Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Taste Halloween Costumes

Options
  • 21-10-2016 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭

We have a halloween company BBQ this weekend and its fancy dress. Each department / team was asked for the laugh to try and coordinate their costumes e.g. the data team are going as Ninja turtles all 6 of them. We decided for the laugh to go as kinda Damo and Ivor inspired Chav's (5 of us in the team 4 lads 1girl) we thought it was a gas idea , Celtic tops stained grey cotton trackies fake nike basball hats , hoopy earings , leopard print etc.

We all went for chavs over southsiders because we felt most of us probably dress like stereotypical southsiders (only one of the lads is though) anyway with me 2 of the lads and the girls boyfried all being leinster season ticket holders etc , leinster tops and chinos woulda been a bit of a cop out, given its a regular on causal friday anyway in our team when the lads are playing a home game the friday night.

Anyhooo long story short we got wind yesterday that a few people in other teams had taken a bit of offence to our idea and felt we were making a laugh of poor people or something. Apparently one person suggested yesterday that we might as well be doing black face or going as Nazis which i thought was a bit much , but that said i'm totally unscrupulous with this stuff have gone as a Nazi and Jimmy Saville previously out with the lads for a bit of shock factor and a laugh, would never consider it for a work gig though.

So what i want to know is do people think this is in bad taste or is it just a bit of a laugh ?

and should we change the idea given its a work event ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

If you have already gotten wind people are offended then I'd change it.

Common sense really.

I'm all for saying f you to the PC brigade but not at work.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

6 ninja turtles?
    The data team - surely they should be better at numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    6 ninja turtles?
    The data team - surely they should be better at numbers.

hahahahaha that's been a running joke in the office for the last week and a half believe it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go as sexy nuns.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Do Irish people really use the term chavs? Very english.

Skangers or skobies for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How could people get offended by that? Seriously

biko wrote: »
    Go as sexy nuns.

Already a team of all lads doing that one :P
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Do Irish people really use the term chavs? Very english.

Skangers or skobies for me.

Yeh i think all three and Pov's are probibly used , think it depends what part of Dublin your from or the country
    How could people get offended by that? Seriously

I have no idea like but apprently some people who are from more working class areas thought it was in really bad taste and were apprently very bent outta shape yesterday , i wasnt in the office at all the last 3 days but got filled in over brekie this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

If people are taking offence to what they perceive as you mocking poor people then they themselves are saying that poor people are basically skangers?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

No, bad taste would be dressing up as a collapsed balcony, what you described is just unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Get the costumes of priests with small childlike dolls attached at the groin.

That will make them wish you'd worn the skanger ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Another case of easily offended jerk offs.

ectoraige wrote: »
    No, bad taste would be dressing up as a collapsed balcony, what you described is just unimaginative.

id fully agree with that like, for me bein like offensive would be like the guys who went as the smiler crash victims in the UK or going as like rapefugees or something like ive seen floating around facebook.

I thought the skangers/Chavs thig would be no more contoversial then people goin as priests and nuns and that given theres probibly a few religious ppl in the office.

we actually had thought we were keeping it prety middle of the road like gien its a work thing

• Registered Users Posts: 16,577 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Sounds like a story for the Corporate Bullsh!t thread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You're looking for advice from people on here relating some office gossip you heard over breakfast this morning? Over-exaggerated office drama is happening up and down the country day in and day out.

Act like a grown-up and try to resolve the issue face-to-face with the person or persons is the only advice you should be given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Make it more specifically about Damo than skangers in general. I haven't watched the programme but there must be something you can add to the costume that'll shout "Damo". Or you could wear badges saying Damo1, Damo2, Damo-etta etc.

dav3 wrote: »
    You're looking for advice from people on here relating some office gossip you heard over breakfast this morning? Over-exaggerated office drama is happening up and down the country day in and day out.

Act like a grown-up and try to resolve the issue face-to-face with the person or persons is the only advice you should be given.

i was more looking to know if others thought this was an offensive idea given the 5 of us are a bit perplexed as to why some people are suggesting this is the same as doing black face or whatever.

I fully intend to have a chat with one or two of those ive been told made this an issue the last few days and just let them know that we can change it if its gunna cause a bit of drama

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

Make it more specifically about Damo than skangers in general. I haven't watched the programme but there must be something you can add to the costume that'll shout "Damo". Or you could wear badges saying Damo1, Damo2, Damo-etta etc.

Why not go as the cast of Damo and Ivor, have a southsider go as Damo and a northsider go as Ivor, everyone is offended equally.
    Job done

The Mulk wrote: »
    Why not go as the cast of Damo and Ivor, have a southsider go as Damo and a northsider go as Ivor, everyone is offended equally.
    Job done

we don't have any real northsiders in the team , 1 lad from Rathfarnham , 1 from Swords , 1 girl from sandymount and the other two lads are from Kildare and Carlow

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

we don't have any real northsiders in the team , 1 lad from Rathfarnham , 1 from Swords , 1 girl from sandymount and the other two lads are from Kildare and Carlow

Swords is north side :confused:

• Advertisement

1 see one northsider and one southsider (male) and a southsider female.Flip a coin for the non-Dub lads.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Keep the skanger outfit.

Kick the shít out of anyone who complains.

Claim you're just keeping in character.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Swords is north side :confused:

More North county and he's probibly the most middle class out of the lot to be honest hahahaha

I do get the idea to be honest but , he would be a hard sell as a proper Northsider if that was there issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I seen a guy dressed as a member of the KKK in Limerick for Halloween about 5/6 years ago! :eek:

Can understand taking offence to that but then again, people in Limerick don't care. I think Political Correctness is banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭Patser

This bunch are in trouble for dressing up as victims of the Alton Towers roller-coaster crash, including missing legs. So if you do want to offend as a group....

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/37714159

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Wear hats with massive peaks like Damo does and then everyone will know you are being a specific comedy character.

apprently the issue is more to do with the fact that none of us are working class, they think were just taking the P!ss out of people from working class areas and that's not on.

I don't really see it like that to be honest , taking the p!ss out of skangers maybe but i dont think that represents even half of the people who live in working class areas and certainly no one we work with.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

apprently the issue is more to do with the fact that none of us are working class, they think were just taking the P!ss out of people from working class areas and that's not on.

I don't really see it like that to be honest , taking the p!ss out of skangers maybe but i dont think that represents even half of the people who live in working class areas and certainly no one we work with.

Ironically, the assumption that all working class people are skangers is more offensive than your costume idea.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Anyhooo long story short we got wind yesterday that a few people in other teams had taken a bit of offence to our idea and felt we were making a laugh of poor people or something.

Get your gang to go dressed as snowflakes... and at the party, be sure to go around giving out about everything in a 'OMG, so UN PC' type manner...

Those that 'took some offense' may get the message.

(if not, find them and put extra extra spicy sauce on their falafel burger...)

• Advertisement

They sound a bit precious to me!

Not all skangers come from working class areas.

If you wanted real shock value, pitch a tent in the car park and say you live there

Advertisement