Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Off Topic Thread

Options
  • 31-10-2016 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭

Lads its badly needed; the threads are clogged with stuff that doesnt fit in with thread Titles/Purpose; work away with your ramblings of fighter related nonsense. The news thread doesnt need to be a million pages on how someone doesnt agreee with a fighters presidential selection, an off topic thread would be much more fitting.

Edit - Im not sure how to edit the title on the touch site but sure look its halloween.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

So how about that weather eh? Crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Depp wrote: »
    So how about that weather eh? Crazy!

Trump or HC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Whooo....first one to mention Conor in a thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I blame Obama

ASOT wrote: »
    Trump or HC ?

Jesse Ventura

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If it's MMA-related rambling, then its not an off topic.../runs away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Trump or HC ?

3 rounds or 5 ? i think if HC can get out of the 3rd she might get the KO...her cardio is better like..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Edit - Im not sure how to edit the title on the touch site but sure look its halloween.

Fixed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

@Wonderfullfe

Do you train any martial arts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gamebred wrote:

Will you fight him if he does, winner gets the losers Conor McGregor posters?

• Advertisement

Head Wreck wrote: »

https://vine.co/v/56rMiBKIdvd

Speak when spoken to.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,130 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Head Wreck wrote: »
    That quote sounds awfully familar...hmmm :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Helwani's missus had a kid last week so New York Ric stood in for him yesterday on the MMA Hour to which Helwani rang in to

CwIpexmUAAA8YO8.jpg

Ha!

Thinly veiled ''I have a macbook laptop'' post imo.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Not my pic, I lifted it from Helwani's twitter account

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Not my pic, I lifted it from Helwani's twitter account

Only joking mate, I watched the episode last night as a big fan of the show it was good to see New York Rick get his 2 hours of fame he done well after a shaky start, looking forward to see who Helwani has lined up for next weeks big show for 205.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Thinly veiled ''Helwani has a macbook laptop'' post imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

In a forum filled with non-mma related news it's great to have one more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Gamebred wrote: »
    @Wonderfullfe

I did karate for a good few years until football completely took over at about 15 and at 21 i had reconstructive surgery (x 2) on my chest to correct bad Pectus Excavatum - i had roughly 2 inches between the middle of my chest and my back, with my heart compressed out to the left and lungs to the right, which affected my ability to do any activity for more than 10 mins.

It's sometimes deemed a "semi-cosmetic" operation but trust me nothing cosmetic about it, was in hospital 34 days with 10 of them in intensive care :pac: For anybody interested, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pectus_excavatum . Surgery typically involves removing the cartiliage in your chest, surgically breaking the breast-bone in half, cutting through some of the ribs, detaching the sternum and rotating it 60 degrees and placing metal rods behind it to support your 'new' chest wall.

I have chronic back and chest pain from 21 years of my life walking like the hunchback of Notre Dame - it's the most common problem with people with severe P.E. - various theories exist as to why we do it but personally i wasn't able to breathe if i stood up straight. Still, to this day, i can't breathe 100% properly if i stand up straight. I have to round my shoulders.

I only really got into martial arts/MMA "fandom" by a bit of an accident. I had seen some of the earlier UFC events after the Friends episode with Big John in about '97 or '98 and still have a VHS of one of the earlier UFC's. Was a casual fan until i saw a video on youtube in about 2010 of Eddie Bravo discussing chemtrails by US Government planes. So i started looking at more of his conspiracy stuff, which led to jiujitsu and MMA.

I then went backwards and watched as much as i could of everything - Tenth Planet stuff, Metamoris, Pan-Ams, Polaris, EBI, whatever the latest stuff was. Didn't feel confident enough to post on it for years but glad i bit the bullet. Still feel a bit on thin ice discussing jiujitsu with Mellor and Marcos because i'm coming at it from a fan perspective, whereas they are coming at it from a training perspective - i.e. i'd find it very difficult to criticise a sloppy transition because i've never been in that spot to know what they could have done different. Mind you, i've never played in the World Cup and i feel confident criticising footballers :P

Obviously, the emergence of Conor turned me from a regular casual fan of UFC into a hardcore fan. I'd have had zero interest years ago in watching a prelim with Santos and Martins but now i really wouldn't miss it. Likewise i'd have never thought about watching Cage Warriors or BAMMA or actually going to events but the Buchinger fight changed all that.

TL;DR - I realise that was a yes/no question you asked me but that's not my style as you know :pac:

I'll only fight you if you're blindfolded and spun around 56 times to the point of unrecoverable dizziness. Even then i'll tap like Bob Sapp :)

Just caught up with the mma hour there this morning, thought rick did very well to be fair! wasnt a bad show atal

• Advertisement

Just caught up with the mma hour there this morning, thought rick did very well to be fair! wasnt a bad show atal

the first 2 minutes you could tell how nervous he was but John Pollock really helped him to settle down and get into a flow.

the first 2 minutes you could tell how nervous he was but John Pollock really helped him to settle down and get into a flow.

aye took him a while to settle in but he did very well, show didnt miss ariel near as much as I thought it was going to

aye took him a while to settle in but he did very well, show didnt miss ariel near as much as I thought it was going to

really smart move not putting him under too much pressure with high profile MMA guests. He clearly knows his stuff but it would have been nerve wracking interviewing top UFC stars on his first go at it.

Devon Sawa came across really well i thought.

really smart move not putting him under too much pressure with high profile MMA guests. He clearly knows his stuff but it would have been nerve wracking interviewing top UFC stars on his first go at it.

Devon Sawa came across really well i thought.

I was trying to figure out what I recognized him from, turns out he was Stan in the Eminem video

I was trying to figure out what I recognized him from, turns out he was Stan in the Eminem video

was thinking I recognized him, never even made the connection!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Lads this isn't how an off topic thread is supposed to work, this is more like random mma stuff.

Champions league tonight anyone?

was thinking I recognized him, never even made the connection!

he's the main guy in the Final Destination film as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,423 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is Gamebred ever going to have to go through with that forfeit he bitched out of last year?

he's the main guy in the Final Destination film as well.

I heard him saying that on the show alright, but I never actually seen those films :eek::eek:

He also said he was in Idol Hands but I have no memory of that film other than it was nuts :D

• Advertisement

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is Gamebred ever going to have to go through with that forfeit he bitched out of last year?

Care to elaborate?

Advertisement