Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork 2016 Route news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,611 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

kub wrote: »
    Would an A320 have the legs to get from Iceland to New York or would this require a bigger plane, therefore a change of plane from the one from Cork?

Wow use A321 from Reykjavik to East Coast USA and A330 to West Coast USA.

As per my post two posts before yours, Reykjavik is their hub and like any other hub, you change aircraft and take separate flights.

Iceland is one of those few places with summer and winter appeal, I hope its not just a seasonal route.

Summer = good enough weather, glaciers, volcanos, etc etc
    Winter = Aurora.
    Did you not read the original post?

The new service with WOW will start from May 19, 2017. The airline will operate four convenient weekly flights on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday during the Summer 2017 season and will operate three weekly services during Winter 2017. The new service to the land of fire and ice will see an additional 66,000 seats available from Cork Airport next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

This is a great coup for Cork, I never saw it coming! I won't lie though, I think 50% of the support for this route will have to originate in the US. I just don't think there is the market for this much frequency to Iceland/or connecting to the states like this from Cork otherwise.

By the way, why is the layover of 80 minutes in Cork? I would have imagined they'd want to be able to turnaround in half that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Jack1985

Zonda999 wrote: »
    This is a great coup for Cork, I never saw it coming! I won't lie though, I think 50% of the support for this route will have to originate in the US. I just don't think there is the market for this much frequency to Iceland/or connecting to the states like this from Cork otherwise.

By the way, why is the layover of 80 minutes in Cork? I would have imagined they'd want to be able to turnaround in half that

There's not much you can do being based in Iceland, WOW Air typically operate their fleet with around four sectors a day. Usually the morning rush in to Europe and using the evening to/from the US, thus allowing great connection times.

For example EI of their 4 based aircraft in Cork in the Summer months, operate 8 sectors in a day with just 1 based aircraft looking after the LHR rotations, that is highly optimal use - But it's just not possible for WOW Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Time to start a Cork 2017 route news thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Away with ya Lisa, I'm behind you all the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭danmanw8

Jack1985 wrote: »
    Congrats to the team down in Cork, great coup.

I don't understand what is a coup about this. It's just PR SPIN around the launch of a new short-haul route.

Cork has had THIS TYPE of transatlantic route forever. What is different about flying from Cork to Reykjavik and then on to JFK when compared to going from Cork to Heathrow (or Schiphol) and then on to JFK?

It's a PR coup, nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

The transatlantic spin is pathetic, but it is still a 4x weekly route to Reykjavik, which is quite good and surprising.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I get the issue about this being a big deal over what is in reality 'just another route' with connection opportunities.
    However the difference here is that this mostly aimed at connections onwards to the US, and (unlike LHR/AMS) it is heading in the correct direction from the get go.
    Regardless of PR spin, its still a new intetesting route.

Tenger wrote: »
    I get the issue about this being a big deal over what is in reality 'just another route' with connection opportunities.
    However the difference here is that this mostly aimed at connections onwards to the US, and (unlike LHR/AMS) it is heading in the correct direction from the get go.
    Regardless of PR spin, its still a new intetesting route.

Interesting yes, a coup no

• Advertisement

danmanw8 wrote: »
    I don't understand what is a coup about this. It's just PR SPIN around the launch of a new short-haul route.

Cork has had THIS TYPE of transatlantic route forever. What is different about flying from Cork to Reykjavik and then on to JFK when compared to going from Cork to Heathrow (or Schiphol) and then on to JFK?

It's a PR coup, nothing more

It's a brand new short haul route for the airport to somewhere never served before - that's the good news story. There's been enough bad news of late.

The potential connections west are a bonus.

WOW were guilty of the same PR spin antics when they launched the Dublin-Reykjavik route, announcing it as a transatlantic service - it's purely a short haul flight into their hub airport.

For Cork to get a service like this would have been down to a lot of hard work by the airport and I think we should praise them rather than focus on the PR side of it.

Would you like to elaborate why you think it is not a coup? Any 4x weekly route for an airport the size of Cork is regarded as a coup, especially so if the route is to somewhere so different like Iceland and offers so many connections.

It was regarded as a catch for Dublin last year when they got the route.

Carnacalla wrote: »

It was regarded as a catch for Dublin last year when they got the route.

Only because of the same PR Spin around it being "transatlantic" which it's not. It's short haul.
    Fair enough it's new and different but Cork need to focus on landing a real transatlantic route.

Only because of the same PR Spin around it being "transatlantic" which it's not. It's short haul.
    Fair enough it's new and different but Cork need to focus on landing a real transatlantic route.

Well, not really. It was a spin of course but not as much as this Cork route IIRC.

I can't see Cork getting a transatlantic route for the foreseeable future, Norwegian have made it clear Cork was only being used to get the licence, which it looks like won't be gotten, Aer Lingus/United/Delta/American Airlines will protect their existing routes.

That leaves nobody and nothing.

I don't understand why people are so driven on "TRANSATLANTIC" for Cork to the point where they would be happy with the airport losing half of its European routes for one. Why should the airport focus on a vanity project as opposed to working on what its been doing very well at, European routes. The announcement yesterday only confirms this, airlines see a market at Cork for European routes and city breaks.

I don't understand why people are so driven on "TRANSATLANTIC" for Cork

FDI
    to the point where they would be happy with the airport losing half of its European routes for one.

Is that an opinion you have, or do you actually know of people who would be happy with Cork airport losing half of its European routes?

I think transatlantic is critical but would not be happy with losing other routes.

FDI

Is that an opinion you have, or do you actually know of people who would be happy with Cork airport losing half of its European routes?

I think transatlantic is critical but would not be happy with losing other routes.
    I for one would not be happy and don't know of anyone who would be happy to see the loss of european routes. While it is good news a non-stop T/A service is badly needed considering the ammount of US based industry that is in Cork region.
    Another 1000' on to the runway would'nt go astray either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lxflyer wrote: »
    It's a brand new short haul route for the airport to somewhere never served before - that's the good news story. There's been enough bad news of late.

The potential connections west are a bonus.

WOW were guilty of the same PR spin antics when they launched the Dublin-Reykjavik route, announcing it as a transatlantic service - it's purely a short haul flight into their hub airport.

For Cork to get a service like this would have been down to a lot of hard work by the airport and I think we should praise them rather than focus on the PR side of it.

TBH in this case it's KEF that's the bonus and connections will make or break the route. ORK-KEF point to point x4 weekly is not remotely sustainable long term unless connections are good.

Wow have likely done their homework but my view is holding at x4 weekly could be them been very optimistic!
    ____

IB have also confirmed their return in 2017.....all eyes turn to KLM and their plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

Any idea if Cork to La Rochelle is on for next summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭VG31

Oriordad wrote: »
    Any idea if Cork to La Rochelle is on for next summer.

I'm fairly sure that all of CityJet's routes from Cork are cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

VG31 wrote:

Well Niall Mc Carthy was just on 96fm and he said those routes will be running in 2017

• Advertisement

VG31 wrote: »
    Only the one to LCY.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Are CityJet supposed to be starting it up again?

Lustrum wrote: »
    Are CityJet supposed to be starting it up again?
    Hav'nt heard anything about it, would have expected an announcement by now if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Daily flights to Boston and New York next summer - are they over reaching?? Should they not try out 3 times a week maybe? Then again maybe a major airline knows more than me!
    http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressreleases/norwegian-outlines-next-steps-for-irish-transatlantic-routes-following-us-approvals-for-irish-subsidiary-1680711

Daily flights to Boston and New York next summer - are they over reaching?? Should they not try out 3 times a week maybe? Then again maybe a major airline knows more than me!
    http://media.norwegian.com/uk/#/pressreleases/norwegian-outlines-next-steps-for-irish-transatlantic-routes-following-us-approvals-for-irish-subsidiary-1680711
    I would have thought weekly or twice weekly would have been enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

EI announced their summer schedule From Cork today

http://www.independent.ie/life/travel/travel-news/aer-lingus-announces-over-one-million-seats-for-cork-airport-35297269.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-to-offer-1-1m-seats-from-cork-in-2017-1.2907319

Most interesting is the fifth rotation to Heathrow in peak summer I think. To the people who denounced the IAG takeover claiming that the Heathrow slots ex ORK and SNN were under threat, I'd love to see their reaction now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does this mean they will base an extra aircraft ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Locker10a wrote: »
    Does this mean they will base an extra aircraft ?

No, extra LHR is DUB operated. The to other "increases" aren't much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Where did the extra slot for Heathrow come from?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

kub wrote: »
    Where did the extra slot for Heathrow come from?

Aer Lingus own plenty of Heathrow slots, and I understand that many of them are rented to other airlines, so perhaps they just re-jiged things and created an extra one available

Advertisement