Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should parents stop pretending that Santa is real?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I've never heard of anyone resenting their parents over Santa. Most kids figure it out themselves.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Resent my parents?

On the contrary.

I am so grateful for all the memories of magical Christmases.

I still believe in santa and always will.

So whats Santa bringing this year Whoopsy?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

This is the kind of thing that crops up when you run out of sabre-tooth tigers to run from. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

He's no less believable than God and yet we're made to swear an oath on the bible and in weddings and such. Let kids be kids!

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

Those psychologists must have had a **** childhood.
    I don't know anybody who resents their parents because they believed in santa. I have fond memories of Christmas in my childhood and have nothing but love for my parents as they tried to make my Christmas special.

In the article it talks about a North pole intelligence gathering service. What planet are they on that they think that this is something a 7 or 8 year old worries about.
    Sure if they worry about that wait till they start thinking about religion. The worst santa would do is give you a lump of coal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

My brother (older by 6 years) gave the game away one Christmas, but I had found out the year before but kept quiet about it. :D

Funny, the nice pressies dried up after that. :(

None of my own believe any more...:o:

...which is good as the youngest is 17. :pac:

But now we have to keep up the charade one more time, as our 3 year-old grandson will be in the house on Christmas night. :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

I found out when seeing me dad putting together the brother's train set.

Says he "I'm Father Christmases apprentice".

Not falling for that one!!!

Yes. I told the younger brother. I'm evil :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

If Santa Claus was good enough for our ancestors 10,000 years ago, it's good enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

No.It's a bit of harmless fun that shouldn't be over analysed by people who could be doing something productive.

I don't think it is harmless fun though. There is plenty of studies that find children develop their spending habits at a very young age. I dont think it is particularly helpful for someone to be telling their 10/11 year old that a non-existent man brings them whatever they want rather than their parents hard work. How is a child supposed to be conservative around money when they dont know where it is being spent?

It is important to keep Christmas magical etc. But it is more important that your children learns from a young age how to manage money. Christmas is a few days a year, bad spending habits **** you up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,887 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Children love presents.

Fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭Goya

I budget very well - always have done, and I believed in Santa until I was 10. It's up to parents to teach this (and the person themselves). Santa doesn't have to have a bearing on this at all.

Wow the bit in the article about the North Pole intelligence gathering :pac: looks like an Onion satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Being a sceptic since a very early age, I basically ridiculed my parents for suggesting that an enormously fat man could fit down a narrow chimney.

Also, I caught them putting Christmas presents under the tree.

I didn't really believe in Santa once I got past the learning to talk phase.

We're all very impressed with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

No I don't think people would resent their parents for letting them believe that Santa is real. I have some really great Christmas memories. I think I just started to cop on at about 9 or 10 and then said it to them and it really wasn't that shocking.

Part of growing up is slowly realising that your parents are people too and not the "guardians of wisdom and truth" but just doing their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

A friend of mine was telling me what her son wanted from "Santa" this year.
    In quotes because he's a teenager and doesn't believe anyway.

Honestly, the sheer cost of the items alone was probably more than my disposable income for the year :D

When I was growing up, Santa got me A present, and a surprise if I was good!
    I was always good! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I've just had my yearly call with my Dad asking how Santa will know I'm not at home but at my Dad's house this Xmas.

I'm 31.

31 years of lies and hurt and awesome, awesome presents.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As far as I can tell the article is all philosophising about what "could" or "might" happen, with absolutely no evidence to back up any of their suggestions. Go and gather some evidence before making suggestions about what should and shouldn't be done.

The fact that they think a child will consider an "intelligence gathering agency" goes to show how utterly out of touch these people are. Children don't think at scale. How does he do it? Magic, innit.

The one thing I find a bit depressing though is the amount of people who say that the "good" presents dried up when they found about Santa. It's like the parents felt obliged to stretch themselves to maintain the illusion, but when it was gone just reverted to socks and crap.
    I always got decent pressies, when Santa left the pressies just became more focussed because I was asked exactly what I wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gossamer

Do children in this day and age still believe in Santa anyway? More-so in the 5-11 bracket.The modern world continues to chip away at innocence and with such ease of access to the internet, I kind of thought that at this stage it was an act put on. Mostly to wrangle a decent present out of their parents that they wouldn't have a chance of getting otherwise. Or maybe I'm just a cynic.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

osarusan wrote: »
    If Santa Claus was good enough for our ancestors 10,000 years ago, it's good enough for me.

Huh? I thought Coca Cola invented him

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Flimpson wrote: »
    I budget very well - always have done, and I believed in Santa until I was 10. It's up to parents to teach this (and the person themselves). Santa doesn't have to have a bearing on this at all.

Wow the bit in the article about the North Pole intelligence gathering :pac: looks like an Onion satire.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest.
    Perosnally, I'm from a country that doesn't do Santa, so it was never a big issue in our house. Santa was one of those odd yankee things you'd see in Hollywood films, nothing more.

But to believe in it until you're 10? I had my first period when I was 10...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm not sure how I feel about this, to be honest.
    Perosnally, I'm from a country that doesn't do Santa, so it was never a big issue in our house. Santa was one of those odd yankee things you'd see in Hollywood films, nothing more.

But to believe in it until you're 10? I had my first period when I was 10...

Well Merry Bloody Christmas to you too !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

vicwatson wrote: »
    Huh? I thought Coca Cola invented him

Well yeah.
    But the stone age people had coca cola in the caves ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Winterlong wrote: »
    Well yeah.
    But the stone age people had coca cola in the caves ya know.

The amount of buzz kills around here.. Christ.. must have been miserable and joyless around Christmas time in your houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

newacc2015 wrote: »
    I don't think it is harmless fun though. There is plenty of studies that find children develop their spending habits at a very young age. I dont think it is particularly helpful for someone to be telling their 10/11 year old that a non-existent man brings them whatever they want rather than their parents hard work. How is a child supposed to be conservative around money when they dont know where it is being spent?

It is important to keep Christmas magical etc. But it is more important that your children learns from a young age how to manage money. Christmas is a few days a year, bad spending habits **** you up for life.

My parents had to send the money to Santy for the presents we wanted.

Nothing ever went on our list without checking if it was OK with mam and dad first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

The reason why the myth of Santa Claus works so well is that children fucking love make believe. :) They want to believe it. Even when they are getting to an age to deduce that he might not exist, the belief goes on for a few more years. I remember feeling sceptical once I hit around 8, but on Christmas morning that year, I still felt that excitement when I saw my presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Lou Scaunt

You'd want to be some miserable prick to even suggest taking that away from children.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

My parents had to send the money to Santy for the presents we wanted.

Nothing ever went on our list without checking if it was OK with mam and dad first.

Exactly, I was the same.

I remember when I was old enough to think like this (probably a few months before I stopped believing), I said f**k it, I'll make a list of everything I want, sure its Santa why wouldn't he bring everything.

The list of 20 something from Playstation games to a new United jersey got fairly diminished after a chat with the parents at the time. Pick one/two and Santa will be able to bring, all other children needs presents too.

The magic of that Christmas morning used to be amazing, still have home videos and seeing other kids so excited on Christmas morning is class.

Sure for a birthday or whatever, kids can get presents but there's a certain feel good 'magic' factor about Christmas, Santa Claus and everything else.

Stop pretending Santa isn't real?? My a**e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭_Jamie_

My husband's brother believed until the first year of secondary school. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

givyjoe wrote: »
    The amount of buzz kills around here.. Christ.. must have been miserable and joyless around Christmas time in your houses.

What has that got to do with my post?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Winterlong wrote: »
    What has that got to do with my post?!

I had no idea what you were on about there.. seems like I accidentally quoted your post. My bad. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Pherekydes wrote: »
    But now we have to keep up the charade one more time, as our 3 year-old grandson will be in the house on Christmas night. :confused:

Enjoy it, it'll be great to have Santa back in your house again :)

Advertisement