Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thinking of buying Peugeot 3008 2017

Options
  • 01-11-2016 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

At the moment have a 2005 Honda CRV Exec 2L petrol (that's right - petrol!). It's got 115,000 miles (imported it from UK about 8 years ago) and is still going strong but not liking very poor fuel economy and high tax €710! Strongly considering a new Peugeot 3008 which should be available here in the New Year. Reviews seem pretty positive. Called my local Peugeot dealer and he had no info on price or whether or not they would be offering scrappage. He did say that there is a left hand drive one doing the rounds of Peugeot dealers (not test drivable though :() and they hoped to have it back again soon.

I really like the look of the new 3008 and am a sucker for gadgetry which it has in spades. Of course more gadgets means more to go wrong!

I've always been wary of French cars because of their reputation for unreliability and low resale value - maybe I'm wrong? Heart is telling me Peugeot & head says Nissan Qashqai.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,115 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Firstly make sure your driving style suits a diesel or you will be in to reliability issues straight away with the dpf.

Go drive the competion first so you have an opinion on what's out there for similar money and can then compare what's on offer with the Peugeot. There's a new model Toyota C-HR that looks a good spec for the price. Kia Sportage and Hyundai Tucson might be others to look at. I wouldn't worry about resale unless you are planning on changing it within 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

They have the 3008 in Windsor motors in Airside swords this week it seems, if that is any use to you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Thanks for all the advice. Didn't have a clue about dpfs - definitely some food for thought there. I probably will book a few test drives to check out the competition too and will give Windsor Airside a call too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

digitaldr wrote:
    Called my local Peugeot dealer and he had no info on price or whether or not they would be offering scrappage.

Don't think so. New models don't attract this kind of active marketing.

Give the Toyota C-HR look as well...
    Firstly make sure your driving style suits a diesel or you will be in to reliability issues straight away with the dpf.

French diesels never had issues with city cycles...

Renault is using 5th injector to pump additional diesel into DPF during regeneration, you don't have to do anything to activate and sustain the regeneration.

PSA used to use Eolys, which reduces the soot ignition temperature and allows the DPF regenerate on its own even on short distances. It is still the case with AdBlue now, which reduces the ignition temp as well (but not as much as the Eolys). But it's much much much cheaper (around €0.50/l at you local lorry service station).

They have the 3008 in Windsor motors in Airside swords this week it seems, if that is any use to you

Got in touch with them and they have one to view until this Saturday so going to pop in for a look. Also said the hope to have prices later this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Surely the Toyota C-HR is a much smaller vehicle than the new Peugeot 3008?? They are not in the same category at all. The Toyota is more of a Opel Mokka, Nissan Juke competitor that the larger Peugeot, Kia, Hyundai etc. class. No?

tallpaul wrote: »
    Surely the Toyota C-HR is a much smaller vehicle than the new Peugeot 3008?? They are not in the same category at all. The Toyota is more of a Opel Mokka, Nissan Juke competitor that the larger Peugeot, Kia, Hyundai etc. class. No?

C-HR is as big as a Qashqai and a bit smaller than Tuscon, Kadjar and 3008.

C-HR:
    * Length: 4360
    * Wheelbase: 2640
    * Width: 1795
    * Height: 1565

3008/QQ:
    * Length: 4447/4379
    * Wheelbase: ??
    * Width: 1841/1800
    * Height: 1624/1590

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

3008 all the way. Reviews are very positive so far. Would the highly recommended (as per reviews) 1.2 puretech (130bhp), not interest you?

PS. Aren't Peugeot Ireland still giving 5 years warranty also?

3008 all the way. Reviews are very positive so far. Would the highly recommended (as per reviews) 1.2 puretech (130bhp), not interest you?

I am not saying they are not, 3008 would never be anything I was interested in.

But when reading a review, you need to look at the source of the review as well. The 3008 was designed as RHD vehicle - LHD versions might be much worse in many aspects - ergonomy (exp. missing storage boxes), serviceability and even reliability...

When buying a Toyota, Lexus or anything designed in Japan, you're buying the car the way it was designed. When buying a German or French car, you're getting one that was only adapted.
    PS. Aren't Peugeot Ireland still giving 5 years warranty also?

They are, and I cannot imagine this going back. Citroen and Renault are doing the same...

Good point RHD vs LHD - my parents had a Peugeot many years ago. Clutch was awful on it apparently due to the cable having to follow a very tortuous route due to the conversion. Hopefully things have changed since then.

Petrol engine might well be worth considering as don't do a huge milage - hopefully they will have some idea of prices soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Have you looked at the Seat Ateca, 2 petrol variants. Possible car of the year

The Ateca looks good alright but seems kind of poorly specced for the price and options are expensive. Plus I just like the quirkiness of the 3008

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

OP, id keep clear of both of those French cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Just watched an online review of the 3008. Wow some change from the old model. Interior looks top notch. Would defo consider one myself also. I wouldn't worry about the reliability of a modern French car..seem fine these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phil.x wrote: »

You might want to update your prejudices...some of them have been performing really well in reliability surveys...and far as I know all 3 of the big ones offering 5 year warranties, 3 on Dacias with an option to extend I think.
    You'd imagine VW with their pristine reputation for quality would have no problem offering 5 years :confused::P...or maybe they figure they'd go broke if they did ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Just watched an online review of the 3008. Wow some change from the old model. Interior looks top notch. Would defo consider one myself also. I wouldn't worry about the reliability of a modern French car..seem fine these days.

One of the motoring journalists, can't remember which was saying he'd haver it as his car of the year. It must be a different car to the old 3008 as I hated that and it didn't seem very good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Phil.x wrote: »

This is rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

At the moment have a 2005 Honda CRV Exec 2L petrol (that's right - petrol!). It's got 115,000 miles (imported it from UK about 8 years ago) and is still going strong but not liking very poor fuel economy and high tax €710!

youre worried about 710 in tax and that you are driving a petrol? If its money you are concerned about, Id be more concerned about the depreciation and loan interest on the 3008, will make the mickey mouse tax difference look like the pocket change it is...

Spent quite a while looking over the 3008 in Windsor motors in Swords yesterday. I have to say I was blown away - great design inside and out, quality materials and lots of thoughtful touches. Apple car play worked faultlessly and sound system was very good. Also supports mirrorlink and Android Auto will be added as a software upgrade in Feb/March.

Didn't have too much time to check out the competition but did sit into the highest spec Qashqai - seemed very dated in comparison. Seriously does anyone still want piano black everywhere? Probably the most unsuitable material for a car dash you could get.

Unfortunately still no sign of pricing yet - sales guy said they are negotiating hard with Peugeot France and trying to make sure they don't price themselves out of the market. Hopefully the slightly tarnished reputation French cars have in Ireland will help!

Will more than likely be getting one. It will be our first new car which is quite a change as always liked to let someone else take the initial depreciation hit! Having said that we're not exactly a spring chickens and fancy spoiling ourselves. Also we're a one car family as I mainly use a Honda SH300i scooter during the week which is really cheap to run.

Car has now moved on from Swords and not sure where it's going next but if your in the market for a crossover it's well worth a look.

Prices released today. I'm going to shop around a few dealers over the next couple of weeks.

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    Prices released today. I'm going to shop around a few dealers over the next couple of weeks.

Finally they offer automatic gearbox with the petrols... Currently only the 1.2 Puretech, but that's better than it used to be :)

Well I took the plunge a few days ago and ordered a Peugeot 3008 Allure Diesel 1.6L 120 bhp auto in copper + full leather heated seats. Would have liked to get the diamond black roof too but not worth €400 extra. Delivery not until mid-March :(

Got €3000 trade in (no scrappage and initially offered €2000) after a bit of shopping around which I thought was OK.

Incidentally I saw a Toyota CHR in the wild today and really didn't like it - the whole samurai/manga/transformer aesthetic is just not for me. Plus it's a bit style over substance - rear head room looks sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Good luck with your new car.
    Hope you're very happy with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

digitaldr wrote: »
    Well I took the plunge a few days ago and ordered a Peugeot 3008 Allure Diesel 1.6L 120 bhp auto in copper + full leather heated seats. Would have liked to get the diamond black roof too but not worth €400 extra. Delivery not until mid-March :(

Got €3000 trade in (no scrappage and initially offered €2000) after a bit of shopping around which I thought was OK.

Incidentally I saw a Toyota C-HR in the wild today and really didn't like it - the whole samurai/manga/transformer aesthetic is just not for me. Plus it's a bit style over substance - rear head room looks sh*te.

Ye the C-HR rear headroom is not that great and there is not much of a view from the rear side windows for the rear passengers to look out of either plus anyone with kids might want to consider where the handles on the rear doors are they are quite high up.

Best of luck with the new car you won,t be able to sleep now for 3 months lol but it will all be worth it when you get what is certainly a very classy and fantastic looking car.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭kave2

Anyone know where I can find official spec list for 3008? Thanks.

There are some specs in the prices link I posted above.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I went to dealer yesterday but the LHD demo model was somewhere else... had a look at some other Peugeot cars , and found the rear seating space to be rather limited . Since some people here have seen the car in the flash, can you comment on this ?
    Also, a lot of people moaning about the small steering wheel. Did anyone get to drive this car and comment on this as well... I am sure it is simply something that is awkward ( No PSA car without something awkward..) but you'll get easily used to and provides more legroom for the driver ?

Did anyone compare to other cars in this class (Kadjar, Alteca) ?

Thanks

I went to dealer yesterday but the LHD demo model was somewhere else... had a look at some other Peugeot cars , and found the rear seating space to be rather limited . Since some people here have seen the car in the flash, can you comment on this ?
    Also, a lot of people moaning about the small steering wheel. Did anyone get to drive this car and comment on this as well... I am sure it is simply something that is awkward ( No PSA car without something awkward..) but you'll get easily used to and provides more legroom for the driver ?

Did anyone compare to other cars in this class (Kadjar, Alteca) ?

Thanks
    It's getting very good reviews, there is lots of them on YouTube.

I drove Kadjar and it wasn't great, lots of squeaking noise from interior and car was practically new.

I like Ateca a lot but there is no petrol with dsg.

Irish spec list released on Peugeot website. Surprisingly Sat nav is standard only on the GT trim, same goes for heated seats. Was hoping for these bits to be included in GT line :-(

And no Android auto whosoever!!!!

My dealer is telling me he will have one for viewing in couple of days. And 3 months waiting for the 1.2 petrol automatic.

• Advertisement

Yeah pretty annoying about the sat nav alright - it's standard from the Allure up in the UK wouldn't ya know. It uses a sim card and comes with 3 years sub to TomTom connect in the uk. I reckon they couldn't get a good deal with one of the mobile networks here due to probable low volume of sales. Apparently you can get it as an option if you don't want a GT spec (v expensive here) but it's €1,000+ Even the bog standard Renault Clio I hired on holidays had sat nav. I complained to Peugeot Ireland via Twitter and email but no response yet.

Having said all that nothing compares to Google maps but would have been nice to have directions on the instrument panel.

Good news on the Android Auto front though - according to a French forum (poster contacted Peugeot) 3008s manufactured in early 2017 will have it and it will also be available via a firmware upgrade for one's made earlier.

Production of left hand drives is well behind due to the demand being twice what they'd anticipated. Hopefully they'll start right hand drive production on time to get a few cars out there in the UK and Ireland.

Advertisement