then good for you but I don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

I love how OP compares us to Switzerland and Belgium... But not the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Pros
    • NHS.
    • Buses that run on time.
    • Cheap beer.

Cons
    • Heightened target for terrorist attacks.
    • Stupendous amounts of tax wasted on seemingly futile wars.
    • London-driven politics, with a situation similar to Scotland where a Tory government with little or no MP's in our country, would decide the fate of our country. Ergo, democracy eroded.
    • Neutrality ruined.
    • Diluted identity.
    • Probably being pulled out of the EU, whereas I suspect a majority of Irish people would have voted to stay.
    • Culture & Arts funding probably reduced greatly. Irish language well and truly dusted.
    • Every second generation, we'd see our streets turned into warzones in an effort to achieve independence.

I mean, I'm trying to weigh up the good and the bad - but as someone who doesn't drink and hates public transport, I think I'll stay independent for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

@ OP, the answer is already there. Northern Ireland is under British rule. So take a look at N-Iron and if you think the answer is yes or no then you have your answer.
    Pros's and cons.

I was amazed that the Scots didn't want to get out of British rule but they voted to stay. So read into that what you will.

I share your frustration with our lot. People like Leo Varadkar, Joan Burton, Mary Harney and Inda Kinneh have sucked the life out of my faith in Irish politicians over the years.
    But that's just me.

If we had been under British rule during that cow Maggy Thatcher's reign then I would have felt like killing her myself. So it's swings and roundabouts.

CaptainR wrote: »
    I love how OP compares us to Switzerland and Belgium... But not the UK.

It's more comparable due to size and population.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,324 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Rainman16 wrote: »
    The OP is not wrong. I mean what have we really gained as an "independent state"? Was all the years of suffering and hardship really worth it?

Self-governance which while you may think is not great is a lot better than someone in Westminster making decisions about a place and people they don't really give a **** about. The north and Scotland are already examples of this.

Collie D wrote: »
    Self-governance which while you may think is not great is a lot better than someone in Westminster making decisions about a place and people they don't really give a **** about. The north and Scotland are already examples of this.

Scotland had a referendum and decided to stay so your argument is invalid. They voted in favour of staying because they knew it's a smart decision to be part of the UK instead of being isolated like Ireland and having absolutely no advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Wouldn't it, perhaps, be a good idea to just set up a single "Ireland is Shìte!" thread where those obsessed with the topic can whitter back and forth to one another about it endlessly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Pros
    • NHS.
    • Cheap beer.

Cons
    • London-driven politics, with a situation similar to Scotland where a Tory government with little or no MP's in our country, would decide the fate of our country. Ergo, democracy eroded.
    • Neutrality ruined.
    • Diluted identity.
    • Probably being pulled out of the EU, whereas I suspect a majority of Irish people would have voted to stay.
    • Culture & Arts funding probably reduced greatly. Irish language well and truly dusted.
    • Every second generation, we'd see our streets turned into warzones in an effort to achieve independence.

I mean, I'm trying to weigh up the good and the bad - but as someone who doesn't drink and hates public transport, I think I'll stay independent for now.

What Neutrality ?

• Advertisement

Pros
    • NHS.
    • Cheap beer.

Cons
    • Neutrality ruined.
    • Diluted identity.

You are more likely to win the lottery or die from a lightning bolt than die from a terrorist attack in the UK.

Advertisement