Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So VR is here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

thats basically room scale on steroids, would be fantastic in a massive park or carpark or even a theme park made for such a thing but normal consumers will never use it, we just dont have the space. I am sure movement will be figured out at some point though, its too important

Nody wrote: »
    I guess the 125 million steam users alone would disagree with you that PC is not one of the primary gaming platforms. It does not mean PC can't be used for other things as well; but the same is true for example PS3 which have been used for supercomputer setups etc. as well.

How about the below; ring any bells?

How well did that turn out again?

Is it fair to say that PC is a primary gaming platform? You mention 125 million steam users, but surely that's barely a drop in the water of overall household PC users.

Edit:

Added to that, how many of those 125 million users would have adequate gaming rigs, or at least be able to afford to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

This many
    Looking at the figures from PwC, worldwide PC games sales are supposed to add up to $29 billion, while console games sales should reach $28 billion by the end of 2016. In terms of DLCs, PC users expected to vastly outspend console gamers at $21.8 billion compared to $2.4 billion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nody wrote: »
    I guess the 125 million steam users alone would disagree with you that PC is not one of the primary gaming platforms. It does not mean PC can't be used for other things as well; but the same is true for example PS3 which have been used for supercomputer setups etc. as well.

How about the below; ring any bells?

How well did that turn out again?

I know exactly what you mean and, as a fool who bought a Kinect it suffered from bullsh1t promo material, and software that never lived up to the promises made, because they never worked. Steel Battalion? Child of Eden, both suffered with lousy motion controls.
    And, as Retr0 said, the PSVR is going to sell to only a fraction of PS4 owners, meaning a small userbase and no real investment in AAA games fully committed to the format unless heavily subsidised by Sony or are stunted ports from the PC VR systems.
    Indie efforts, like Llamasoft and Polybius or small team titles like Thumper or Rez Infinite, may be where the PSVR will be successful but it's untrue to imagine big titles of depth and substance being built around the device.
    And they certainly need to get Move controls working and not breaking the experience.

• Advertisement

It is sold out on Amazon.com, .jp and .co.uk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

RasTa wrote: »

Not really an indicator of anything though, It depends on the amount shipped and other historical disasters like the Mega CD, 32X, Dreamcast (sorry Sega :( ) had sold really well or sold out initially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Market analysts are predicting it will sell 1.6-1.7 million by the end of the year.

That's more than the Occulus and Vive put together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

RasTa wrote: »
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Not really an indicator of anything though, It depends on the amount shipped and other historical disasters like the Mega CD, 32X, Dreamcast (sorry Sega :( ) had sold really well or sold out initially.

It says Sony has sold through as much stock as they and Amazon expected to sell at this stage. We don't know if they are supply-constrained or trying to pull a Nintendo and create artificial constraints, but either way, it's good news for Sony.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

psvr is tempting me, is there any complete package with the camera and 2 controllers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

https://twitter.com/Windows/status/791288289856659456

Interesting tweet coming from Microsoft's Windows 10 event today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

gizmo wrote: »

The windows phone of VR :D

"Hi We're microsoft and we'll force you to use poxy services that will be mandatory with our hardware....jut like we did in the past. Remember Zune?" :D

"And if that doesn't work we'll try nix our competitors on our OS"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Will probably see an Xbox branded headset for the Scorpio I reckon now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

They show it connecting to a laptop... :/

Zillah wrote: »
    I'm not 100% sure but that might be a Photoshop job.

Zillah wrote: »

A tiny tiny laptop

Probably what will make or break VR is how well it integrates with smartphone devices.

Bambi wrote: »
    A tiny tiny laptop
    Or a really big VR headset. Maybe that's why it's so cheap?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Probably what will make or break VR is how well it integrates with smartphone devices.

God no, that twaddle wasn't necessary for the ps4 to become the fastest selling console ever so I don't see why mobile phones should have anything to do with proper VR being successful.

I know you can strap a phone to your face now but the results are fairly poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

lawlolawl wrote: »
    God no, that twaddle wasn't necessary for the ps4 to become the fastest selling console ever so I don't see why mobile phones should have anything to do with proper VR being successful.

I know you can strap a phone to your face now but the results are fairly poor.

Total console sales are way down on previous generation, as are game sales, probably due to the popularity of smartphones and tablets. The PS4 is only doing so well because the competition is doing so poorly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

A tiny tiny laptop

These laptops are small, but those laptops are far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

So I played PSVR for the first time this evening. Batman Arkham and then a demo of some tank game.

Holy heck.

I wasn't prepared for how incredible that would be. I also pinpoint the first time I played Metal Gear Solid, GTA3 and Journey as being the three times my understanding of what gaming could be fundamentally changed. Tonight was the fourth. The tank game was a good indication of what this gen of VR will be doing once the initial hype dies down but Batman.... wow. That gave a glimpse into what this can do. Ok the gameplay is limited but you can only imagine what they'll be able to do in ten years.

I want an Aliens VR game using the sharpshooter and I want it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭tonybodhran

Having had the ps4 vr for a week now I can say that it has surpassed my expectations by a mile. I've used some basic vr sets before including a set up in the trinity science museum and the quality of the experience on the ps4 was far better. I was actually not prepared for it when I first tried it and dove straight into the rush of blood demo.
    I can honestly say I have not been that scared since I was a young fella watching the first alien movie! It blew me away. I couldn't even finish the first level before I had to rip the mask off. Having played it for a week I've gotten used to it and can sit through the entire game but its still terrifying.
    This experience is do different from any previous form of gaming that I don't think most actually understand what they are bringing into their homes.
    This is not for kids, no child under 16 in my opinion should have access to this. Anyone who is considering getting one for their family needs to strap one of these on first ,play the silent hill demo and have a man gutted in front of your eyes or sit through the rush of blood demo to understand.
    Batman arkham is an incredible demonstration of what is possible. This tech is in its infancy and even now its so different from anything I've ever played that I already Dont feel like playing any of the other normal games I have in my collection!
    There are other types of games such as interactive stories that show how this will change almost everything related to entertainment.
    Its not perfect by any means but its good enough that it will change everything if it gets into as many households as they think it will.

I repeat if you are getting one of these for your family you need to understand what you are bringing into your house. This is not like normal gaming, the effect that it has on your brain to make you feel like you are actually there has not been experienced by the majority of the public and will have different effects on different people. Several of my friends have tried it out and all different results. All of them loved it but the horror games were too much for some of them. Interesting times ahead and exciting games coming. X wing pilot and Star Trek bridge commander... VR is here to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Total console sales are way down on previous generation, as are game sales, probably due to the popularity of smartphones and tablets. The PS4 is only doing so well because the competition is doing so poorly.

Indeed, where are the stats for 'fastest-selling' coming from. 1 month of sales , the first month or how is it calculated ?

PS4 has 43.5 millions sales atm, Xbox One has beaten it in sales the last 3 months.
    Also 43 is way behind PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii sales

From what I can tell the problem with VR and it's future success lies on Cost of Entry and developers.
    Obviously it's expensive.
    But being so, many people won't buy it at present....but we want developers to make AAA titles for it....but they're not going to if enough units haven't been sold as the chances of making back their money isn't there.....and in turn we won't be happy because there's no AAA titles.......so we ask developers to make them...but they need a return on investment........but we won't invest unless there are games........and around and around it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Indeed, where are the stats for 'fastest-selling' coming from. 1 month of sales , the first month or how is it calculated ?

PS4 has 43.5 millions sales atm, Xbox One has beaten it in sales the last 3 months.
    Also 43 is way behind PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii sales

From what I can tell the problem with VR and it's future success lies on Cost of Entry and developers.
    Obviously it's expensive.
    But being so, many people won't buy it at present....but we want developers to make AAA titles for it....but they're not going to if enough units haven't been sold as the chances of making back their money isn't there.....and in turn we won't be happy because there's no AAA titles.......so we ask developers to make them...but they need a return on investment........but we won't invest unless there are games........and around and around it goes.

Spot on.

The biggest challenge for VR is tradational games. We want AAA games for VR but if a studio does this the payout is going to be dismal in comparison to making a game that 43 million customers can purchase.

I think PSVR will quickly become the PS Vita if it isn't selling as quickly as the PS4 was back in 2013.

Having had the ps4 vr for a week now I can say that it has surpassed my expectations by a mile.

You have obviously paid a lot of money for this hardware and are now invested in it thus your gushing enthusiasm

ignore him people, VR has got to him :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I'd say smartphone's have played a part for sure but I reckon the main reason console sales are down is poor hardware from both companies. There was just no WOW factor with the Xbone and PS4 unlike the jump from say the PS1 to PS2 and again with PS2 to PS3 and likewise with the Xbox line.

The fact both brand have had to issue upgrades so early in the current consoles lifespan speaks volumes.
    Spot on.

The biggest challenge for VR is tradational games. We want AAA games for VR but if a studio does this the payout is going to be dismal in comparison to making a game that 43 million customers can purchase.

I think PSVR will quickly become the PS Vita if it isn't selling as quickly as the PS4 was back in 2013.

A killer app is needed to push VR and not just tech demos people will get bored of fast and only then use to show off the headset to friends.

It will be very interesting to see what the jointly made Asus, Acer, HP and Microsoft unit will be like as these companies have much more experience and brand recognition in the PC markets than the likes of Oculus and HTC. I wonder if these VR headsets will turn into every other year upgrades like we see with graphics cards!

Venom wrote: »
    I wonder if these VR headsets will turn into every other year upgrades like we see with graphics cards!

Dunno, can't have headsets going up in smoke like them 1080s and 1070s...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,188 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Having had the ps4 vr for a week now I can say that it has surpassed my expectations by a mile. I've used some basic vr sets before including a set up in the trinity science museum and the quality of the experience on the ps4 was far better. I was actually not prepared for it when I first tried it and dove straight into the rush of blood demo.
    I can honestly say I have not been that scared since I was a young fella watching the first alien movie! It blew me away. I couldn't even finish the first level before I had to rip the mask off. Having played it for a week I've gotten used to it and can sit through the entire game but its still terrifying.
    This experience is do different from any previous form of gaming that I don't think most actually understand what they are bringing into their homes.
    This is not for kids, no child under 16 in my opinion should have access to this. Anyone who is considering getting one for their family needs to strap one of these on first ,play the silent hill demo and have a man gutted in front of your eyes or sit through the rush of blood demo to understand.
    Batman arkham is an incredible demonstration of what is possible. This tech is in its infancy and even now its so different from anything I've ever played that I already Dont feel like playing any of the other normal games I have in my collection!
    There are other types of games such as interactive stories that show how this will change almost everything related to entertainment.
    Its not perfect by any means but its good enough that it will change everything if it gets into as many households as they think it will.

I repeat if you are getting one of these for your family you need to understand what you are bringing into your house. This is not like normal gaming, the effect that it has on your brain to make you feel like you are actually there has not been experienced by the majority of the public and will have different effects on different people. Several of my friends have tried it out and all different results. All of them loved it but the horror games were too much for some of them. Interesting times ahead and exciting games coming. X wing pilot and Star Trek bridge commander... VR is here to stay.

This makes for very interesting reading.

I used to be a gamer in my younger days, but if I tell you that the last games I used to play were on Amiga's and Atari ST then it will give you an idea of how long its been since I regularly played computer games! (probably over 25yrs).

I did have a 3 or 4 hour spell on Halo on the XBox when it was released, and I couldn't believe how much gaming had come on since I had last played them. But as good as it was, I still had outgrown computer games and didn't catch the bug again. I just put it down to being older and having new interests in life. To be honest, I never understand the idea of older, married men retreating to play computer games for hours, so I have no idea what all the big titles are like. Despite knowing names like Call of Duty, Grand Theft Auto, Uncharted, Assassins Creed, Metal Gear Solid etc, I have never actually played any of them, or even seem them played in the flesh.

I always said that something big would have to happen to get me to have any interest in computer games again, and to be honest I have been intrigued by VR over the last couple of years.

Perhaps this is the start of the technology that will revolutionise gaming? I know that my kids will have a much better gaming experience than I ever had, and who knows maybe I might just enjoy it all again myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Dunno, can't have headsets going up in smoke like them 1080s and 1070s...

EVGA's not involved so it should be fine :pac:

Advertisement