Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Taste Halloween Costumes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Ironically, the assumption that all working class people are skangers is more offensive than your costume idea.

my thoughts exactly like , i think there just winging for the sake of it tbh

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Get your gang to go dressed as snowflakes... and at the party, be sure to go around giving out about everything in a 'OMG, so UN PC' type manner...

Those that 'took some offense' may get the message.

(if not, find them and put extra extra spicy sauce on their falafel burger...)

That Sir is a fking genuis idea , im gunna suggest we go as the PC police to the lads now hahahahaha had out Micro agression tickets hahahaha and lil snowflakes

Id tip my Burberry hat to you but im chucking that away now hahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

A bit lacking in imagination, a Uni crowd in engerland had a mixed reaction to dressing as Alton Tower crash victims,

Creative and cheap to make, but very risque all the same.

A bit lacking in imagination, a Uni crowd in engerland had a mixed reaction to dressing as Alton Tower crash victims,

Creative and cheap to make, but very risque all the same.

see thats the kinda thing that i would say ok fair enough it caould be taken as bad taste , likewise going a Jimmy saville , the KKK ,Nazis or Hittler , Berkly victims etc .... Orginally I though our idea was playing it a little to safe to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭RayCon

The school reminded students that anyone who is offended or troubled by an incident or a costume, they could seek counseling at the wellness center or alert the school’s Bias Education Response Team which provides support to those who were impacted.
    “If you are troubled by an incident that does occur, please know that there are many resources available. Please take advantage of the 7 day a week presence of the U Matter, We Care program at the University of Florida by emailing umatter@ufl.edu. Additionally, there is a 24/7 counselor in the Counseling and Wellness Center available to speak by phone.”

Seriously ... FCUK OFF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

You're history's greatest monster OP, they're called scangers round these parts not Chavs.

Me I'd go in a Donald Trump mask ala Nixon. I am not a crook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I can't believe you consider yourselves so inherently middleclass it wouldn't make sense for half of you to go as 'southsiders' given you're from swords, rathfarnham & Kildare.

Either do Damo & Ivor theme or don't. Dressing up as scobies IS offensive.

Katgurl wrote: »
    I can't believe you consider yourselves so inherently middleclass it wouldn't make sense for half of you to go as 'southsiders' given you're from swords, rathfarnham & Kildare.

Either do Damo & Ivor theme or don't. Dressing up as scobies IS offensive.

How ? like i said we all are pretty middle class so leninster hoodies / jersey whatever and |Chinos would be failry standard of a casual friday for the lads on my team. short of actually sticking on a pair of Dubes not sure how we could do the Ivor piece hahaha

But seriously, hows it offensive ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

dav3 wrote: »
    You're looking for advice from people on here relating some office gossip you heard over breakfast this morning? Over-exaggerated office drama is happening up and down the country day in and day out.

Act like a grown-up and try to resolve the issue face-to-face with the person or persons is the only advice you should be given.

yes he's asking peoples opinions from outside the office, you worried we're gonna run out of internet or something?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I actually dressed up as a skanger myself for Halloween before, many many years ago :D

Got a lot of compliments for it, anyone being offended wasn't even a consideration.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think Whiskeyman is onto a winner.
    Apparently one person suggested yesterday that we might as well be doing black face or going as Nazis which i thought was a bit much ,
    Bunch of joyless curtain pullers. They should just skip to being a grumpy old fecker youth doesn't suit them. If someone had said that to me I would have gone as a black face nazi. if they're that easily upset they deserve everything they get. They seem to want to stick to childrens cartoon characters that they're mammies have approved. But that cartoon promotes the abuse and trade of exotic animals.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    I actually dressed up as a skanger myself for Halloween before, many many years ago :D

Got a lot of compliments for it, anyone being offended wasn't even a consideration.

What were the complaints GLaDos , i'd love to know ... spoke to a few in here at lunch who wee saying it was about the fact none of us were working class and we just looked like snobs looking down on working class people and areas.

I would still contest that the a typical skanger / Skobie / Chav caricature we were going as is not representative of even half of working class people or people from those kind of areas.

I think it more had to do with the fact none of us are from that backround in fact one of the girls who had an issue said exactly that which seemed a bit odd to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

If that was my group I would now dress up as the PC Police and hand out tickets to all those that took offence to your initial idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

Jesus christ people are moany bloody cnuts these days aren't they.

Offending poor people. Sweet jesus.

Poor people aren't all skangers like. Most of them are obviously, but not all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

yes he's asking peoples opinions from outside the office, you worried we're gonna run out of internet or something?

He's asking for people's opinions based on hearsay. The OP hasn't actually been approached by anyone complaining about his costume, he's merely passing on office gossip from the canteen.

Without seeing the actual costumes or, more importantly, the behaviour of the people when wearing the costumes, I'll hold back on slapping the OP and his mates on the back and telling them they're great lads.

Every year there's someone offend by someone offended at their costume.

Perhaps it is offensive to some people, perhaps we don't have all the details, perhaps everyone in the company think that the OP and his friends are all pr*cks and are using this as an opportunity to have a go at them.

jester77 wrote: »
    If that was my group I would now dress up as the PC Police and hand out tickets to all those that took offence to your initial idea.

talked to my own group at lunch and we've decided to do exactly that , were trying to come us with stupid reasons to be offended and out raged by all the other groups outfits hahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

He's asking for people's opinions based on hearsay. The OP hasn't actually been approached by anyone complaining about his costume, he's merely passing on office gossip from the canteen.

Without seeing the actual costumes or, more importantly, the behaviour of the people when wearing the costumes, I'll hold back on slapping the OP and his mates on the back and telling them they're great lads.

Perhaps it is offensive to some people, perhaps we don't have all the details, perhaps everyone in the company think that the OP and his friends are all pr*cks and are using this as an opportunity to have a go at them.

Here pal, AH is fcuked. All we gots left is other peoples office drama and housemate arguments and the occasional rogue creature scaring the shyte out of someone. Don't go trying to take it away from us.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Get your gang to go dressed as snowflakes... and at the party, be sure to go around giving out about everything in a 'OMG, so UN PC' type manner...

(if not, find them and put extra extra spicy sauce on their falafel burger...)
    This. Be sure to include saying "triggered" at least once a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Jesus christ people are moany bloody cnuts these days aren't they.

Offending poor people. Sweet jesus.

Poor people aren't all skangers like. Most of them are obviously, but not all.

That's the thing isn't it though. It's not like something is offensive or not. It's a sliding scale. The costume is kinda offensive. It's pretty low on the offensiveness scale. It's certainly not a nazi level offensive.

As someone on the first page said, it's for work so **** it, don't use that costume. HR tend not to see a sliding scale for them it's either offensive or not.

i wast really here say it was said to two member of the team yesterday at lunch directly and there was a bit of row over it , then they let us no we might have to change the idea before we went and got customes and acessories and s!it today.

I was only really asking if anyone actualy found this offensive or were the others over reating and should we change plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

This is what the party is going to be like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I love that Swords isn't Northside enough for you.

Clontarf? Malahide any better?

Ush1 wrote: »
    I love that Swords isn't Northside enough for you.

Clontarf? Malahide any better?

Ah now Swords isn't proper Northside (yes it is notrh of the river) but i would have always thought it was a pretty middle class area , not as much so as Clontarf , Portmarnock , Howth or Malahide and like i said before its more about the person with that one any , he certainly could not be classed as in anyway working class , in fact i'm pretty sure he's wearing deck shoes right now hahahahahaha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭HellSquirrel

I like this idea. Also, if you want to add some bad punnage, wear little Mac badges with a line through them. Only PCs allowed.

Oooon the other hand, it's a work party and probably best not to cause a kerfuffle or bad feelings, even if it is for a rather daft reason. Kinda up to you how much of a statement you want to make and how much you want to live with the consequences regarding HR!

I like this idea. Also, if you want to add some bad punnage, wear little Mac badges with a line through them. Only PCs allowed.

Oooon the other hand, it's a work party and probably best not to cause a kerfuffle or bad feelings, even if it is for a rather daft reason. Kinda up to you how much of a statement you want to make and how much you want to live with the consequences regarding HR!

TBH id be surprised if anyone actually went to HR i mean how much of a sap would you have to be to make a formal complaint about a halloween costume

Though i would love to see them explain that one , We wer offnded so they changed and mad fun of our being offend , now were offended that they made fun of our being offended , the BBQ should be a Safe Space free from all Micro Agressions hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

TBH id be surprised if anyone actually went to HR i mean how much of a sap would you have to be to make a formal complaint about a halloween costume

Though i would love to see them explain that one , We wer offnded so they changed and mad fun of our being offend , now were offended that they made fun of our being offended , the BBQ should be a Safe Space free from all Micro Agressions hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaah

I can imagine the HR guy/girl sitting there thinking "That's it, no more fcuking Halloween parties from now on, I've got enough work already"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

What were the complaints GLaDos

Complements, not complaints :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

You would have to be a complete idiot to risk wearing an offensive costume to a work function. Grow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You would have to be a complete idiot to risk wearing an offensive costume to a work function. Grow up.
    He's not wearing something offensive, some people have just decided to become offended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

ScumLord wrote: »
    He's not wearing something offensive, some people have just decided to become offended.

Why take the risk at work? It's idiotic

Advertisement