Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So VR is here

Options
  • 12-10-2016 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Playstation's attempt anyway that I think it's worth discussing in this thread.

There are demo stalls in 1 Dame Lane, Dublin until Sunday if anybody didn't know.

It's 50% reservation and 50% walk in when I was talking to the girl about it, think it opened yesterday so good chance you'll be able to try it yourself if walking by

I was impressed by the response to what I was doing and was in there for about 45mins but would have loved to stay longer.

http://trypsvr.com/en-gb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I dont want an uncomfortable sweatbox on my face when gaming. Im also hearing that you will start feeling sick after 20 minutes or so. Also its 400 quid for the thing. I think VR will go the way of motion control and kinect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I dont want an uncomfortable sweatbox on my face when gaming. Im also hearing that you will start feeling sick after 20 minutes or so. Also its 400 quid for the thing. I think VR will go the way of motion control and kinect.

What novel and well-researched views you have :/

Motion sickness is dependent entirely on the person, and even more so the game. Different types of game are more prone to it than others, and it's something they have a whole range of tricks for dealing with; as someone who owns a Vive I can tell you it's not been an issue at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

VR's been here for a while, wanna get up to shpeed there

No idea what the playstation implementation is like though

• Registered Users Posts: 23 NellyJelly

RasTa wrote: »
    Playstation's attempt anyway that I think it's worth discussing in this thread.

There are demo stalls in 1 Dame Lane, Dublin until Sunday if anybody didn't know.

It's 50% reservation and 50% walk in when I was talking to the girl about it, think it opened yesterday so good chance you'll be able to try it yourself if walking by

I was impressed by the response to what I was doing and was in there for about 45mins but would have loved to stay longer.

Do you know what time the stalls are open? I might try to get into town after work tomorrow.

Christ 400 blips :eek:

200 and we'll talk but even then it would want to have the developer support long term for me to even think about it.

• Advertisement

You can talk all ye like but 200 will only get you a phone strapped to your head via a piece of plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It still looks like an uncomfortable piece of equipment that will hinder extended play. And I like extended play.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For consoles it's the new Mega CD. You split the install base with any add on and when you make a game specifically for VR you are selling to way less people so it doesn't make sense. Couple that with Sony's penchant for dropping anything that underperforms at the drop of a hat then I don't really see a future in this on console.

this isn't the future of console gaming..its the future of everything

Staring at flat screen will seem quaint in about a decade

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    For consoles it's the new Mega CD. You split the install base with any add on and when you make a game specifically for VR you are selling to way less people so it doesn't make sense. Couple that with Sony's penchant for dropping anything that underperforms at the drop of a hat then I don't really see a future in this on console.

Yeah considering how fast Sony was to drop the move camera and controllers and the PS Vita which people really seemed to like, no way would I be an early adopter of their version of VR.
    Bambi wrote: »
    this isn't the future of console gaming..its the future of everything

Staring at flat screen will seem quaint in about a decade

Funny enough the same thing was said about 3D TV's.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »

The same thing was said about lots of things and it was wrong because it was marketing bull****

When it was said about televisions, VCR's and mobile phones it was right

The trick is knowing when its right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Venom wrote: »

Yeah and they also have a good chance of making you feel queasy after an hour. Biggest problem for me (as well as price although the PSVR is a lot more forgiving than the vive or rift) is the controller issue. The rifts look terrible and they want 200 quid for it. It doesn't look like they know how to handle movement that we'll either. Space is a problem too as you need essentially a dedicated room for the things.
    It's not the future it's an attempt at trying to figure out what is the next evolution of gaming. Don't see it working on any system although maybe after several iterations it could offer a way to play a unique experience. So far there doesn't seem to be one game that answers why someone should pay 400 & much more on an hyped tech fad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd like to give it a shot. But at that money, despite seemingly good price for that tech, it's too rich for my blood. Maybe if it holds it's ground and actually develops into more than just an abandoned promise, it would be something I'd invest in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Maybe the huge PS VR thread over on the PS forum ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057573337&page=31

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Bambi wrote: »
    The same thing was said about lots of things and it was wrong because it was marketing bull****

When it was said about televisions, VCR's and mobile phones it was right

The trick is knowing when its right ;)

And that's the kind of statement you hear from penniless people outside the betting shop.

Many of us, having bought into Kinect, Mega CD, 32X, Move and heaven knows how many other high priced peripherals on console are too aware that they fail more often than they succeed.
    Sensible people will give it 6 months, better still a year to see what becomes of the format.
    Early adopters will do what they always do, but there are not many older early adopters to such hardware, having had their fingers burned too many times.
    €400 is a lot of money for a console peripheral.
    You have to ask yourself just how many AAA titles are going to use it, and use it effectively, or are people going to be relying on indie efforts and the occassional titbit from Sony.
    This is what happened with the Move device, a handful of meaningful and game enhancing implementations, otherwise it got in the way and cost the punter money that they never got value for.

VR might be the future, but it seems that future is on open formats like PC, where functionality can be easily patched into both new and legacy titles, rather than console, a closed format where it costs money to update games and so only money makers are going to get the effort and then they are going to try to sell it to you all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

You need a PS Camera to use it too so it's a lot more than €400.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And as always there's Jim Sterling's summary that's pretty much on the point about it:

It's a gimmick that may evolve into something useful.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Yeah and they also have a good chance of making you feel queasy after an hour.

Again, no, that's not how it works. If a game is badly designed and the person is susceptible then they will get queasy within a couple of minutes. If you're still fine after five minutes you'll be fine all day as far as nausea is concerned.

A lot of VR games have you on your feet, so you can get tired after an hour, and they press down on your face a bit, so you might want to take it off and let your skin breathe for a few minutes, but nausea isn't the issue. We're in the first generation so they're a little bit heavier and less comfortable than they should be, but that's going to improve.

Pretty much the only people I've ever seen talk about why VR won't work are people know nothing about it.
    (I mean all this for PC, by the way, I've no idea what PSVR is going to be like - personally I was sceptical that a console could maintain the framerate.)
    CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    VR might be the future, but it seems that future is on open formats like PC, where functionality can be easily patched into both new and legacy titles, rather than console, a closed format where it costs money to update games and so only money makers are going to get the effort and then they are going to try to sell it to you all over again.

This was a common misconception in the early days. What has become apparent is that retrofitting non-VR games to VR is actually largely pointless. Unless a game is designed from Day 1 to be a VR game the gameplay and user interface will never feel right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I wouldn't have much interest myself; can't imagine ever wanting to put on a helmet to play games. Especially when it appears to do more to limit game mechanics than it does to expand them.

I wouldn't have much interest myself; can't imagine ever wanting to put on a helmet to play games. Especially when it appears to do more to limit game mechanics than it does to expand them.

Where is this sort of stuff coming from? VR offers entirely new and truly awesome gaming experiences that are completely impossible to recreate elsewhere. It won't replace 2D monitors until they are so light and so high resolution that virtual desktops become preferred to real desktops, but that doesn't mean they're not an amazing addition to the options for a gamer who can afford it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The new PSVita or PSP. I'll leave other people get burned this time.

Zillah wrote: »
    Where is this sort of stuff coming from? VR offers entirely new and truly awesome gaming experiences that are completely impossible to recreate elsewhere. It won't replace 2D monitors until they are so light and so high resolution that virtual desktops become preferred to real desktops, but that doesn't mean they're not an amazing addition to the options for a gamer who can afford it.

Which sort of stuff? My lack of interest? I dunno, I'm not interested in fishing either but I've never tried to analyse why.

Which sort of stuff?

This sort of stuff: "Especially when it appears to do more to limit game mechanics than it does to expand them."

It's literally providing game experiences that were completely impossible before now. I just saw a video of a guy falling over because he forgot the table in front of him wasn't real and tried to lean on it. Have you ever been anywhere near that close to that immersed in a game?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

People who havent tried vr. "I dont like it and think it's a fad"

People who have used vr "OH MY GOD"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Personally I'd buy an oculus rift or a vive before I'd think about buying ps vr.

Zillah wrote: »
    This sort of stuff: "Especially when it appears to do more to limit game mechanics than it does to expand them."

It's literally providing game experiences that were completely impossible before now. I just saw a video of a guy falling over because he forgot the table in front of him wasn't real and tried to lean on it. Have you ever been anywhere near that close to that immersed in a game?

Nothing I've seen come out of it yet has looked particularly novel nor done anything to pique my interest. I haven't seen any new types of game mechanics that were compelling and couldn't have been achieved without a VR headset. It's just a new type of screen like, but one that makes some genres unplayable and requires you to wear a helmet. I can see how it adds marginal utility to things like simulators and motor racing games, but I'm not a particular fan of either genre.

I'm cool with you being excited about it like, I'm just not. I wouldn't see it as much different than a niche peripheral like a flight stick or driving wheel. Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

How someone can compare VR to motion controls and consider it a fad is just mind boggling.

Not everything which tries to add a new experience to gaming is on an equal level. Motion controls let you have a movement related response in a game. VR actually puts you into the game. It's completely and utterly different.

I agree with Retr0 in that this is doomed to failure on the PS4 though. You really need an open ended system (ie, a PC) to get the most out of this technology.

The most fun I've had with a Rift is just trying out new demos and experiences people have put together. I don't really see it as a standard gaming device which you use to interact with a console. Not yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You need to try out VR before you dismiss it, really. It's not designed to replace gaming as we know it, which some people seem to immediately leap to for whatever reason. It's a different way of gaming. Yes, in the future, they may possibly become the one and the same in some shape or form, but for now, nobody is trying to convince anyone that it's the way to play all games.

Playing games built for the Vive/Oculus/PSVR from the ground up is mind-melting experience, it's just such a radical leap forward in technology. I think this recent video of Ronnie O' Sullivan trying VR snooker sums it up nicely.

It's one of those rare things you genuinely can't truly understand without trying it - people find it hard to grasp the reality of genuinely being 'in' the virtual world. I don't even use my Oculus Rift that much as the range of games isn't quite there at the moment but it's an experience like no other when I am using it now and again - and it's a stellar party piece.

I've shown it to loads of family and friends who wouldn't really be up to speed on the latest tech or what's happening in the gaming world and they were genuinely taken back that such technology even exists - I also had the Gear VR for a while and while mobile VR headsets are largely poor, the Gear VR with a Galaxy is a good experience and not dissimilar to the Oculus Rift experience.

One area it particularly excels in are simulators - racing, flight, etc. There's a demo called Vox Machinae and even though it's old now, it still remains for me one of the most impressive VR demo's available. It's a wet dream for anyone who loved Mech Warrior back in the day, the sense of scale and manning the cockpit of a 50ft, lumbering mech is immense, and with head tracking you can fully move around and explore every panel, dial, button and lever in detail.
    This was a common misconception in the early days. What has become apparent is that retrofitting non-VR games to VR is actually largely pointless. Unless a game is designed from Day 1 to be a VR game the gameplay and user interface will never feel right.

Exactly this. 3D injectors like VorpX or whatever the other one is is actually hurting VR in some ways - playing AAA games in VR that were never designed for VR can and does work, to varying levels, but the overall experience is nothing like a purpose-built game. The immersion, scale and depth perception just isn't there.....with those games, it does genuinely feel gimmicky in most cases.

VR is not going anywhere, to be honest, but I can easily see the PS VR not doing that well. Even on the PC for the best experience you need the €600+ headset and a seriously beefy PC to drive it fluidly for the better games.

Personally I'd buy an oculus rift or a vive before I'd think about buying ps vr.

But not everyone can afford the nearly €3,000 that you're going to have to sink into the oculus or the vive.

The PS4 is €400, the PSVR is €400 (with the €50/€100 - can't remember which - for the camera). That still works at €850-€900 for the lot.

Plus, realistically, a lot of people would already own a PS4.

Admittedly it won't be the same levels of the previous two, but, from what I've heard, still pretty decent for what you're paying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I haven't seen any new types of game mechanics that were compelling and couldn't have been achieved without a VR headset.
    It's just a new type of screen like, but one that makes some genres unplayable and requires you to wear a helmet.
    I wouldn't see it as much different than a niche peripheral like a flight stick or driving wheel. Each to their own.

Only somebody who's never tried VR would be able to make statements like that.

As a medium of entertainment, it's a whole new platform and adds a previously unexperienced dimension as unique as the experience of the first televisions or consoles.

I don't know how you can be so damning of something so revolutionary that you've never tried. Describing it as a 'new screen' and similar to a niche input controller really just shows how little you understand it.

Advertisement