Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Grand Tour

• 18-11-2016 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

watched first episode, very like top gear. lot of cheesey scripted bits.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Watching it now. Fair play to the Hot House Flowers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

Yeah, great publicity for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Tried to stop myself but couldn't.

I agree with the scripted bit but it was a really good show.

I know what Clarkson did was reprehensible and the Beeb had little choice, but the programme brought in (hundreds) of millions into their coffers. I'd say that there are more than a few BBC executives screaming at the telly right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Just finished watching it.. enjoyed it but the stuff with the americans was very awkward and drawn out

hope they don't hold onto the "'my car is the best yours is crap' ...actually I really like this car but don't let him know that." it has been so stale for years

cinematography is great...

am I mad for thinking that chris harris could be on this too doing small segments.. he is able to actually appreciate the technology of cars without being forced to apologise after saying anything even remotely technical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very cheesy and scripted in places, but i thought it was OK. Hopefully it gets better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ebola Joke
    Communist jibes
    a good crack at americans
    Insulting ferrari
    Clarkson being clarkson.

It had everything I wanted. Looking forward to more .

I thought they were bringing back the very first Stig to do these laps and things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I haven't seen it yet but I'm delighted the lads are back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Vicxas wrote: »
    I thought they were bringing back the very first Stig to do these laps and things?

They'll end up paying any money they earned from Amazon to BBC if they do, it's their IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

testicles wrote: »

Thats his name, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭duffman3833

just watched it, enjoyed it, love when they take the mick out of each other. They need to come up with something better than slagging Americans for 5min or talking bout james may speeding ticket, get car news on or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

kindalen wrote: »
    watched first episode, very like top gear. lot of cheesey scripted bits.

If ever a line summed up Top Gear, thats it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

I'll watch this right after I've caught up with the latest Simpsons episode.

Seriously, TG hasn't been watchable in a long time.

JC disgracing himself and the resulting money/ publicity has given the format a shot in the arm, but once it's realized it's the same unfunny overscripted dumbed down ****, who knows.

For me it's up there with Celebrity Juice... or a programme about cars starring Jordan... Tits Jordan, that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'll watched this right after I've caught up with the latest Simpsons episode.

Seriously, TG hasn't been watchable in a long time.

Agree, that lad culture is so old now.

NIMAN wrote: »

Yup. Everyone wearing ill fitting denim, and having to apologise if you know anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

NIMAN wrote: »

Ahh I think it still holds up , its nice to see three lads having the craic at each others expense and not keeping up with the idiotic PC crap.

Ahh I think it still holds up , its nice to see three lads having the craic at each others expense and not keeping up with the idiotic PC crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hope you're right. Just have the kettle on before I sit down to enjoy The GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭goochy

Fill me in on the hothouse flower thing? Not a fan of that laddish carry on so won't fill bad not seeing it. Prefer the new top gear that focuses on cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just occurred to me that it was TG before and now its GT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

goochy wrote: »
    Fill me in on the hothouse flower thing? Not a fan of that laddish carry on so won't fill bad not seeing it. Prefer the new top gear that focuses on cars

The opening sequence had Hothouse Flowers playing "I Can See Clearly Now" in the middle of the desert infront of a crowd while the 3 lads drove 3 Mustangs in.

goochy wrote: »

The opening sequence had Hothouse Flowers playing "I Can See Clearly Now" in the middle of the desert infront of a crowd while the 3 lads drove 3 Mustangs in.

Actually sounds pretty cool... must resist urge to watch...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Where are ye watching this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

Bazzy wrote: »
    Where are ye watching this?

Bbc1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

just occurred to me that it was TG before and now its GT

It's The Grand Tour so TGT or Top Gear Two if you like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Haven't seen it, look forward to the cars all the same. I just look at it as being two car shows instead of one, so it's win-win as far as I'm concerned.

It was getting more predictable and a bit jaded at times, but I still wouldn't miss it.

(Glad Chris Evans is gone off the original BTW.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

Camera angles and stuff is unreal. I'm loving it

That window looks very like a screen (??)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,928 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I watched it earlier - loved it. Fantastic picture quality even in HD so can only imagine what 4K must look like and the vastly increased budget is obvious! :)

For those complaining, it was actually very "car heavy" in the first episode but yet again, it's NOT strictly a car show (and hasn't been for a long time!) If you want that, go watch Fifth Gear or Youtube videos or something (seriously, it's like complaining that an Arnie action flick didn't give you deep thoughts by the end!)

It's everything "new" Top Gear lost - car-related banter and genuine friendship between the 3 lads that the BBC couldn't replace even with double the cast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That American audience were cringeworthy. Other than that it was quite good and entertaining, the BBC bosses must be crying in their tea right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,411 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like there's some challenges coming in the upcoming episodes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Bazzy

had my fire stick on the wrong source on the tv ;)

Very impressed, Plenty of car action and reviews and plenty of messing as well

Yes the scripting element was evident but it was good none the same

The "PC" was gone and it was good - "permission to say cock" was as far as it went in the BBC

Very good plenty of driving and car action shots

A savage amount of money spent on it I can imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,901 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jebus those cars are some job. shows looking good

160 million it cost to make I think.
    I remember reading about Jeremy's old house being blown up and the locals were complaining. That's what it was about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

I enjoyed that. It is what it is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It's exactly where the old Top Gear left off, so it's an absolute winner in my book. Yes, it's all the old gags and stuff and yes it's clearly like the old Top Gear - but that's the whole point.

Clarkson may be a complete and utter twat but boy do he and the three amigos know how to make a properly entertaining show about cars. I subscribed to Amazon Prime just so I could watch it, and it's worth every last penny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭bs2014

Just watched it, the opening scene with "I can see clearly now" would cheer anybody up and great visuals....some changes but I think the changes to the stig and track ect were needed as even the bbc clarkson version was running out of steam....essentially amazon have reengineered top gear to do what the bbc were unable to do with the old top gear when Jezza and Chris evans were in it....happy out

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

I found the celebrity section genuinely funny and refreshing.

I hope it continues like that, the celebrity section in Top Gears was always boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I signed up too and it all worked! I thought we have some geographical restriction here at least for another while?

Well when I say it worked, the only place I got it working was on the laptop web browser. There's no compatibile phone / iPad / Apple TV / smart tv app that works here with it, none that I can find. WTF. Amazon make life even more difficult than Apple. If one has to watch the content on a laptop or go faffing around with trying to connect the laptop to the tv, it's a serious drawback. Hopefully this will improve...

Only watched the first 5 mins of the show so far.... and boy is it good to see those 3 lads back on screen! Fair play to Liam O'Maonlai and the Hothouse Flowers for getting top billing!

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I signed up too and it all worked! I thought we have some geographical restriction here at least for another while?

Well when I say it worked, the only place I got it working was on the laptop web browser. There's no compatibile phone / iPad / Apple TV / smart tv app that works here with it, none that I can find. WTF. Amazon make life even more difficult than Apple. If one has to watch the content on a laptop or go faffing around with trying to connect the laptop to the tv, it's a serious drawback. Hopefully this will improve...

Only watched the first 5 mins of the show so far.... and boy is it good to see those 3 lads back on screen! Fair play to Liam O'Maonlai and the Hothouse Flowers for getting top billing!

Amazon fire stick should do the trick through parcel motel etc.

But the geo limits should be removed early December

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

ads20101 wrote: »
    Amazon fire stick should do the trick through parcel motel etc.

But the geo limits should be removed early December

People are saying the geo restrictions are already gone.

maximum12 wrote: »
    People are saying the geo restrictions are already gone.

Sorry, I knew that - I meant to say postage geo restrictions not IP geo restrictions.

The poster was wanting to know how to pop it on the telly - the stick is the easiest way. Also, they can also be picked up from the north if you're near the border.

The geo restrictions are definitely gone - or at least semi gone. It works via your laptop web browser. But try searching for the Amazon video app on your iPhone. Doesn't exist. It is on the UK App Store, so i figured out how to install that but when I log in it will only play the trailers, not the full show. I also have a relatively new Android smart TV and there's no app for that either.

After a bit of googling it seems Amazon are very restrictive on what devices they allow their content to be played on. Probably in an effort to force us to buy their hardware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

So I've got a decent workaround. Connected the laptop to tv via HDMI and voila! Grand Tour in HD. 20 minutes into it and I'm impressed. Really shows up how poor the "all new" Top Gear was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm just watching for the car's, the "banter" is cringeworthy at best. Love the la Ferrari, it would be hard to pick between it and the p1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Nobody mention the sound yet?

I got a very strong American vibe off it: Bombastic, full of bass.

I thought the music was very overdone for most of it.

I enjoyed the b its where they were not in the tent...

• Advertisement
Advertisement