Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should parents stop pretending that Santa is real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

errr hello SPOILER ALERT

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

It was my favourite time as a child, waiting for Santa on xmas eve. So many good memories there.

When I learned the truth at 10 or so it had no negative impact on me whatsoever, I was grateful to have had the experience when it lasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the bad b@stards are the types who only give the child wooden toys and a hand knitted jumper as presents

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Just because all of you are miserable bas*ards that's no excuse to destroy children's childhood.

Fu*k sake this thread should be deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    Coming from Italy, one of the "rules" that there were about Santa when we were kids was that "he" only brought one "big" present per child; It worked very well - my parents had modest financial availability during most of my childhood, but I never remember thinking that some kids in the neighbourhood or my class had "more" from Santa; Of course, thinking back there'd be massive differences with the value of presents "Santa" brought, but you (luckily) don't really understand that when you're 6 :)

Unfortunately, in my primary school, there was children from a millionaire family, various siblings and cousins, who threw their weight around a lot due to the family wealth, and they would very vocal in telling everyone how expensive their Christmas presents were. Awful family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭DredFX

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Just because all of you are miserable bas*ards that's no excuse to destroy children's childhood.

Uh, I think even a quick skim over the last few pages will show that most people agree that there's nothing wrong with children believing in Santa.

Chill out. Google some kittens.

JeffKenna wrote: »

I had a very happy childhood, without Santa in it!

"If they (parents) are capable of lying about something so special and magical.."

This is the part that gets me. Surely it's only special and magical because it's not true. The magical part is the kind man who uses flying reindeer and secret powers to get to every child on Christmas and leave them lovely presents.

Surely it's better to lie and create that special magic than tell the truth and deprive your kids of something so amazing.

Should we banish all the magical things?
    My nieces have fairy doors. They leave the fairies little notes and make them tiny furniture from paper and play dough? The parents take the gifts away at night and in the morning they go crazy with excitement thinking their fairies took them. Is this just setting them up for a lifetime of resentment towards those awful parents for allowing them to be enchanted!?

"If they (parents) are capable of lying about something so special and magical.."

This is the part that gets me. Surely it's only special and magical because it's not true. The magical part is the kind man who uses flying reindeer and secret powers to get to every child on Christmas and leave them lovely presents.

Surely it's better to lie and create that special magic than tell the truth and deprive your kids of something so amazing.

EXACTLY! The magic was in the fairytale.

'Dey tuk our Santies ''

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You're not really depriving them of anything. They'll get the presents anyway they'll just associate them with their parents instead of a mythical creature.

We live in a consumerist society, this is a consumer holiday. The whole thing revolves around buying things, getting presents with a bit of effort put into inspiring a little bit of generosity to giving other people presents. But there's no priority given to generosity.

It doesn't teach our kids anything other than believe in "magic" and good things might happen, don't work hard, just sit there and look pretty. Yeah, it's not going to turn them into serial killers but I think society is so deep in this hole we can't see how hollow this holiday has become.

We spend months purchasing stuff to create this "magical" scene for christmas day, then it's all junked. It's the ideal holiday for a society that consumes natural resources to live in a fantasy land, all the time blaming big business and government for ruining the planet.

I have no doubt Current Christmas traditions will be seen as obscene by the generations after us that have to live in squalor because we ruined everything to bring "magic" to self absorbed children.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Amazing the strong reactions to people who do NOT do the Santa thing. Some quite judgmental and barbed remarks being flung. When in fact generally it is no big deal really. The parents who do not do it, simply do not do it, and the world doesn't end and they are not the awful people some here would want them to be.

I am divided on the issue to myself. So I would never presume to tell other parents what they "should" do or not do like the thread title suggests.

I just know that I myself do not do the Santa thing with my children. I see no need or real benefit to doing it at all. So I simply do not do it.

I never presume to tell other parents they shouldn't do it, but I do have to say that when other parents..... usually on line not to my face........ hear I do not do it.... the kind of things they sometimes say in response is pure unadulterated nonsense.

Everything from "abusing my children in the aim of furthering my anti religion agenda" to "taking the magic and joy of Christmas away" to "destroying the children's imagination and fantasy life"..... not one thing they say holds up to any scrutiny or the remotest application of intellect or is remotely actually true.

I suspect this is mostly from what could be called the "Diverging from the Narrative" effect. Because what they spew makes little sense otherwise.

But no I do not judge anyone who DOES do the Santa Narrative, nor do I have any issue with my parents for doing ti with me. I simply see no reason why I should do it myself, so I do not.

I think what these "scientists" are saying is hyperbolic at best. But the core point made.... that children look to us with trust as a source of truth and learning and guidance..... and this can all be shaken when they find out you lied to them about a large chunk of their world view...... is not something I would simply dismiss with the wave of a hand either.

Well see that would be the crux of it for me. I engage in make believe with the kids ALL THE TIME. Like daily. When you write something like you do above you make it sound like the rest of the year is entirely devoid of such pleasures, and sure why not let a bit of it in at Christmas to off set the desolation of the rest of the year.

Make believe and imagination and wonder and magic and fun and joy is RIFE on a daily basis in my house with my kids. So I simply have no requirement to bring some commercial pre-packaged nonsense version into my house annually in order to substitute something that is already there.

And what is more all of those things are attained perfectly well without once ever having to convince the children that the thing we are engaging with is real. In fact quite often when we get really carried away with whatever narrative we are playing with..... it is them that remind ME that it is all make believe.... not the other way around. Which is always funny to watch when we are lost in a fantasy narrative and they feel it is me that might be taking it to seriously and believing it to be more than a game :) Cool kids they are.

And I think that is a well meant and heartwarming foundation for the error you make above. I think a LOT of people like you have heart warming and lovely memories of it.

So when they think of parents NOT doing the santa thing they simply are imagining THEIR childhood simply MINUS the santa stuff. And they they assume that is what it must be like in the house of "the other".

But the reality is actually much different. It is not the same simply minus the Santa thing. We fill that "vacuum" with all kinds of other sources and modes of joy and wonder and play and imagination. And my children will likely look back on their Christmases with EVERY bit of gratitude and warmth that you do.

The sole and ONLY difference will be that nothing I employed to achieve that, unlike in your own childhood, required that my children actually believe something patently untrue to get there.

And as far as I can see nothing of the sort is true, and I hope the descriptions and corrections to your impression above benefit your judgement call in some way.

They really do. So I have never felt compelled to take that from them by convincing them it is real. Allow them the exploration of fantasy by all means. I know I certainly do. Believing the fantasy real is simply not a requirement children actually have. I fear many people assume it is however. Quite falsely.

Yea one thing I have learned as a parent is that what children seek more than anything else is some kind of "control" over their world.

Much of their otherwise unusual behaviors and reactions can be perfectly well understood when you parse it through that little fact.

And most of the best parental advice I have ever received or heard is usually the advice that is grounded on giving the child the control, or the impression of control, over their world and environment.

But there is a multitude of ways to achieve that without having to sell them fantasy narratives.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is asked time and time again, literally during every Q+A sessions he ever does after his talks, how to stimulate childrens interest in science and wonder at the world and the universe.

His answer is generally that children ALREADY have that. It is adults that are the problem because they have lost it.

One problem, I suspect, is that the mystery and wonder dries up if we are selling children solely things like Santa. Fantasy narratives that become the source of their wonder which they eventually grow out of and leave them with..... what?

So one thing I strive for myself, and I speak only for myself, is to stimulate mystery and wonder and excitement from the REAL WORLD rather than narratives they will grow out of. And it seems to work pretty well. The real world is awash with sources of wonder and amazement. No one needs to reach for the pre-packaged stuff if they do not want to. Their children are not going to lose out for it's absence.

There is another user on boards who has had some AMAZING descriptions of doing similar with his children. He, for example, Internet ordered one of those flowers that flowers relatively fast. Like in the right light it goes from closed bud to open flower in a mere minute or two. So he sits with his children one night around the closed up flower and turns on a particularly bright bulb.... and his kids he reports sat in wild eyed wonder and astonishment watching the flower and stalk shake with the effort of the flower blooming quickly before their eyes.

Or in another post recently he described cutting tiny windows into developing hens eggs and covering the hole with transparent tape. So now daily he and his kids observe and note the progress of the developing embryo into a fluffy yellow chick.

Now THAT is mystery and wonder and excitement and awe and imagination and beauty all rolled into one. I doubt his kids are going to look back on things like that and say "Awwww but when we got our gifts at christmas you did not inject wonder into our lives by telling them a magic fat man brought them!"

No I reckon they will be EQUALLY grateful to everyone else here who has those santa memories. Perhaps, I can at least dare to SUSPECT..... more so.

Who is NOT doing that exactly? I see nothing wrong with scientists and others like them putting out the information saying "Look, this thing here could be harmful for the following reasons......." and then leaving you to make YOUR choices.

Ensuring you have the best available data and evidence WHILE you make your choices is the exact opposite of impinging on those choices. Merely take the information, or leave it, as you wish. Why does anyone there need to proceed on a vector away from you in a sexual manner?

I do not know anyone who resented them LONG TERM, but I knew quite a few who resented them AT THE TIME.

Predominantly these were the children who believed for the longest. And their resentment stemmed from the fact that they suddenly realize all the other kids were in on the "truth" and they were not, and that sometimes those other kids were even laughing at them for their continuing belief.

And that social embarrassment and anger has to be directed somewhere, and naturally I guess that target usually ended up being the people who maintained the lie. Which is usually the parents.

But I certainly do not know anyone, I think, who failed to quickly recover from it and get over it. No LONG TERM resentment that I know of.

Funny though how "musts" like this actually turn out to not just be false, but the exact opposite is true. `

Why?

And also how can you "take away" something a child never had?

Hah I will see you that one and raise you the fact my brothers wife up to about age 20 thought that stars at night are the souls in heaven looking down.

I look forward to reading your book.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It doesn't teach our kids anything other than believe in "magic" and good things might happen, don't work hard, just sit there and look pretty.

They're children. Children are far from the epitome of maturity and something like getting gifts at Christmas is not going to teach them those values by default. Unless their parents are flagrant gobshytes, which is a separate issue entirely.

Your repeated mentions about consumerism and its damage to this planet are making me believe that your agenda is more about tree-hugging than teaching children anything of worth.

Again, they're children. If they grow up to be selfish crapstains, Christmas would not be a variable that any rational human being will consider.

DredFX wrote: »
    They're children. Children are far from the epitome of maturity and something like getting gifts at Christmas is not going to teach them those values by default. Unless their parents are flagrant gobshytes, which is a separate issue entirely.
    Yes, Children are a blank canvas, they'll be whatever we instruct them to be. At the moment we're instructing them that believing in santa and getting presents is important.

I really just don't see why we have to resort to fantasy and bribery with children. The world is a wonderful place and empathy is a skill we badly need to relearn in today's society.
    Your repeated mentions about consumerism and its damage to this planet are making me believe that your agenda is more about tree-hugging than teaching children anything of worth.
    People keep going on about how it's "magic" and special warm feelings. But the whole thing has been hijacked by consumerism. You can't deny that. We have ads on TV yanking on our heart strings promoting an ideal that doesn't exist just to get us to buy stuff. I think that needs to be pointed out because some people don't seem to get that this time of year is when advertising agencies and shops go into hyper selling mode and will use every trick in the book. They get so excited about it they pre ejaculate christmas all over their facilities in because they can't wait to take every penny in your pocket..
    Again, they're children. If they grow up to be selfish crapstains, Christmas would not be a variable that any rational human being will consider.
    Of course it's a variable, they spend month thinking about it, anything you think about for a long time get's it's own section hardwired into your brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

ScumLord and Dred FX having a chat about Santa....

.....only on boards.ie

:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

_Jamie_ wrote: »
    My husband's brother believed until the first year of secondary school. :o

He did yeah, I was 7 and my brother 6 when our mother got a hint that we didn't believe anymore, that was the end of Santa in our house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Can these fcukwits perhaps consider doing something useful with their funding?

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He did yeah, I was 7 and my brother 6 when our mother got a hint that we didn't believe anymore, that was the end of Santa in our house.

That's nice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Can these fcukwits perhaps consider doing something useful with their funding?

Who? Mr and Mrs Claus?

• Advertisement

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    ScumLord and Dred FX having a chat about Santa....

.....only on boards.ie

:-)

The result of having nothing better to do until you're hungry enough to cook dinner.
    Yes, Children are a blank canvas, they'll be whatever we instruct them to be. At the moment we're instructing them that believing in santa and getting presents is important.

Yes, for the months of November and December, because hey they're kids omg they're so excited but they're on their best behaviour because no gifts if they're bold.
    I really just don't see why we have to resort to fantasy and bribery with children. The world is a wonderful place and empathy is a skill we badly need to relearn in today's society.

They're kids. I know I keep saying it, but it's true. They're unlikely to have the same openness and patience as an adult, so sometimes you have to give haranguing and discourse a kick, and just employ some fantastical means to teach them right from wrong. It's how a lot of them learn, like through TV shows, picture books, games.

Most adults on this message board underwent the awful bribery and fantasy-seeking Christmases that you're concerned about, and they've turned out fine because, again, they were children, had a bit of fun, and probably had good parents to discipline them in the event that they got troublesome about something, be it at Christmas or some other event.
    People keep going on about how it's "magic" and special warm feelings. But the whole thing has been hijacked by consumerism. You can't deny that. We have ads on TV yanking on our heart strings promoting an ideal that doesn't exist just to get us to buy stuff. I think that needs to be pointed out because some people don't seem to get that this time of year is when advertising agencies and shops go into hyper selling mode and will use every trick in the book. They get so excited about it they pre ejaculate christmas all over their facilities in because they can't wait to take every penny in your pocket..

So has every other major event through the year. Easter, Halloween, summer vacation, back to school, birthdays. Yes, it can get loud and abrasive, but that's how capitalism is. That's how businesses are. That's how people are. That's how economies are. And, of course, that's how individuals like you and I can earn our wages and head out to the stores to buy those wonderful gifts for our kids and relatives. Not forgetting the big dinner.
    Of course it's a variable, they spend month thinking about it, anything you think about for a long time get's it's own section hardwired into your brain.

Until they're eleven and they're told that all along it was Mammy and Daddy, and they cry for a little but then get on with their lives. Most decent people don't reach adulthood believing that they can just sit tight at Christmas and get free gifts because Santa used to do it. There's plenty of generosity abound at this time of the year. Those who are selfish and who don't gift, however, were probably raised improperly rather than poisoned by conniving Christmas.

DredFX wrote: »
    Most adults on this message board underwent the awful bribery and fantasy-seeking Christmases that you're concerned about, and they've turned out fine because, again, they were children, had a bit of fun, and probably had good parents to discipline them in the event that they got troublesome about something, be it at Christmas or some other event.
    Do we end up fine though? It's hard to tell from the inside. Where did Millennials come from? The people who thought they could vote for Brexit then change their mind afterwards? The children in America who won't accept the democratic process that didn't go their way?

Maybe it's about time we took a look at our behaviour as a society and made some hard decisions to prevent us turning into ignorant buttercups that winge when we don't get what we want.

Personally I left childhood with a complete disrespect for authority, I don't trust anyone in power, I don't trust our legal system, I don't trust our political system, I don't trust our big economic players. They're all full of excrement and when we come close to calling them out on it they just show us something shiny and we're distracted enough to ignore everything wrong they do.

Do we end up fine though? It's hard to tell from the inside. Where did Millennials come from? The people who thought they could vote for Brexit then change their mind afterwards? The children in America who won't accept the democratic process that didn't go their way?

Maybe it's about time we took a look at our behaviour as a society and made some hard decisions to prevent us turning into ignorant buttercups that winge when we don't get what we want.

I agree with what you say about how capricious our voters have become and how shady our governments continue to be.

But... Christmas was a potential factor in all of that? I'd sooner figure that people have conflicting interests and can't reach a middle ground because mankind in general just kind of sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Advbrd

I think parents would be better off stopping pretending that the sky fairy is real. At least Santa brings presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Personally I left childhood with a complete disrespect for authority, I don't trust anyone in power, I don't trust our legal system, I don't trust our political system, I don't trust our big economic players. They're all full of excrement and when we come close to calling them out on it they just show us something shiny and we're distracted enough to ignore everything wrong they do.
    Are you saying that societies who don't have Santa are more rational? Like I don't know North Korea or Saudi Arabia?

You want people stop being buttercups? All you need i s a bit of a war and general misery and people will loose sense of entitlement and start to value most basic things. I prefer to be surrounded by buttercups though.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Are you saying that societies who don't have Santa are more rational?
    No.
    You want people stop being buttercups? All you need i s a bit of a war and general misery and people will loose sense of entitlement and start to value most basic things.
    Maybe people are getting a sense of entitlement from spending the informative years of their life expecting a magic fat man to appear in their house once a year and give them free stuff?

It's not even like we have the traditional St Nick. We have an amalgamation of advertising campaigns that got mish mashed together into an icon of consumerism.

It's not so much I have a problem with Christmas, it's people under the spell of an advertising onslaught calling buying stuff a magical time of year and then getting upset when others won't go along with the nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I don't think it is harmless fun though. There is plenty of studies that find children develop their spending habits at a very young age. I dont think it is particularly helpful for someone to be telling their 10/11 year old that a non-existent man brings them whatever they want rather than their parents hard work. How is a child supposed to be conservative around money when they dont know where it is being spent?

It is important to keep Christmas magical etc. But it is more important that your children learns from a young age how to manage money. Christmas is a few days a year, bad spending habits **** you up for life.

What a load of bull****.In reality children of that age don't really know what hard work is or what their parents go through to pay for everything so they would have no appreciation at that age for the hard work that is put by their parents to pay for everything.You're idea around it creating good spending habits is equally daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Ever year this thread.

Leave kids be kids.

No harm or foul with Santa. Lovely time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

It was my favourite time as a child, waiting for Santa on xmas eve. So many good memories there.

When I learned the truth at 10 or so it had no negative impact on me whatsoever, I was grateful to have had the experience when it lasted.

Oh I remember the breathless excitement and anticipation on Christmas Eve before bedtime :)

Anybody I know who believed in Santy as a child (which was basically everyone in my life) remembers it fondly, with of course a sense of disappointment when the Big Reveal was confirmed, with the realisation of the older child they had now become that of course it COULDN'T be real.

Is it any worse than scaring a child having a tantrum that 'The Man' will come and throw them out of the place if they don't stop screaming?

The amount of people I hear threatening their child with The Man.......and he's never a kindly man bringing gifts either...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

My father is old enough to be a millennial's grandfather and he believed in Santa until he was 11. It's not a new thing.

Advertisement