Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So VR is here

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Falthyron wrote: »
    You have no problem dismissing a possible challenge to your mode of thinking without actually knowing what he is saying? Are you afraid he might say something that will stir insecurity? Doubt over the product you have chosen and idea you have spent so much energy defending?

This is expending energy? This is idling.

Like I said, if you want to transcribe whatever your mans points are I might respond, I'm not going to spend 15 minutes listening to his guff though. I will bet that one of them boils down to him being a large lad who isn't too keen on physical effort aka disability.

Falthyron wrote:
    I believe it is a gimmick that won't last beyond those wealthy enough to afford it and that VR won't become mainstream.
    Falthyron wrote:
    I did not dismiss VR, I said it will probably work as a niche product.

It's a gimmick VS didn't dismiss it. Make your mind up there chief. :confused:
    Falthyron wrote:
    However, it is difficult to find people who are willing to remain objective on a product when they have forked out €400+ on it. You think its healthy to cast aside objective criticism just because you bought into it?

the only two objective criticisms that you've managed have already been safely discounted as misinformed bollocks, unless you care to retort.

If you want to try make some more I'm willing to run the rule over them.

Also, The Vive and Oculus are around €850 euros plus the PC to play it. If it was a dud I'd have sold it on at a loss. I've forked out for stuff that wasn't worth the price in the past. C'est la vie. Although funnily enough I've never bought a 3D TV, PS Move, Kinect, HD-DVDs, Mini-discs or a Betamax. Probably because I know the difference between a new & improved marketing pitch and a genuinely ground breaking piece of kit. Although betamax was that, it just lost out to a different implementation of the same concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Again Jim is different from the likes of Angry joe in that he actually does some journalism and gives informed opinions and research topics. He only really begins and ends his videos with his arrogant persona. He's had years in the business so is much better equipped to analyse it.

I don't mind Jim, the post you quoted me was in reference to the second link he posted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci4q2BixHFE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Bambi wrote: »
    This is expending energy? This is idling.

Like I said, if you want to transcribe whatever your mans points are I might respond, I'm not going to spend 15 minutes listening to his guff though. I will bet that one of them boils down to him being a large lad who isn't too keen on physical effort aka disability.

It's a gimmick VS didn't dismiss it. Make your mind up there chief. :confused:

the only two objective criticisms that you've managed have already been safely discounted as misinformed bollocks, unless you care to retort.

If you want to try make some more I'm willing to run the rule over them.

Also, The Vive and Oculus are around €850 euros plus the PC to play it. If it was a dud I'd have sold it on at a loss. I've forked out for stuff that wasn't worth the price in the past. C'est la vie. Although funnily enough I've never bought a 3D TV, PS Move, Kinect, HD-DVDs, Mini-discs or a Betamax. Probably because I know the difference between a new & improved marketing pitch and a genuinely ground breaking piece of kit. Although betamax was that, it just lost out to a different implementation of the same concept.

Ok, if you don't want to answer my questions I will leave you to your blind devotion. Good luck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The simple fact is today there is no reason to buy a VR set; there is no game (note game, not tech demo or party game) to use it and the cost is beyond prohibitive. To get VR to work you'd not only need to develop a game for it from scratch you'd also need to take into which type of VR (PS4 controller sitting, Vive room style, the Facebook standing still etc.) it's suppose to use on top of it limiting the market even more and that's before we talk about the inherent limitations (for example Vive don't work for people who can't walk around a lot for example). How many games were skipped for Wii U because of the smaller market? Yet all the fans expects somehow there are going to be this huge group of games coming for VR (a much much tinier market which is sub split even more) somehow (and no the couple of millions put up by VR companies are not going to carry it to a killer game everyone must have)...

Now you can rave around how this is the next mobile phone but the simple fact is that today it's an expensive toy with very limited use in reality which has potential to become something in a generation or two at the earliest but that's all it is, potential which based on previous history (Movement based games, laserdiscs, 3D tv etc.) is more unlikely than likely to happen. And yes, I've tried VR starting over 20 years ago in games looking like Minecraft and consisted of five platforms to shot down your opponents on; this is still only a rich mans toy no matter the potential.

VR will have it's niche areas (for example showing of a house before it's built) but until you can find a reason for average Joe to buy it and the cost is not costing them more than their graphic card it will remain a niche product or short of something like HL3 release with a completely unique game experience in VR combined with a sub $300 VR headset kit to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I've a friend that is even more deep into games than me (contributor to some very obscure game articles on hardcore gaming 101) that loves easy allies and the likes of giantbomb. Says they are great entertainment and that's why he listens to them but says you'll learn nothing from them. They're not going to rock the boat of challenge anything in the press or gaming news.

Agreed with you about Gametrailers but then I only ever used them to watch trailers for upcoming games :)

I think your being unfair to Giantbomb who I always felt came across as one of the more honest sites and youtube channels in their coverage and have never been ones to shy away from giving both positive and negative feedback on various elements of the gaming industry, unlike some clowns who fawn over every new title or a fence sitter like Angry Joe who while very entertaining, tends to wait to see how the public react to a game before releasing his views.

And while the pro VR folks rant and rave about it being the future, until there are a few must have games that VR kicks up into a totally next level, buying into the hardware right now just seems like a complete waste of money. As for all the BS about the tech being new, the development kits have been around for years yet there is still no killer app/game/reason to own one.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    the development kits have been around for years yet there is still no killer app/game/reason to own one.

first htc/valve dev kit was in late 2014 and it was only released to a very select number of companies, second one which was actually released to a decent amount of companies was the pre dev kit in january 2016

But please, do continue, years you say?

As far as I'm concerned tilt brush alone is a good enough reason to own a VR set. Might not be for everyone though

H3VR, Onward, DCS World, Virtual Desktop, the Thrill of the fight, Vanishing Realms. You could probably add rec room but that its not my thing.

All doing something that has not been done before, not bad for mostly small devs pumpin gout content six months after launch.

No COD:Moonwars or whatever is big on the consoles as of yet though, somehow one struggles on. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Never thought a VR thread would be so divisive.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

Bambi wrote: »
    first htc/valve dev kit was in late 2014 and it was only released to a very select number of companies, second one which was actually released to a decent amount of companies was the pre dev kit in january 2016

But please, do continue, years you say?

As far as I'm concerned tilt brush alone is a good enough reason to own a VR set. Might not be for everyone though

H3VR, Onward, DCS World, Virtual Desktop, the Thrill of the fight, Vanishing Realms. You could probably add rec room but that its not my thing.

All doing something that has not been done before, not bad for mostly small devs pumpin gout content six months after launch.

No COD:Moonwars or whatever is big on the consoles as of yet though, somehow one struggles on. :D

Not having a go, but I have genuinely never heard of a single game you just mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've almost ignored some amazing games because of the opinions of these shows or some like them.

Which seems strange to me, because 2 of the games they ALWAYS harp on about are the Souls series, and Persona series.....which I think I've seen you talk about plenty of times :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Which seems strange to me, because 2 of the games they ALWAYS harp on about are the Souls series, and Persona series.....which I think I've seen you talk about plenty of times :P

Yeah but they're not exactly niche anymore. I still remember Giant Bomb saying the combat in Demon's Souls was beyond terrible. I nearly punched my car radio when I heard that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

lawlolawl wrote: »
    The problem with VR at the moment is that it doesn't have an essential game for it on any platform.

I was going to head out this morning and get a PSVR on a whim but I changed my mind once I looked at the launch lineup and realized nearly all the games are just tech demos that you'd knock a couple of hours fun out of and never touch again.

For €400+ before you even buy a game I'd want to get something that I won't be done with after one decent day of gaming :)

The tech is there but the games simply aren't yet.

Saw a guy on another site saying he was going to pick up a second hand one in a month or two when Ebay ends up flooded with all the units that people aren't using any more so they will be selling them for Christmas money. I reckon his is not too wrong with his thinking that this is a good plan.

I dont know about that, I've been playing elite for years with vr and i still get a jaw dropping WOW in just about every time i've played.
    I have a triple screen setup using 3 42inch screens at 5870x1080 which is absolutely stunning to use, However, i have mabey played about an hour of elite on it, and have hundreds of hours of playing elite on vr, There is simply no comparison between the two.

Skatedude wrote: »
    I have a triple screen setup using 3 42inch screens at 5870x1080 which is absolutely stunning to use

Find it hard to believe above

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

RasTa wrote: »

Barnacules on Youtube has a similar setup.

XUiZG7Fh.jpg
    80H6tgLh.jpg
    And before anyone mentions it, the pistols are airsoft, not real

lawlolawl wrote: »
    Not having a go, but I have genuinely never heard of a single game you just mentioned.

No, I would imagine you havent. *Strokes VR beard*

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

XUiZG7Fh.jpg
    80H6tgLh.jpg
    And before anyone mentions it, the pistols are airsoft, not real

What a glorious nerd cave. Are you the heir of a wealthy but distant tech mogul? Is this a basement? It feels like a basement. Do you want to host a lan party?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

7up Free? Pffft...

:pac:

2 front doors? 1 connected to the rest of the house and the other to the outside world?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

2 front doors? 1 connected to the rest of the house and the other to the outside world?

It's actually two sides of the same door. He is trapped in a pocket dimension.

Zillah wrote: »
    What a glorious nerd cave. Are you the heir of a wealthy but distant tech mogul? Is this a basement? It feels like a basement. Do you want to host a lan party?

Nope,44,single and no kids, that was my one room apartment which has since been knocked and rebuilt bigger and better.

It started life as the garage at the end of my mother's garden, but with the cost of housing in dublin, I added my own entrance and expanded over the years.
    One door is my bathroom, the other is to a common garden with a separate entrance, and it's far enough away from the surrounding houses that i can watch movies with the the 6.1 turned up high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Nope,44,single and no kids, that was my one room apartment which has since been knocked and rebuilt bigger and better.

It started life as the garage at the end of my mother's garden, but with the cost of housing in dublin, I added my own entrance and expanded over the years.
    One door is my bathroom, the other is to a common garden with a separate entrance, and it's far enough away from the surrounding houses that i can watch movies with the the 6.1 turned up high.

Makes me feel a little better, only a little :P Still jealous though :P :D
    I thought SkateDude was maybe the son of a EuroMillions winner or something.....what was her name...Deloris or something who won 100 mill.

I honestly thought it was some kind of old castle or completely done up house going by your doors.

Also...as someone else mentioned.....7up Free....pffffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭RedXIV

That place is epic. You should be proud

I believe some shops are demoing the playstation vr system, It's not as good as the vr systems for the pc, but it's not too far off and will give you a good idea of what vr is really like.
    All of the phone vr ones are very, very basic and not really a representation of what vr is really like.

As for the 7up free, that's for night time only, the fridge is full of beer and coke for the rest of the time.

RedXIV wrote: »
    That place is epic. You should be proud

We should probably start a mancave pictures sticky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

We should probably start a mancave pictures sticky.

Some of us only have man corners :o

You drink the beer at night time. You drink 7up free, never.

You drink the beer at night time. You drink 7up free, never.

7up free is water subsitute, I hate drinking plain water, Er, getting off topic.

So who's planing to try out Psvr?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There was a mancave thread on boards at one point,some really nice set ups in it.

Any idea which shops are demoing the PSVR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

EoinHef wrote: »
    There was a mancave thread on boards at one point,some really nice set ups in it.

Any idea which shops are demoing the PSVR?

There was an unreal one where someone built a mancave 'frame' with a tiny enclosed gaming room with a double bed on top, it was fantastic - captain's bunk for adults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Some of us only have man corners :o

into my man corner for a cry

the techist in me wants you to change those 3 tvs for 3 4k tvs or 3 x34 ultrawides but what an awesome setup :cool:

Advertisement