Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 3 ***Updated Mod Note Post 1***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Alf Tupper wrote: »

What exactly is the reason for his exit?

It has been asked on more than 1 occasion but nobody is providing a reason.
    If someone wants to DM the reason even that would be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

robopaddy2 wrote: »
    Gas to see the Tipp crowd on social media up in arms over it, some very very bitter stuff being bandied about, but haven't come to expect anything better over the years. Even some former players, Ive yet to see anyone congratulate Gleeson. At the end of the day the players voted and who better to judge.

You didn't look very hard so, the vast majority of Tipp people have said that Gleeson had a great year and is a serious talent but that the main reason he got it was that the Tipp vote would appear to have been split between Callinan and Maher, this is not a slight on Gleeson and only someone with a chip on their shoulder could perceive it as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭deisedude

danganabu wrote: »
    You didn't look very hard so, the vast majority of Tipp people have said that Gleeson had a great year and is a serious talent but that the main reason he got it was that the Tipp vote would appear to have been split between Callinan and Maher, this is not a slight on Gleeson and only someone with a chip on their shoulder could perceive it as such.

I think thats it exactly. Myself and the auld fella are both mad Waterford but I said Callinan deserved it and he said Maher did!

Not the vote we should be complaining about today anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

danganabu wrote: »

I think reasonable people have said that but would contest the vast majority statement now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I think reasonable people have said that but would contest the vast majority statement now.

Surely players cannot vote for players from their own county?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

What are Ballyduff lower like lads? Playing a club next door to us at home in Walsh park in Munster championship on Sunday that I wouldn't mind seeing getting beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    What are Ballyduff lower like lads? Playing a club next door to us at home in Walsh park in Munster championship on Sunday that I wouldn't mind seeing getting beaten.

I saw the last 10/15 minutes of their last game a couple weeks back. Wasn't a great spectacle but they didn't seem too bad. Having jack Kennedy back in a big addition for them. I wouldnt know many of the newer younger players, John o Leary was playing full back and Brian o Leary on goal so they'd have a bit of experience at least.
    Also it's going ahead On Saturday now, not Sunday as advertised in some places. The mount sion vs Erin's own/ferrybank u21 semi final is going ahead at 1.15 on Sunday in walsh park and is followed by the other semi final of gunners vs DLS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 739 ✭✭✭robopaddy2

A very good junior team, they were actually senior around 6 or 7 years ago, found themselves down junior for just one year before winning it at a canter.
    Only thing against them is they were also in the county junior football final which was played on Wednesday night, that ended in a draw. Fatigue could be an issue at this stage of the season.

I believe it Brendan Cummins club they are playing... Is he still playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

a few Waterford men have taken up management opportunties with other intercounty teams

in Wexford Pauric Fanning and Jimmy Payne have joined Davys Backroom staff

Offaly have appointed Kevin Ryan as senior manager and he has brought Al under 21 winning coach and Waterford legend Paul Flynn with him as forwards coach

Surly our own senior team are busy at work for the 2017 season ??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    a few Waterford men have taken up management opportunties with other intercounty teams

in Wexford Pauric Fanning and Jimmy Payne have joined Davys Backroom staff

Offaly have appointed Kevin Ryan as senior manager and he has brought Al under 21 winning coach and Waterford legend Paul Flynn with him as forwards coach

Surly our own senior team are busy at work for the 2017 season ??
    Offaly must be after sinking fairly low if they've gone for Skin Ryan, last I heard he was managing Fermanagh or someone I think it was. Flynn could be a good coup for them though. A good skills coach. Something they've lacked in recent years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

You would wonder what Flynner would say to them... "train the way that I usen't to ?"

Deskjockey wrote: »
    You would wonder what Flynner would say to them... "train the way that I usen't to ?"
    Under Gerald McCarthy the rule if anyone ran inside the cone the whole panel had to do 20 push-ups, but everytime Flynn did it everyone had to do 100 push-ups. Said it all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭Gardner

I saw the last 10/15 minutes of their last game a couple weeks back. Wasn't a great spectacle but they didn't seem too bad. Having jack Kennedy back in a big addition for them. I wouldnt know many of the newer younger players, John o Leary was playing full back and Brian o Leary on goal so they'd have a bit of experience at least.
    Also it's going ahead On Saturday now, not Sunday as advertised in some places. The mount sion vs Erin's own/ferrybank u21 semi final is going ahead at 1.15 on Sunday in walsh park and is followed by the other semi final of gunners vs DLS

have erins own and ferrybank joined together at under 21 level?

btw who was relegated from senior to intermediate in hurling and who was relegated from east intermediate to junior in hurling

Gardner wrote: »

btw who was relegated from senior to intermediate in hurling and who was relegated from east intermediate to junior in hurling

Cappiquinn relegated from Senior to intermediate

Not sure about east intermediate to junior

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

Gardner wrote: »

Yes they've joined up solely for the u21 this year. Watched them beat clonea in extra time last week and they have a decent team between them.
    As far as I know Mount Sion gave a walkover to tramore in the east relegation game.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Wish Jack O Donoghue the best making his debut against Canada at No. 8. Can anyone tell me when was the last time he played for Waterford, what position and how good a hurler was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭HatchetMan7

Wish Jack O Donoghue the best making his debut against Canada at No. 8. Can anyone tell me when was the last time he played for Waterford, what position and how good a hurler was he?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Deise Gael

Not sure about his last game underage for Waterford but I remember the last time I saw Jack hurling championship was full back above in the pitch in Ballygunner for the under 16's a few years ago with the Mahoneys and SOK etc. He was definitely inter county standard at that time.

A fierce sound lad, delighted for him and his family today.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭mickotallow

Has there been any talk of the format for Senior Football Championship changing? Think I heard somewhere that we were the last county in Ireland to play their county final. If that's true then the county board should be dragged over the coals for that. Football games had to be played mid week and they still didn't play the county final til first weekend in November. I criticise the handling of the hurling championship enough but sometimes I wonder why anyone would even play football in Waterford with the treatment they receive. Clubs need to stand up for themselves.

Has there been any talk of the format for Senior Football Championship changing? Think I heard somewhere that we were the last county in Ireland to play their county final. If that's true then the county board should be dragged over the coals for that. Football games had to be played mid week and they still didn't play the county final til first weekend in November. I criticise the handling of the hurling championship enough but sometimes I wonder why anyone would even play football in Waterford with the treatment they receive. Clubs need to stand up for themselves.

Dual players, County players and the munster club deadlines are whats dictating that though. Lucky there were no replays though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭thesultan

Dual players, County players and the munster club deadlines are whats dictating that though. Lucky there were no replays though.

The county board are the same every year. Put fixtures down and play them, how about managers you weekend training is not going on this weekend , we have matches

thesultan wrote: »
    The county board are the same every year. Put fixtures down and play them, how about managers you weekend training is not going on this weekend , we have matches

This year was a tough one though I thought with a league final, the 21s, two Inter county replays and a round of football called off for bad weather. The biggest issue is the inter county season dragging on the way it does.

congrats to Ballyduff Lower who beat Ballybacon/Grange of tipp 0-14-0-06 in the Munster Junior Hurling semi final. They will play either Bodyke (Clare) or Mayfield (Cork) in the final on the 4th Dec

not bad for club hurling in Waterford with our Intermediate and junior club champions both in Munster finals and have a good chance of going all the way

The Nire are the only club football reps for Waterford in the munster championships this year, they play Carbery Rangers of Cork in the senior semi finals tomorrow. Our intermediates and Junior championships cant be completed in time

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The Nire up by 5 points at HT in ET

• Registered Users Posts: 39,539 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The Nire win 2-15 to 1-13 AET. Very well done to them.

The Nire win 2-15-1-13 after ET over Carberry Rangers of Cork

congrats to them and could possibly win it out. Brillent for Waterford football

They will play Dr Crokes (Kerry) in the final on Sunday 27th November

Ballyduff Lower will play Mayfield (Cork) in the Munster Club Junior Hurling final

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Fantastic result for the Nire. Conor Gleeson is probably one of the bed up and coming footballers in the country. That's not an exaggeration,he's really that good. Delighted for Benji Whelan as he is one of the most genuine people you will meet. They will not be one bit afraid of Crokes either. Congrats to all involved ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

cul beag wrote: »
    Fantastic result for the Nire. Conor Gleeson is probably one of the bed up and coming footballers in the country. That's not an exaggeration,he's really that good. Delighted for Benji Whelan as he is one of the most genuine people you will meet. They will not be one bit afraid of Crokes either. Congrats to all involved ðŸ‘ðŸ‘ðŸ‘

Connor Gleason is an up and coming hurler too (played well for the u21s and against kilkenny in the senior) future dual star material

Amazing If they won it.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Connor Gleason is an up and coming hurler too (played well for the u21s and against kilkenny in the senior) future dual star material

Amazing If they won it.
    Crokes are a very average side. The Gooch is no longer the player he was. Lacks the speed and sharpness that he once had. The Nire will beat them. Conor Gleeson is a brilliant dual player. He will destroy the Crokes defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

culbaire wrote: »
    Crokes are a very average side. The Gooch is no longer the player he was. Lacks the speed and sharpness that he once had. The Nire will beat them. Conor Gleeson is a brilliant dual player. He will destroy the Crokes defense.

To call this Crokes team a very average side is well wide of the mark - they didn't play all that well today but looked comfortable from a long way out.
    Overall they have played some super football this year - when they've hit form they've played some devasting football.

There are quality players throughout the team - by my count 8 of the side that featured today have played for Kerry at senior level (and there are a few more of the younger guys who I wouldn't bet against being involved in senior level down the road) and a lot of the rest of the squad have been involved with Kerry at U21 or minor level. Gooch might not be the player he was before his injury but he is still capable of utter brilliance, like the goal he stuck today. There is a serious amount of quality on the bench and Pat O'Shea as manager is a serious operator. The Nire will have to turn in a massive performance to win Munster.

I will agree that Gleeson is a serious talent from what I've seen as a footballer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement