Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland would have been a better place under British rule?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Johnboner wrote: »
    Scotland had a referendum and decided to stay so your argument is invalid. They voted in favour of staying because they knew it's a smart decision to be part of the UK instead of being isolated like Ireland and having absolutely no advantage.

Scotland will probably leave someday.

Of course we'd be worse off under British rule. Not one big IT company would be here. We'd be Wales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 rickfisher1988

Is this thread a joke?

Look at Northern Ireland. A tiny economy with no real companies dependent on a subsidy to keep it running.

We have created a dynamic and vibrant economy. Criticize politicians all your like, but we have a healthy and innovative economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

Scotland had a referendum and decided to stay so your argument is invalid. They voted in favour of staying because they knew it's a smart decision to be part of the UK instead of being isolated like Ireland and having absolutely no advantage.
    Yep, those canny Scots can see the advantages of seeing their country sucked dry of its vast oil wealth while across the north sea independent Norway uses its oil to create a huge sovereign wealth fund for its people.
    As I said, very "canny" those Scots.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Don't know how is it bad about what you said about Switzerland it's actually a good democracy where people actually have the power and stupid rules and regulations are not forced. If you would prefer to live in Nazi Germany then good for you but I don't.

Here's a list of all thirteen referenda in Switzerland this year alone. I'm quite happy to let decisions like the building of a road be decided upon by the Dept. of Transport or even the relevant County/City Council.

Only three of them had a turnout above 50%.

Not sure how wanting to elect representatives to make these decisions makes me a Nazi but I have already concluded you're more than likely on a windup.

Your OP said you were fed up of incompetent governments. Seems the Swiss government aren't even considered competent enough to make the most basic of decisions.

Popcorn. check
    sarcasm meter. operating
    Let the fun begin! :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

What about the hospitals being third world country level (probably worse) a man died a few backs because he was waiting at the hospital for so long.
    What about the Irish water flip flop. Millions wasted.
    What about the poor condition of our roads.
    What about our terrible public transport.
    What about our congestions.
    No proper cycle tracks.
    Extortionate motor taxes.
    Extortionate insurance prices.

Collie D wrote: »
    Here's a list of all thirteen referenda in Switzerland this year alone. I'm quite happy to let decisions like the building of a road be decided upon by the Dept. of Transport or even the relevant County/City Council.

Only three of them had a turnout above 50%.

Not sure how wanting to elect representatives to make these decisions makes me a Nazi but I have already concluded you're more than likely on a windup.

Your OP said you were fed up of incompetent governments. Seems the Swiss government aren't even considered competent enough to make the most basic of decisions.

Irish government certainly is!
    Just look at our amazing condition roads. Almost smashed my head in with a bicycle when drove over 20 pot holes. I have a car as well and pay over 1000 tax, and where does it go??? Oh yes Irish water which is disbanded what an amazing government I am certainly proud to be Irish. No wonder young people emigrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Scotland will probably leave someday.

Of course we'd be worse off under British rule. Not one big IT company would be here. We'd be Wales.

Would we get Gareth Bale?

Extortionate insurance prices.

Ah, those lovely British insurance companies are dying to get in to the Irish market to save us from being ripped off by the likes if Aviva, Axa, Aon, etc.

Ah, those lovely British insurance companies are dying to get in to the Irish market to save us from being ripped off by the likes if Aviva, Axa, Aon, etc.

Don't forget our rents which are an absolute bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

Would have had more of a say on the world stage if you remained in the Union. But then that damn yankee De Valera decided to cause mischief.

OK, you're good at finding problems. Give me a solution that the British government can use to solve this one.

Just looking for one answer. Not another tangent.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

You are more likely to win the lottery or die from a lightning bolt than die from a terrorist attack in the UK.

It's not just the deaths, it's the economic costs of each attacks. The london tube bombings hit the UK economy hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

I'm only a humble knave, but wasn't that tried before? :o

Would have had more of a say on the world stage if you remained in the Union. But then that damn yankee De Valera decided to cause mischief.

Yeah, because we had loads of say in things before the creation of the State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

Strange logic op, so because Ireland isn't as well run as Switzerland the brits should take over? Considering the north is disfunctional money pit would not a better option be for Ireland to become the 27th canton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

We wouldn't have won five Eurovision contests.
    You know why?
    Because we wouldn't exist ....in your post-apocalyptic, colonial nightmare world. We'd be a quaint off shore weekend destination for Jeremy Clarkson and his mates. We'd be sitting around drinking tea. Going to B&Q on Sunday before having a carvery with the wife and kids. Casual racism, oxford boat race, WMDs, pie and mash.

Are you happy Johnboner. You've destroyed the country.

OK, you're good at finding problems. Give me a solution that the British government can use to solve this one.

Just looking for one answer. Not another tangent.

That would take a long time and I am not paid to do if but here are few quick ones.
    Reduce the wages of all our politicians including taisoeach and president which interestingly get more than the US counterparts (Really more than the USA? Most powerful country in the world.
    Make companies like eflow which operate the m50 and make a ridiculous amount of money to give a large cut to the government which will be spent on Dublin roads, cycle tracks, public transport (they make insane amount of money).

Most of these problems could be solved by having a good government that makes good decisions, unlike ours (Irish water) first thing that comes to mind. If other nations can do it that means we can do it, just takes examples from all the successful countries (Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden etc.) These nations don't have insane amount of natural resources so they don't really have an advantage over us but they are well managed and people are happy. The attitude with "oh nothing we can do let's just accept this terrible situation and be happy with it" will not get you far.

Ted111 wrote: »
    We wouldn't have won five Eurovision contests.
    You know why?
    Because we wouldn't exist ....in your post-apocalyptic, colonial nightmare world. We'd be a quaint off shore weekend destination for Jeremy Clarkson and his mates. We'd be sitting around drinking tea. Going to B&Q on Sunday before having a carvery with the wife and kids. Casual racism, oxford boat race, WMDs, pie and mash.

Are you happy Johnboner. You've destroyed the country.

Couldn't be much worse than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

After the Easter Rising and the shooting of the leaders Ireland became ungovernable from a British POV ... it was the straw that broke the camels back.

• Advertisement

Ok, let's reduce TD salaries to average wage. That should keep us in paint fir road markings for a few weeks.

As for tolled roads. Look up "Tory governments" and "privatisation"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭AnGaelach

Couldn't be much worse than it is now.

There once was a John called boner,
    Who simply could not get over,
    His hard on for Saxons, and lack of satisfaction,
    With Ireland, so he fúcked off to Dover

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Like asking if Germany would be better off under Hitler's rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Strawberry cheesecake

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

TREMENDOUS TALENT

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

You should try London.

That would take a long time and I am not paid to do if but here are few quick ones.
    Reduce the wages of all our politicians including taisoeach and president which interestingly get more than the US counterparts (Really more than the USA? Most powerful country in the world.
    Make companies like eflow which operate the m50 and make a ridiculous amount of money to give a large cut to the government which will be spent on Dublin roads, cycle tracks, public transport (they make insane amount of money).

Most of these problems could be solved by having a good government that makes good decisions, unlike ours (Irish water) first thing that comes to mind. If other nations can do it that means we can do it, just takes examples from all the successful countries (Belgium, Switzerland, Sweden etc.) These nations don't have insane amount of natural resources so they don't really have an advantage over us but they are well managed and people are happy. The attitude with "oh nothing we can do let's just accept this terrible situation and be happy with it" will not get you far.

You started out wanting us to be run from Britain but now you want the Belgians, Swiss or Swedes to take over.

These countries probably have water charges and the country probably accepts it.

You started out wanting us to be run from Britain but now you want the Belgians, Swiss or Swedes to take over.

These countries probably have water charges and the country probably accepts it.

Germany was better off under Hitler rule, sounds ridiculous but it is true. That is until hitler decided to invade Poland. German economy was absolutely terrible but he brought it back up.

You should try London.

London has twice the population of Ireland.

• Advertisement

Ok, let's reduce TD salaries to average wage. That should keep us in paint fir road markings for a few weeks.

As for tolled roads. Look up "Tory governments" and "privatisation"

I could name things all night

Advertisement